Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 01:29:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228146 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Amy Winehouse
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amy Winehouse  (Read 12629 times)
Lolita
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2007, 11:15:59 AM »

Not really... More shocked about her missing shows because she's wasted... What kind of an alcoholic can't hold her liquor?

If you do not eat and yet get drunk all the time, you surely can't hold your liquor.

I didn't expect much from Winehouse at first since i got to know her via articles about her being loud mouthed and stuff. I just thought she was a Courtney Love wannabe. After a month or two I checked on her song Rehab on youtube and was struck by her voice and her style.? I bought her album and wasn't dissatisfied with it as it bears lots of influences from the 60ies. Definitely more interesting than Avril Lavigne singing "hey you i don't like your girlfriend"? wearing awful pink dresses, horrible make up? and looking like a punk sweet candy,? Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:19:17 AM by Lolita » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2007, 11:20:57 AM »

she was at hultsfredsfestivalen in sweden wich i attended.. she was so drunk onstage.. not funny drunk, pathetic drunk.. she didn't care for the crowd and only had her back turned against the crowd and between songs she chit chatted with her bass player or something, but not in the mic so it's was all dull, i left after rehab and lined up for for 50 cent hihi that's another story rofl
Lolita
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

Just listen to her album and don't bother trying to attend her shows.? Wink Seems she has quite a reputation about being a poor live performer... whenever  she can actually perform
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »

it's sad that this thread has 3 pages but for an example foo fighters only have 2 when they are among the best bands out there today Undecided hihi
Lolita
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »

it's sad that this thread has 3 pages but for an example foo fighters only have 2 when they are among the best bands out there today Undecided hihi

You're right Cheap jon... And you know why it is ? It 's because generally everyone agrees with you about Foo Fighters : they 're a great band. And Grohl is awesome whatever he does. It is easier to discuss about something which divides people.  ok
CSS
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »

Her music is rather good.

But she acts like a complete ass.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »

I think she is a real talent and I've seen her play live twice at the same venue.  The first time was around 3 years ago and there were about 150 people there and she was (as far as i could tell) completely sober and owning the stage.  Her voice was on top form and pretty much every person in the room was deadly quiet cause she was that damn good.

Then I saw her maybe just under a year ago before she started promo for the recent album.  Same small venue (350 capacity) and this time it was sold out.  She came on stage wasted and stumbled around looking a bit stupid.  However, her voice was spot on again and I was really impressed.

The reason she sells loads of records is because she has a unique vocal style and great songwriters.  It's pop music disguised as something quirky - and it works.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2007, 03:12:51 PM »

I'll take a moment to advertise how out of touch I am and admit that I had no idea who she was until this weekend.  I heard the song Rehab on the radio and immediately loved it.  It's like Phil Spector/Ronettes with an edge.  Really good stuff.  On my ipod all the time the last 2 days.

Think I might get the album.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »

Looks like she had an overdose  Roll Eyes

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007360754,00.html
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 02:46:01 PM »

That's the first picture I've seen of her since she lost her weight... Yikes!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 02:59:06 PM »

Hopefully she can get her stuff together .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »

I find her stuff virtually unlistenable, a novelty act at best.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 03:55:12 PM »

I don't think "Rehab" is that good at all.  "You Know I'm No Good" is much better but I have to agree with Falcon on the novelty act thing.  There's one every year.  It was Gnarles Barkley last year (and yes, I did love the "Crazy" song like everyone else did).

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Red1
VIP

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »

I don't think "Rehab" is that good at all.? "You Know I'm No Good" is much better but I have to agree with Falcon on the novelty act thing.? There's one every year.? It was Gnarles Barkley last year (and yes, I did love the "Crazy" song like everyone else did).

Novelty?  Are you crazy?  She has been a pretty succesful artist for a few years now.  The first album was a hit too, just not on the scale of the recent one.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 04:31:06 PM »

I don't think "Rehab" is that good at all.? "You Know I'm No Good" is much better but I have to agree with Falcon on the novelty act thing.? There's one every year.? It was Gnarles Barkley last year (and yes, I did love the "Crazy" song like everyone else did).

Novelty?? Are you crazy?? She has been a pretty succesful artist for a few years now.? The first album was a hit too, just not on the scale of the recent one.

Sorry, maybe I'm only speaking on the US perspective.  Before 2 months ago, nobody here had a damn clue who she was.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2007, 04:36:53 PM »

Novelty?? Are you crazy?? She has been a pretty succesful artist for a few years now.? The first album was a hit too, just not on the scale of the recent one.

Sorry, maybe I'm only speaking on the US perspective.? Before 2 months ago, nobody here had a damn clue who she was.

not in sweden either
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2007, 05:13:17 PM »

Nope, not kidding.

I seriously doubt she'll have any kind of staying power here in the US.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2007, 05:48:07 PM »

I don't think "Rehab" is that good at all.  "You Know I'm No Good" is much better but I have to agree with Falcon on the novelty act thing.  There's one every year.  It was Gnarles Barkley last year (and yes, I did love the "Crazy" song like everyone else did).

Novelty?  Are you crazy?  She has been a pretty succesful artist for a few years now.  The first album was a hit too, just not on the scale of the recent one.

Sorry, maybe I'm only speaking on the US perspective.  Before 2 months ago, nobody here had a damn clue who she was.

I did , but that was only cause the wife listence to her.

She is alright not something I would normal put on to listen to . But if it's on I will listen.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Red1
VIP

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »

Nope, not kidding.

I seriously doubt she'll have any kind of staying power here in the US.

I doubt she' (or the label) will worry about the staying power in the US - in an ideal world yes, but in the real world no British artist is expected ot have longevity in the US.  She has shifted a lot of units over there for a UK artist though in comparison to her peers.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2007, 06:59:04 PM »

She looks awful.  Irony aside, I hope she gets better soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: