Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 04:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 405329 times)
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1400 on: May 05, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »

ugh so far this new album isnt doing much for me either.

Too much electronica, i cant get anything from music like that, theres no emotion is a processed digital sound that someone can create on apple software.

thanks for uploading anyway

ummm dude whens the last time NIN had a "rock" sound? With Teeth is the closest he came to that. trent's always done music with a heavily processed sound.

i like Year Zero but my fave NIN album is probably The Fragile or The Downward Spiral.

Broken's not an album but its fucking awesome too.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1401 on: May 05, 2008, 05:12:42 PM »

not as good as my favourite NIN, with teeth

agreed. I'm guessing this is about how many songs they can make while robin is with them.....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1402 on: May 05, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »

Too much electronica, i cant get anything from music like that, theres no emotion is a processed digital sound that someone can create on apple software.

ummm dude whens the last time NIN had a "rock" sound? With Teeth is the closest he came to that. trent's always done music with a heavily processed sound.

i like Year Zero but my fave NIN album is probably The Fragile or The Downward Spiral.

i love all those albums, they all have instruments in them, sure strange noises over them with alot of digital stuff but the foundations are still guitars n stuff.

I love With Teeth, it was one of my first NIN albums i heard.

html sucks
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1403 on: May 05, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »

i love all those albums, they all have instruments in them, sure strange noises over them with alot of digital stuff but the foundations are still guitars n stuff.

I love With Teeth, it was one of my first NIN albums i heard.

o ok. u have a point. i like With Teeth too. i havent listened to the new album yet so i cant make a judgement yet on how it sounds.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
greendog
« Reply #1404 on: May 05, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »

i havent listened to the new album yet so i cant make a judgement yet on how it sounds.

It sounds like With Teeth, just with a lot more bollocks... then theres a hint of Pretty Hate Machine's simplicity and to top it off, there are elements that can be linked with the Year Zero story. Oh, theres a fair amount of layers aswell, just like The Fragile... and some of the angst from Broken.

Personally its great and at the same time, it stands completely on its own from the rest of NIN stuff.

Im not saying its Year Zero 2, but there are links far too obvious to ignore... intentionally or unintentionally by Trent, I don't care. Its there.

agreed. I'm guessing this is about how many songs they can make while robin is with them.....

Its not about that at all. Robin didn't even write anything, he only performed.

to make it clear and quote from the PDF file with the album:

"WRITTEN BY TRENT REZNOR
Performed by Trent Reznor with Josh Freese, Robin Finck and Alessandro Cortini"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:39:52 PM by greendog » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #1405 on: May 05, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »

I'm with D on YZ...great album.

I just downloaded the slip into my I-pod, so I'll have to get back to y'all on that.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #1406 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »

downloaded it. but haven't played it yet

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1407 on: May 06, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »

Holy shit!

More info is forthcoming. Wow Trent... fucking wow. How the fuck is he producing this so quality so quickly after the last, which was beautiful soundscape, that was released so quickly after Year Zero, that rocked my inner sci fi geek to the core.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1408 on: May 06, 2008, 01:48:18 AM »

This One?s on Trent Reznor

By JEFF LEEDS; Compiled by LAWRENCE VAN GELDER
Published: May 6, 2008

In an unusual nod to the popularity of free music online, the rock act Nine Inch Nails is offering its new studio album, ?The Slip,? through its Web site, nin.com, for nothing. In a post on the site, the band?s leader, Trent Reznor, said, ?Thank you for your continued and loyal support over the years ? this one?s on me.? The album, which became available for download early Monday morning, seems to be the first time a superstar act has distributed an entire album free, without an option for fans to pay. Two months ago the band issued the instrumental album ?Ghosts I-IV,? allowing fans to obtain a portion of it free or the entire recording for $5. Before that the British rock act Radiohead offered its 2007 album, ?In Rainbows,? online with a tip-jar-style setup in which buyers could name their price, including nothing. ?The Slip? could serve as a test of how the easy availability of free music online affects later CD sales and other money-making opportunities. ?The Slip? will not be sold on CD or vinyl until at least July. But the free digital version could stoke interest for Nine Inch Nails? recently announced concert tour. Not everyone seems convinced that such giveaways will be more than a promotional gimmick. But Jim Guerinot, the talent manager who represents Nine Inch Nails ? which is now without a record contract and controls its own recordings ? said: ?Free exists whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Let?s acknowledge that, use it and do something with it.?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/arts/music/06arts-THISONESONTR_BRF.html?ref=arts

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1409 on: May 06, 2008, 02:00:57 AM »

Holy shit!

More info is forthcoming. Wow Trent... fucking wow. How the fuck is he producing this so quality so quickly after the last, which was beautiful soundscape, that was released so quickly after Year Zero, that rocked my inner sci fi geek to the core.

its probably because he freed himself of his record contract and has 100% control of his music now.    he doesn't care if he doesn't sell as many copies because he is making much more per album by selling his albums for 5 bucks a pop himself than having it done by the record company.
GeraldFord
« Reply #1410 on: May 06, 2008, 03:13:07 AM »

I listened to the slip once?and thought it was pretty good. Sounds very organic, raw?kind of the polar opposite of Year Zero. I?m gonna give it a few more spins. It always takes a while to dig a new NIN!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1411 on: May 06, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »

Its not about that at all. Robin didn't even write anything, he only performed.

to make it clear and quote from the PDF file with the album:

"WRITTEN BY TRENT REZNOR
Performed by Trent Reznor with Josh Freese, Robin Finck and Alessandro Cortini"

I didn't say while robin is writing with them, did I? what make you so sure it's not about that?
isn't Trent a bit of a speed demon lately? as a result the album sounds impromptu, imo. guess that's intended and good as it is.

So robin is on it...but strangely, rather invisible, isn't he? like a ninja...
unlike when he's with GNR
greendog
« Reply #1412 on: May 06, 2008, 02:29:55 PM »

I didn't say while robin is writing with them, did I? what make you so sure it's not about that?
isn't Trent a bit of a speed demon lately? as a result the album sounds impromptu, imo. guess that's intended and good as it is.

I don't believe for one second that Trent would be rushing to write and record and album just because Fincks on board for now.
The reason I'm sure about that is because looking at NINs catalogue so far, it would be stupid and pointless for Trent to suddenly decide to 'rush' anything. Trents hardly going to be wanking with joy over the fact that he's got someone else to lay down parts he wrote himself.

I wouldn't exactly call Trent a speed demon either, Ghosts was a 10 week experiment and The Slip has come out now. Agreed, its faster. Especially for Trent. He's just digging the fact that he can get art to the fans in a much shorter space of time than with a record company.

He's already said himself that he will probably end up taking more time over the next releases.

EDIT:

Sweet Mary Mother of Jesus, its arrived!

<3
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 03:58:59 PM by greendog » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1413 on: May 06, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »

The album can also be streamed from iLike

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Nine+Inch+Nails/album/The+Slip?fan_wall_page=1

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
makane
Legend

« Reply #1414 on: May 06, 2008, 05:33:15 PM »

I don't believe for one second that Trent would be rushing to write and record and album just because Fincks on board for now.
The reason I'm sure about that is because looking at NINs catalogue so far, it would be stupid and pointless for Trent to suddenly decide to 'rush' anything. Trents hardly going to be wanking with joy over the fact that he's got someone else to lay down parts he wrote himself.

I wouldn't exactly call Trent a speed demon either, Ghosts was a 10 week experiment and The Slip has come out now. Agreed, its faster. Especially for Trent. He's just digging the fact that he can get art to the fans in a much shorter space of time than with a record company.

He's already said himself that he will probably end up taking more time over the next releases.

Yes.

The fact that Trent has released a full lenght album so soon after Ghosts is not necessarily "rushing it". In a very short timespan hes released several albums, which means he probably has a ton of tracks/ideas left.

It's pretty obvious that most of these were written before Ghosts, I suspect somewhere between the release of WT and writing process of YZ. It doesn't take too long to record and release when you don't have a record label to interfere.
Yeah, he could've disappeared for three years to record a follow up for YZ, but I think he just wants to be right here right now.

It's been a fucking great ride from 2005 to this day.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1415 on: May 06, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »

This album is okay, I probably think it's worse than it actually is because Year Zero was an amazing album.  This isn't on that level but then it can't be expected to be.  For those hoping for a big Robin presence, he doesn't have a very big role.  On a lot of songs I didn't even notice whether he was playing or not.  This is a pretty good album but by NIN standards it's pretty ordinary
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1416 on: May 07, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »

The slip is great. YZ was nothing but noise.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1417 on: May 07, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »

Disagree, although some songs were too preachy, Year Zero had the best lyrics and content that Trent has written in years.  He talked about what's actually  going on in society instead of focusing on the individual which he mostly did before

Whereas the new songs are returning to old ground.  I don't need to hear a 40 year old Trent whose probably worth $10 million plus complaining about his depression anymore, he did it much more effectively 20 years ago when he was a broke revolutionary.  What I liked most about Year Zero was that his lyrical content had actually matured, and the music was (overall) more subtle but it was complex and focused at the same time
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1418 on: May 07, 2008, 02:25:34 AM »

Disagree, although some songs were too preachy, Year Zero had the best lyrics and content that Trent has written in years.  He talked about what's actually  going on in society instead of focusing on the individual which he mostly did before

Whereas the new songs are returning to old ground.  I don't need to hear a 40 year old Trent whose probably worth $10 million plus complaining about his depression anymore, he did it much more effectively 20 years ago when he was a broke revolutionary.  What I liked most about Year Zero was that his lyrical content had actually matured, and the music was (overall) more subtle but it was complex and focused at the same time
Money doesn't buy a person piece of mind. Some people struggle with life from the time they're born to the time of their death. Trent is one of these people. If it's from the heart that's all that matters to me. I really don't give a shit what some musician has to say politically, and neither did the music buying public.

I'm just glad he's back to the more personnel lyric.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:29:25 AM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1419 on: May 07, 2008, 02:38:53 AM »

Definitely not the greatest NIN cd ever but shit, its free, so to complain would be complete assholery

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: