Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Alright, This Has been Something That Has Really Been Bothering Me About Slash
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alright, This Has been Something That Has Really Been Bothering Me About Slash  (Read 19957 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 11:54:54 PM »

I look at it like this *Sorry Falcon but I have to say this*

Without Slash, Axl's babies *NR and Estranged* would be nowhere as good and without Axl, Slash's babies *Coma,Locomotive,SCOM* wouldnt be anywhere as good.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 10:41:46 AM »

But, there is a reason why Slash isn't seen by the majority of music aficionados as being among the greats. I would put Slash above most people in the Top 100 Guitar Players Of All Time Lists, but most don't have him anywhere near the the top.

Wow, then we see different lists.

And as far as I know one of the top guitar magazines (or its readers) ranked the often criticized Contraband as the guitar album of 2004.

Dude seriously google it. Google "greatest guitar players of all time" and look how many lists there is from the most well known sources. Slash is either really far down the lists, or isn't on it at all! I love Slash so don't take this the wrong way.

I understand your point, but I'm one of the few (well, onw million) poeple who think that the first Snakepit album is one of the greatest guitar albums of all time. And even the second was a great one BTW. But... here In Hungary we have a 'heavy metal' magazine, called Metal Hammer World. It had a 'readers' poll' of 2006... in every cathegory. Slash was in like the 4th favourite guitar players, or the 7th, I don't remember... my point is.. he's well respected. I agree he could've achived more after GN'R... but look at Jimmy Page.. he's like nothing since Led Zep.. so I think Slash's doing great... in overall.

Page is probably the closest to Slash's position (Even though Page is always making these lists). Both haven't created a record that is just them showing their shit and making awesome music showcasing their abilities. And regarding the Snakepit albums... the fucker who sings on the first one, I found to be unlistenable. Just annoyed the crap out of me. Literally. Diarrhea came out of my ass.

I would love nothing more then Slash just making an instrumental album like all the greats do. Slash buddy, I don't ask for much. Please do this.

I am sorry to say that Slash is actually playing it very safe. He will never have to take sole responsibility for the music he appears on. VR produce a shit record (Just saying hypothetically), well... its not all Slash's fault. Snakepit sucked ... yea that singer fucking ruined it. Not all Slash's fault. How about this? Chinese Democracy is underwhelming you say? Well yea ... that would actually be all Axl's fault.

Maybe Slash should step it up and not play things so safe. If he does what he does best the accolades would be huge.

Remember this. With great risks come even greater rewards. You will see what will happen to Axl if CD is a masterpiece.

Slash should come of of this cushion bubble and take a chance. He is certainly good enough.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 10:49:16 AM »

I dont think slash has the capacity to sit and dwell on something...he goes and records it and releases it then tours then records more. there is no way in hell that he would sit and sit on material like Axl does part of the reason why he left in the first place i think

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 12:21:03 PM »

I dont think slash has the capacity to sit and dwell on something...he goes and records it and releases it then tours then records more. there is no way in hell that he would sit and sit on material like Axl does part of the reason why he left in the first place i think

That's not the main point. I agree with Buddha that Contraband was generic and repetitive, the same riff over the whole song. I didn't understand and didn't like that since Slash's post-GN'R stuff ( the two Snakepit albums) wasn't repetitive, there were plenty of music ideas in each songs.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

I look at it like this *Sorry Falcon but I have to say this*

Without Slash, Axl's babies *NR and Estranged* would be nowhere as good and without Axl, Slash's babies *Coma,Locomotive,SCOM* wouldnt be anywhere as good.

And Axl had to make Slash work on NR and Estranged.....

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nobody else has written that kind of songs after they left the band?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »

I am going to pose this question. Multiple Choice.

What album would you like Slash to take on next?

a) Velvet Revolver III

b) The Slash Experience (whatever name kind of representing that). A Rock/Blues album that is emotionally charged. Signature Slash. Featuring Slash on lead and front and center, blah blah blah on drum, blah blah blah on rhythm, and blah blah blah on bass. Maybe some tracks with vocals (around 3 tops), featuring guest singers.

(So curious on the answers)

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »

Option b) all the way. drool

Of course, then return to VR.

Fuck 'Em All.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 01:07:43 PM »

Option (b) all the way  drool

Of course, then another new option (b), and another, and another.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 01:23:14 PM »

(b), although i'd very much like it if he chose mr izzy stradlin on rhythm guitar. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »

option B but have guest vocalists on every track...like Santana did there a few years ago...that would rule... drool

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nobody else has written that kind of songs after they left the band?

In the same vain do you think that it is a coincidence then that Axl himself hasn't written an epic to that level either since Slash has been gone? Are you willing to concede that having superior material to pull from made Axl's job a little easier in finishing the songs as evidence by the fact he hasn't been provided with that same level of material to ever deem a song finished to then release to the public?

That argument cuts both ways.

The big schism it appears among GNR fans is that no one can seem to agree on the chicken or the egg argument. Like SCOM for example, was it Axl's brilliance that let's him realize something is great or was it Slash's brilliance to even have that kind of talent to come up with such an epic opening riff? Depending on where you come down on the ability to create vs. ability to realize side of the argument is probably who's side your going to think is more vital.

All the while missing the point that when you can match up 2 people who have a superior ear for something with someone who has a superior talent for creating epic guitar noises you get a pretty decent band. Saying one is more vital than the other is retarded because when you have 2 guys that are the best at something, sticking them individually with someone else not at that level will naturally never produce previous results.

No one can deny it is more than coincidence that neither have made a better song without the other than they did when they were with eachother. To truly reach their musical potential they have/will always need eachother.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:44:35 PM by Naupis » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 01:48:48 PM »

In the same vain do you think that it is a coincidence then that Axl himself hasn't written an epic to that level either since Slash has been gone? Are you willing to concede that having superior material to pull from made Axl's job a little easier in finishing the songs as evidence by the fact he hasn't been provided with that same level of material to ever deem a song finished to then release to the public?

* Please see TWAT, Madagascar, the Blues.

Now that you have been so completely owned, don't take this thread off course. Answer the question or respond to the main discussion or post somewhere else.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »

Now that you have been so completely owned, don't take this thread off course. Answer the question or respond to the main discussion or post somewhere else.

You are confusing the act of trying to make an epic with that of producing an epic.

Put a random sample of 100 people in a room and play those 3 against NR and Estranged. You tell me which grouping if they could only choose one of the two is going to do better.

Those are by far my favorite of the 3 new songs, I am just saying that they are not reaching the potential Axl has shown in those other 2 previous epics.

Now that you have been owned we can proceed with this thread.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »

So you've heard everything Axl has written in the past 10 years? I don't think you can assume he hasn't written songs like those because slash ins't there. For all you know he might have quite a few epic songs under his belt that he doesn't want the world to hear until the album is released. On the other hand we know Slash hasn't done anything like NR or Estranged since, because he has put out several albums of sub-par songs. If he would have written songs as good as those don't you think he would have released them on one of his crappy albums?
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:58 PM »

Naupis

Lol.

I actually think you would be very surprised by the results your little case study would have. Comparing 3 masterpieces to 2 of them. That's a good idea.

Now we can proceed with this thread.

don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 02:25:09 PM »

Owned?  Ha.
Opinion.  None of those songs come close to Estranged or NR in MY opinion, and clearly the opinion of others around here.  I guess we'll have to wait until CD is released to gauge general opinion, but i can't imagine they'll catch in the same way. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »

So you've heard everything Axl has written in the past 10 years?

if its not out then it doesnt count....since technically it doesnt exist

regardless some peopel would beg to differ that NR and Estranged are even his best works...besides madagascar and blues dont even come close to NR and estranged anyway. TWAT is a great song but at the same time I could never see slash writing it. nor could i see Robin writing estranged hihi apples and oranges to compare the 2 really.

As for the quality of slashs stuff post GnR...there are some real great tracks that he did....Dime Store Rock and Beggars and Hangers On are amazing...and Cure Me OR Kill Me and Tiquana Jail from Gilby's pawnshop guitars are fucking fantastic. SLither and Pall To Peices are great tracks that he did as well... I mean there are loads more just picking a few

depends what you want to hear i suppose....but just cuz someone may think its shit doesnt mean that it is...music is very relative...and if you think Slash reached his guitar god status just cuz of GnR you're kidding yourself, sure it was a major part, but he has pretty much consistantly released quality music since he left GnR....what 4-5 albums plus many one offs and stuff....again if you dont like his things then ah well not much i can do to convince you to like it, but i've pretty much loved his guitar work on everythign i have heard him play on.

Besides what the fuck are we justifying Slash's post GnR work to Axl's work after Slash left for? Granted Axl brought alot of great tracks out of slash but Axl never told him how to play shit....he just pointed out his favorite things that slash came across when he did them. SOme of you act like Axl wrote the music for slash to play Roll Eyes

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »

Put a random sample of 100 people in a room and play those 3 against NR and Estranged. You tell me which grouping if they could only choose one of the two is going to do better.

Let's propose a fair comparison: let's put a random sample of 100 people in a room and play those 3 UNFINISHED DEMOS  against UNFINISHED DEMOS of NR and Estranged. I got unfinished versions of NR and Estranged, give me a shout if you want 'em.

The fact you're proposing a comparison between unfinished versions in lossy format and finished versions with 16 years of airplay means that you are really impressed with the new songs.

Nobody pays attention to this little detail: some people think that some of these new demos are masterpieces (TWAT, Madagascar, The Blues, CD), other people think these demos are good but not at the same level than THE BEST Guns N' Roses [finished] songs EVER (Estranged, November Rain)

And another detail that needs to be recognised is the fact that Madagascar, The Blues, CD, TWAT, Estranged and November Rain are ALL OF THEM Axl Rose's songs, all of them are Guns N' Roses songs, but some people tries to make us believe that Madasgascar, CD, TB and TWAT are from a totally different band than songs like NR and Estranged. And that's is simply not true. Just because Slash doesnt play guitar on them.

All these songs are great songs, all of them were written by the Guns N' Roses leader, under the Guns N' Roses name...so, what are we discussing?

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 02:39:03 PM »

All these songs are great songs, all of them were written by the Guns N' Roses leader, under the Guns N' Roses name...so, what are we discussing?

so you're telling me axl composed the entire songs of NR and Estranged? gimme a break Axl even said in the Making of videos himself that he thanks slash sincerely for the amazing work Slash did to make those songs what they are and to bring them to another level...

Both Slash and Axl were integral to the greatness that GnR was back then...anybody who thinks Axl was the one carrying the band then you need to give your heads a shake

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »

A comment was made about Slash needing Axl to push him to reach his full potential. Others have retorted that Axl has suffered the same fate since Slash left him, claiming that Axl's ballads without Slash on them are not as good as the ones with Slash on them. It is the exact same claim that the previous poster made about Slash needing Axl to push him into making epic music.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: