Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 01:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228093 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  LIBERTAD HAS LEAKED - (NO LINKS INSIDE)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LIBERTAD HAS LEAKED - (NO LINKS INSIDE)  (Read 41152 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2007, 02:26:49 AM »

I will make my review of all the songs later, but I just want to say that the best track in this album is hidden.

It reminds me of something the Stones would have done...trury one of the aubum highrights.  I think I've got a review in me...tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:33:27 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2007, 02:28:11 AM »

I'm gonna wait for the release. ?I want to get one of the special editons with the South America documentary or whatever.? ?That's cool about the hidden song too. ?I liked all the songs that I heard live. Seems like it is getting a pretty good reception so far...or should I say interception?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:31:10 AM by Trist805 » Logged
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2007, 03:14:48 AM »

Quick review of each song

Let It Roll - Cool intro "riff" which is repeated during the chorus, musically it loses some momentum during the verses.  Good solo, good solid song

She Mine - throwaway, B-side material at best IMO.  Generic riff, grating chorus, I wanted shut it off the first time I heard it and it hasn't improved on further listens

Get Out The Door - I don't know, decent riff, good chorus and vocal melodies, solo is decent but generic.  Solid song that doesn't stand out in any particular way

SBQM - generic, corporate rock garbage.  Absoutely can't stand this song apart from the solo

Last Fight - good, mellow ballad type song.  Not on the level of YGNR, LTA or even FTP but it's good.  This song was begging for a "big" Slash solo, unfortunately it never materializes, solo is adequate

Pills, Demons - nice little rocker, good intro, catchy, I like it

American Man - a good bassline is unfortunately countered with a bland, stock riff, chorus is weak, this song does nothing for me.  A nice Slash solo at the end can't rescue this one from overall mediocrity

Mary, Mary - Other than a catchy hook it really has nothing going for it.  It's lacking in energy and emotion, both musically and vocally.  Definite "meh" song

Just 16 - musically, by far coolest and most energetic song from start to finish on here.  Very bluesy guitars, good rocking song.  Lyrics are excessively repetitive, and a band of 40 year olds writing songs about teenage fantasoes like banging the hot teacher is questionable in a few ways, but hey it's still a good song

Can't Get It Out Of My Head - Eh.  Average song, unfortunately wastes one of Slash's better solos of the album much like American Man.  Now why couldn't Slash have used one of these solos on The Last Fight?  Kind of a throwaway track here

For A Brother - a mediocre riff straight off the shelf, not a fan of the vocal melodies during the verses at all.  Boring, for lack of a better word

Spay - One of the heavier songs on the album but it's lacking something, not sure what, but it just doesn't have "it".  It's an okay song, I don't know, it just doesn't have anything in particularly appealing about it

Gravedancer - Good slow track, nice mellow guitars on this one, definitely one of the strongest songs on the album

Bonus Track - unexpected, but good

Overall this is a step backwards from Contraband, as I had feared after hearing the live tracks and streamed links.  On the plus side, it's a lot more diverse in sound which I was hoping for.  Unfortunately, although more diverse, it just doesn't have as many good songs on it.  The songs are more varied, but they are not as good which is disappointing.  The ballads are not nearly as strong as YGNR or LTA, or even FTP.  And the rockers lack the punch of songs like STB, DLT, Slither, Superhuman, and so on.  Once again, Slash seems like he was going through the motions on a few too many songs.  This album lacks the consistency of CB, and fails to match CB in both the ballad and rocker department.  It also by and large lacks balls.  Very reminiscent to me of Audioslave, their first album they played it safe but made a good album and showed promise, the second album was softer and more varied but ultimately just wasn't as good.  It's just an underwhelming album, solid, sure, but almost none of these songs jumped out at me and grabbed my attention, I really didn't hear anything that's going to make this an album many people still care about a few years down the line
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2007, 04:50:40 AM »

Let It Roll -  Song was concocted to open an album, thats for sure. Introduces you to the great guitar connection Dave/Slash now share. The difference in the verses makes it almost feel improvised creating the image of them all having so much fun playing.  Might feel extra strong to me, because this song opened the last show I went to.

She Mine - The song that got my girlfriend in VR. I thought it sounded dark and twisted from the opening guitars and bass, which is why her liking it caught me off guard.  Awesome sinister guitar riffing going on before the verses accompanied by dark lyrics. That little bit breakdown near the end contrasts so wonderfully with the rest of the song until it goes back to its pounding bass. the extra dubbed vocals at the end complete that feeling of listening to an insane song.

Get Out The Door - Crazy Cool lyrics combine with sleek sexy vocals.  Which I was more musically-inclined so I could point out which instruments particulary gives me an orgasm during this song. The bridge doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the vibe perfectly to me. On the other hand, The talkbox solo is perfectly matched for this song. and the ending has a bunch of scott's vocals all singing in strange voices.

She Builds Quick Machines - Pounding riff, albeit slightly generic sounding.  The bridge is straight contrband rock and they slide into the catchy-dancy chorus. One of my all time favorite slash solos, although a BIT on the short side.

The Last Fight - Perfect guitar tone on this mid-tempo bluesey tune that comes out so natural, but leaves you thinking that every note is perfectly and precisely placed.  Only dissapointment in this song, was that it sounded more powerful Live and the vocals were strangely a lot stronger. The ending also fades out instead of getting more intense when played live. background vocals singing "answer my prayer" help give the song a legendary classic feel.

Pills, Demons & Etc. - Where do I begin, Best chorus on the album by far. everything just seems to be nailed on thsi song. vocals, guitars, bass drums, only complaint its a little short.

American Man - Little random castenette action in this one, cool cool bass line. still need time to digest this song
Good track but doesn't stand out as much as the others. The whole second half the song is a lot stronger to me.

Mary Mary - Oh wow, this song is so catchy. I sorta see it as a song that would be played in the background during certain comedy movies.....no idea where im getting that vibe.  Sounds so poppy fun and upbeat and yet there are segments of crunchy riffs.  the vocals are something you must hear for yourself

Just Sixteen - really fast paced rocking song, the verses just seem stronger than the chorus in my opinion.  another addition to the songs with fun make you smile lyrics.  Very juxtapose modern/classic rock energy in this song, which is what makes it really standout.

Can't Get It Out of my Head - The great thing about these VR covers, they take songs that are great, but might not exactly be your cup of tea because of the music style.  They just keep the base and transition it into rock so perfectly. They made psycho killer an already good song, into a good and cool song. They made this song into an almost guitar masterpiece.

For A Brother - Scott again manipulating his voice to change things up a failproof riff.
Another great song, but at this point, it feels things are becoming a bit too formulaic.
Not a completely bad thing, because the songs still remain vastly different in style, just not arrangement.
the breakdown a bit, and I THINK duff singing backup in the outro as opposed strictly scott on scott.

Spay - A punk number that im sure was welcomed with open arms by duff. Quickly puts a sneer on your face, looking for the nearest mosh.  The contrast between some of the epic guitar feeling songs and this clashing bombardment of  instruments is just awesome to find on the same album.  Not one of my personal favorite tracks, but I'm glad its in there if that makes sense.

Gravedancer - The epitome of musical beauty, everyone from my friends, sister's friends, mother, was asking "what song is that".  Following Spay, its well needed, because this song relaxes you and takes you a cerebal journey (woah, sounding way too scotty there). Peaceful guitars and subtle bass, while the lyrics paint a picture in your embraceful mind.

bonus song - leaves you laughing and amazed at how many vibes you felt from this album. not to mention its scary, SCARY catchy. you almost feel guilty for listening to this as much as all the rock on the album.

In my opinion, this album taken as a whole, feels like a classic.  Arrangement wise, I wish they would start taking more risks. more experimentation is always welcome since they have proven themselves already.

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2007, 06:22:16 AM »

the album is way better than contraband. i really like it.

except for some moments/songs, when scott comes through too heavily...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2007, 06:57:02 AM »

I listened to it, but I haven't heard one song on it that made me want to re-listen. Unlike Contraband which I enjoyed very much.
Damn, I'm glad I have Better, The Blues, Chinese Demoracy, TWAT, IRS.  Grin

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2007, 07:01:47 AM »

I've decided to just listen to the songs that have been played live, as I've already heard them. So I downloaded She Mine and Let It Roll.
The rest can wait till I buy the album.

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2007, 07:29:17 AM »

what's annoying for me is that i want "gravedancer" as one file and "don't drop that dime" so that i don't have to listen through gravedancer to hear "DDTD"

(same with on TSI, where i want "i don't care about you" on a seperate file so if i wanna hear it on repeat i don't have to listen to "look at your game girl")

if someone can fix that for me, please PM Smiley
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2007, 08:22:27 AM »

ok i listen to it since yesterday.
at first, let's say it's much better than contraband (not difficult, anyway).

the first part of the LP is good, scott sings a little bit better and different, in a more versatile way.
he even kind of imitate Axl's voice at the end of Get out the door, quite amusing.

so let it roll, she mine, get out the door, she builds quick machines, the last fight are good songs.
like you can say on some recent aerosmith LPs. not amazing, but decent, and well played.

about the second part of the record...hey guys, maybe it was a better idea to just sell a mini-LP...

well, i suppose the album will be a hit in USA, very radio friendly, with ballads etc.
but the whole thing seems so pre-fabricated and calibrate.

to be honnest, it's much better than their first LP.
but if it's the best they can do together...

(and what is so amazing in american man Huh it's a baaad song, and the solo is just...ok (hey slash, look at robin finck stuff Wink ) )

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2007, 09:32:27 AM »

Let It Roll -? Song was concocted to open an album, thats for sure. Introduces you to the great guitar connection Dave/Slash now share. The difference in the verses makes it almost feel improvised creating the image of them all having so much fun playing.? Might feel extra strong to me, because this song opened the last show I went to.

She Mine - The song that got my girlfriend in VR. I thought it sounded dark and twisted from the opening guitars and bass, which is why her liking it caught me off guard.? Awesome sinister guitar riffing going on before the verses accompanied by dark lyrics. That little bit breakdown near the end contrasts so wonderfully with the rest of the song until it goes back to its pounding bass. the extra dubbed vocals at the end complete that feeling of listening to an insane song.

Get Out The Door - Crazy Cool lyrics combine with sleek sexy vocals.? Which I was more musically-inclined so I could point out which instruments particulary gives me an orgasm during this song. The bridge doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the vibe perfectly to me. On the other hand, The talkbox solo is perfectly matched for this song. and the ending has a bunch of scott's vocals all singing in strange voices.

She Builds Quick Machines - Pounding riff, albeit slightly generic sounding.? The bridge is straight contrband rock and they slide into the catchy-dancy chorus. One of my all time favorite slash solos, although a BIT on the short side.

The Last Fight - Perfect guitar tone on this mid-tempo bluesey tune that comes out so natural, but leaves you thinking that every note is perfectly and precisely placed.? Only dissapointment in this song, was that it sounded more powerful Live and the vocals were strangely a lot stronger. The ending also fades out instead of getting more intense when played live. background vocals singing "answer my prayer" help give the song a legendary classic feel.

Pills, Demons & Etc. - Where do I begin, Best chorus on the album by far. everything just seems to be nailed on thsi song. vocals, guitars, bass drums, only complaint its a little short.

American Man - Little random castenette action in this one, cool cool bass line. still need time to digest this song
Good track but doesn't stand out as much as the others. The whole second half the song is a lot stronger to me.

Mary Mary - Oh wow, this song is so catchy. I sorta see it as a song that would be played in the background during certain comedy movies.....no idea where im getting that vibe.? Sounds so poppy fun and upbeat and yet there are segments of crunchy riffs.? the vocals are something you must hear for yourself

Just Sixteen - really fast paced rocking song, the verses just seem stronger than the chorus in my opinion.? another addition to the songs with fun make you smile lyrics.? Very juxtapose modern/classic rock energy in this song, which is what makes it really standout.

Can't Get It Out of my Head - The great thing about these VR covers, they take songs that are great, but might not exactly be your cup of tea because of the music style.? They just keep the base and transition it into rock so perfectly. They made psycho killer an already good song, into a good and cool song. They made this song into an almost guitar masterpiece.

For A Brother - Scott again manipulating his voice to change things up a failproof riff.
Another great song, but at this point, it feels things are becoming a bit too formulaic.
Not a completely bad thing, because the songs still remain vastly different in style, just not arrangement.
the breakdown a bit, and I THINK duff singing backup in the outro as opposed strictly scott on scott.

Spay - A punk number that im sure was welcomed with open arms by duff. Quickly puts a sneer on your face, looking for the nearest mosh.? The contrast between some of the epic guitar feeling songs and this clashing bombardment of? instruments is just awesome to find on the same album.? Not one of my personal favorite tracks, but I'm glad its in there if that makes sense.

Gravedancer - The epitome of musical beauty, everyone from my friends, sister's friends, mother, was asking "what song is that".? Following Spay, its well needed, because this song relaxes you and takes you a cerebal journey (woah, sounding way too scotty there). Peaceful guitars and subtle bass, while the lyrics paint a picture in your embraceful mind.

bonus song - leaves you laughing and amazed at how many vibes you felt from this album. not to mention its scary, SCARY catchy. you almost feel guilty for listening to this as much as all the rock on the album.

In my opinion, this album taken as a whole, feels like a classic.? Arrangement wise, I wish they would start taking more risks. more experimentation is always welcome since they have proven themselves already.

?

Great review, i can't wait to hear the whole thing  nervous  Grin

ok
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2007, 09:33:54 AM »

I've decided to just listen to the songs that have been played live, as I've already heard them. So I downloaded She Mine and Let It Roll.
The rest can wait till I buy the album.
where did you download them?
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »

(and what is so amazing in american man Huh it's a baaad song, and the solo is just...ok (hey slash, look at robin finck stuff Wink ) )

hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi
 rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
 rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Robin fink stuff, what stuff? has he ever release an album?
Come on guy, stop tellin' stupid things, i like robin fink style but he has a lot to do if he want to become as legendary as slash. The best thing robin can do (and axl too) is release their fuckin' album and start their new proyect
DeN
Legend

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »

robin finck is seriously more inventing and original than slash.

i don't care about the status he has, jimmy page is a legend too,
but he does nothing since more than 10 years except guests.

slash needs to reinvent himself to be as brilliant as he was in the 90s.

GeraldFord
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2007, 09:52:28 AM »

I think "Spay" is the album's best rocker.
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2007, 10:08:01 AM »

Only listened to it once but i'm definately saying it's a better album, on the whole, than Contraband. It's definately a catchier more upbeat album than CB, which was very generic sounding on a lot of songs. I think it could have done with a couple more slower songs too, there's only really two on here 'The Last Fight' and 'Gravedancer' and neither are as good as YGNR or LTA. Gravedancer is my fav track upon first listen, beautifiul.

One last thing, I think they should have saved 'Can't Get It Out of My Head' and used it as a B-Side and put 'Messages' (The 'Radar signal' song from the VLOGS) on here instead. It's a good cover and all but I would have preferred another slower original song from VR.

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
nightrain_st
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2007, 11:55:16 AM »

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
 rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

ohh man, you made my day  Cool
Now, this IS funny.
IFINGLOVEGNR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2007, 12:19:36 PM »

If thats the way you think then you shouuld love Scott Weiland Alot more than Axl
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:22:01 PM by IFINGLOVEVR » Logged

5/12/06
5/14/06
5/15/06
5/17/06
NJ-11/5/06
NYC-MSG 11/10/06
NYC-CBGB 2/11/10
NYC-RoseBar 2/14/10
NJ-11/17/11
CT-11/19/11
NJ-11/26/11
NYC-2/12/12
Vegas-11/14,17,18/2012
NYC-6/6/13
NYC-6/8
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2007, 12:30:28 PM »

DEN, Im not sure which sport is your fav but I am gonna assume Futbol/Soccer so here is a little analogy.

Pele hasn't played soccer in decades right? Does that mean he is no longer one of the greatest of all time?

Slash may not have done anything spectacular since the 90's but what he did in the 90's was pretty God Damn Spectacular. So spectacular that Robin Finck is cashing a paycheck thanks to Slash.

NEVER compare a career Cover Guitarist to an all time legend.

Jim Bob earlier was talking about opinions.

Well U can LIKE whomever u ewant better, That I am fine with. If u make the statement "I like Dave better than Izzy" or I'll like Robin better than Slash" thats ok.

When u start talkin about who is better, Their is evidence and facts to back stuff up.

I can say Micheal Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever and present enough staggering evidence that would make it virtually impossible to disagree with.

Same hear:

On Izzy's side u got: Its So Easy,Patience,Don't Cry,YCBM just for starters

On Dave's side u got: Get Out THe Door...... and whatever else

See, Its easy to say Izzy wins based on his work on Appetite and UYI's alone.

Same with Slash:

Slash: WTTJ,SCOM, PC,Nightrain,Out Ta Get Me,My Michelle,NR solos, Estranged Melodies and Solos, Coma,Locomotive,Get in The Ring,Civil War, Suckertrain Blues,Fall To Pieces,You Got No Right, etc etc etc

Now compare that to the GNR guitarists combined............

Get my point?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
DeN
Legend

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »

that's not me who compares "carreers"

carreers doesn't mean a thing in rock n'roll.
i don't think in terms of "carreers", but at a pure musical level.

robin has the whole future to prove is skills and originality, slash is passeist and a bit lazy.
i note he made some progress with this album, but, seriously, even if i enjoy listening libertad,
it's not an album at his level.

slash deserves more than velvet revolver.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »

D, you are 100% correct.  Great analogy on Michael Jordan.

Slash has had 10+ magical moments.  Fink?  I can't name a great fink moment. 

Don't post a damn youtube link, I mean instudio.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: