Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 07:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 407897 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #920 on: April 16, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »

Year Zero = Best album of the decade.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #921 on: April 16, 2007, 07:40:38 AM »

errr no, i have to disagree mr nixon.

html sucks
GeraldFord
« Reply #922 on: April 16, 2007, 07:50:38 AM »

You're right...Mr. Reznor still has another 2.5 years to outdo himself...

Btw, can't you imagine "God Given" being given a few spins in the clubs?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #923 on: April 16, 2007, 08:03:06 AM »

You're right...Mr. Reznor still has another 2.5 years to outdo himself...

Btw, can't you imagine "God Given" being given a few spins in the clubs?

nah i really wasnt impressed with this album at all.

other than the good soldier, that had a great groove.

html sucks
anythinggoes
« Reply #924 on: April 16, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »

Ha ha ha the disc is heat reactive i put it in the player the disc was black, ejected it and it was grey with writin on it i thought i was going crazy at first till i realised. 
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #925 on: April 16, 2007, 05:50:25 PM »

That's funny. I'm heat-reactive, too. I wonder how this'll turn out.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #926 on: April 16, 2007, 07:26:38 PM »

Ha ha ha the disc is heat reactive i put it in the player the disc was black, ejected it and it was grey with writin on it i thought i was going crazy at first till i realised.?

That's fucking awesome! Cant wait to pick up the disc tomorrow. I cannot stop listening to this album. It is so damn good.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
GeraldFord
« Reply #927 on: April 16, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »

Been listening non-stop since it's been on NIN.com

It just gets better and better.

And this is just the first volume! I hope the second part comes out the day of the GOP convention!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #928 on: April 17, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »

On my way to buy it at 4pm.

Cant wait.

I only list ened to a few songs on NIN.com

Heard enough, decided waiting on the album was worth it. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #929 on: April 17, 2007, 05:31:22 PM »

I think I just got the concept. Feel free to correct or add to it.

Year Zero takes place in the future. Its a totalitarian future where the Government is god and people are made to think whatever they want them to think. People are given hard drugs and made to believe there is this "Presence" for control. Or maybe the "Presence" is really alien. Probably the former. Anyway, like the secret websites, this music is from these people from the future to make us understand where things are going and how this all will end. The music really paints a real image of how things are in the future...in the Year Zero. After some kind of an apocalypse.?

I almost thought I lost my fucking mind when I ejected the CD from the CD player. You fuckers do that yet? Holy fucking shit...that is crazy! Look at your disc before it goes in...and how it looks when it comes out.

The music now hits much harder with this understanding of what is happening in the Year Zero. I am really fucking loving this.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:33:56 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #930 on: April 17, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »

^
HAHAHA Yeah I was about to post the same fucking thing.

I was listening to it in the car on my way home. Ejected it so I could listen to it in the house and I looked at the CD for a minute and though "WHAT THE FUCK?"

Great shit all the way around.

The songs are amazing, the promoting was the greatest ever and I agree with your theory of the album.

GeraldFord
« Reply #931 on: April 17, 2007, 06:54:23 PM »

I thought the presence was an alien, as described in "The Warning."
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #932 on: April 17, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »

Right. Its just that there is a good couple references throughout regarding the taking of psychedelics (like with the referencing of psilocybin). It kind of makes me think of that movie Jacob's Ladder, where you thought there was creatures and aliens fucking with ths dude, until the revelation that the government was giving soldiers these fucked up psychedelic drugs so they could have this control them (or maybe it was just a bad side effect of the drugs). Made them hallucinate and see these aliens.

Maybe the point is that, in a twilight zone way, there really is this thing. But maybe its these drugs.

The songs perspective is really seeing this presence right? Hmmm.

GeraldFord
« Reply #933 on: April 17, 2007, 07:24:44 PM »

The story is pretty vague. Maybe all will be revealed with the follow-up album.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #934 on: April 17, 2007, 07:28:32 PM »

This album sounds even more amazing when u crank it WAY THE FUCK UP on a great sound system.

My car has a factory system which isnt great and it sounded good.

I got it home on my computer which has an excellent sound system and HOLY SHIT! ok

Right now I am really loving "Vessel"

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #935 on: April 17, 2007, 11:12:38 PM »

Nine Inch Nails- Year Zero
Trent Reznor's concept album returns to electronic roots. How does it all hold together?
by Chris Carle

April 17, 2007 - Trent Reznor has made a career of mixing futuristic sound with base desire. Starting with Pretty Hate Machine, he set forth a world view that is fractured and flawed, but very human in the face of a culture that is ever becoming more robotic and unfeeling by the moment.

NIN has had its ups and downs, tinkering incrementally with harder, more distorted sounds and creeping away from the more electronic home base of PHM. With Broken, he dispatched the almost funky vibe of "Down In It" with a barrage of raw-edged metal in the form of "Wish."

After Broken, he mashed the sounds together to form the most aurally diverse record, The Downward Spiral, which featured perhaps the strongest song of his career, "Closer." None of his work since has captured the power and flawed majesty of Reznor atop this throne of decadence.

With Year Zero, Reznor's first studio offering in two years, he returns to a more electronic sound, but a dirtier one than graced PHM. The beats and synth cues have been bathed in decay, feedback and filthy distortion. The guitars aren't fully gone, but they've been downplayed, and the result is an album that maintains the Reznor aesthetic while converting the snarl to something more digital.

This is a self-described concept record, and a bit of an experiment. The story is set fifteen years in the future, and all of the tracks help to unfold a new element of the tale. In it, Reznor paints a dystopian view of mankind, and the electronic barrage is a metaphor for machines asserting control where humanity loses it. All the tracks are written and performed by Reznor himself, and he gets a production boost from collaborator Atticus Ross.

Did the experiment succeed? Mostly. At sixteen tracks, Year Zero begins to blur into itself, as the tempo and general dynamic remains similar throughout. This is a theme record through and through, but at times, it seems like instead of riffing on the theme, each track follows the same format, lurching along on a wave of scummy bass and same-tempo drums.

That's not saying the music is bad, it just doesn't command one's attention the way songs like "Closer," "Wish" and "Something I Can Never Have" have in the past. As Reznor puts it, Year Zero is more of a "sound collage," which at some points on this record, seems like code for "background music".

There are standout tracks, however, and they are the reason to pick up this disc. Beginning with the departure track "The Beginning of the End," this disc offers an altered version of Nine Inch Nails; a slightly toned-down, less angry but even more fatalistic new world order.

Also intriguing is the third track, "Survivalism," with a steroid-fueled chorus over a scramble of electronic insect warble. Employing the standard NIN build to frenetic, hardcore release, "Survivalism" is the standout track on the disc, and the classmate voted most likely to succeed.

The downtempo vibe of "The Good Soldier," combined with a low, growling guitar is another high point, but this disc is front-loaded with gems? as it winds down there is less and less holding it together.

"God Given" is a light amid the wash of sameness that plagues the middle of the album, and there are some cool moments on "The Greater Good," but for the most part, the disc slides into a lazy trip-hop vibe and stays there too long.

What's perhaps most disappointing is the fact that the lyrics could be cribbed from any major dystopic Hollywood movie, and the vision of the future, although possibly accurate, shows no real creativity. The result is an interesting soundscape with relatively little supporting it.

Diehard Nine Inch Nails fans will find plenty to love on this record, and there are enough standalone tracks for more casual fans to embrace individual offerings. However, though it is a concept album and designed to go together, the experience of actually listening to the whole thing gets bland, and track skipping will definitely occur. In fact, if one kept the first five songs on repeat, it's a much stronger effort.

Definitely Download:
1) The Beginning of the End
2) Survivalism
3) God Given

IGN's Ratings for Year Zero

http://music.ign.com/articles/781/781271p1.html

gnrevolution.com
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #936 on: April 18, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »

Not a good or even close to accurate review IMO.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #937 on: April 18, 2007, 02:19:12 AM »

That review sucks.

Any review that doesnt include "Vessel" and how amazingly awesome it is constitutes a shit review.

U cant possibly listen to a CD like this one time and "get it."

GeraldFord
« Reply #938 on: April 18, 2007, 02:31:24 AM »

The thing that's good about "professional" editorial reviews is that they are usually objective and give you a better perspective than what a fan-boy will tell you from a fan site. The downside is, unless it's Dylan or the Beatles, reviewers often nit-pick and look for things to bitch about, for the sake of having "a critical ear."
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2007, 02:31:39 AM »

Yeah i have no idea what album he was listening to and he obviously didn't more then once.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: