Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 02:32:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 407484 times)
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2007, 04:22:55 AM »

i liked it the first time around, but the story makes more sence on the second or third listens

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2007, 08:31:31 AM »

Not a good or even close to accurate review IMO.

i agree with the full album gets boring listen, and eventually skip thing, cause thats what i did it was so bland near the end.

html sucks
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #942 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »

i agree with the full album gets boring listen, and eventually skip thing, cause thats what i did it was so bland near the end.

Huh? It wasn't an accurate review because the reviewer like yourself (unless you are joking) are squares. You think the album gets bland towards the end? Wow. I actually think the album picks up considerably when the "Warning " hits on track 9 and doesn't let up untill its done. Maybe some will not be feeling the instrumental on 14 but with Track 9, Year Zero descends into a very dark and tripped out path. Its from there that you either decide to take the red pill... or you don't. This album is clearly the best album of the year, if not the best of the past few. Unreal.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #943 on: April 18, 2007, 10:45:40 AM »

Huh? It wasn't an accurate review because the reviewer like yourself (unless you are joking) are squares. You think the album gets bland towards the end? Wow. I actually think the album picks up considerably when the "Warning " hits on track 9 and doesn't let up untill its done. Maybe some will not be feeling the instrumental on 14 but with Track 9, Year Zero descends into a very dark and tripped out path. Its from there that you either decide to take the red pill... or you don't. This album is clearly the best album of the year, if not the best of the past few. Unreal.

it does not make me a square to think that this album was crap. ive liked every nin album, i just found this one rushed and not very good at all, it lacked everything i like from a nin song, i hate trents new style in delivering vocals also, its very irritating to say the least.

html sucks
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #944 on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:01 PM »

Here's a crazy idea.  Maybe...now bear with me...different people have different opinions? 

And what if...God, this is crazy...what if we lived in a world where you were ALLOWED to have and express those different opinions?

Wow.  I'm so progressive.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #945 on: April 18, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »

Alright alright. I just think its more that some people want Trent to stay anguished and in despair. Its hard for people to accept that, like us, artists grow older too.  But in this case Trent has created something that is a deep and fantastical journey. Instead of a personal journey in self discovery, he is looking at the world existentially. Year Zero would make a pretty compelling novel. Its different yea. But some aren't seeing how far the rabbit hole is going, and that's a shame.

The music is great. Its great NIN music. It so combines their past work, that its hard to imagine a NIN fan not digging the crap out of it. It blends all of their previous sounds, except for maybe With Teeth, beautifully. And it is tight and filled with awesome hooks with a fresh idea. Its not something I am saying you are wrong if you don't agree with me. It would be like a GNR fan saying TWAT is crap. They are entitled to their opinion. But I can think they are crazy as fuck though can't I?

I think maybe some aren't wanting to give in to it for some preconceived reason. Maybe its something some aren't giving a better chance. Or its something they only listened to from their computer which isn't proper like at all.

D is right that it HAS to be heard loudly with a good setup to fully appreciate it (or with some decent headphones. But this album is deeper and more thought provoking then anything I have heard in a looong time, while moving my well fed head with this groovy rhythm funk but still thoroughly NIN sound that assaults my senses.

And regarding how deep I think it is. I originally thought that the Presence was maybe this drug induced hallucination. But then I started to agree with RichardNixon in that it is an alien after all. But hearing Year Zero again today, I am starting to think that maybe its actually a god. Talking about the chosen few that are accepted based on their true selves, and that the time has come for the world to get cleansed of the ones who create fear. Kind of like the story of Noah's Ark. This is actually just one part of what makes Year Zero. Everything isn't so matter of fact like IGN's review. Its not a simple (It takes place fifteen years from now and yadda yadda yadda the end). There is a lot more to it and that is what is so great about Year Zero. Its not just some 2 dimensional, just another album. Its not just another NIN release either. It paints a picture for a world that, maybe we are all heading into.

What unfortunately some are saying here is similar to the people that think Starry Night by V.van Gogh is just a painting of well, stars.

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #946 on: April 18, 2007, 01:43:56 PM »

i was thinking that the presence was god too. i figured it was just "god" or some higher power finally coming down and setting things right.

and i agree about trent's lyrics, it was a welcome change and a breath of fresh air.

i also agree with with what buddha master said about the record, i can't see any hardcore NIN fan really not liking it. i dig it, i just don't find it as good as people are saying it is. but its definitely not a bad record.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
GeraldFord
« Reply #947 on: April 18, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »

Alright alright. I just think its more that some people want Trent to stay anguished and in despair. Its hard for people to accept that, like us, artists grow older too.

Reznor is like what, 41, 42? It was cool when he was in his 20s to be "anguished and in despair" but I for one am glad that he's moving on.
anythinggoes
« Reply #948 on: April 18, 2007, 02:33:10 PM »

This album sounds even more amazing when u crank it WAY THE FUCK UP on a great sound system.

My car has a factory system which isnt great and it sounded good.

I got it home on my computer which has an excellent sound system and HOLY SHIT! ok

Right now I am really loving "Vessel"

I have to agree as well i was listenin to it on my pc yeah it sounds good, but i put it in my Hi Fi with the surround sound jesus it sounds almost a different album ( well sort of but you get the idea)
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #949 on: April 18, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »

My review, based on 3 listens:

Production- and sound-wise this is a brilliant album. The beats hit you straight in the face.

The concept is a cool one, with all the internet stuff, hidden USB sticks, government control - great timing of that, and important too.

Some of the songs are catchy, others need a few plays to grow on the listener.

Some reviews I have read question the overall direction, and hints that Trent is messing or fumbling around with sounds too much. I strongly disagree with that, and feel that the album is solid, monumental and coherent. A great piece of work, and as good a concept album as any, almost.

What the album lacks is a couple of strong melodies, songs that take really unexpected turns and open up into beautiful soundscapes or whatever. I don't really know how to express what I mean, but melody-wise, it lacks the x-factor to surpass the previous releases.

But if you are a fan, that doesn't matter. This is something new, once again. Every NIN release is a renaissance and that is Trent's genious. If you want pop-hit-NIN you can find it, if you want doomsday-NIN you can find it, all facets of the rich catalogue that Trent is building.

I feel sorry for those who can't relate to NIN's music, really. This is a GNR forum and although the music is sometimes vastly different the bands are very similar in that they do their own thing, with integrity and is able to touch a nerve in people that few others can.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #950 on: April 18, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »

I feel sorry for those who can't relate to NIN's music, really. This is a GNR forum and although the music is sometimes vastly different the bands are very similar in that they do their own thing, with integrity and is able to touch a nerve in people that few others can.

QFTMotherFuckingT

Very nicely said. Review from the heart too. Welcome to the boards mother fucker.

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #951 on: April 19, 2007, 02:11:27 PM »

I keep going back and forth on whether the Presence is a god or if it is an alien. Now I am starting to question things. If a superior being, this Presence, was to come down on us just like what is said in the Warning, what would the difference be? That is fucking trippy.

If an Alien that was this much more superior to humans... it would be god. God = Alien. They would be the same.

If you didn't believe the Alien was your god, and he was to correct the many wrongs it itself has observed, you would be made to. All the fantasy imagery in the bible, would be easily made by a superior being, like an extra terrestrial would be. Most of Earth's population would kneel down to the Presence.

So, I now think its clear the Presence is an alien. And the Presence is also god.

stinson4ever
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #952 on: April 19, 2007, 02:28:28 PM »

I keep going back and forth on whether the Presence is a god or if it is an alien. Now I am starting to question things. If a superior being, this Presence, was to come down on us just like what is said in the Warning, what would the difference be? That is fucking trippy.

If an Alien that was this much more superior to humans... it would be god. God = Alien. They would be the same.

If you didn't believe the Alien was your god, and he was to correct the many wrongs it itself has observed, you would be made to. All the fantasy imagery in the bible, would be easily made by a superior being, like an extra terrestrial would be. Most of Earth's population would kneel down to the Presence.

So, I now think its clear the Presence is an alien. And the Presence is also god.
Trent is obviosly being vague for a reason. He wants you to be confused on what the presence is, at least for this record.
GeraldFord
« Reply #953 on: April 19, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »

In "The Warning," assuming Trent is talking about "the presence," or an alien, whatever it is, it doesn't come down. It is just watching humanity, and, as the title says, is giving a warning, saying that your time is "tick, tick, ticking away."
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #954 on: April 19, 2007, 04:41:56 PM »

But it says, the Presence (which there seems to be many), came down from the sky. Here. This is what I make of the lyrics:

Some say it was a warning
Some say it was a sign
I was standing right there
When it came down from the sky
The way it spoke to us
We felt it from inside
Said it was up to us
Up to us to decide

You've become a virus
That's eaten up its host
We've been watching you with all of our eyes
And what you seem to value most
So much potential, so you used to say
Your greed, self-importance and your arrogance
Waste it all way

May be a crime
We've come to intervene
You can change your ways
***** And we will wipe this place clean

Your time is tick-tick-ticking away

-Scary part is this is only one song, one piece, of this whole idea.

*made this edit to say that I agree that its just assuming this is referring to the "Presence."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 04:58:25 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #955 on: April 19, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »

^
you could interpret that as the warning coming down from the sky, not the actual presence. *shrugs*

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #956 on: April 19, 2007, 05:16:06 PM »

True. Its the imagery that is on the cover (Richards icon) that gets me. I am picturing that image. Maybe that is wrong. What do you suppose that is anyway? The shape of the alien/god itself? The hand of god/alien (kind of looks like a hand too)? That looks like its coming down from the sky literally.

maynard
« Reply #957 on: April 19, 2007, 05:44:06 PM »

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=23267&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

amazing.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #958 on: April 19, 2007, 06:25:18 PM »

... ... ... ... holy fuck. I don't even know what to say.... thank you for the heads up maynard. that video. Just kind of zipped through it because of time here but wow. will absord that in full tonight. NIN jsut might have done the greatest thing in music in a good long time....  Shocked

maynard
« Reply #959 on: April 19, 2007, 11:42:53 PM »

They said the whole setlist included The Perfect Drug, I believe it's a joke, they knew they would play just the first songs and somebody would pick the list and would post on foruns. If it's true, can't wait to hear it.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: