Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 11:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228136 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread  (Read 92447 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #280 on: April 30, 2008, 12:58:46 PM »

HOLY SHIIIIIIITE!!!!!!!!!!

NY Radio Stations are reporting that Sean Avery was taken to the Hospital last night -  passed out - possible cardiac arrest?Huh

If I hear more, I'll post it

haha hope he's kinda ok... but i hope hes out for at least a year

karma is a bitch  Grin

peace  Yeah, if he was on another team, I'd kinda have mixed feelings  too, I admit that

Apparently he's got a ruptured spleen and is DONE LIKE DINNER - out for the year

Fuck!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #281 on: April 30, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »

^^ Yeah he should be able to play some of next season...

Who was it... Forsberg who came back for the playoffs after that, and kicked ass?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #282 on: April 30, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »

NY Radio Stations are reporting that Sean Avery was taken to the Hospital last night -  passed out - possible cardiac arrest?Huh

Lacerated spleen.

He's at St. Vincents...came in about 3 AM, in cardiac arrest and not breathing.

He's done for the playoffs, that's for certain...but he's doing fine and is expected to make a full recovery.

Spleens tend to heal well, and I'd bet dollars to donuts he'll be back by the beginning of next season.

No physical activity for 6 weeks-ish.  He'll be back to normal, if his case is typical, within 4 to 6 months.

Edit: Depending on severity, he could actually recover quicker.  Maybe as soon as 2 months.....the estimate above was estimating based on a severe grade of splenic laceration.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:15:35 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #283 on: April 30, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »

Lacerated spleen.

He's done for the playoffs, that's for certain...but he's doing fine and is expected to make a full recovery.

Spleens tend to heal well, and I'd bet dollars to donuts he'll be back by the beginning of next season.

No physical activity for 6 weeks-ish.  He'll be back to normal, if his case is typical, within 4 to 6 months.

Edit: Depending on severity, he could actually recover quicker.  Maybe as soon as 2 months.....the estimate above was estimating based on a severe grade of splenic laceration.

Hey Batman...that was an interesting explanation - have you had this injury or someone in your family?  Or are you a doctor or something?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #284 on: April 30, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »

Hey Batman...that was an interesting explanation - have you had this injury or someone in your family?  Or are you a doctor or something?

NOT a doctor (or a nurse, or anything like that).

But I work in the health care industry....sort of on the IT side...for an Ivy League affiliated health care institution.

The "piece" I work for sees lots of Motor Vehicle, Motorcycle and..well..even sports related injury.   Splenic lacs are not uncommon amongst people  with that injury cause, and, while I couldn't diagnose one to save my life, I do talk with the docs, pull lots of data for research, etc.  So I have at least a passing familiarity with recovery times, etc.  Certainly in a laymans perspective, though...and NOT in a trained medical professional perspective.

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #285 on: April 30, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »

NOT a doctor (or a nurse, or anything like that).

But I work in the health care industry....sort of on the IT side...for an Ivy League affiliated health care institution.

The "piece" I work for sees lots of Motor Vehicle, Motorcycle and..well..even sports related injury.   Splenic lacs are not uncommon amongst people  with that injury cause, and, while I couldn't diagnose one to save my life, I do talk with the docs, pull lots of data for research, etc.  So I have at least a passing familiarity with recovery times, etc.  Certainly in a laymans perspective, though...and NOT in a trained medical professional perspective.

Fooled me pal. You spoke like a Man in the know , that's for sure

Is a Splenic Lac caused by a hit or something, or can it just go on it's own?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:23 PM »

Usually blunt force trauma.  Hit, Fall, whack in the back/side with a stick....something like that.  They don't just "happen on their own".  They do happen in sports sometimes...usually in football...sometimes in hockey....almost NEVER in baseball or basketball.  Heck, the only baseball one I can think of was one involving 2 outfielders colliding.

They're not as frequent as, say, the orthopedic injuries in sports.  But they're not completely out of left field, either.

Edit: Another thing:  The reason I'm thinking the lac grade is pretty severe is how quickly he was symptomatic.  Some guys, in football, go 12 to 18+ hours without realizing they're injured (or that they're THIS kind of injured...they think they pulled something or are dehydrated).  Then they start to bloat in the belly and pee tomato soup (all from the internal bleed), and realize they need to get to the ER, pronto.  He became symptomatic AND bled out enough to cause cardiac arrest in about...what....5 hours from the end of the game?  Just from my laymans logic, that would mean the lac was more severe because he was bleeding faster.  It could also just mean he took a handful of ibuprofen or worse, asprin, and his body wasn't clotting.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:18:49 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »

ESPN just reported that was false... He walked into the hospital on his own
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »

ESPN just reported that was false... He walked into the hospital on his own

Yup, I just read the report.  Daily News was the one with the initial report...

I certainly wasn't claiming any inside knowledge of his stay at St. Vincents....just relaying what had been reported.

That report also indicates he was simply in pain, and went with the team Doc to the hospital.  Might mean the laceration is less severe, too.  Might not...but it certainly not as bad of a sign as "3 AM, in cardiac arrest and not breathing" would be.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:47:21 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

Usually blunt force trauma.  Hit, Fall, whack in the back/side with a stick....something like that.  They don't just "happen on their own".  They do happen in sports sometimes...usually in football...sometimes in hockey....almost NEVER in baseball or basketball.  Heck, the only baseball one I can think of was one involving 2 outfielders colliding.

They're not as frequent as, say, the orthopedic injuries in sports.  But they're not completely out of left field, either.

Edit: Another thing:  The reason I'm thinking the lac grade is pretty severe is how quickly he was symptomatic.  Some guys, in football, go 12 to 18+ hours without realizing they're injured (or that they're THIS kind of injured...they think they pulled something or are dehydrated).  Then they start to bloat in the belly and pee tomato soup (all from the internal bleed), and realize they need to get to the ER, pronto.  He became symptomatic AND bled out enough to cause cardiac arrest in about...what....5 hours from the end of the game?  Just from my laymans logic, that would mean the lac was more severe because he was bleeding faster.  It could also just mean he took a handful of ibuprofen or worse, asprin, and his body wasn't clotting.

If I remember correctly ,the spleen is what shelved Chris Simms' career for awhile too
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »

If I remember correctly ,the spleen is what shelved Chris Simms' career for awhile too

Yup, same type of injury...though Simms was worse.  He had to have surgery...and I'm pretty sure they removed the spleen altogether.

Edit: I checked.  Simms was ruptured, while this is a laceration.  Similar, but not EXACTLY the same,.  A rupture is MUCH worse, and ruptured spleens typically require surgery.  Lacerations (depending on grade) can often heal on their own.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 02:54:33 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »

I certainly wasn't claiming any inside knowledge of his stay at St. Vincents....just relaying what had been reported.

Oh I know...  ok

That is quite the false report tho  hihi
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »

[
Oh I know...  ok

I agree....sort of a BIG thing to get wrong, if they did (and it looks like they did).

but....Eh...it's the Daily News.  I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. 

Together again,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »

[
Oh I know...  ok

I agree....sort of a BIG thing to get wrong, if they did (and it looks like they did).

but....Eh...it's the Daily News.  I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. 

The radio station was reporting that he collapsed as well, don't feel bad

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »

RANGERS' AVERY TAKEN TO HOSPITAL WITH LACERATED SPLEEN

Sean Avery has a lacerated spleen and will be out for the remainder of the season.

The laceration was detected with a CT scan after Avery was taken to hospital directly following Game 3 with the Penguins.

"He's stable and everything is going to be okay," Rangers vice president of public relations and player recruitment John Rosasco told TSN.

Avery suffered the injury during Game 3 but the Rangers are unsure of exactly when it occurred. The winger's pain got continuously worse during the game and became more of an issue when play concluded. Team doctor, Dr. Andrew Feldman, suspected Avery had suffered an injury to his spleen and the pair were driven to hospital. Avery entered the hospital under his own power and checked in between 10:30 pm et  and 11pm et.

According to Rosasco, Avery never lost consciousness and never stopped breathing, and his condition was never considered life threatening.

The CT scan detected bleeding and the lacerated spleen and Avery is expected to remain in hospital for the next few days.

The Rangers expect Avery to make a full recovery in the off-season.

The 28-year-old winger played over 14 minutes in the Rangers 5-3 loss to the Penguins on Wednesday. He recorded one assist and had three shots on net.

During the regular season Avery picked up 15 goal and 18 assists, with a plus-6 rating over his 57 games. He has four goals and three assists in eight playoff games.

The bad news did not end with Avery. Both Chris Drury and Blair Betts were injured on Wednesday.

Drury has a torso injury and his status for Game 4 will be determined on Thursday.

Head coach Tom Renney said that Betts has likely suffered a broken jaw after taking a puck in the face on Tuesday night. The team is waiting to see if he will be able to play in Game 4.

The Rangers are down 3-0 to the Penguins in their best-of-seven series. Game 4 goes Thursday in New York.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »

Well i think this kills any slim chance we had of coming back in this series. We are not the same team without Avery. We lack a real toughness without him.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #296 on: May 01, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »

And the Rangers live to fight another day. They clearly dominated this one.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #297 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »

beer

Complete game by the Rangers - Jagr really has been un-believable this series

One game at a time Timothy.......The pressure is shifting towards being on the Pens now.......
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2008, 10:28:42 PM »

They played the end of November Rain during the second period tonight Cheesy

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #299 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »

beer

Complete game by the Rangers - Jagr really has been un-believable this series

One game at a time Timothy.......The pressure is shifting towards being on the Pens now.......

We win the next one i say anything can happen. We're good at home and anything can happen in a game 7.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: