Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How has Axl Rose (& GNR) changed your life?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How has Axl Rose (& GNR) changed your life?  (Read 6272 times)
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:51 PM »

There's been a lot of disappointment lately in the fan community.  And that's a shame to see -- for both the band and the fans.

So instead of complaining about the lack of this, or the cancellation of that, maybe it would be healthy for everyone to remember why we love Axl so much in the first place.  Maybe he'd like to get to read that.

I'll go first --

I was born and raised in a small conservative Southern town. Everybody was a bunch of Jesus-loving, fag-hating, Bible thumping, hypocrites. My parents didn't have a lot of money, but they really wanted us to get a good education. So they saved up and sent us to private elementary school -- which was full of rich assholes. Because I wore poor kid clothes and my parents drove shitty cars, I got picked on relentlessly.

But around the same time, AFD came out. I was already into rock by then -- mainly Poison and Bon Jovi -- but Axl and GNR was something entirely different. Poison and the other bands' image was built on conformity in one way or another... it was about this awesome rock scene in LA and how much fun they were having there. It was music about inclusion and fun.

But Axl had a chip on his shoulder like I did. He was pissed off at the world, neglected and rejected. AFD became my favorite album in no time. I couldn't sing for shit, but I did learn to play guitar (and still jam on a Les Paul to this day).

Rock and Roll (and in specific GNR) taught me that sometimes it's okay to say "Fuck the world." Sometimes you just gotta be yourself. After AFD, I totally embraced that philosophy. I embraced my own fucked up view of the world, whether or not anyone would get it. In doing so, I got into the arts as a form of self expression. Then I found out I was good at it. And because of that, I've had the chance to do some really cool things with my life.

So thanks Axl -- from one small town white boy to another.  You're capable of such amazing things!  We can't wait to see what you've got in store for us next.

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
Smokey
Headliner

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »

They turned me into a 'rocker'..... those bastards  Wink
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:36:18 PM »

I'm still alive...

madagas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »

wrong band dude.... hihi
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »

wrong band dude.... hihi

Well, I'm probably older than a lot of people on this board.  The old band spoke to me because I was the right age.  But Axl was the voice of that band, and the most important element in their success (even though I don't think Axl could have done it without the old guys either). 

Maybe there are some younger folks on here who've had a similar experience with the new band.  I'd be interested to hear it, actually.  I could see how a mad virtuoso like BucketHead or a technologically-minded computer musician like Pitman could speak to creative kids out there today.  Even the story of Axl Rose -- the world's last rock God, struggling against the odds to complete his personal opus -- could have affected someone deeply enough to turn them into a fan.

I'd be kinda interested to read that, actually.  I already know what it's like to fall for Axl because of AFD.  It's my life story, man.  But it'd be cool to see how these artists could have spoken to someone in an equally personal way, but for completely different reasons.

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »

wrong band dude.... hihi

Well, I'm probably older than a lot of people on this board.? The old band spoke to me because I was the right age.? But Axl was the voice of that band, and the most important element in their success (even though I don't think Axl could have done it without the old guys either).?

Maybe there are some younger folks on here who've had a similar experience with the new band.? I'd be interested to hear it, actually.? I could see how a mad virtuoso like BucketHead or a technologically-minded computer musician like Pitman could speak to creative kids out there today.? Even the story of Axl Rose -- the world's last rock God, struggling against the odds to complete his personal opus -- could have affected someone deeply enough to turn them into a fan.

I'd be kinda interested to read that, actually.? I already know what it's like to fall for Axl because of AFD.? It's my life story, man.? But it'd be cool to see how these artists could have spoken to someone in an equally personal way, but for completely different reasons.

I think madagas referred to Christos meaning "i'm still alive" is a line in a pearl jam song.. but maybe i'm wrong rofl
bigblue88112
Headliner

"All the way from California" -- 11/10/2006

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:56:39 PM »

They helped save me from the abomination that is modern music. ?Bad pop, bad hip-hop, and bad rock, etc. ?

GN'R has become something of a passion for me... I am posting on this board, after all! Grin

Democracy is coming:  November 23, 2008

"Then again, this is Guns N' Roses, where the laws of physics do not apply."
--Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
madagas
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »

correct on the Pearl Jam reference ok
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 03:19:03 PM »

wrong band dude.... hihi

Well, I'm probably older than a lot of people on this board.  The old band spoke to me because I was the right age.  But Axl was the voice of that band, and the most important element in their success (even though I don't think Axl could have done it without the old guys either). 

Maybe there are some younger folks on here who've had a similar experience with the new band.  I'd be interested to hear it, actually.  I could see how a mad virtuoso like BucketHead or a technologically-minded computer musician like Pitman could speak to creative kids out there today.  Even the story of Axl Rose -- the world's last rock God, struggling against the odds to complete his personal opus -- could have affected someone deeply enough to turn them into a fan.

I'd be kinda interested to read that, actually.  I already know what it's like to fall for Axl because of AFD.  It's my life story, man.  But it'd be cool to see how these artists could have spoken to someone in an equally personal way, but for completely different reasons.

I'll give you a short story of how I got into GNR about a year ago. My mom asked me to download Sweet Child O' Mine for her, and while I didn't like the song much at that time, I downloaded a few other tracks as well, namely WTTJ, PC and Nightrain.

After listening to them for a while, I thought it was a pretty damn fine collection of songs but a bit overhyped. I mean, I didn't think they were extraordinary in any way like other people seemed to think.

Then I started to search for some Youtube-videos of the band, and simultaneously educated myself on their history. I found out that Axl was the only member from their debut album left, and that a few demo tracks from the long-awaited, legendary Chinese Democracy had leaked in the spring.

But first, I watched Madagascar at Rock In Rio. First time I listened to it, I thought that it was horrendous. Surely this guy singing can't be the same one who is howlin in Nightrain, I thought. I listened to it one more time and it hit me as one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

I didn't care that the voice was high-pitched and sometimes out of tune, the second time I heard it, the song really connected with me on an emotional level, and none of the GNR-tracks I had downloaded earlier had done that.

I soon heard Better and There Was A Time, and was completely hooked. The new material was genius. I ignored my friends that said it "isn't GNR without Slash", well honestly I didn't care. Those demos, and just DEMOS, were something extraordinary for me. I remembered hearing Better for the first time, and suddenly there is a complete nu-metal break in the middle of it. Fantastic, I thought to myself. It's catchy, heavy and angry, all at once.

For me, the new songs go places the old ones never did. And I don't care if it's not a man with a top hat playing the guitar solos, that's a thing of the past.

What settled my passion for GNR was that Axl, even though an aging rockstar, still proved to have it in him, unlike all the washed-up has-beens that release worse and worse material as time goes by. I want to hear his vision now, and I don't care if it has taken him over 10 years.

Cause I know, in the end, it'll be worth it.

-DW

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 03:41:40 PM »

My mother was about 8 months pregnant when she decided to participate in annual "pregnant women and orphans united"-  buss tour.
Tragically though, the buss caught fire. When all hope seemed lost Axl Rose appeared and snake danced everyone to safety, thus saving my mother and me.
Thanks again for that Axl!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:50:22 PM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
bigblue88112
Headliner

"All the way from California" -- 11/10/2006

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 03:47:28 PM »

wrong band dude.... hihi

Well, I'm probably older than a lot of people on this board.? The old band spoke to me because I was the right age.? But Axl was the voice of that band, and the most important element in their success (even though I don't think Axl could have done it without the old guys either).?

Maybe there are some younger folks on here who've had a similar experience with the new band.? I'd be interested to hear it, actually.? I could see how a mad virtuoso like BucketHead or a technologically-minded computer musician like Pitman could speak to creative kids out there today.? Even the story of Axl Rose -- the world's last rock God, struggling against the odds to complete his personal opus -- could have affected someone deeply enough to turn them into a fan.

I'd be kinda interested to read that, actually.? I already know what it's like to fall for Axl because of AFD.? It's my life story, man.? But it'd be cool to see how these artists could have spoken to someone in an equally personal way, but for completely different reasons.

Being 19 I think I may be qualified to reply to your post.

Predictably my first exposure to GN'R was AFD. ?Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise City. ?At that point my interest in the band lied somewhere between casual and somewhat intense. ?Then came the 2002 VMAs. ?While I'm a huge fan of Axl, I have no problem admitting it was nowhere near his best night. ?And I was enough of a fan to know that backing Axl was a new cast of characters. ?But I was enamored by the BAND'S performance.

So that's when I started to delve into the entire discography as well as reading as much background information as I could find. ?I was amazed by the stories of Axl's over-the-top antics, performances, and entire story as the "world's last rock God", as you put it. ?The more I read, the more I became a fan of the old band and the new band, but particularly Axl. ?Discovering YouTube only helped to intensify my interest, as I could finally watch videos of both bands' performances and, of course, Axl's rants.

YouTube was the impetus for my connection to the new band. ?I am fan of the band's evolution from AFD to UYI. ?So I felt that these new songs that were being performed were only the continuation of this process, the natural progression of the complexity of the music. ?The leaks sealed it for me. ?I love pretty much all of them, but TWAT was the track that convinced me that Chinese Democracy might actually live up to the hype and might just give the music industry the proverbial "kick in the ass" it needs. ?The leaks, coupled with my appreciation for the entire GN'R catalogue, finally inspired me to actually go see them. ?Six months later, and I'm still in awe.

My dad had Ozzy, and I'm forever thankful that Axl has returned to provide me with a similar musical hero. ?I am convinced that Chinese Democracy is the most important album of this decade. ?So whenever Axl deems it ready, I will be there to sing its praises.  I will do my part to reintroduce Axl Rose to the world and prove to the doubters and critics that as long as Axl is there, GN'R is still GN'R.

Democracy is coming:  November 23, 2008

"Then again, this is Guns N' Roses, where the laws of physics do not apply."
--Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
anythinggoes
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 03:57:27 PM »

Well im not sure how they changed my life as i was always into rock music from a young age, one thing they have done for me recently is given me a reason t do some traveling like to Greece Dublin New York and Baltimore, plus a few places in the Uk.

See My problem is from age 9-10 i was into GNR im now coming on to 29 so its been a long time.

Also the music has helped me through some bad times, very bad times.

It also helped me through my paper rounds every morning
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 04:10:37 PM »

as a teenager listening to the music helped with the moodswings  hihi

other than that, I don't really know if they've changed my life though... it's just music in the end  Undecided *runs away from angry mob*  Wink

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 04:12:24 PM »

they made me start swearing at the age of 9, almost flunk out of school, get suspended countless times, arrested once well apprehended to be exact..drink heavily(thank you Slash).. and made me lose track of how many illegitimate kids I have running around.....yet i still rebounded to graduate college last week....thank you GNR....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:15:51 PM by DR. COX » Logged
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 04:42:19 PM »

gnr and axl making my life better

I have never seen so many tree
HungerForChaos
Rocker

Not Here Yesterday...

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »

Axl forgot to flush, so I put the shit in a jar full of water, sold it on Ebay and was then able to pay my rent long enough to find a decent job.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »

Somewhere around age 9 I first listened to GNR, delved into a life of delinquency and haven't looked back since.  I'd say it was a good decision.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:25 PM »

Somewhere around age 9 I first listened to GNR, delved into a life of delinquency and haven't looked back since.  I'd say it was a good decision.

Whats sick and fucked up about that is someone would pay a ton for that shit!

Anyways on topic, GnR have always been with me since the age of 7. From every up and down in my life I always had GnR blaring on my stereo taking me thru the ups and downs. Hell in 2nd grade we had dress up as your hero day, some kids were dressed as astronauts, super heroes and etc I dressed as Axl. My teacher was shocked that a rock star was my hero at a young age I still remember her face as I was giving my report on how I wanted to be a rock star. I can proudly say I have been a fan from the very begging and I have never stopped listening to GnR. I guess the band has not influenced me on the way I live my life  but rather has grown up with me with their music.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »

What can I say? They gave me good music, that's for sure. Some of the best I've ever heard. Some of the best live shows I've ever been to. You can't really ask for more from a band. The music's been with me though good times... through bad times. It's in the bad times that, if something can speak to you, a piece of art, and alleviate some of that pain or those feelings, that's when it becomes something very special. Guns N' Roses is that for me. When I was a little kid, Axl Rose embodied everything cool to me. Going to school when the Illusions came out, he was like the essence of badass. Axl as a persona, as a sort of role model to a kid, taught me not to put up with bullshit. Me and my friends came up with this phrase in school, WWAD (What Would Axl Do?). If you were having a bad breakup, what would Axl do? Then it was time to say "Fuck off, bitch," and move on. His is a character of integrity when all others were whiney dope addict losers who attained infamy by blowing their own heads off. I got into Guns because I loved the music, and that's just what you did at the time. Once upon a time it was really cool to like this band. But they meant something to me, and they've stayed with me. I'll be a fan of Guns until the end.
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »

eerrrrmmmmm well.

my missus tells poeple that there's 3 poeple in our relationship.

Me
Her
and Axl Rose

that says it all ?Tongue

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: