Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 12:33:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash: "'Quick Machines' was my first pick....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash: "'Quick Machines' was my first pick....  (Read 16014 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

No I didn't, like I said after I posted this, what slash says completely contradicts what Dave said.

Can you explain how so?
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »

No I didn't, like I said after I posted this, what slash says completely contradicts what Dave said.

Can you explain how so?

Dave said no one in the band wanted that song as the first single, slash said he wanted it as first single. If you can't see that that is a contradiction then theres nothing I can do for ya...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »

F clive davis. i hate hearing that type of BS. i'm surprised VR revealed that, but i do appreciate their honesty.

much like when axl stated back in 2001 that he started over because someone at the record label thought that they "could make it better."

they just have too much influence and power.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »

Dave said no one in the band wanted that song as the first single

Can you provide the quote in which this is said?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »

Are you blind Booker?  He says it right here...

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't see it as a first single.

hihi
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 04:15:03 PM »

mmm well...? Roll Eyes

it's deeper than 'Contraband'

I think Contraband is very far from being a deep album, but at least it has some interesting lyrics like YGNR.

But what is ''deep'' in She Builds Quick Machines, She Mine, Get Out The Door, etc?? Huh

this is the flatest and less pretentious music ever made by Slash and Weiland. This is not necesarily a bad thing, but why using the word ''deep'' to describe music that is exactly the opposite?

I don't think they were refering to the LYRICS as what was deep about the album. It's very evident that the new album has a lot more levels than Contraband. Like its been said, that necessarily isn't a good or bad thing. ?Some people's gripes with contrband is that every song sounded similar, while other people loved that it was a hard rocking album all the way through. ?This record, seems to show off a lot more musical influences, almost every song so far varying. ?Hard rock similiar to contraband (SBQM) songs with a ?groove that makes you want to dance (get out the door), Bluesy ?songs (Last fight), Punk rock (spay), etc, etc. ?They are changing the musical stylings, scott is changing the way he sings from song to song. Overall muscially there is a lot more variation.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »

mmm well...  Roll Eyes

it's deeper than 'Contraband'

I think Contraband is very far from being a deep album, but at least it has some interesting lyrics like YGNR.

But what is ''deep'' in She Builds Quick Machines, She Mine, Get Out The Door, etc?  Huh

this is the flatest and less pretentious music ever made by Slash and Weiland. This is not necesarily a bad thing, but why using the word ''deep'' to describe music that is exactly the opposite?

I don't think they were refering to the LYRICS as what was deep about the album. It's very evident that the new album has a lot more levels than Contraband. Like its been said, that necessarily isn't a good or bad thing.  Some people's gripes with contrband is that every song sounded similar, while other people loved that it was a hard rocking album all the way through.  This record, seems to show off a lot more musical influences, almost every song so far varying.  Hard rock similiar to contraband (SBQM) songs with a  groove that makes you want to dance (get out the door), Bluesy  songs (Last fight), Punk rock (spay), etc, etc.  They are changing the musical stylings, scott is changing the way he sings from song to song. Overall muscially there is a lot more variation.

Also there are a few songs we haven't heard... it's entirely possibly the "deep" songs lyrically are "For A Brother", "Gravedancer" & "Mary Mary".
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 04:28:34 PM »

It wasn't as though we were forced by the record company; that song just struck a chord with them so they ran listener tests with all three songs and 'Quick Machines' supposedly tested the best. Maybe it reminded them of 'Slither' [taken from first album 'Contraband']? Anyway, we kept listening to the song but we still disagreed. The record company did more tests and in the end we had to concede because of the response it was getting."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »

It wasn't as though we were forced by the record company; that song just struck a chord with them so they ran listener tests with all three songs and 'Quick Machines' supposedly tested the best. Maybe it reminded them of 'Slither' [taken from first album 'Contraband']? Anyway, we kept listening to the song but we still disagreed. The record company did more tests and in the end we had to concede because of the response it was getting."

Thats what I thought.  Thanks.  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »

Anyone else think its kind of sad that an American idol "Kelly Clarkson" stands up to Clive Davis and the record label but the worlds ?most dangerous Band VR don't? hihi

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »

Anyone else think its kind of sad that an American idol "Kelly Clarkson" stands up to Clive Davis and the record label but the worlds  most dangerous Band VR don't? hihi

Do you think its possible they didnt disagree with his suggestion?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 04:35:12 PM »

Anyone else think its kind of sad that an American idol "Kelly Clarkson" stands up to Clive Davis and the record label but the worlds  most dangerous Band VR don't? hihi

No, Kelly Clarkson is harsh   nervous
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »

Do you think it's kind of sad that Kelly Clarkson's summer tour has been canceled and her singles are tanking and album is expected to not sell well? Clive Davis has been putting hit records for over 40 years, so ya think he MIGHT know what the fuck he's talking about when it comes to music? I don't think anyone can deny that the solo in GOTD rules. The song is better with it.

Anyway, to get away from the usual bunch of dipshits bitching about everything VR related - I must say, Dave writing GOTD shocks the hell out of me. I would have never pegged him as one to write a song about fucking a Tranny. Maybe Matt or Scott, but not Dave.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 04:36:25 PM »

The world's most dangerous band is just a marketing gimmick.  These guys are millionaire rockstars in their 40's and are clean and sober now for the most part.   As I said for better or worse it's evident that VR is more concerned about selling as many albums and making as much money as possible, that is their first priority not making the best music they possibly can.  Dollar signs come before artistic integrity and that's their decision to make.  But  make no mistake, they are a corporate band who just happens to be promoted as rebellious
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »

Anyway, to get away from the usual bunch of dipshits bitching about everything VR related - I must say, Dave writing GOTD shocks the hell out of me. I would have never pegged him as one to write a song about fucking a Tranny. Maybe Matt or Scott, but not Dave.

Kushner probably just wrote the music.  The lyrics are most likely Weiland.  But at least we know Kushner is making some contributions, he didn't seem to contribute much to their last album
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »

From that interview, it just seems to me that Quick Machines wasn't their first choice but the record label thought it was the most "Commercial" song and the way to go cause it souned like "slither"

To me that is pretty shitty.

If VR wanted a different single,t hey should've held to their guns and released the single they wanted but since a Test campaign came back in favor of SBQM, they said OK.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »

It seems to me that some in the bandwanted one song to be the first single and the label and Slash wanted something else, so they tested the song and found out that SBQM would be more commercially successful, so the band went with that. Now, depending on whether or not you're a VR fan or someone who likes to pick apart every little thing VR does, you're going to read into the situation differently.

It's nothing like the Kelly Clarkson situation where Clive Davis wanted her to go back and re-record the album again, this is just a matter of there being so many good songs that they couldn't decide on a single. Boy, that's a horrible position to be in, huh?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 05:27:08 PM by ZRO » Logged
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »

the label and slash wanted SBQM, sounds like good enough reason for the rest of the unsure bandmates to go along with it.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »

The whole interview is posted at www.velvet-revolver.com

I have been fortunate enough to hear the whole album (don't ask for details on how or why cause I wont give em) and now that I have heard all the songs, SBQM is the obvious first single - although I think that Just 16 is the other stand-out single and obviously that wont be the case cause it's on the EP.

jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »

pick, pick, pick, pick, pick.

In the end who gives a fuck.  At least they are releasing shit.  And suprise, suprise some people like it.  Just goes to show that Axl isn't the only band.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: