Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 07:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Queen teases Bush over date gaffe
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Queen teases Bush over date gaffe  (Read 4197 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: May 09, 2007, 03:46:04 AM »

The Queen has made a joke about US President George Bush's gaffe in which he nearly aged her by 200 years.

In a speech at a dinner in the US, she said: "Mr President, I wondered whether I should start this toast saying I was here in 1776 but I don't think I will."

She was commenting on the president having nearly referred to one of her previous visits being in 1776 not 1976.

The Queen thanked the US for helping to bring peace to Northern Ireland, as she completed her six-day state visit.

The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, has now left the US and is heading back to Britain.

She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child
President Bush

Queen triumphs amid gaffes

Mr Bush slipped up earlier in the week as he welcomed the Queen to the US when he began to say that her last previous visit to the US, during the country's bicentenary, had been in 1776.

Realising his mistake he winked at the monarch, saying: "She gave me a look that only a mother could give a child."

The Queen's comment at a dinner at the British ambassador's residence, on the final day of her US tour, raised laughter from the guests.

Peace process

On a more serious note, she went on to thank Mr Bush and his predecessors for their contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process.

Route map of the Queen's carbon-offset state visit

She said: "I would like to take the opportunity, on the day that has seen the formal transfer of power to the devolved Northern Ireland government, to thank you and your predecessors for your contribution to bringing peace in Northern Ireland."

President Bush said the transfer of power in Northern Ireland showed democracy had the power to unite a divided state.

"The people of Northern Ireland took control of their future when Catholics and Protestants came together to form a new government that offers the prospect of peace and reconciliation after years of violence and division."

Earlier the Queen and Prince Philip visited the World War II National Memorial, in Washington DC, and Nasa space centre.

At the memorial they were joined by former US President George Bush senior and his wife Barbara.

The Queen and Prince Philip together placed a wreath in memory of fallen servicemen.

The tour of the eastern US has included visits to the Kentucky Derby horse race and the site of the first permanent English settlement in the US - Jamestown in Virginia - to mark its 400th anniversary.

Following the Queen's return to the UK her carbon footprint will be calculated and offset for the first time for a state visit.

Buckingham Palace will make a donation to an environmental charity to offset the plane journeys made by the royal party.

BBC

Fuck 'Em All.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 05:20:45 AM »

Why do the Presidents bow down to the Queen of England, their former enemy?

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:39:56 AM »

because this queen was not there  former enemy, a previous queen was.

html sucks
GeraldFord
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:47:25 AM »

because this queen was not there? former enemy, a previous queen was.
Roll Eyes Shocked

It was King George III.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:50:57 AM »

because this queen was not there  former enemy, a previous queen was.
Roll Eyes Shocked

It was King George III.

well you learn something new everyday.

i dont take much notice over our queens, i really couldnt give a shit about them loo, they have no power over this country anymore.

html sucks
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 06:07:46 AM »

That was relatively benign . The man is a blithering idiot ; I'm amazed a more serious gaffe did'nt occur . I did notice his quote about democracy solving the internal strife that was going on in N.I. . What a pathetic attemp to justify his folly in Iraq .

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 06:51:35 AM »

supposedly the last time the queen officially visited america (she has unofficial visits to Busch Gardens yearly i hear) Bush Jr (his dad was running the show) said to the queen "I'm the black sheep in my family. Who is it in yours?"

Believe it or not she didnt answer, although with all the in breeding within the monarchy i'd be surprised if any of the sheep weren't a bit odd
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 07:02:37 AM »

supposedly the last time the queen officially visited america (she has unofficial visits to Busch Gardens yearly i hear) Bush Jr (his dad was running the show) said to the queen "I'm the black sheep in my family. Who is it in yours?"

Believe it or not she didnt answer, although with all the in breeding within the monarchy i'd be surprised if any of the sheep weren't a bit odd

^ Heard of Jack the Ripper!!!! (That's not a question)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:56:24 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:06:09 AM »

It's the same institution.

Maybe I should rephrase: Why do the leaders of a sovereign country, the most powerfull in the world I might add, feel the need to bow down to another country's head of state, who just happens to be their former enemy?

Do you see any state leader bowing down to another in any case, except this one, unless it's a consequence of defeat in war?

stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 07:32:22 AM »

Maybe I should rephrase: Why do the leaders of a sovereign country, the most powerfull in the world I might add, feel the need to bow down to another country's head of state, who just happens to be their former enemy?

Do you see any state leader bowing down to another in any case, except this one, unless it's a consequence of defeat in war?

Diplomacy is a game unto itself.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 07:35:44 AM »

Yes, and one of the primary rules is to not act inferior in front of another leader. Especially not if your country is the obvious superior. The way Blair treats Bush is evidence of how it usually works.

2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 07:35:59 AM »

out of respect for his elders?
respect for someone who has been the head of a nation for half a century?
bush is a good christian and the queen is a figurehead of the church of england?
decency?
manners?
etitiquette?
the fact thats she is his guest?

any of those good enough?

If simply having been at war with a country at some point in your past was enough to make you be rude then there would be no international politics.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »

Yes, and one of the primary rules is to not act inferior in front of another leader. Especially not if your country is the obvious superior. The way Blair treats Bush is evidence of how it usually works.

We are talking George Bush Junior here......

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 07:49:31 AM »

bush is a good christian and the queen is a figurehead of the church of england?
decency?
manners?
etitiquette?

If simply having been at war with a country at some point in your past was enough to make you be rude then there would be no international politics.

Please. This isn't an issue about respect or being rude. It's about a foreign state of head handing out medals and titles, and having them bow before her, like subjects. It's all very similar to how the Pope is treated. You see the Queen of England as anything like the Pope?

If only he was the only one...

stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »

decency?
manners?
etitiquette?

Please. This isn't an issue about respect or being rude. It's about a foreign state of head handing out medals and titles, and having them bow before her, like subjects. It's all very similar to how the Pope is treated. You see the Queen of England as anything like the Pope?

If only he was the only one...

You stirrer!? hihi
Say have you seen the film Highlander? Great Queen soundtrack!

Please read my modified post further up! It's meant to be FUNNY!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:09:24 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »

Fortunatelly people walking about with mindsets that place tag of "a former enemy" on top of an ally they were at war with some 250 years ago usually don't end up as diplomats anywhere. Perversion of an attitude&too much venom in them.
Queen of England doesn't hold any political power, officially or unofficially and thus,  isn't a player in the fields of international politics. I have no idea how you manage to call her a leader.  So in a meeting between Bush and the Queen, there is no political "game" going on that neither side should be aware of.It's nothing but some elementary level diplomacy and a nice PR stunt for both sides.
So..why not to bow? Mr.2na posted sound enough reasons Already.
Oh wait..because of the former enemy thing right? hihi

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:17:25 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:18:55 AM »

Fortunatelly people walking about with mindsets that place tag of "a former enemy" on top of an ally they were at war with some 250 years ago usually don't end up as diplomats anywhere. Perversion of an attitude&too much venom in them.
Queen of England doesn't hold any political power, officially or unofficially and thus,? isn't a player in the fields of international politics. I have no idea how you manage to call her a leader.? So in a meeting between Bush and the Queen, there is no political "game" going on that neither side should be aware of.It's nothing but some elementary level diplomacy and a nice PR stunt for both sides.
So..why not to bow? Oh wait..because of the former enemy thing right? hihi

Pomp and Circumstance mate, Pomp and cicumstance! We all like to dress up.......Put on snappy uniforms, cocktail frocks, leather boots, jewellery.......

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 08:29:32 AM »

No, but apparently they can become Presidents...

He tried to kill my daddy....

Queen of England doesn't hold any political power, officially or unofficially and thus,? isn't a player in the fields of international politics. I have no idea how you manage to call her a leader.? So in a meeting between Bush and the Queen, there is no political "game" going on that neither side should be aware of.It's nothing but some elementary level diplomacy and a nice PR stunt for both sides.

She actually does have a minor amount of official power, and I don't think any of us should throw around certainties about her unofficial powers.

It's not what they talk about, it's the meeting and the gestures itself that is the real game here. Making the Queen appear superior to the great leaders of the world.

I smell something lying beneath here.

stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 08:31:41 AM »

No, but apparently they can become Presidents...

He tried to kill my daddy....

She actually does have a minor amount of official power, and I don't think any of us should throw around certainties about her unofficial powers.

It's not what they talk about, it's the meeting and the gestures itself that is the real game here. Making the Queen appear superior to the great leaders of the world.

I smell something lying beneath here.

I think your sense of smell is alittle off!? confused That's me being diplomatic.? Grin
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:42:49 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 08:45:04 AM »

Well, I am a conspiracy nut so who knows what the government have done to my body hihi

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: