Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 09:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228142 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  POLL- Contraband or Libertad: which do you like better
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: POLL- Contraband or Libertad: which do you like better  (Read 8853 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »

^
See I dont agree.

Everyone talks of this Hook and that Hook

I personally don't hear it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeraldFord
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »

The hook is in the lush, melodic chorus.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:39 PM »

Hmm, I thought Libertad was much, much richer than CB. Never cared for "Illegal i Song." I thought it was the most generic, boring song on the whole CD. But I really like "Big Machine" though. "She Mine" and SBQM have grown on me a lot.

I wonder if Vedder and comp. will sure VR for ripping off "State of Love and Trust" in "For a Brother."

Weiland's vocal melody might be similar, but aside from that, they sound nothing alike. State Of Love & Trust rocks, while For A Brother doesn't.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
GeraldFord
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 11:40:02 PM »

Not the best song, but I like "For a Brother." And the chorus is almost the same as that in SOLAT.
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 12:53:52 AM »

Contraband.  It is more rockin.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 01:23:11 AM »

Libertad.

Fuck 'Em All.
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 02:36:57 AM »

I can't really say for sure yet, as I've only heard four songs so far, but to be honest, those four tracks, which are all rockers, are far better than any four rockers on Contraband in my opinion.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 03:14:40 AM »

both of albums are rock masterpieces!!! they're gonna be classics in a few years, mainly libertad   beer
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 03:28:47 AM »

I think ''Contraband'' is better.

''Contraband'' has at least two very hard rocking, in your face songs like ''Sucker Train Blues'' and ''Slither''
''Contraband'' has at least two good ballads (''Fall To Pieces'' & ''Loving The Alien'')
''Contraband'' has a masterpiece, ''You Got No Right''
''Contraband'' has, at least, two killer, insanely vertiginous guitar solos (''Sucker Train Blues'' and ''Slither'')

In conclussion, 5 songs ranging from good to excellent, and the rest are fillers, mediocre, disposable and absolutly forgattable songs.

------------

''Libertad'' has, in my opinion, none hard rocking songs.
''Libertad'' has, in my opinion, just one killer, memorable guitar solo (the ELO cover)
''Libertad'' ballads are, in my opinion, sleeping pills, extremely boring and repetitive.
''Libertad'' has DEFINITELY no masterpieces. Masterpieces dont need 10 listenings to be recognised.

The only thing where ''Libertad'' defeats ''Contraband'' is in the overall production.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 03:45:05 AM »

Not the best song, but I like "For a Brother." And the chorus is almost the same as that in SOLAT.

SOLAT?

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 04:20:22 AM »

SOLAT?

State Of Love And Trust

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 04:28:35 AM »

I'm just wrapping up my first listen of Libertad and at this point I'm going to have to say Contraband by a good bit.  I"m not impressed it at all, but I am giong to give it another listen and write a full review.  Smiley
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 07:43:14 AM »

More disingenuousness from certain posters:

''Contraband'' has at least two very hard rocking, in your face songs like ''Sucker Train Blues'' and ''Slither''

Personally, the only hard rocking track in that album is ''Slither'', and I cant find any other.

''Contraband'' has at least two good ballads (''Fall To Pieces'' & ''Loving The Alien'')

In my case, Fall To Pieces is just a good Slash solo and nothing more.

GeraldFord
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 08:22:53 AM »

You should be a lawyer BF.

"Depends of what the definition of is, is...."
darkdays_01
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 09:27:37 AM »

I though "Mary Mary" should have been the lead single---pure ear candy.

Totally agree. That song is great.

On topic , as much as i like Contraband, i am going with Libertad. The production is great and the playing is awesome. Duff's playing is top notch as usual, Slash really stepped up on this album imo his best playing to date, and Sorum sounds better than ever.

Scott sounds great , his vocals on this one remind me alot of STP's Shangri La album.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »

Libertad without a doubt... I've found it much easier to get into.  It may not be as "hard-rocking", but I like the hooks better and think each track stands out more on the first few listens.

Right now I'm really into Let It Roll, Get Out The Door, The Last Fight and Mary Mary.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »

Personally, the only hard rocking track in that album is ''Slither'', and I cant find any other.

You have to be really bored to enter the profile of all the users you dont like and do this kind of sick research. Good for you, Detective Floyd.

Do you always have the same sensations/feelings with songs? are your opinions about songs absolutely immutable?

And the things you have quoted me are not contradictions. ''Fall To Pieces'' is just a good Slash solo, what is enough for me to think FTP is a good ballad. I've changed my mind about STB, so what?

people should be scared: Detective Floyd and the search engine are ready to hunt you.

Go gadget, go.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »

What kind of satisfaction do you get from nitpicking about everything someone who, God forbid, doesn't love VR the way you do says?  You seem to spend more time coursing through people's old posts than you do engaging in an actual discussion about the topics at hand.  It seems you're more interested in trying to "discredit" everyone who sees things differently than yourself by harping on minor/insignificant/barely relevant details rather than the overall theme and point of a post

Let me guess, you're going to say something about proper context.  Would you agree that everyone needs to view your comments in proper context as well?  I think we all know that you were going to praise Libertad no matter what.  But as long as people view your commentary in the "proper context" then everything will be fine
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »

Even though I've listened to Libertad a bunch of times from beginning to end it's hard to pick a favorite. Contraband is a much more pissed off, in your face rock album. Libertad has a lot more variety and sonic textures. Right now I'm leaning towards Libertad just because it's more varied.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 05:38:58 PM »

You seem to spend more time coursing through people's old posts than you do engaging in an actual discussion about the topics at hand.

I have no real interest in discussing the topic-at- hand with dishonest/disingenuous posters who are only in this section to satisfy their negative bias toward the band. 

Now this is about the point where Jarmo will make his 200th post this month with the name "Booker" in it (which Ill probably ignore) and inform me that this section is for GNR fans to discuss VR, so their welcome to post nothing but negativity (although its called "whining" when its a band that he likes).    Fair enough, its his board to make that decision, but Id rather occassionally illuminate their dishonesty/disngenuousness than discuss the topic-at-hand with them.    Yes, it does put their posts into perspective.  Theyre not only inherently negative, but often disingenuous.  So when they lament over their disappointment that theres no good, hard-rocking songs like "Sucker Train Blues," posters can see that theyre just referencing their "appreciation" of the song to frame todays criticism, even though they didnt like the song yesterday.  I think its an attempt to adjust the negativity to the fact that theres now new music (so the "VR isnt as good as it used to be" line can begin), as well as an attempt at looking more objective ("I like some of VRs older songs, but the new ones just arent as good").  Either way, its disingenuous.  I notice it, I point it out.  Another example: if one criticizes GNRs setlists, its whining about something over which he has no control, and it will be deleted.  Odd, then, that Jarmo himself created a thread in this section to criticize VRs setlists in the same manner others criticized GNRs.  Again, fair enough, but I think that hypocrisy is noteworthy.

Jarmo made a nice, telling statement a few weeks back in the GNR section.  You guys should consider it:

Just because I don't have a constant need to put the band down in order to make myself feel better

ok
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:49:08 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: