Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread  (Read 98362 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »

Toronto Sun Reaches An All-Time Low
Wednesday @ 9:43 PM ET | Comments (210)
TORONTO (Oct. 17) -- The idea and execution of the front-page layout/headline in today's edition of the Toronto Sun was so astoundingly cruel and small-minded that it pains me to grace it with further attention. In so doing, I am deliberately playing into the hands of those whose decision it was to humiliate Toronto Maple Leafs' defenceman Bryan McCabe. And, for that, I apologize in advance. But, I find it impossible to ignore such blatant idiocy.

On the morning after our federal government's Speech from the Throne; after an elderly Toronto couple was found dead from an apparent murder-suicide, and with the world-wide manhunt for an alleged pedophile from British Columbia gaining momentum, the Sun chose to feature -- on its cover-page -- a photo of a beleagured hockey player beneath a headline that read: "BRYAN McKLUTZ". It was somebody's wretched stab at humor on the heels of McCabe's overtime blunder in Buffalo Monday night, when an attempted clearing pass in the goalcrease ricocheted off the post and into the net behind teammate Andrew Raycroft. The fact it demonstrates a narrow, pitiable approach to selling its product is obviously of no concern to Sun executives, and what a departure that is from days gone by.

Make no mistake, a decision like this is not accidental. In fact, it is meticulously planned. It requires a meeting of the paper's top-level editorial personnel; the wilfull choice to ignore legitimate news on its front page; and the approval of a staff member's hairbrained idea. In this case, it sparks of absolute desperation... an appeal for purchase to the lowest common denominator among readers. We are talking here about a brilliantly conceived newspaper, just more than two week's shy of its 36th birthday. A tabloid concept that evolved, in late-1971, from the demise of the old Toronto Telegram. One that industry experts predicted would never establish a foot-hold in our conservative, snooty town.

The fact the Sun not only gained footing here, but thrived beyond imagination, is a credit to those with seemingly more aptitude and grace than the current executive. I can't imagine the forefathers of the newspaper -- Douglas Creighton and Donald Hunt -- approving of such a wickedly unkind decision like the one to demean McCabe. Same applies to Peter Worthington, the classy, sage columnist that has contributed to the Sun since its inception. Veteran George Gross, another original who directed the sports department for so many years, takes a dim view of today's media critics. I can only imagine, therefore, how irritated he is by the McKLUTZ headline. And, I am certain the paper would never have reached so deeply when Paul Godfrey roamed the offices as chief poobah.

It is important for me to emphasize that the front-page stupidity should not cast a shadow on the writers who cover hockey and other sports for the newspaper. I have a number of friends and colleagues at the Sun; people I have long admired as professionals and human beings. Opinionated, tough-minded writers who would know when to stop short of such mindless exploitation. Names like Mike Zeisberger, Steve Simmons, Lance Hornby, Dave Fuller, Terry Koshan, Bill Lankhoff, Ken Fidlin... and one of my closest pals -- layout editor Joel Colomby.

I'm thinking that none of the abovementioned was overly proud to see the cover of his newspaper this morning.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2007, 08:38:02 PM »

^^ So the world dosent want to be depressed first thing in the morning... So put sports on the cover.. No biggie to me

Being from Toronto what do you think Malcolm??
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 03:38:34 PM »

http://origin.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/nhl_giving_it_another_try

Love it!

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2007, 12:51:29 PM »

REPORT: LINDROS TO RETIRE.

TSN: Darren Dreger tonight reports Eric Lindros hasn't made it official yet, but during today's announcement of the NHLPA's hiring of Paul Kelly as their new Executive Director Lindros made it clear to the media that his playing days are behind him, due to years of accumulated injuries. It's believed he could be hired by the PA as an ombudsman.

This sucks...Lindros was one of the best....He had better get into the Hall Of Fame

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:35 PM »

Tocchet suspended until February 2008

The National Hockey League has suspended Rick Tocchet until February 7, 2008 for his role in Operation Slapshot.

His suspension is conditional upon his ability to refrain from gambling in any way in the future. He must also  submit himself to NHL-NHLPA doctors to see if he has an issue with compulsive gambling.

Tocchet, who was an assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes at the time of the incident, has been on indefinite leave since February 7, 2006.

Commissioner Gary Bettman also reserves the right to further discipline him if he doesn't observe the terms and conditions of the suspension.

''Employment and participation in the National Hockey League is an honour and privilege that can't be taken for granted,'' Bettman said during a news conference Thursday. ''I felt that two years was the appropriate punishment.''

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2007, 07:00:04 PM »

Forsberg's return takes turn for the worse

Peter Forsberg's comeback to professional hockey has seemingly taken a turn for the worse.According to the Globe and Mail, Forsberg left the ice at Sweden's national team practice on Monday after an hour, saying his ankle wasn't holding up.
"It's extremely tough and I know that everyone can understand how I feel," he told a Swedish television station.
"It doesn't feel good, I always try to stay positive, but today is a very dark day."

Forsberg was skating with the team and hoped to play in the Karjala Cup - a four-team international tournament. The former Hart Trophy winner was going to use the event as a measuring stick to see if his ankle would be able to withstand the rigors of an NHL season.

'I will have to go back to one of the doctors to see if there's something I can do.'' Forsberg added. ''I'm not going to play if it's not working. I might as well retire.''The 13-year NHL veteran had been reluctant to talk about his plans to return, but was every emotional after leaving the ice.

''I've never been so close to the end of my career," he said. "I'm not going to retire today, I'm going to check with the doctors to see one more time what can be done. They should be able to fix it. I don't want it to be any major procedures, if it's a small thing they can fix, I'll be okay, if not I think I'll let it be. It's looking pretty dark."

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2007, 05:08:30 PM »

Lindros officially announces retirement

LONDON, Ont. - Eric Lindros combined the announcement of his retirement as an NHL player on Thursday with one of the largest one-time donations ever received by the London Health Sciences Foundation.

The Big E is giving $5 million to the facility.

The money will support hospital programs including the Fowler Kennedy Sports Medicine Clinic where Lindros was treated during his playing career.

The 34-year-old centre was at the London Hunt and Country Club for a dinner honouring clinic co-founder Dr. Peter Fowler. Lindros was born at London Health Science Centre's Victoria Hospital.
Related Info

* Clarke says Lindros is a Hall of Famer

''Eric's generosity is a tremendous boost to the dedicated team of researchers and health care workers at London Health Sciences Centre,'' said Fowler.

Lindros lauded Fowler's work.

''I believe him to be simply the best,'' said Lindros. ''Not only is he a world-class surgeon, but also tops as a teacher and inspiration to other doctors.''

Lindros quipped that, in moving into a new phase of his life outside the NHL, that he'd signed a five-year contract to play Monday nights in the Toronto area.

Lindros finished his playing career with 372 goals and 493 assists for 865 points, while being assessed 1,398 penalty minutes, in 760 NHL games with the Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs and Dallas Stars. Numerous concussions and other injuries restricted him to an average of only 58 games a season over 13 campaigns, but he was an impact player when in his prime.

He won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's MVP in 1995.

Some of his best hockey was in Canada's colours. He was on two teams that won world junior championships, he was on Canada's victorious 1991 Canada Cup team, and he won gold (2002) and silver (1992) Olympic medals.

Lindros is expected to join the staff of the NHL Players' Association.

The Hockey Hall Of Fame becomes a joke if Lindros dosent get in

Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2007, 04:03:34 PM »

Lindros shouldn't get into the HOF. If he does something afterwards as a builder, I'm fine with it, but based on his playing career. He definately doesn't deserve a Hall nod.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2007, 04:12:20 PM »

Lundqvist is the best damn goalie in the world yes if only he'd play for the leafs

Lindros shouldn't get into the HOF. If he does something afterwards as a builder, I'm fine with it, but based on his playing career. He definately doesn't deserve a Hall nod.

lindros should get in to HoF no question 'bout it
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2007, 01:37:53 PM »

Ducks place goalie Bryzgalov on waivers

The Stanley Cup champions placed the 27-year-old goaltender on waivers Friday. Ducks GM Brian Burke had been trying to trade the netminder since the start of the season but was unable to find a fit.

"What I promised Bryz is that I would find him a place to play," Burke told The Canadian Press on Friday. "Bryz is a great kid and a loyal soldier. He's won three playoff rounds for us and he deserves to play somewhere. But I was unable to move him.

"The single, biggest obstacle was that he's unrestricted at the end of the year. I wasn't offered anything of value for him. But I promised him, 'If I can't get something of value for you, we'll put you on waivers."'

Bryzgalov is earning US$1.36 million this season and will be an unrestricted free agent July 1. The Ducks signed Swiss netminder Jonas Hiller to back up star goalie J.S. Giguere last spring. Hiller was sent to Portland of the AHL but will be called up.

Should he clear waivers, which seems unlikely, Bryzgalov will be sent to Portland.

Bryzgalov said goodbye to his Anaheim teammates after Thursday night's 6-3 victory at Los Angeles. Bryzgalov was hoping for a chance to start somewhere else.

"In my mind, he's earned this," said Burke. "When a player gives you everything he has and he's a quality person, he deserves a chance to play. And if you can't manufacture that chance, then this is the way you have to do it."

Bryzgalov is 2-3-1 this season with a 2.55 goals-against average and .909 save percentage. He's 26-23-8 for his NHL career with a 2.48 GAA and .909 save percentage. He was taken 44th overall by Anaheim in the 2000 NHL entry draft.
Click here to find out more!

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »

Coyotes claim Bryzgalov off waivers

The Phoenix Coyotes claimed goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov off waivers on Saturday. The 27-year-old will get the start in goal this afternoon when the club visits the LA Kings.

Bryzgalov could become the No. 1 goaltender in Phoenix, where Alex Auld and Mikael Tellqvist have been splitting starts.

"We are excited to bring in a world class goaltender with a Stanley Cup on his resume," Coyotes GM Don Maloney told The Canadian Press. "At 27 years old, he is just entering his prime and we look forward to having him in our lineup."

''We are very happy for Ilya,'' said Ducks GM Brian Burke. ''He's a great kid who deserves a chance to be a starting NHL goaltender. We thank him for all he has accomplished in a Ducks uniform, and we wish him well with Phoenix.''

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2007, 12:25:55 AM »

Capitals fire Hanlon; Boudreau takes over

The Washington Capitals have fired head coach Glen HanlonBruce Boudreau has been named the team's interim head coach, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.The Capitals have been a disappoitment this season with a 6-13-1 mark. They are last in the Southwest Division, eight points behind the fourth-place Florida Panthers.
The Capitals lost to the Atlanta Thrashers 5-1 last night, with the crowd jeering the team and chanting for Hanlon's dismissal.

RJ1221
Rocker

5 dolla Spock bill!

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »

no, he was just the most dominant player of the late 90s, had the skills to do everything, was a PPG player, hart trophy winner and pearson trophy winner. if cam neely got in, lindros definately should
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »

NHL approves sale of Predators

The National Hockey League's Board of Governors have approved the sale of the Nashville Predators to a local group headed by David Freeman.

NHL approves new schedule format

For its new-look schedule, the National Hockey League will be going back to an old look.The NHL has approved a scheduling format that will have each team play 24 divisional games, 40 in-conference matchups, 15 games against non-conference teams and three wild card games against out of conference teams."Every team will play every other team at least once," commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters after the day's Board of Governors meetings."And we did it notwithstanding that this is likely to be the third year in a row with record attendance and the fact that divisional games are better attended than any others we did want to be responsive to the fans."

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »

will the predators move to another city or stay?
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2007, 03:44:47 PM »

will the predators move to another city or stay?

Stay

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2007, 09:03:44 PM »

I'm glad they are changing the schedule. I liked when everyone played eachother at least once.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »

I like the wild card idea.... Will they be home games?? How will they prevent teams from getting over booked??
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2007, 11:21:36 AM »

I would guess something like after a team has been chosen 3 times they wont be able to be picked again?

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2007, 11:08:16 PM »

Ducks confirm Niedermayer's return

The Anaheim Ducks made it official Wednesday as the team announced that Scott Niedermayer would return for the remainder of the season.

The announcement, made prior to the Ducks game against the Buffalo Sabres, ended weeks of speculation surrounding the four-time Stanley Cup champion's pseudo-retirement.

"We are obviously very pleased that Scotty has chosen to come back and play," said Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. "He earned the right to take time in making a decision, one that was clearly difficult for him."

The three-time all-star has not played this season after capturing the Conn Smythe trophy last season while helping lead the Ducks to their first Stanley Cup in franchise history.  He has been under suspension by the team after failing to report to Ducks training camp as he has mulled retirement.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: