Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 11:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD to open album/all future shows???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD to open album/all future shows???  (Read 14490 times)
Brundle25
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »

No,

The opener should stay as Jungle. It has to be familiar to everyone. Most of the crowd dont know the words etc etc.. so its only good for people who have heard the leaks.
Jungle gets things off to a good start.
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 08:09:46 AM »

I know what you are saying, Brundle, but I have to dissagree. IMO, the SECOND song in a live set is the most important song of the whole show.

The lights go down at the beginning of a show and everyone is going nuts, screaming, etc. The band comes on and needs to deliver a nice solid punch with their first song, BUT it doesn't necessarily need to be their biggest or most known song. The following song, however, will set the tone for the rest of the show and NEEDS to be one of the bands biggest hits. The crowd is already pumped after the show has started and now you hit them with one of your biggest hits to gain even more momentum.

Good examples I've seen of this idea are...

Aerosmith:

song 1. Eat the Rich
song 2. Toys in the Attic

and

song 1. Mama Kin
song 2. Love in an Elevator

Metallica:

song 1. So What
song 2. Creeping Death

and

song 1. Breadfan
song 2. Master of Puppets

Faith No More:

song 1. Collision
song 2. Midlife Crisis

That's just the way I see it.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »

Hey, on that note Alice could open with Welcome to My Nightmare instead of Hello Hooray. Could Work!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 01:23:21 PM »

I know what you are saying, Brundle, but I have to dissagree. IMO, the SECOND song in a live set is the most important song of the whole show.

The lights go down at the beginning of a show and everyone is going nuts, screaming, etc. The band comes on and needs to deliver a nice solid punch with their first song, BUT it doesn't necessarily need to be their biggest or most known song. The following song, however, will set the tone for the rest of the show and NEEDS to be one of the bands biggest hits. The crowd is already pumped after the show has started and now you hit them with one of your biggest hits to gain even more momentum.

Aerosmith:

song 1. Eat the Rich

and

song 1. Mama Kin

Metallica:

song 1. So What
song 2. Creeping Death

and

song 1. Breadfan

Faith No More:

song 1. Collision
song 2. Midlife Crisis

This are some great examples and I agree with you. Alot of people are caught up in the excitement of the whole thing and don't really get to enjoy the first song right anyways.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »

Aerosmith:

song 1. Eat the Rich

and

song 1. Mama Kin

Metallica:

song 1. So What
song 2. Creeping Death

and

song 1. Breadfan

Faith No More:

song 1. Collision
song 2. Midlife Crisis

Agreed, and you made great examples.

Look at the first 5 songs in the Aerosmith show I attended a month ago:

01.Love In An Elevator
02.Toys In The Attic
03.Dude Looks Like a Lady
04.Fallin? In Love [Is Hard On The Knees]
05.Cryin?
06.Crazy
07.Jaded

After that smashing start, people would accept new songs, solos, everything... the start of a show is decisive to set the tone for the rest of the show. And ''Toys In The Attic'' is the big gun there, and it's placed second in the setlist like you said.

Guns should open from now on with 1) Chinese Democracy 2) Jungle 3) ISE 4) Better 5) SCOM, and then they can add several new songs (TWAT, Rhyad, completely new songs), or rare songs from UYI like ''Yesterdays'' or ''Breakdown''.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
SINSHINE
VIP

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »

I agree...CD followed by Jungle would be AWESOME! Only I would follow Jungle up with YCBM...but that's just personal taste. Like you said, esteban, wait to get into the set a few songs before bringing out the new (unheard) material.

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
axlssis
Rocker

Here Today...somewhat

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2007, 10:39:50 PM »

the first time i heard the newest chinese democracy version i thought the same thing....album opener....show opener.

i think jungle needs to be replaced as opener.  it's very cool as an opener, but they need to move on to something new.  and quite honestly, jungle is a kinda hard song to sing, axl usually sounds better on it after he's warmed up.

by any accounts, i don;t really care what song they open with live, or what songs they p[lay, just so long as they play live and i get to see them.  and the sequence of the songs on the cd, i could give a rat's ass about that either, as long as i have the finished product in my possession.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2007, 10:43:02 PM »

^CD is very similar to Jungle in a lot of ways, musically. I would  support the "new Jungle" so we can move  on. I say CD should replace  Jungle. Maybe delete Jungle altogether  or put it later in the set, like they did with Nightrain, which should not be replaced.
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2007, 10:51:58 PM »

Where in the set did WTTJ go on shows where it was not the opener? What other songs has GNR opened with?

(i know i'm getting off topic but i'm very curious)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2007, 10:55:28 PM »

Once the album is released, an opener with CD followed by Jungle would be nuts.  That'd be an amazing one-two punch to get things going.  Especially the new intro they did for CD on the last tour, where the lights went off and flashed along with Robin's opening riff
axlssis
Rocker

Here Today...somewhat

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »

Where in the set did WTTJ go on shows where it was not the opener? What other songs has GNR opened with?

(i know i'm getting off topic but i'm very curious)

anywhere they want to put it.  back in the old days it wasn't the opener, they would play it 3 or 4 songs in.  i can remember a number of shows opening with nighttrain. 

^CD is very similar to Jungle in a lot of ways, musically. I would  support the "new Jungle" so we can move  on. I say CD should replace  Jungle. Maybe delete Jungle altogether  or put it later in the set, like they did with Nightrain, which should not be replaced.

it is.  it totally reminds me of old guns.  it just has that fuck the system rawness of true rock and roll.  i love it.  i don;t think they should take out jungle, there are certain songs they will alwyas have to do live if they are going to call themselves guns n roses, and jungle is one of them.

SINSHINE
VIP

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2007, 11:39:12 PM »

^ I believe early on in the Get in the Ring tour, if I'm not mistaken. 'It's So Easy' has also been an opener.

quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 03:44:28 AM »

You're NOT getting away with it!

Personally, i think "stolat" may be pretty damn apt by the time CD is released  Grin
Jackamo!
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2007, 05:07:20 PM »

Chi D works well as the first song in the encore.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »

I think CD would be a great opener once CD is released and/if CD is the first single.  Jungle could be used as a song to "wake up" the crowd after a ballad/slower song.  Axl could start talking about some nonsense and then lead into a story about about jungle and end it by asking the now famous question:

Do you know where the fuck you are?

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2007, 05:04:00 AM »

The Gibson Amphitheater performances alone justify the choice. The demo just made it absolutely sure. Smiley

out of everything, just send me a studio version of silkworms and il be happy. that is going to sound so fucking good.
Would be cool, but I'm sure a studio version of Rhiad will be nothing but KILLER. Smiley

Second that.

And yes, I think Chinese Democracy should be the opener on the album. But not to open all of the shows. It could be a nice surprise to change the first song sometimes. But to me, WTTJ works way better than CD would. The intro is amazing, but vocals don't come straight to your face like they do on Jungle.. Jungle just fuckin' explodes after the intro smoking But I'd like to see some variation, open with Nightrain or It's So Easy for chance. And with Chinese Democracy too.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »

The Gibson Amphitheater performances alone justify the choice. The demo just made it absolutely sure. Smiley

out of everything, just send me a studio version of silkworms and il be happy. that is going to sound so fucking good.
Would be cool, but I'm sure a studio version of Rhiad will be nothing but KILLER. Smiley

Second that.

And yes, I think Chinese Democracy should be the opener on the album. But not to open all of the shows. It could be a nice surprise to change the first song sometimes. But to me, WTTJ works way better than CD would. The intro is amazing, but vocals don't come straight to your face like they do on Jungle.. Jungle just fuckin' explodes after the intro smoking But I'd like to see some variation, open with Nightrain or It's So Easy for chance. And with Chinese Democracy too.

I'd be ok with this too. One thing I really did love about the UYI tour was the revolving openers.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
axlssis
Rocker

Here Today...somewhat

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »

^ I believe early on in the Get in the Ring tour, if I'm not mistaken. 'It's So Easy' has also been an opener.

also nighttrain in the early early days.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2007, 02:26:04 AM »

also nighttrain in the early early days.

They also opened with Perfect Crime, Right Next Door To Hell, You Could Be Mine, Mr. Brownstone, Out Ta Get Me..

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2007, 07:54:19 PM »

my theory...

If the album Chinese Democracy is already out... then it it will probably open some shows...   you may notice most rock bands will usually open with the first song off their new album- if they're touring promoting new material.   

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: