Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 11:37:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228136 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Gay or Straight?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gay or Straight?  (Read 13291 times)
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »

Missing my point. I didn't say that gay couples don't make good parents or that they couldn't adopt one or have one through a surrogate. My point was in opposition to the claim that sexual orientation is in one's genes and that it is decided by nature. The fact that some gay people say "I can't help being this way, I was born to be gay"  (Anne Heche comes to mind) is pure BS IMO. Being gay or not, is influenced by circumstance and somebody's personal choice.

Yeah the Anne Heche argument is a great one, seeing as the first recorded incidence of homosexuality was in Hollywood sometime in the 80s. There's absolutely no record of homosexuality in every culture throughout history.

Anyone here want to seriously claim that they chose to be straight?

excellent point.

As far as choosing to be gay or not, there are examples in the animal kingdom of homosexuality.  Ex, the gay penguins in the NYC zoo.  Its totally genetic.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »

the gay penguins in the NYC zoo

Did they get a little too close to Greenwich Village?

All kidding aside, I think it's genetic.  It's believed that somewhere between 5 and 20 percent of the world's population is gay.  Going on a typical Mendelian theory of heredity with only one variable (Tt crossed with Tt makes TT, Tt, Tt, and tt), if homosexuality is a recessive trait, then approximately 25% of the world would be gay.  Going on the Mendelian theory with two variables creating homosexuality, then it's only 6.25% gay.  But what I believe it to be is a system of co-dominance among multiple traits that would essentially create a "continuum of sexuality," the Kinsey scale essentially, where everyone is somewhere between 1 (exclusively straight) and 10 (exclusively gay) for example.

Going on a mendelian square of only two variables, here's how it would work out, approximately.

Exclusively straight: 6.25%
More straight than gay: 25%
Evenly bisexual: 37.5%
More gay than straight: 25%
Exclusively gay: 6.25%

Anyways, enough of my scientific explanations.  I think it's largely nature over nurture.  It seems a little high, but hey, who knows how many "straight" people are closeted gays either forced to cover up because of the stigma attached to homosexuality or forced to cover it up on moral/religious grounds (e.g., the militaristic father in the movie American Beauty)?  We don't know.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »

It's choice.
It's not a choice, you're either born a homosexual or you're not.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 06:10:16 PM »

every time i see or hear about gays i think of that shirt that Bazz wore in the 80s "AIDS KILLS FAGGOTS DEAD" rofl thats just funny to me. Sorry it just is. Like something you'd see on south park ya know?

i say turn or burn ........in hell.

But really i don't care.  peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
SLCPUNK
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 11:50:58 PM »

Ever seen anybody die of AIDS? I knew (give or take) about ten guys who died of it in the early 90's.

Ugly.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 01:05:22 AM »

Ever seen anybody die of AIDS? I knew (give or take) about ten guys who died of it in the early 90's.

Ugly.

no doubt man ......no doubt its an ugly disease, but i just thought that shirt was kinda funny.

how'd they get it? dirty needels or sexual?

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
SLCPUNK
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »

They were all gay men for the most part, one woman.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 02:34:31 AM »

there is something else that factors into who we are.
Soul?

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 08:47:09 AM »

Like most things in life it's a complex relationship between nature and nurture.  What's most important when it comes to this age-old debate is what we can gain from the discussion.  For the vast majority of moral conservatives who deny the nature component of the equation, I feel sorry for them.  Scientific study after scientific study prove there is a genetic component involved.  It's 2007 and the faith-based fear-mongerers are alive and strong.   Sad

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpsRRJ2308o

i love that song
the dirt
Princess
Legend

A hair's breadth!!

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 06:32:25 PM »

Ugly.

That's quite a bit for the average person to see in a short time frame. Where were you hanging out?

The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 12:33:04 AM »

Ugly.

That's quite a bit for the average person to see in a short time frame. Where were you hanging out?

South Tampa which has a high population of gay men. 
GeraldFord
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 12:38:42 AM »

Watching two women having sex makes me pop a major woody--does that mean I'm part gay? I'd love to be a woman so I could rub my face in the bare naked buttocks of another woman for 12 hours.
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »

Watching two women having sex makes me pop a major woody--does that mean I'm part gay? I'd love to be a woman so I could rub my face in the bare naked buttocks of another woman for 12 hours.

Agreed.  Going on my theory, that would put a person somewhere in the "more straight than gay category," but more toward the straighter end of the continuum.  If that makes any sense.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Surfrider
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »

Ugly.

South Tampa which has a high population of gay men.?
For someone with so many gay friends, I am rather surprised that you used the most offensive term for gays in one of your most recent posts.

Moore that is. Heston rules.

Heston is a fag.
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »

i am certain there is a proportion of homosexuals who are because of childhood emotionnal hurt and fearing the other sex or disliking the other sex.

I have enough examples in my personal life of people who like their own gender for emotionnal security and who have sex with their own gender rather than seeing a shrink to deal with why their mother was a controlling bitch or why their father was a sick bastard.

I also know paris has very well known streets where gay meet and if you look at them closely, half of them have wedding bands and you can hear some of them call their wifes from there telling them they have a meeting at 5 pm when they are really appointing a penis in a backroom.

Is this genetic ? not to me.

One of my best friends is gay and gay for everyone to see, never lied, never hurt never nothing but being attracted to men since childhood.

I do think REAL gays whatever the gender are pretty rare actually.

Nothing to say
Lolita
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »

I have met/ heard about guys who had turned gay seemingly? because of abusive mothers... So, yeah, there may be an original trauma. But it could also be a total coincidence and we'd like to say it's someone else's? fault because we feel powerless when we face something/someone different. We'd like to explain but there may not be any explanation and we should accept things the way? they are.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 12:14:56 PM »

i'm straight,but i haven't anything against gay population,but i can not understand how can two biys can make love.

i think they have butt sex.

Tactful as always.  rofl

Like most things in life it's a complex relationship between nature and nurture.  What's most important when it comes to this age-old debate is what we can gain from the discussion.  For the vast majority of moral conservatives who deny the nature component of the equation, I feel sorry for them.  Scientific study after scientific study prove there is a genetic component involved.  It's 2007 and the faith-based fear-mongerers are alive and strong.   Sad

What are you, fuckin' loony?  Don't you know you have to choose a side? 

Seriously, though, it's both, to some extent.  Nature is the best explanation for those who truly are attracted to one gender more than the other, but I think environment is a better explanation for large scale societal shifts.  For example, the ancient Greeks were notoriously lascivious and seemed to be less concerned about gender than many other societies.  Of course, this could also act as evidence that many more of us than expected are bisexual, though we restrict our own behavior, consciously or not.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 01:34:17 PM »

For someone with so many gay friends, I am rather surprised that you used the most offensive term for gays in one of your most recent posts.

I didn't say I had a high amount of gay friends, but lived in an area that had plenty of gay men (although I do have a gay friend or two, most of us do, if we know it or not.) Most trendy areas have a high proportion of homosexuals-and during that time I lived in a trendy area as many young people do.

Heston is a fag, and I don't feel bad saying that because he's an asshole, not a homosexual. Of course you missed my obvious sarcasm, since Heston is a chest beating, gun waiving moron, calling him a "fag" is the ultimate insult and polar opposite of who he is and what he stands for. Anybody with a brain could see he clearly isn't gay, nor was it meant as a slam against gays.

You can also be rest assured, if I did call Heston a fag in front any of my gay friends they'd laugh their ass off.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 01:54:51 PM by SLCPUNK » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »

i am certain there is a proportion of homosexuals who are because of childhood emotionnal hurt and fearing the other sex or disliking the other sex.

I have enough examples in my personal life of people who like their own gender for emotionnal security and who have sex with their own gender rather than seeing a shrink to deal with why their mother was a controlling bitch or why their father was a sick bastard.

I also know paris has very well known streets where gay meet and if you look at them closely, half of them have wedding bands and you can hear some of them call their wifes from there telling them they have a meeting at 5 pm when they are really appointing a penis in a backroom.

Is this genetic ? not to me.

One of my best friends is gay and gay for everyone to see, never lied, never hurt never nothing but being attracted to men since childhood.

I do think REAL gays whatever the gender are pretty rare actually.

Science disagrees with you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: