Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 09:45:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Alright, This Has been Something That Has Really Been Bothering Me About Slash
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alright, This Has been Something That Has Really Been Bothering Me About Slash  (Read 19958 times)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2007, 02:55:17 PM »

All these songs are great songs, all of them were written by the Guns N' Roses leader, under the Guns N' Roses name...so, what are we discussing?

so you're telling me axl composed the entire songs of NR and Estranged? gimme a break Axl even said in the Making of videos himself that he thanks slash sincerely for the amazing work Slash did to make those songs what they are and to bring them to another level...

Both Slash and Axl were integral to the greatness that GnR was back then...anybody who thinks Axl was the one carrying the band then you need to give your heads a shake

Axl replaced Slash, and he keeps making epic songs, with killer guitar melodies and solos.

Where are the ''November Rains'' in the Slash catalogue after losing Axl?

Axl needs a good guitarist to make his songs shine. That kind of guitarist is not an endangered species. And everybody knows that Robin, Richard and Ron (and Buckethead) are a lot more than ''good'' guitarists.

I don't know what Slash currently needs to be the extraordinarily creative guitarist he used to be in GNR. But Weiland is not enough, Eric Dover is not enough, Paulina Rubio is not enough. It's gonna be a tough mission for him to find an ''Axl Rose alternative''

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »

I didnt start listening to GnR for piano epics Tongue and i did list some great tracks he's done since he left GnR peace

how many guitars has axl had in gnr since Slash left (10?)? and how many singers has Slash had for his bands (3)? looks like slash should get a few more cracks at singers before you pass judgement hihi

Axl replaced Slash, and he keeps making epic songs, with killer guitar melodies and solos.

matter of taste really....besides I thought we werent allowed to talk about those songs hihi graet songs that have never been released Roll Eyes

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »

Man... I just wanted to talk Slash. Created a topic that was pretty specific too.

So what the are you guys talking about?

GN'R Geeks (I mean let's be honest here... we are GEEKS! about as Geeky as any Star Trek/Wars Geek).

Anyway Geeks arguing facts that all the other geeks know, but want to act like they are the only geek who knows these facts, are fucking hilarious. We are all Geeks, and we all know the story. Can we fucking move on now ya geeks?!

estebanf

Slash should make another big mark and make an album like I was suggesting. Like All the greats have done but for some reason Slash is avoiding doing. I think its becoming an issue of balls.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 03:15:14 PM »

Slash should make another big mark and make an album like I was suggesting. Like All the greats have done but for some reason Slash is avoiding doing. I think its becoming an issue of balls.

thank you Buddha! haha, back on topic, i think slash should

write a solo album but have different guest vocalists on every track...like Santana did there a few years ago...that would rule... drool

i dunno though i think slash thrives better in a band setting than with all the spotlight on himself...i think he needs to share the spotlight..i dont think he's the type to be the centre of attention all the time, all the time

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 03:25:51 PM »

write a solo album but have different guest vocalists on every track...like Santana did there a few years ago...that would rule... drool

i dunno though i think slash thrives better in a band setting than with all the spotlight on himself...i think he needs to share the spotlight..i dont think he's the type to be the centre of attention all the time, all the time

hihi talk about schizophrenia
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »

I agree with you Buddha.  It sounds like Slash is either holding back in an effort to cater to Weiland's ego and avoid upstaging him, or just isn't trying all that hard.  Let's not kid ourselves here.  This guitarwork he's done on the VR albums is well below what he's capable of. 

Weiland, especially at this point in his career, would get outdone and overpowered by Slash going full throttle with his guitar.  Maybe Slash is keeping that in mind.  Or maybe he's just content at this stage of his career to do what comes easy to him, sell records, make money, and enjoy himself without pushing himself.   Also, having a rhythm player who doesn't do anything doesn't help either but that's another topic.  Everyone knows Slash can do better than just make disposable rock songs like SBQM.  The guy has written classic riffs that people still recognize instantly 20 years later.  His stuff with VR is way too anonymous, with some exceptions.  Like Superhuman is a vintage Slash riff.  But overall this stuff is way too plain
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »

Yea that's the only thing. But he did do that commercial with nothing but him (that car stereo system one). That was cool. That's thing with Slash. He is so fucking right there. You know what I'm saying? He is so close to achieving the same level of greatness of the ones we talked about earlier.

I don't like the sound of solo album for Slash either. He is bigger then VR. And to almost hide in the shadows, at this point, is a damn shame. He is his own business. His name is that recognizable. Slash could be making these all encompassing badass Rock Bluesy Slash albums. Enough with just being the lead guitarist in a band with the one singer. Go fucking out and make the album Slash should have got the clue to make long ago. Go now while Slash is still current.

But maybe my man Neemo is right. Slash might not have it in him. That "It" that makes Hendrix, Duane Allman, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck, Santana, Clapton, and so on... rank among the "greatest guitar players of all time." I, to reiterate, think he is among the greatest. But he is not to the general public (as discussed earlier).

Oh... and unfortunately, a big fat "YUP" to ShotgunBlues1978
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:52:29 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »

Hey Buddha!  How's it goin' man?

I was thinking about the very subject myself.  I like to go back to my high school every now and then and shoot the breeze with my AP Euro teacher.  He's in his 50's, he's seen it all when it comes to rock n' roll.

The thing that bothers me is that he says Slash is an "average" guitarist.  Clearly, that isn't the case.  But Slash doesn't get the respect he deserves.  Especially from the "old school" crowd that HAVE seen those other guitarists. (Clapton, Page, Hendrix, etc...)

We can all agree that his best work was with Guns, yes?  So why in the world are people so keen to put down his guitarwork on those albums?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2007, 04:02:13 PM »

He just needs someone to keep him focused, otherwise he just does it and moves on.

As for ranking up there with all the greats i think he does...even in the media....maybe to himself though he doesnt have that "I'm as good as hendrix" (or whoever) attitude Undecided i know that him and Duff did all they could way back in the 90's at gnr's height, to say that GnR werent even close to the stones or zeppelin. When they undoubtably had some serious magic goin on

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2007, 04:21:05 PM »

What's up Garry!  smoking

"As for ranking up there with all the greats i think he does...even in the media....maybe to himself though he doesnt have that "I'm as good as hendrix" (or whoever) attitude"

Again type in "greatest guitar player of all time" and see all the top 100 lists that come up from some of the largest most respected sources in the industry. Slash is either not on them, or is just really, really far down on them. He just needs to come out and make the kind of record I am talking about. The kind of record all the "Greats" have made, and continue to make. The rest will fall into place.

Its like the true Boxing champions. Every great boxer has one last great fight in him. Slash has it in him to do this. He just needs to want to.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2007, 04:41:31 PM »

I look at it like this *Sorry Falcon but I have to say this*

Without Slash, Axl's babies *NR and Estranged* would be nowhere as good and without Axl, Slash's babies *Coma,Locomotive,SCOM* wouldnt be anywhere as good.

And Axl had to make Slash work on NR and Estranged.....

Do you really think it's a coincidence that nobody else has written that kind of songs after they left the band?

/jarmo

I absolutely agree with u 100 percent. I definitely think Axl got the very best out of Slash. I have always stated that but U also have to use the flip side. Axl spoke in an interview of how hard doing "Coma" was, so one can also say that Slash was able to get the very best out of Axl also.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2007, 04:45:34 PM »

* Please see TWAT, Madagascar, the Blues.

Now that you have been so completely owned, don't take this thread off course. Answer the question or respond to the main discussion or post somewhere else.

Put a random sample of 100 people in a room and play those 3 against NR and Estranged. You tell me which grouping if they could only choose one of the two is going to do better.

Let's propose a fair comparison: let's put a random sample of 100 people in a room and play those 3 UNFINISHED DEMOS? against UNFINISHED DEMOS of NR and Estranged. I got unfinished versions of NR and Estranged, give me a shout if you want 'em.

The fact you're proposing a comparison between unfinished versions in lossy format and finished versions with 16 years of airplay means that you are really impressed with the new songs.

Nobody pays attention to this little detail: some people think that some of these new demos are masterpieces (TWAT, Madagascar, The Blues, CD), other people think these demos are good but not at the same level than THE BEST Guns N' Roses [finished] songs EVER (Estranged, November Rain)

And another detail that needs to be recognised is the fact that Madagascar, The Blues, CD, TWAT, Estranged and November Rain are ALL OF THEM Axl Rose's songs, all of them are Guns N' Roses songs, but some people tries to make us believe that Madasgascar, CD, TB and TWAT are from a totally different band than songs like NR and Estranged. And that's is simply not true. Just because Slash doesnt play guitar on them.

All these songs are great songs, all of them were written by the Guns N' Roses leader, under the Guns N' Roses name...so, what are we discussing?

Yeah but the Demos get the new treatment also.

For instance I absolutely hate WTTJ,PC, Hell even Livin On A Prayer,Under The Bridge, You give Love A Bad Name, Give It Away etc etc etc cause after almost 2 decades I have absolutely worn those songs out, have listened to them till I almost despise them.

The Demos are new so when u hear something new u immediately get that great Love feeling but time will tell how well they stand up.  Madagascar definitely does cause in 6 years I have yet to tire of it. Some of the other ones for me havent worked out so well cause Better,TWAT,IRS,CD, The Blues I am burnt out on already.

Same with Contraband. it still is good but to me it really isnt an album Im gonna be listening to in 5 years.

I think SBQM is WAYYYYYYYY better than Slither and most of everything else off Contraband. Scott's lyrics arent the best but man that song fucking rocks. ok

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 04:51:54 PM »

Why D? Why are you going here man? Do you have an opinion about the topic or not. If not ... Peace.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »

Why D? Why are you going here man? Do you have an opinion about the topic or not. If not ... Peace.

Huh?

We are speaking of Slash right? I am answering people's questions about Slash.

Dont ever tell me to Peace out of anything. U dont Run this thread and dont single me out in one either cause I am adding to a discussion thats already being talked about.

If u dont like it, delete it? or stop reading.

Maybe u should ac tually read the posts I am responding to, that helps u know..... ok

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »

I am talking one specific thing regarding Slash. I created this thread to talk about this one particular subject about Slash. Not Dead Horse subjects that were brought up that you are responding to and after this all got back on track anyway.

Peace out, later, have a good one, take it easy, take care, sianara, god speed, bah bye, asta la vista, see ya.  peace
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:18:39 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2007, 05:16:38 PM »

I think SBQM is WAYYYYYYYY better than Slither and most of everything else off Contraband. Scott's lyrics arent the best but man that song fucking rocks. ok

To be fair...Isn't this the same "Love feeling" talking....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »

^
No cause I was never that huge of a fan of Slither to be honest.

When I got CB I didnt keep Slither on repeat like I do SBQM.

Slither was a good song but I never held in great regards.

SBQM I cant get enough of.

Here is an example:

I held a Bon Jovi song survivor on a Bon Jovi forum

All the all time classics got voted off before some of the newer songs.

Why? cause everyone was sick to death of them and the new songs were fresh and just being experienced.

Thats why i say everyone needs to hold off comparing the Demos to songs we've listened to for 20 years. Of Course we are gonna be excited hearing what we've been anticipating all these years and that anticipation and excitement leads to overexaggerating and overrating things a bit.

So we gotta see how it all plays out over the next couple of years. thats when u can make a true comparison.

I can compare Madagascar cause 6 years it holds strong. however after not even a year I am sick of Better, TWAT,IRS etc.

I am not sick of The Blues from RIR3 but I hate every version from 2002 till now which is strange.

ON TOPIC so Buddha doesnt put me in another timeout hihi

Slash doesnt in my opinion sit down to create legendary solos/riffs anymore. I think he can if channelled and properly coached but I think he is happy writing good rocking riffs, one or two take solos and that be that.

That is why in my opinion they didnt work with Rick Rubin. Rubin is a taskmasker type producer that makes u expand your horizons and push your boundaries to create amazing unique music. take Stadium Arcadium by the Chili's for example.

So it isnt that SLash automatically forgot or no longer has the skill to, he just realizes now he can make good rock music without having to really push himself and to put himself through the ringer.

So Slash compared to Slash isnt at the level he should be but he is still a level above almost everyone else and for me thats good enough for now. ok
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:32:46 PM by D » Logged

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2007, 05:42:35 PM »

So now D.... Answer the question posted a page back.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »

What question?

I'll answer anything but stop with the Da Vinci Code shit. Just tell me what the question was.

Part of what has hurt Slash was GNR disbanning the way they did.

Had GNR stayed a constant force, he would be higher on people's list.

Most of the time I think he is just oversighted cause although he won't make a list, he will have 2 or 3 songs in the top whatever greatest solos or riffs ever categories.

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2007, 04:28:41 AM »

What question?

I'll answer anything but stop with the Da Vinci Code shit. Just tell me what the question was.

This coming from the dude who said

Maybe u should ac tually read the posts

Hook line sinker. I knew you'd walk into that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: