Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 07:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228487 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Media Reviews of Libertad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Media Reviews of Libertad  (Read 30109 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »

Velvet Revolver  (From Entertainment Weekly)
--
VELVET REVOLVERMusic Release9 DaysCredits
Release Date: Jul 03, 2007; Lead Performance: Velvet Revolver; Genre: Rock A-By Tom Sinclair Tom Sinclair
 Tom Sinclair is a senior writer for EW and has been called "the handsomest man in rock criticism'' (by his wife)
The good news: Libertad, Velvet Revolver's second CD is so chock-full of the tight 'n' crunchy pedigreed hard rock that's in short supply these days, it feels both comfortingly familiar and vaguely exotic. And, frankly, the closest thing to bad news is that the cover of Electric Light Orchestra's ''Can't Get It Out of My Head'' isn't anywhere near as good as VR's freshly minted originals. Our advice? Stop pining for a new Guns N' Roses release, break out your air guitars, and bask in the glory of Libertad. A-
DOWNLOAD THIS: Just Sixteen

I don't put much stock in the EW review for two reasons.

First, they don't give much real, relevant information about the album, which is what I would do if I were reviewing something I had never listened to.

Second, their entire magazine is based on the idea that whatever is going on RIGHT NOW is the best and most important.  If they reviewed Appetite, they'd give it a "C" because it's twenty years old and, thus, irrelevant to what they do and the people they are marketed toward.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 02:10:41 PM »

Would Izzy Stradlin be a better rhythm guitarist in VR? Hell no.

Different band, different setting and as far as VR goes I couldnt think of anyone better than Dave Kushner to partner up with Slash

are u kidding? izzy= lyrics.....Libertad=no lyrics

btw i read in an interview that Kushner actually wrote a song by himself...which one song is it? thanks

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »

btw i read in an interview that Kushner actually wrote a song by himself...which one song is it? thanks

He wrote Get Out The Door...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »

Hardly a standout track... no

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

Hardly a standout track... no

Ahhh, you must not be listening loud enough!  ok
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »

actually I thought Get Out The Door was one of the better tracks.. good for Kushner atleast he brought something to the table.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 02:33:27 PM »

actually I thought Get Out The Door was one of the better tracks.. good for Kushner atleast he brought something to the table.

I think it's probably the 2nd best song on the album.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »

I think it's probably the 2nd best song on the album.

I've listened to the album four times, and it consistently failed to impress me.  But I'm sure I'll listen again today or tomorrow, so I'll try to pay special attention to that track. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »

Would Izzy Stradlin be a better rhythm guitarist in VR? Hell no.

Different band, different setting and as far as VR goes I couldnt think of anyone better than Dave Kushner to partner up with Slash

are u kidding? izzy= lyrics.....Libertad=no lyrics

If you had said izzy is rock n roll I would have agreed but izzy is lyrics???...don't think so, izzy has written alot of shite lyrics!
anythinggoes
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »

Kerrang gave it KK/KKKKK

They said basically it had none of the edge like Contraband and it sounded like the band members were planning retirement except for some of Slashs solos the album does not live up to the first one

And i agree
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »

Kerrang gave it KK/KKKKK

They said basically it had none of the edge like Contraband and it sounded like the band members were planning retirement except for some of Slashs solos the album does not live up to the first one

And i agree

Hmm...I thought Slash's solos were a major weakness, with a few exceptions.  I think it's good, but could have been much better with some stellar lead guitar work. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeraldFord
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:34 PM »

Kerrang gave it KK/KKKKK

And i agree
they gave afd 3 ks. fuck krang
GeraldFord
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »

Any word on SPIN and RS reviews?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »

From Daisy518 at velvetrevolverforum:

Velvet Revolver
Libertad **1/2 (out of 5)

For brand-name hard rock, it doesn't get any better--sadly

This supergroup, featuring former Stone Temple Pilot Scott Weiland and three ex-Guns N' Roses members, isn't a band from which major revelations are expected, and you won't find any here. But Libertad does improve slightly on the mostly hookless choogling of the band's 2004 debut, Contraband, with songs that are punchier and a bit more memorable. Opener "Let It Roll" is a respectable two-minute blast of Zeppelin bravado, and the single "She Builds Quick Machines" sounds like it was constructed from the better parts of GNR's "Rocket Queen" and STP's "Sex Type Thing." Still, their cover of ELO's "Can't Get It out of My Head" is probably the only track that will actually get stuck in your head.
whpprsnpprr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »

Not that it's surprising but these reviews are literally all over the place lol.  One guy thinks the ELO cover is the only head scratcher because it sucks compared to their originals and some reviews say it's the best thing out there lol. 
I'd love to hear a teenager's review of this...of course teens aren't exactly VR's target audience...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 03:14:37 AM »

Penthouse

Booker just told on himself hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »

Huh

Its from the VR website.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »

Huh

Its from the VR website.

Hear the sound of something whoosing over your head?  Tongue
bart123
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2007, 12:59:39 PM »

Kerrang gave it KK/KKKKK

And i agree

i disagree.contraband was a gud album but there was a lot of fillers,there sum songs lik big machine and superhuman that i culdn even listen to cause they were dat bad.however on libertad its not as heavy(which the band stated a few times) but the material is excellent and each song is nearlly as good as the last 1.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2007, 01:27:55 PM »

From Daisy518 at velvetrevolverforum:

Velvet Revolver
Libertad **1/2 (out of 5)

For brand-name hard rock, it doesn't get any better--sadly

This supergroup, featuring former Stone Temple Pilot Scott Weiland and three ex-Guns N' Roses members, isn't a band from which major revelations are expected, and you won't find any here. But Libertad does improve slightly on the mostly hookless choogling of the band's 2004 debut, Contraband, with songs that are punchier and a bit more memorable. Opener "Let It Roll" is a respectable two-minute blast of Zeppelin bravado, and the single "She Builds Quick Machines" sounds like it was constructed from the better parts of GNR's "Rocket Queen" and STP's "Sex Type Thing." Still, their cover of ELO's "Can't Get It out of My Head" is probably the only track that will actually get stuck in your head.

The better parts of "Rocket Queen"?  Is this reviewer fucking serious?  Hell no does that song sound like it is anywhere near the better parts of "Rocket Queen".  That's a crock of shit if I've ever read one.

Ali
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: