Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2007 Season - Discuss it all here
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2007 Season - Discuss it all here  (Read 158603 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »

I wonder which 1st round pick because they have theirs and SanFran's.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2007, 09:31:21 PM »

I would assume whichever ones is higher?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »

I would assume whichever ones is higher?

I would assume it's NOT the one they receive from SF, but that's a guess.

Goodell coming down HARD!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2007, 09:45:18 PM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Roger Goodell kicks ass!

Is anybody else here surprised that nobody's been busted for this before?  Every friggin Sunday, I am watching some head coach or coordinator holding a laminated play book totally within view of the tv cameras.  Occasionally the cameras are so close you can see freaking nose hairs on the coach!  I can't believe Bill B. is alone on this one. 

Wow, is Sunday night's game gonna be huge or what?   beer 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Roger Goodell kicks ass!

Is anybody else here surprised that nobody's been busted for this before?? Every friggin Sunday, I am watching some head coach or coordinator holding a laminated play book totally within view of the tv cameras.? Occasionally the cameras are so close you can see freaking nose hairs on the coach!? I can't believe Bill B. is alone on this one.?

Wow, is Sunday night's game gonna be huge or what?? ?beer?
Absolutely, and I'll be there.  Can't wait.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »

It must be THEIR pick because it states that they lose a 1st IF they make the playoffs and a 2nd and 3rd if they miss the playoffs.  They can't really control what San Fran. does.  So I'd think they keep THAT 1st rounder and I'm going out on a limb here and saying they'll make the playoffs so they'll forfeit their own pick.  Was it worth it?  Probably not, but Bill obviously was willing to take the risk and I can't complain with too much that he's done with this team.  I think the Pats will be just fine.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »

I just keep wondering what Bob Kraft is thinking right now. He can't possibly be happy with his coach. He has cost his team a draft pick and the team a quarter of a million dollars.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2007, 10:14:47 PM »

I just keep wondering what Bob Kraft is thinking right now. He can't possibly be happy with his coach. He has cost his team a draft pick and the team a quarter of a million dollars.

It's his organization, not Belicheat's.  If this organization is what we're led to believe, then he was probably aware of what was going on. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2007, 10:15:07 PM »

He may be unhappy at the current moment, but all he has to do is look down at his hand and see those 3 enormous Super Bowl rings. ?I think that'll make him feel a bit better. ?I'm sure he'll learn to forgive Belichick.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »

It's his organization, not Belicheat's.? If this organization is what we're led to believe, then he was probably aware of what was going on.?
I don't think anyone's brought up the fact yet that this probably happened because Eric Mangini alerted the league that this might be going on.  It's fair to say that Bill hasn't been too kind to Mangini since he left for the Jets and since they can't beat the Pats on the field you might as well hit'em hard off the field.  Gamesmanship at its finest.  And again, the arrogance on the Patriots part to do this even after it was reported they did similar things against the Packers and Lions last season.  It's not like it was going completely unnoticed.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2007, 10:48:39 PM »

If the NFL takes their first rounder and not the SF pick then they still wind up with the better of the two picks, plus he has stock pilled picks again next year. While it blows to lose any picks (especially the way he drafts), they are still in really good shape.

As far as Kraft having a problem with this, he probably personaly bought the camera that was used (j/k)... But, he knows every move his club makes. I'm sure it wasn't a surprise. As far as the fine goes, the franchise is worth 1.199 Billion Dollars, so I don't think that 250k is much to worry about.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2007, 10:58:34 PM »

It's his organization, not Belicheat's.  If this organization is what we're led to believe, then he was probably aware of what was going on. 
I don't think anyone's brought up the fact yet that this probably happened because Eric Mangini alerted the league that this might be going on.  It's fair to say that Bill hasn't been too kind to Mangini since he left for the Jets and since they can't beat the Pats on the field you might as well hit'em hard off the field.  Gamesmanship at its finest.  And again, the arrogance on the Patriots part to do this even after it was reported they did similar things against the Packers and Lions last season.  It's not like it was going completely unnoticed.

We have though just last season in YOUR OWN stadium
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2007, 11:40:01 PM »

If the NFL takes their first rounder and not the SF pick then they still wind up with the better of the two picks, plus he has stock pilled picks again next year. While it blows to lose any picks (especially the way he drafts), they are still in really good shape.

As far as Kraft having a problem with this, he probably personaly bought the camera that was used (j/k)... But, he knows every move his club makes. I'm sure it wasn't a surprise. As far as the fine goes, the franchise is worth 1.199 Billion Dollars, so I don't think that 250k is much to worry about.
Yeah it is THEIR pick they lose, they still get San Fran's.  Hopefully they tank this year, they didn't look too impressive on Monday.  Losing a 1st round draft pick definitely stings but thankfully they traded for an extra one this year because they're gonna need it now.  And hopefully the pick they lose will be the 32nd overall and final selection of the 1st round, which of course goes to the Super Bowl winner.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2007, 07:22:33 AM »

great point by Faldor... beer...this happened during a game with Mangini, a former coach under Belichick.  You have to wonder if he debated in his mind "do I bust Bill because he has been a dick to me since I left the Pats? or do I keep quiet because I was on those super bowl teams and my past successes could be challenged..."  It makes ya think. 

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »

great point by Faldor... beer...this happened during a game with Mangini, a former coach under Belichick.  You have to wonder if he debated in his mind "do I bust Bill because he has been a dick to me since I left the Pats? or do I keep quiet because I was on those super bowl teams and my past successes could be challenged..."  It makes ya think. 

IMHO, Bill was being an arrogant SOB...and Mangini got pissed (and rightfully so, I think).

I think Mangini would have kept his mouth shut, had Bill shut down the operation for games involving him.  I mean...C'mon.  Eric knows what's going on.  Bill KNOWS Eric knows.  How arrogant is it to do it anyway, especially in light of the "ruling" (or whatever you want to call it) that Goodell handed down before the season started.

I expected the fines.  I expected the loss of picks, but honestly I thought it would be a 2nd and 5th round pick, not a possible 1st and if not a 2nd and 3rd.  That hurts.  As a bunch of you guys pointed out, it hurts LESS because they get San Frans pick....but it still hurts. 

I think Goodell did the right thing, though.  Given everything we know...he did exactly what he needed to do to send a message to the rest of the league and set a precedent.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2007, 08:33:48 AM »

great point by Faldor... beer...this happened during a game with Mangini, a former coach under Belichick.? You have to wonder if he debated in his mind "do I bust Bill because he has been a dick to me since I left the Pats? or do I keep quiet because I was on those super bowl teams and my past successes could be challenged..."? It makes ya think.?

IMHO, Bill was being an arrogant SOB...and Mangini got pissed (and rightfully so, I think).

I think Mangini would have kept his mouth shut, had Bill shut down the operation for games involving him.? I mean...C'mon.? Eric knows what's going on.? Bill KNOWS Eric knows.? How arrogant is it to do it anyway, especially in light of the "ruling" (or whatever you want to call it) that Goodell handed down before the season started.

I expected the fines.? I expected the loss of picks, but honestly I thought it would be a 2nd and 5th round pick, not a possible 1st and if not a 2nd and 3rd.? That hurts.? As a bunch of you guys pointed out, it hurts LESS because they get San Frans pick....but it still hurts.?

I think Goodell did the right thing, though.? Given everything we know...he did exactly what he needed to do to send a message to the rest of the league and set a precedent.
Makes you wonder too if Bill was a little more friendly and congratulatory towards Mangini after he left the franchise if this would've happened.  I don't think it's a coincidence this happened against the Jets.  It's possible Mangini feels slighted by Belichick (they haven't been the best of friends since he left), and this was a way to get back at him.  Also, the media types seem to think the Pats got off easy.  They think Bill should've been suspended a game or two.  Not sure if that would've had a HUGE impact.  Belichick could've still been involved in gameplanning and I'm sure his players would've rallied around him.  It would've tarnished his historical reputation a bit, but not much else. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2007, 11:05:04 AM »

Makes you wonder too if Bill was a little more friendly and congratulatory towards Mangini after he left the franchise if this would've happened.  I don't think it's a coincidence this happened against the Jets.  It's possible Mangini feels slighted by Belichick (they haven't been the best of friends since he left), and this was a way to get back at him.  Also, the media types seem to think the Pats got off easy.  They think Bill should've been suspended a game or two.  Not sure if that would've had a HUGE impact.  Belichick could've still been involved in gameplanning and I'm sure his players would've rallied around him.  It would've tarnished his historical reputation a bit, but not much else. 

I don't think Bill's attitude toward Mangini helped.

But I think, ultimately, the "whistle blowing" came down to this thought process from Mangini: "I know they do it to everyone else, but Bill knows I KNOW about it.  If he shows some restraint, and doesn't do it to us, I'll keep my mouth shut.  But I'm not going to stand by and watch him cheat against MY team".

I'm not endorsing what Bill did, but if he'd shown some restraint, he'd probably not have been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  To me, it looks like his ego overrode his brain.

I agree about the suspension.  It would have been a token act, at best....and wouldn't have had any real effect for exactly the reasons you mention.  He would have done everything but walk the sidelines on game day...and I don't see that as accomplishing much.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »

Yeah you're exactly right.? Bill's ego led to him being caught.? He's a GREAT coach, one of the best ever.? But he's also one stubborn son of a bitch.? If he wasn't coaching MY team I'd probably hate him.? He respects the game and his fellow coaches but he's also a workaholic.? He lives, eats, breathes, and sleeps football and will do anything to get ahead of the competition.? Regardless of what the risks are.? His "interpretation of the rules".? He knew damn well what he was doing was wrong, he just didn't care.? He's not gonna change his ways though, he'll continue to be ornery and unlikeable to anyone but his players and those close to him.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 05:11:49 PM by faldor » Logged

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2007, 12:42:16 AM »

In spite of the Belicheat scandal, I AM really looking forward to the Pats Bolts game, Sunday night.  This one will say a lot about how good the Pats really are (and I mean that in terms of offseason improvements, rather than in terms of how much their cheating helped them), and whether the Bolts are capable of competing at the highest level of the AFC (which is a code phrase, meaning "highest level of the NFL").

Hey, Sunday Night Football...it's a Madden call, right?  I predict he'll say this: "You see what the problem is, is that the Patriots, see, they were taping the other team which is, uh, which is against league policy.  And the reason it's against league policy is, is because you can use those tapes to, uh, to know what defensive scheme is being run on a given play.  And that's a problem because, see, if you know what the other team is going to do, what you can do, is to call a play that takes advantage of that defense, which will make it easier to score points, and that's important because the team that scores the most points is usually pretty likely to come away with a win."

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2007, 08:46:23 AM »

In spite of the Belicheat scandal, I AM really looking forward to the Pats Bolts game, Sunday night.  This one will say a lot about how good the Pats really are (and I mean that in terms of offseason improvements, rather than in terms of how much their cheating helped them), and whether the Bolts are capable of competing at the highest level of the AFC (which is a code phrase, meaning "highest level of the NFL").

Hey, Sunday Night Football...it's a Madden call, right?  I predict he'll say this: "You see what the problem is, is that the Patriots, see, they were taping the other team which is, uh, which is against league policy.  And the reason it's against league policy is, is because you can use those tapes to, uh, to know what defensive scheme is being run on a given play.  And that's a problem because, see, if you know what the other team is going to do, what you can do, is to call a play that takes advantage of that defense, which will make it easier to score points, and that's important because the team that scores the most points is usually pretty likely to come away with a win."

hahahahahah!  Priceless!  I've been telling friends for years how schlocky Madden's call of the game is.  Nobody points out the obvious better than Big John.  That said, I like the guy, he has a big like-ability factor and when I hear his voice, I know it's my time of the year, football season.  love

Plus, I get to watch my favorite wide receiver in the NFL play Sunday night.  Randy Moss, love him or hate him, (Vikes fan, I love him), he is one of the most graceful runners in the game.  His legs don't move a million miles an hour like Marvin Harrison and he isn't as strong as T.O., but damn if he doesn't glide like a gazelle!  (uh-oh, I'm completely straight and this sounds like a man-crush  hihi )

Collinsworth, Costas, Olberman...that's who I'm looking forward to.  Tiki and Jerome need to polish their skills. 

Will my Vikes go 2-0 at Detroit this week?  It won't be easy against that passing attack.   nervous

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: