Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 432733 times)
Judge Dredd
VIP

Pretty Hate Machine

« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2005, 05:33:43 PM »

so are all their cds as good as this one?

'The Downward Spiral' is, in my mind, one of the greatest albums ever made. When it came out, I hardly listened to anything else for about 6 months.

In addition to the 'All That Could Have Been' live album, check out the DVD, which is quite possibly even better. ok

http://www.gnrstrip.com/forum/

Give Peace A Chance...
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2005, 07:22:35 PM »

U are dead on about the mood, when i really got to listen and pay attention to the lyrics it just sent chills up my spine.

Oh good Lord tell me you're joking.

Let's get something straight first. I fucking love With Teeth. It is great, truly, truly great.

BUT.

The lyrics are dreadful.

Not just bad. Really, really bad.

If I asked you to name three cliches about the 'heart' of somebody not all that nice you would probably say 'black', 'hollow', 'cold'.

The only song on the album that I have found stands out lyrically is 'Right Where it Belongs', my favourite at the moment. (Bear in mind, my favourites tend ot change weekly)

Now, 'All the love...' may be good lyrically, but I'm unsure whether Trent is being cheesy on purpose?

In short, melody and musically wise With Teeth is fantastic. But on a lyrical scale? Prentious, cliched and laughable.

Love it, though.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2005, 08:47:29 PM »

In short, melody and musically wise With Teeth is fantastic. But on a lyrical scale? Prentious, cliched and laughable.

NIN's always been that way though, so lyrical diversity is probably not high on a die-hard NIN fan's wishlist.

I don't intend to buy With Teeth. I'll listen to it, or see them live,  should I get the chance but I'm pretty much done buying NIN albums. There's plenty I like in the NIN back-catalogue but the two new tracks I've heard were a total turn off, I don't know why. I suppose it could be because The Fragile is, in my opinion, NIN's best album by a long shot and the new stuff sounds like a big step backwards.

So, a question to NIN fans who own all or most of  the albums; How does With Teeth measure up? And which previous album does it most resemble, in terms of mood, musical style, and interest?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2005, 09:26:50 PM »

Keep in mind UI that this is the only NIN's cd ive ever owned so i have nothing to compare it to previously.

I think its great.

anyone have the lyrics to "right where it belongs"?

how can it be a great record if the lyrics are dreadful???

so if I love "With Teeth" u are telling me the other albums would totally blow me away? Right?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2005, 09:35:50 PM »

so if I love "With Teeth" u are telling me the other albums would totally blow me away? Right?

I haven't heard that album so I'm not sure exactly how it relates to the others, but if you like the current single then both The Fragile and Downward Spiral  will kick your ass all over the place. Downward Spiral is the more aggressive of the two, The Fragile has a more contemplative, mellower feel.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2005, 11:28:31 PM »

Keep in mind UI that this is the only NIN's cd ive ever owned so i have nothing to compare it to previously.

I think its great.

anyone have the lyrics to "right where it belongs"?

how can it be a great record if the lyrics are dreadful???

Same here, I can't listen to an album unless it has good lyrics.  IU just likes to nite pick everything good, he must write for rolling stone or something. Smiley   hihi

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
usurper
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2005, 08:53:26 AM »

I love NIN but I'm getting annoyed that the www.nin.com site hasn't been updated since it went to black in November. And what about the Tapeworm project Trent was working on with Maynard James Keenan last summer? ?[rant] They published pictures of them working in the studio last summer, but since then there's been no news about it. ?[no]

The project died on it's arse, Trent said Maynard just wasn't into it, there was no vibe between the two
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2005, 09:22:16 AM »

It depends what you like, I find that all NIN albums take a few listens to sink in, the same with the new album.
After one listen I'm still undecided about it, so far it just seems "ok" to me.

The Fragile is a huge double-album epic, with some amazing stuff on there, you just need time to take it all in.
The Downward Spiral is mostly straight-out aggressive industrial music that you'll either love or hate.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2005, 01:48:10 PM »

Same here, I can't listen to an album unless it has good lyrics. IU just likes to nite pick everything good, he must write for rolling stone or something. Smiley hihi

Well then surely you can't listen to With Teeth...

I'm sorry, but how good the lyrics are don't affect my enjoyment of an album, they just affect what level it affects me on.

I don't mean bad lyrics as in they don't fit the song melodically, that wouldn't make sense...

I just mean that they're...Bad.

I'm sure that you've enjoyed plent of films with (what I would class as) bad dialogue.

Not everything has to fit into place to make one aspect of something really good...In With Teeth it is the music.

And don't tell me I'm 'nit picking', because ask anybody with any integrity what they think of those lyrics and they'll tell you that they are pretty dire.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2005, 02:35:26 PM »

Same here, I can't listen to an album unless it has good lyrics. IU just likes to nite pick everything good, he must write for rolling stone or something. Smiley hihi

Well then surely you can't listen to With Teeth...

I'm sorry, but how good the lyrics are don't affect my enjoyment of an album, they just affect what level it affects me on.

I don't mean bad lyrics as in they don't fit the song melodically, that wouldn't make sense...

I just mean that they're...Bad.

I'm sure that you've enjoyed plent of films with (what I would class as) bad dialogue.

Not everything has to fit into place to make one aspect of something really good...In With Teeth it is the music.

And don't tell me I'm 'nit picking', because ask anybody with any integrity what they think of those lyrics and they'll tell you that they are pretty dire.
Trent likes to express his emotions through his lyrics and you Either get or you don't. And what the hell does integrity have to do with NIN or Rock N' Roll for that matter?

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2005, 03:14:36 PM »

That is completly besides the point, that it is him expressing his emotion. Were you trying to make as general a statement as you possibly could? Of course he is expressing himself...That is, of course, irrelevant to whether or not I will enjoy it.

And, actually, integrity has everything to do with rock n' roll. Well, at a base level...

...But hey, as we all know, rock n' roll is full of contradictions.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2005, 06:49:09 PM »

i just bought With Teeth on Friday. i listened to it twice. love the damn thing. should be great fun listening to this over the next few months. fave songs o far is either Every Day Is... or Right Where It Belongs

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2005, 02:45:38 AM »

Nine Inch Nails singer says manager bilked him out of millionsThe Associated Press
Updated: 8:04 p.m. ET May 16, 2005NEW YORK - Alternative-rocker Trent Reznor testified Monday against his longtime manager, saying he was stunned to learn in 2003 that despite millions of dollars in earnings by his band, Nine Inch Nails, he was left with as little as $400,000 in cash.

?I felt I had an accountant I couldn?t trust,? he said in his federal civil lawsuit against John Malm. Reznor contends that his former friend duped him into signing a contract that allowed Malm to collect 20 percent of the singer?s gross earnings rather than net earnings.

A lawyer for Malm, Alan Hirth, said in an opening statement that his client worked many years for no salary and kept nothing secret from Reznor.

?Of the millions upon millions upon millions that Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails made, the vast majority went into his (Reznor?s) pocket,? Hirth said.

Reznor testified he trusted Malm more than anyone in his life when he agreed to let him handle his finances in the 1980s as the band signed its first record contract.

?John was the business guy, and I was the guy working for nothing in the studio,? Reznor told jurors.

He said the pair created their own production company and managed sales of merchandise but the expenses piled up, draining large portions of the millions of dollars the band earned with its music releases and concert tours. He admitted he ignored his finances and sometimes signed documents without reading or understanding them.

Reznor said he began to grow worried about finances when he was told during a meeting with Malm and a lawyer in 2002 that there was ?cause for alarm.?

The following year, he said, he asked Malm to tell him how much money he had. He said he was sent a financial statement that revealed he had at most $3 million in total assets and as little as $400,000 in cash.

Nine Inch Nails? latest single, ?The Hand That Feeds,? is No. 2 on Billboard?s Top 20 list of modern rock tracks.

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2005, 08:16:02 AM »

I would say get Pretty Hate Machine, thats the most similar to this one I think. The Downward Spiral was his most sucessful album but very different in style, much mora aggresive and "industrial" sounding. The Fragile has some great moments like on With Teeth but also has alot of filler, this probably would have been better as a single CD.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2005, 07:16:21 AM »

i still havent gotten into WT proprly
only like all the love, sunspots,onlyand every day... so far

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »

Nine Inch Nails singer says manager bilked him out of millionsThe Associated Press
Updated: 8:04 p.m. ET May 16, 2005NEW YORK - Alternative-rocker Trent Reznor testified Monday against his longtime manager, saying he was stunned to learn in 2003 that despite millions of dollars in earnings by his band, Nine Inch Nails, he was left with as little as $400,000 in cash.

?I felt I had an accountant I couldn?t trust,? he said in his federal civil lawsuit against John Malm. Reznor contends that his former friend duped him into signing a contract that allowed Malm to collect 20 percent of the singer?s gross earnings rather than net earnings.

A lawyer for Malm, Alan Hirth, said in an opening statement that his client worked many years for no salary and kept nothing secret from Reznor.

?Of the millions upon millions upon millions that Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails made, the vast majority went into his (Reznor?s) pocket,? Hirth said.

Reznor testified he trusted Malm more than anyone in his life when he agreed to let him handle his finances in the 1980s as the band signed its first record contract.

?John was the business guy, and I was the guy working for nothing in the studio,? Reznor told jurors.

He said the pair created their own production company and managed sales of merchandise but the expenses piled up, draining large portions of the millions of dollars the band earned with its music releases and concert tours. He admitted he ignored his finances and sometimes signed documents without reading or understanding them.

Reznor said he began to grow worried about finances when he was told during a meeting with Malm and a lawyer in 2002 that there was ?cause for alarm.?

The following year, he said, he asked Malm to tell him how much money he had. He said he was sent a financial statement that revealed he had at most $3 million in total assets and as little as $400,000 in cash.

Nine Inch Nails? latest single, ?The Hand That Feeds,? is No. 2 on Billboard?s Top 20 list of modern rock tracks.

This is interesting. Could the song "the hand that feeds" from the album with_teeth be about the manager John Malm??

the lyrics:

You're keeping in step,
And in line.
Got your chin held high and and you feel just fine 'cause you do,
What you're told.
But inside your heart it is black and it's hollow and it's cold.

Just how deep do you believe?
Will you bite the hand that feeds?
Will you chew until it bleeds?
Can you get up off your knees?
Are you brave enough to see?
Do you wanna change it?

What if this whole crusade's,
A charade,
And behind it all,
There's a price to be paid for the blood,
Which we dine?
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

Just how deep do you believe?
Will you bite the hand that feeds?
Will you chew until it bleeds?
Can you get up off your knees?
Are you brave enough to see?
Do you wanna change it?

So na?ve,
I keep holding what I wanna believe.
I can see,
But I keep holding on and on and on and on.

Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you stay down your knees?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you stay
Down your knees?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you stay
Down your knee?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you stay
Down your knees?
Will you bite,
The hand that feeds you?
Will you stay
Down your knees?....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2005, 07:07:03 PM »

that very easily could be about it.

I bought "The Fragile" today

I got about 5 songs through on my way home and I like what I've heard so far, I already can tell its gonna take multiple listens for it all to sink in.

We're in this together kicks fuckin ass, I know that much on the first listen.

Im gonna sit down with the booklet and give this cd a few spins while reading the lyrics so i can take it all in.

So far though it is epic and I can tell will be a big favorite.

next I'm gonna pick up "the downward spiral" and then pretty hate machine and then pick up some EP's and live albums.

Does anyone have the "Still" cd?

I want that bad but I hear it is damn near impossible to find.

does anyone have it?

thanks everyone for beating me over the head, I am truly getting into this band and I love it.

something new for me!

Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2005, 07:25:55 PM »

D  when you buy  The Downward Spiral pick up the Deluxe Edition.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2005, 03:30:20 AM »

Yeah, absolutely, the deluxe is worth the extra $. 
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2005, 10:16:53 PM »

MTV has issued a statement in response to NINE INCH NAILS' decision to drop out of the "2005 MTV Movie Awards" following a dispute over NIN's plan to incorporate an image of George W. Bush into their performance of the song "The Hand That Feeds".

NIN's decision to pull out of the show was announced Thursday (May 26) via a statement posted by NAILS frontman Trent Reznor on NIN.com.

"NINE INCH NAILS will not be performing at the 'MTV Movie Awards' as previously announced. We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straightforward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop," Reznor wrote. "Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me. See you on tour this fall when we return to play in America."

In a brief statement, MTV expressed disappointment in NINE INCH NAILS' decision to drop out of the broadcast.

"While we respect NINE INCH NAILS' point of view, we were uncomfortable with their performance being built around a partisan political statement," the statement reads, according to MTV.com. "When we discussed our discomfort with the band, their choice was to unfortunately pull out of the Movie Awards."

MTV announced that the FOO FIGHTERS would be taking NIN's spot on the show.

The "2005 MTV Movie Awards" air Thursday, June 9 at 8:30 p.m.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: