Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 11:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228158 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 408112 times)
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1600 on: July 25, 2008, 09:20:35 PM »

Bought my copy of The Slip today - the DVD stuff looks and sounds really good. Worth it just for those rehearsal vids. Robin and Josh dominate those tracks, and of course Trent and Ally put on a great show. The bassist looks and sounds cool too, but I don't know much about him.
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #1601 on: July 26, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »

NIN Nails Pemberton Opening Night
The final act on the opening night of the Pemberton Music Festival was Nine Inch Nails. It was the first show of the band's North American tour and, clearly, Trent Reznor and Co. wanted to make a very big impression. They did. If Chromeo ruled the earlier portion of the day, these mainstream industrial metallists proved its mettle as the night one headliners:

So, in honour of the name, nine reasons why I liked Nine Inch Nails' show:

1. ?Closer?: OK, the band has a lot of popular albums. But many don't connect with the wide-ranging fan base up here. That said, this song with it's unprintable refrain about engaging your partner in sexual relations that are bestial went over like a cue to start bumping and grinding. Case in point, the three women in the VIP area who went from group dance to group grope to the applause of the surrounding crowd.

2. The Production: The lighting rig for this was awesome. Particularly, the fallen digital curtain that appeared to respond to the band's heat registry making eerie halos around them as the  samples triggered.

3. The Building Riff: One characteristic of the group's sound is its ability to create anticipation and tension in ever-increasing waves by pummelling riffs that layer upon one another only to fracture out into surprising turns.

4. The Surprising Turns.: How about going from a full on three guitar army to one simple, lonely beat. From chaos to near silence. Holy impact.

5. The Implied Dance Beats: As basically a straight-ahead metal act, it's the way that tunes such as ?Terrible Lie? and other Downward Spiral classics fit in a techno groove that somehow finds its way out of the mix and onto the dancefloor.

6. Trent Reznor's Physicality: Good frontmen give it up and he does. Hurling his body about and tossing mic stands around without concern of being bashed by them when they land is pretty rock.

7. Enduring Creation: With a huge back catalogue, the group still inserts a good deal of new material into every set and the songs played from The Slip as well as at least one instrumental from Ghosts kept it interesting for fans.

8. The Whole Black Thing: A band that can fly the leather and rubber into its second decade and still look cool doing it is a very rare thing. These guys can do it. Of course, Rezor's turning into the Joe Piscopo of hard music since sobering up is a factor. Dude is BUFF.

9. Danger; Implied or Otherwise: The number of punters on site who thought that some kind of aggro-riot would follow NIN's performance was amusing ? it so didn't happen ? but proves that the group still has that most important cachet; fear factor. Without it, why would the kids keep listening.

And so night number one rolls into Junkie XL's set at the Bacardi B-Live tent and the deafening buzz of hungry critters that make your basic mosquito look like a Godzilla. Kinda cool when you rub down your arm and have a trail of blood (yours) and guts (theirs) in the aftermath.

More music tomorrow in what looks to be a better line-up than today in pretty much every way. Although there are a lot of media here who won't shut up about the dour and over-appreciated Interpol.

Oh well, that's music critics for yez.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/stuartsblog/archive/2008/07/26/nin-nails-pemberton-opening-night.aspx

999 999
1 000 000
Letting You
Discipline
March of the Pigs
Head Down
The Frail
Piggy
Closer         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGpeuBTbypk
Gave Up
Corona Radiata
The Warning
The Great Destroyer
Echoplex
Wish
Terrible Lie
Survivalisim
31 Ghosts IV
The Big Comedown
Only
God Given
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:26:57 PM by leatherebel » Logged

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
GeraldFord
« Reply #1602 on: July 26, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »

Setlist looks great...but where is 'capital G'?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1603 on: July 26, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »

on another day?

cool pic.
10. robin Finck's Physicality Cool
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #1604 on: July 26, 2008, 03:14:02 PM »

Capital G is not in the extended set for this leg of the tour.
I'm only surprized Hurt was not played last night.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #1605 on: July 26, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »

I'm guessing the setlist for the rest of the tour will be a little shorter than the private show and a little longer than this festival performance.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1606 on: July 26, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »

I hope they play "The Great Destroyer" at my concert.

That is probably my fave song right now.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1607 on: July 27, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »

Well went and saw NIN last night ! Robin kicked ass as usual and his guitar went out on him so he took it and knocked his mic down and then threw his guitar to the ground.  Since I was in seattle and the Key Arena sucks I couldn't go out by the tour bus to meet him.  I think its 50/50 if he rejoins gnr but I think he will.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #1608 on: July 28, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »

Letting You
Discipline
March Of The Pigs
Head Down
The Frail
Closer
Gave Up

The Warning
The Great Destroyer

Ghosts 1
Ghosts 25
Ghosts 19
Piggy
The Greater Good

Pinion
Wish
Terrible Lie
Survivalism                           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvqJOyoFnZc
The Big Come Down             http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCWb3iCPMaw
Ghosts 31
Only
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole

Echoplex
The Beginning of the End
The Good Soldier
Hurt
In This Twilight                 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtlj0KIrx0

http://vimeo.com/1415133

review by Netharos at the spiral:

I was really happy with last night's show! Far and away I think it topped the With Teeth performance (not that I didn't enjoy that one). Seeing Robin Finck on stage again was surreal, and he absolutely kicked ass! My gf hasn't been listening to NIN for very long, and didn't know who he was, and she thought he was the one of the coolest musicians she had ever seen. I hope Robin is never absent from the band again.

The Greater Good light show was so eerie and disturbing, I thought it fit perfectly with the mood of the song. The Ghosts performances really made this show special, and I loved seeing the continual addition of new instruments--including unexpected ones like a cello, xylophones, and whatever kind of wind instrument Robin was playing. NIN gave us something completely new, and reaffirmed my belief that this is simply the most dynamic and talented band in current history.

Seeing Reznor's "human moments" also made this experience truly unique. Giving props to his band was the coolest thing--because those guys absolutely deserve it. I've never been more happy with who's in the band, and I hope Robin, Josh, Allesandro, and Justin stay on for a long time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28990545@N05/sets/72157606403740168/

w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #1609 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:04 AM »

love that last pic of Robins silhouette  beer
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1610 on: July 28, 2008, 04:00:10 AM »

the band sounds fucking fantastic!    I like the afro bass justin guy more than I thought I would.  beer
alex420gnr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1611 on: July 28, 2008, 12:45:41 PM »

NIN is truely amazing now Robin is back

I like how he has reinvented his look again

hate to say it, but Robin is a better fit with NIN's music and image - his guitar playing is too grungy for GNR

GNR would be better to get someone new or maybe keep it to 2 guitar players

One suggestion would be a NIN/GNR Co-Headlining tour when Chidem drops Robin could guest on a couple of trax like Izzy did back in 2006

Shit, it worked for Kiss/Aerosmith a couple of years ago
They could take turns on who opens each night

face it  - NIN is almost more relevant now than GNR - These last coupls of shows prove they are not afraid to play lots of new material

Guns needs to drop the album and prove they are a band who can rely on the new songs
The songs now speak for themselves

anyway, nice to see Robin is keeping busy
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1612 on: July 28, 2008, 01:59:30 PM »

GNR is not afraid to play new songs at all.
NIN wouldn't play several songs from their upcoming albums would it?
alex420gnr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1613 on: July 28, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »

The only reason GNR plays any new songs is because they have been leaked - look at their setlists

the only exception is RIR3 and the 2002 tour - they played new songs then because they had to offer something new to curb curiosity

NIN have a huge catalogue now and they are not afraid to dig deep
shit, the Ghosts album is about as obscure as you can get

Time will tell how many new songs will be played once CD drops
The band seems to have a hard enough time teaching all new band members the old songs
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1614 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:45 PM »

Ehm, I don't like to post in threads about bands I don't like.

But I would take GN'R's quality over NIN's quantity.

Axl's diarrhea > NIN's best song.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1615 on: July 28, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »

This isn't a NIN vs. GN'R thread.
makane
Legend

« Reply #1616 on: July 28, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

Ehm, I don't like to post in threads about bands I don't like.

But I would take GN'R's quality over NIN's quantity.

Axl's diarrhea > NIN's best song.
Oh you're so right. How can anyone disagree with you? Thanks alot, now I know Better.

New stage setup looks good though. Putting that shit up every night has to be some hard work, and probably pays some big bucks.

I predict theres gonna be some "power problems" and angry Reznors this tour too!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 06:07:32 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
alex420gnr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1617 on: July 28, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »

Definitely - Trent has expressed the stage production and light show are just as important as the music to the overall concert experience
A couple of years ago he flipped out when the light show went caput - i think its on youtube from some festival
I was watching NIN's latest concert DVD in high definition and WOW!!  almost choreagraphed to a T

GNR does similar things with the pyrotecnics in certain songs

Kiss and Alice Cooper may have invented this concert experience, but the newer bands have taken it to a new level

no one tops Floyd though!!

Rock On !!
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #1618 on: July 29, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »

Edmonton 07/28/2008

Letting you
Discipline
March of the pigs
Head down
The frail
The wretched
Closer
Gave up
Me I'm not
Vessel
Ghosts 5
Ghosts 6
Ghosts 19
Piggy
The greater good
Wish
Terrible lie
Survivalism
The big come down
Ghosts 31
Only
Head like a hole

Echoplex
Beginning of the end
Good soldier
Hurt
In this twilight

Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/d0t/sets/72157606430542430/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29046729@N04/

GeraldFord
« Reply #1619 on: July 29, 2008, 07:14:40 PM »

Selist looks great. A lot of Ghosts in there, which is cool.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: