Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Is Ticket Scalping Illegal?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Ticket Scalping Illegal?  (Read 3037 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« on: June 28, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »

I was just watching Sienfeld and they said ticket scalping is illegal? But when I go into the ACC and stuff there all over the place...so why dont the cops grab em if it is?

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:17:31 AM »

Yes, it is. However, the cops have bigger things to worry about than people getting ripped off. (Donut breaks lol)

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Mama Kin
VIP

It's Just a Ride

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 01:26:36 AM »

I was just watching Sienfeld and they said ticket scalping is illegal? But when I go into the ACC and stuff there all over the place...so why dont the cops grab em if it is?

Probably because at least half of the scalper's are undercover cops.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 01:27:25 AM »

It used to be, but laws have changed and they now have a cap on the percent increase per ticket according to the state it is sold in. If I remember correctly.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 01:40:25 AM »

It used to be, but laws have changed and they now have a cap on the percent increase per ticket according to the state it is sold in. If I remember correctly.

That's pretty much correct.  It varies from state to state.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 01:50:54 AM »

Or you could just use eBay to sell your tickets and to combat scalping they have a policy like the price cap talked about earlier.  However it's based upon your word...so basically you just say oh the face value of this ticket was $500 and then it gives you pretty much unlimited range.  I'm guilty of scalping tickets once (even though it was to retarded goth kids in Philly), but I made like $400 bucks on a $30 investment.  I also purchased scalped tickets to a few concerts so it all works itself out. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 02:26:11 PM »

It is in the backwater dumb fuck state of Ky, but not in Indiana.

Question: Hey ... why doesn't Tn. fall into Al.
Anser: Ky. sucks

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »

Interesting take.  Personally, I despise ticket scalping.  A bunch of brokers and what not, buying up tickets they have no intention of using, jacking up the price, and reselling them while doing very little real work?  Fuck them.  Get a real job, and stop trying to rip people off!  rant

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:47:12 PM »

How about the mark up on cars? Furniture (almost 400 percent), home loans, car loans?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »

How about the mark up on cars? Furniture (almost 400 percent), home loans, car loans?

Don't get me started.  The difference is that the ticket price is the retail price.  You don't have to buy bulk to get the ticket price...you just have to be lucky enough to be in line ahead of all the brokers and scalpers. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 03:32:57 PM »

Interesting take. Personally, I despise ticket scalping. A bunch of brokers and what not, buying up tickets they have no intention of using, jacking up the price, and reselling them while doing very little real work? Fuck them. Get a real job, and stop trying to rip people off! rant

Workers of the World Unite ... seriously !!!

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »

Just don't sell to a clown...

In California, or at least L.A., you are allowed to scalp, but you can only mark up the price by a whopping $1.
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 05:27:59 PM »

In Michigan, you couldn't resell tickets at all, even at the same face value.  Not sure if that's still the law, but it used to be.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 05:52:24 PM »

Mal Brossard, nice avatar!  Keep posting!!!   yes

hmm, now I have to talk about tickets?  I like the limited % mark-up option and serious penalties on violators...yeah, serious penalties rule.   yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »

Don't get me started.  The difference is that the ticket price is the retail price.  You don't have to buy bulk to get the ticket price...you just have to be lucky enough to be in line ahead of all the brokers and scalpers. 

Pretty much impossible to get that lucky for a high profile show.  I cant count the times Ive been in nose-bleeds after buying tickets the SECOND they went on sale. 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 03:33:58 AM »

You don't have to buy bulk to get the ticket price...you just have to be lucky enough to be in line ahead of all the brokers and scalpers. 

Or have a speedy web browser.

I understand your anger, and agree a bit. But people willing to pay the prices, drive that market.

Like I said, go apply for a mortgage and see how many try to take you to the cleaners. They'll tack on .5-1.5% on to the rate quoted and hope you take it. Car loans are the same way. People pay thousands extra for services. At least these brokers are more honest, they'll fucking you right up front and not on the back end.

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 09:18:36 AM »

in the UK it's illegal resell tickets for sporting events.

at the moment anything else is fair game, though apparently some members of the govt. want to make it illegal.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 09:32:31 PM »

Its illegal in Australia (at least in my state) to resell a ticket for anything other than the face value.

Interesting really...like in every other industry it would be called a secondary market....in tickets its illegal...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: