Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 01:11:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Kerrang's review of VR at Download
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kerrang's review of VR at Download  (Read 9024 times)
gnr2k6
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 07:51:09 PM »

jarmo...i know what u mean....i still havnt figured all the vocals to just 16 yet...the vocal mix is terrible....not sure if its supposed to be like that
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 07:52:22 PM »

Weiland has always been a "what the fuck is so great about that guy?" type of thing for me. For me, he was riding the grunge bandwagon and STP was basically a one hit wonder (no, they were never big in Europe).

I tried to like him, but to be honest the only reason I went to see VR was to see what Slash and Duff were up to.
/jarmo

one hit wonder? I don't even know what song you would be referring to (interstate love song?). they have FIFTEEN top ten singles
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

Weiland has always been a "what the fuck is so great about that guy?" type of thing for me. For me, he was riding the grunge bandwagon and STP was basically a one hit wonder (no, they were never big in Europe).

I tried to like him, but to be honest the only reason I went to see VR was to see what Slash and Duff were up to.
/jarmo

one hit wonder? I don't even know what song you would be referring to (interstate love song?). they have FIFTEEN top ten singles

Not outside the US they don't! Outside the US they are practically unknown.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »

Back on topic:

It  has been years since  I have taken reviews seriously. Most of the time the reviewers are little twits who know  nothing and are not smart enough to tell me what  I should or should not like. So I stopped taking any of those  rags seriously long  ago, including RS, which is a pretentious megalomanical piece of shit. (IMHO).
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 09:31:34 PM »

So when you hear that an artist, particularly an American one, has a number one song or album, do you assume its in Finland?

Why is that such an important matter to you?

Get your own life.

Youre a bit defensive, and very evasive, on this one.  It almost seems like youre hiding something. 

It seems odd to me that you would have any interest in checking out new material from a band you clearly dislike.  So it would be even odder if you purchased that material. 

Or perhaps you obtained it illegally?  Thats hard to believe since you frown upon illegal downloads, but it would explain your defensiveness.

I love Pearl Jam.

Now there's a band with a talented lead vocalist who doesn't need to strut around the stage when performing his mumbling!

I think your revelation that mumbling really isnt the problem and reference to the singers stage moves in a discussion about a studio recording prove how shallow your criticism is.

So I assume just because Brendan produced some quality material with another band, I must admire the fact that Weiland's singing is hard to make out?

No, it just once again illuminates your selective negativity.  Kind of like this.   ok
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 09:39:06 PM »

So when you hear that an artist, particularly an American one, has a number one song or album, do you assume its in Finland?

Is that what I said? No? Then I suggest you get that fucking bug out of your ass, and stop acting so high and mighty.  ok
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:44:27 PM by chineseblues » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 09:57:38 PM »

Jarmo does have an interest in VR.  He runs a GNR and VR is the next hottest topic on the GNR board.  It would be like in 1992 a Pearl Jam fan not acknowledging a band like Nirvana.  He does have a vested interest in VR.  That interest it to hope they fail so that most will see GNR is the better band.  He doesn't want two bands on the same level.  That would be bad for business.  Ha. 

In his reveiws, points out only negatives.  Why not say, "Just 16 really rocked and had a great groove, though I wish I could understand the lead singer, musically the song rocks."  But we have no clue what Jarmo thinks, except he hates the singer.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 10:39:49 PM »

Jarmo does have an interest in VR.  He runs a GNR and VR is the next hottest topic on the GNR board.  It would be like in 1992 a Pearl Jam fan not acknowledging a band like Nirvana.

Hey, but Pearl Jam and Nirvana are both great bands, with brilliant songwritters/frontmen, with amazing albums, very deep lyrics and these two bands have A LOT in common.

In fact, Guns N' Roses could be easily associated with these two bands: another great band, a pair of brilliant songwritters (Axl n' Izzy), amazing albums, deep lyrics, etc.

These three bands are in the same league. They do similar kind of music, similar genres. GNR might be a little harder than the other two, but they are similar bands globally.

But how can you associate such a great band like GNR with... VR? I mean, Stone Temple Pilots was a great band, not at the same level than GNR, but still a great band. But VR lacks everything that makes GNR/PJ/Nirvana great bands. They dont play the same kind of music than GNR, they dont have any brilliant songwritter, they dont have any great frontman, no great albums, no great lyrics, nothing.

If VR is related in one way or another is JUST because of three names. Most of the PJ fans also know Nirvana and also like Nirvana. A parallel example could be between GNR and Metallica fans.

But most of the GNR fans only know VR (because of Matt/Slash/Duff's past in GNR), but not necesarily like VR.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »

Jarmo does have an interest in VR.? He runs a GNR and VR is the next hottest topic on the GNR board.? It would be like in 1992 a Pearl Jam fan not acknowledging a band like Nirvana.

Hey, but Pearl Jam and Nirvana are both great bands, with brilliant songwritters/frontmen, with amazing albums, very deep lyrics and these two bands have A LOT in common.

In fact, Guns N' Roses could be easily associated with these two bands: another great band, a pair of brilliant songwritters (Axl n' Izzy), amazing albums, deep lyrics, etc.

These three bands are in the same league. They do similar kind of music, similar genres. GNR might be a little harder than the other two, but they are similar bands globally.

But how can you associate such a great band like GNR with... VR? I mean, Stone Temple Pilots was a great band, not at the same level than GNR, but still a great band. But VR lacks everything that makes GNR/PJ/Nirvana great bands. They dont play the same kind of music than GNR, they dont have any brilliant songwritter, they dont have any great frontman, no great albums, no great lyrics, nothing.

If VR is related in one way or another is JUST because of three names. Most of the PJ fans also know Nirvana and also like Nirvana. A parallel example could be between GNR and Metallica fans.

But most of the GNR fans only know VR (because of Matt/Slash/Duff's past in GNR), but not necesarily like VR.

I see your point!  I was saying since VR is talked a lot here on this forum.

GNR blows PJ and Nirvana away.   Pearl Jam was a great rock band (classic rock feel) and in my opinion smokes Nirvana.  Nirvana is the most overrated band of all freaking time.  Much like the Beatles and the Stones, the simpler band got the most praise.  Not many people ride around listening to the Nevermind album.  But a shitload still listen to something from Appetite daily.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »

Why, oh why, must everything become a GNR v. VR debate? 

Kerrang gave VR's performance KK.  That's fine, if deserved, though Kerrang's taste in music leaves me doubting their credibility.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 11:22:56 PM »

Get back on topic. 

Everyone.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2007, 11:46:58 PM »

Thanks Falcon, shut the fuck up Booker.  Kiss

I'm "defensive" because I knew it'd get to you. Surprise, surprise.....  rofl

Jarmo does have an interest in VR.  He runs a GNR and VR is the next hottest topic on the GNR board. 

Only for you, Booker and a few others do VR matter that much.   Grin

Why, oh why, must everything become a GNR v. VR debate? 

Ask Booker why he decided to drag this off topic.

Then he edits his post to make it seem like the majority of it wasn't about me.  rofl

Once again you guys manage to  turn a thread off topic.

How convenient. Kerrang! didn't like your favorite band or vocalist so you turn it to be about me, this site or GN'R.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 02:03:55 AM »

Esteban why do u say GNR had a pair of talented songwriters *Axl and Izzy* as if trying to eliminate the more brilliant stuff wrote by Slash *Jungle,SCOM,Locomotive,Coma,NR and Estranged Solo's,melodies.....

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 03:32:49 AM »

I was reading a friends copy of this Kerrang, and I gotta say, it's the most amusing magazine I've read for a while.  Trashing bands like Wolfmother, Buckcherry and Velvet Revolver, and raving about My Chemical Romance, and Bowling For Soup.  From what I watched of the VR webstream, it was a great performance, and the crowd seemed to dig it as well.  A couple of friends of mine were there, and they said it was great as well. 

Jarmo and Booker, couldn't that stuff be taken to PM's?  Booker, there's no need to antagonise the dude, he's made it fairly clear about how he feels about VR.  Half the VR threads these days seems to turn into an argument between you two, can't at least one of you just rise above it? 

I know one of you's admin and all, but you oughta lead by example. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
gnr2k6
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 04:11:00 AM »

i was a fan of gnr first time around ,im also a huge vr fan-i love scott.
either u like vr or you dont...nobody is forcing you to.
dissing them is going nowhere,its like the tv if you dont like whats on dont watch....theres no point in moaning like a bitch.
i feel theres some here who feel an alliance to axl and dont like vr becuase of that and a few here should know better.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 05:43:15 AM »

2 k's out of 5 sounds about right for a band like velvet revolver.

sounds about right? according to your opinion? because the average VR reviews as of late have been nothing short of astounding. don't spew your crap here troll

this is a gnr board, not a vr board.   this section is for gnr fans to discuss vr.   not everyone is gonna be a fan, deal with it.
anythinggoes
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »

Jarmo does have an interest in VR.? He runs a GNR and VR is the next hottest topic on the GNR board.?

Ill think you will find this is the most discussed topic on the board apart from GNR

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=21219.0

Not that i EVER read it  Lips Sealed
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 08:26:54 AM »

2 k's out of 5 sounds about right for a band like velvet revolver.

sounds about right? according to your opinion? because the average VR reviews as of late have been nothing short of astounding. don't spew your crap here troll

this is a gnr board, not a vr board.? ?this section is for gnr fans to discuss vr.? ?not everyone is gonna be a fan, deal with it.

hihi lol okay bro. you continue to dedicate your time to a band you don't and never will like. You have lost your validity with your immature comments. I admit its annoying to have to sift through so much crap in the VR sections, but I will "deal" with it.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 08:33:10 AM »

Dont worry guys, when Kerrang trashes GNR Jim Bob will be the first to say what a piece of shit mag they are. ok

They already did.  They gave GNR's performance at last years Download Festival 0 K's out of 5...... possibly the only time they've given a band zero. 

Kerrang's live reviews are always pretty ropey at best.
GeraldFord
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »

That's not really true as they sold like, 22 million CDs in the US and had several radio staples. While I was not at this show, the reviewer may have been right about the shitty sound system. When I saw VR in '04 the sound system sucked pretty hard. Apart from that the review is typical Kerang bullshit.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:02:19 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: