Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:55:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228139 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash: "'Quick Machines' was my first pick....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash: "'Quick Machines' was my first pick....  (Read 16006 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »

I dont understand why they keep putting "Contraband" down to try and make Libertad seem better.

I am gonna say right now that gets on my nerves and I don't like it.

I loved Contraband and so far Quick Machines isn't better than anything on Contraband...........................

Also Sorry Dave, u are a good guitar player and all but I don't think anyone wants to hear u solo instead of Slash. Gotta know your place. ok

it's better than Ilegal I song and Spectacle at least. I loved Contraband too and I am glad Libertad songs that I have listened so far keep tha same line....

No way, Illegal I and Spectacle rock so much harder and have much more interesting riffs and lyrics than SBQM does.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
gnr2k6
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »

no the band arnt sober.......i know 1 band member personally thats still an animal...red 1??
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »

First of all I am a huge VR fan.

What is  different with me and most people on this forum and other places is, I dont Swallow everything a band I like does just cause I am a fan.

If a band I love does something I don't agree with, I call them on it.

I give Axl a hard time when he does shit I think is dumb and I give VR, Bon Jovi, RHCP, Prince whomever a hard time about shit I dont like that they do.

BJ have a song on their new album that is the most horrible shit I've ever heard in my life.

Axl has a song or two I don't like and I don't agree with how he does a lot of stuff.

VR also and I am not gonna give anyone a free pass just cause I am a "Fan" I hold everyone accountable and call them on shit I think is stupid.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »

no the band arnt sober.......i know 1 band member personally thats still an animal...red 1??

I'm sure Matt is still partying, maybe Kushner.  SLash, Duff and Weiland all at least say they're sober.  Anyway point being they are a bunch of 40 year old millionaires, the most notorious alcoholics and drugs users claim they are sober now, they have been living the high life for many years.  I don't think they qualify as dangerous, hence the world's most dangerous band tag that was slapped on GNR back in the 80's and that has been a part of the VR marketing scheme is just that, a marketing scheme
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »

I think some people on this site are letting their dislike for VR cause them to interpret things way out of perspective. Nothing that slash said contradicts anything dave said.

If you spell it out in point form  its more clear that there is no inconsistency:

Slash:

- Slash's personal choice was  SBQM
- lots of other songs with single potential
- took awhile before everyone agreed on which song to use
- it was decided (could be by band or label its unclear) that SBQM is closer to what people were familiar with.

Dave

- Record company wanted SBQM
- Dave did not want it.
- record company did not force them, but they agreed after the company's test results proved it to them.

They're basically saying the same thing, except slash is a bit more diplomatic about how he mentions the disagreement with the company.

To those upset that they listened to a suggestion of a record producer to add a guitar solo. Well, what can I say:

1. Most of us were bitching about VR's move away from classic slash solos on CB.
2. Its the role of a producer to challenge a band to do their best work and work with the band to get the best sound.

Theres a difference being open to an idea and throwing away your artistic integrity.

cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »

Who really cares about the 'Worlds Most Dangerous Band' tag? It is just a marketing line. So what? ALL bands need to market themselves, and they kept that tag based on who they are, and their past. What is the huge deal?

And if you consider them a 'corperate' band, so what? None forces you to buy all the special edition covers (I'm a big fan and I only bought the one which came on the one I picked up), or the re-issues (I might have for the unreleased tracks but I haven't seen it here). If a record company wants to make money off a band, good luck to them. None forces you to part with your money for any of the 'cash spinners', thats your choice, and the fans choice, if they want to get something the band puts out for them. I'm glad they released Mellody and the Tyranny, as I wanted to add it to my VR 'collection'. If you aren't, that's your choice.

Also it's pretty damn obvious to me that Slash wanted SBQM, while the rest of the band didn't. That's why Dave used 'we' and Slash admitted that he wanted SBQM. So what the hell is everyone nit-picking over?

Mountains out of molehills again ?Roll Eyes
kosa
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 06:42:46 AM »

I'm sure Matt is still partying, maybe Kushner.? SLash, Duff and Weiland all at least say they're sober.? Anyway point being they are a bunch of 40 year old millionaires, the most notorious alcoholics and drugs users claim they are sober now, they have been living the high life for many years.? I don't think they qualify as dangerous, hence the world's most dangerous band tag that was slapped on GNR back in the 80's and that has been a part of the VR marketing scheme is just that, a marketing scheme

If anyone has fallen under marketing scheme it has to be you.  Guns n roses the most dangerous band? get real... It was a pose. Just like most of the things in rock and roll are.  But they did record good music thought. Not being drunk is a sing of  weakness ??
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 06:57:28 AM »

I wonder what the "most dangerous" label is for anyway....are they gonna start bringing guns on stage and shoot the audience?
I don't care, the dangerous thing was something thought up by record company people back in the GN'R days, these guys still have that label on them...they don't care, I don't care.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 07:05:08 AM »

I wonder what the "most dangerous" label is for anyway....are they gonna start bringing guns on stage and shoot the audience?

I believe the 'dangerous' tag, at least, for the old GN'R was used in the sense 'dangerous to themselves', because nobody knew how long the band would last or whether somebody would OD from the drugs or something. Duff blowing up from the alcohol, Slash ODing on heroin and of course there was Adler. Not to mention the tempers and egos involved. It doesn't mean anything anymore today other than being a marketing gimmick. But I suppose some people can't seem to understand that.

Fuck 'Em All.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2007, 09:58:46 AM »

I thought they did that on several answers to these questions.?

Examples?

You think Slash saying "It was my first pick" contradicts Dave saying "it wasnt my pick?"? This is exactly the kind of thing I mean when I say that a group of posters seem eager to eschew logic for an absolutely pointless game of "gotcha."? Slash wanted "She Builds Quick Machines" as the first single and Dave and some others didnt - does this imply that theyre lying about something?? What are you implying exactly?? I understand that the straw-grasping nature of these silly implications kind of forces you to be vague, so why not state clearly what youre trying to imply?

I'm not trying to grasp at straws or play a "gotcha" game to catch these guys in some big lie.  At times I just think Slash sounds like a politician, saying a whole lot without really saying anything in these answers.  I guess they're just a lot better at playing music than giving interviews.  Did you see the MSN interview with all five members?  They said practically nothing of substance in 20 minutes.  Maybe they're just doing too much press.  I can see how all the same questions would get old after awhile.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

To those upset that they listened to a suggestion of a record producer to add a guitar solo. Well, what can I say:

1. Most of us were bitching about VR's move away from classic slash solos on CB.
2. Its the role of a producer to challenge a band to do their best work and work with the band to get the best sound.

Theres a difference being open to an idea and throwing away your artistic integrity.

... and it's not like it was a "trademark Slash solo" anyways, how often does he use a talkbox?  To me it just seemed like the quote was Dave talking up how great everyone thinks Slash is, including himself and the record execs.

So someone who works for a record company says: "This songs needs more Slash!" and the band agrees... some of you think that's a bad thing?  Roll Eyes
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2007, 11:26:37 AM »

So someone who works for a record company says: "This songs needs more Slash!" and the band agrees... some of you think that's a bad thing?  Roll Eyes

No, but it does make you think about the old "Slash needs to be pushed" thing......

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2007, 01:03:56 PM »

I'm sure Matt is still partying, maybe Kushner.  SLash, Duff and Weiland all at least say they're sober.  Anyway point being they are a bunch of 40 year old millionaires, the most notorious alcoholics and drugs users claim they are sober now, they have been living the high life for many years.  I don't think they qualify as dangerous, hence the world's most dangerous band tag that was slapped on GNR back in the 80's and that has been a part of the VR marketing scheme is just that, a marketing scheme

If anyone has fallen under marketing scheme it has to be you.  Guns n roses the most dangerous band? get real... It was a pose. Just like most of the things in rock and roll are.  But they did record good music thought. Not being drunk is a sing of  weakness ??

Nice first post  Roll Eyes

Nothing you said has anything to do with what I said but congratulations on joining the board
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:05:47 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »

I want to hear Dave so something more than run through scales as well.  The guy can play.  What I would like to see him and slash do is harmonize some guitars like Thin Lizzy used to do when they had 2 lead players.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2007, 04:23:56 PM »

... and it's not like it was a "trademark Slash solo" anyways, how often does he use a talkbox?? To me it just seemed like the quote was Dave talking up how great everyone thinks Slash is, including himself and the record execs.

So someone who works for a record company says: "This songs needs more Slash!" and the band agrees... some of you think that's a bad thing?? Roll Eyes

i actually do think it's a bad thing cause i think clive davis has more influence that you are implying. i am a fan of VR and i want to hear what THEY want to create, what's inside of them. good or bad. not what some old, money-hungry, has-been wants to create.

slash is creating music that they believe in. clive davis is trying to create music that is appealing to the masses. and it's dangerous because you then run the risk of things being watered down. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 04:56:19 PM »

i for one would like to hear dave solo on songs.

why should slash get all the solos.

hell even izzy got to solo.

and dave is way more competent at lead than izzy ever was.

its not like slash's solo is amazing in quick machines. doesn't do anything for me.

certainly nothing like slither or ygnr.

i think dave really should have solo'd on his own song that he wrote.

Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »

One time Duff said that he didn't choose SBQM as first single, but the record company told them that it would be the best choice.

You really know who's Maradona!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 09:02:26 PM »

I think since Dave wrote the song without a Solo piece maybe why Slash hadn't added one.  There wasn't really one on Illegal I either.  Izzy got to solo the first part of the nightrain solo.  Sounded good. 

Dave may just need to know his role and take his millions.  Just kidding.  But he is a role player and Slash is the star.  I am sure some of the Chicago Bulls wanted to have the ball in every critical moment, but how many few championships would Chicago have won?  Often Jordan did dish to Paxon or Kerr to deliver a game winning 3.  So I prefer how they do a Set me Free type deal.  Let Kushner shred and have fun, but when it comes to the album, leave it to the Pro maybe?  Or both solo in the same song. 
badapple81
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »

I saw this on Video Hits the other morning.. so so ordinary.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2007, 06:26:19 AM »

I would love to hear a Dave solo on the album....but only one. for the rest, I would need my Slash fix!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: