Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60246 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »

#3 - As far as I can tell, you like to blame others for the fact that you VR fans justify their so called greatness basically on the fact that they release albums.

/jarmo

dont forget that they have to bash Axl Rose or Robin Finck too to justify VR's greatness.  even if neither guy has ANYTHING to do with the disucssion at hand.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2007, 08:26:43 PM »

I have the sensation that the majority of the VR fans are more focused in their shared resentment against the new guys in Guns N' Roses than in the band they supposedly worship. Now that I think it carefully, it does has sense...

Or how about VR fans that actually like and support VR and GN'R?

Yes, as hard as it may seem to believe, it is possible to like both bands. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #242 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »

dont forget that they have to bash Axl Rose or Robin Finck too to justify VR's greatness.? even if neither guy has ANYTHING to do with the disucssion at hand.

Jim, you've been around here for a while now.? You know as well as I do there's plenty of the same going on in the other direction.? There's a bazillion posts throughout this forum denegrating the x members in order to elevate the perception of Axl and company as well.

Agreed?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #243 on: May 08, 2007, 08:35:28 PM »

It seems that with Dave Kushner Slash might be trying to extend the guitar diversity in this album, maybe Dave gets to do some soloing, cause since Appetite for destruction I don't remember any other solo from Izzy in the UYI or Lies...

Of course Izzy was clearly a rhythm player, but those two solos Nightrain and Think about you sound rather good.

Anyway, I hope the Slash's solos in this record will be killer!!!!     beer drool

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »

It seems that with Dave Kushner Slash might be trying to extend the guitar diversity in this album, maybe Dave gets to do some soloing, cause since Appetite for destruction I don't remember any other solo from Izzy in the UYI or Lies...

Of course Izzy was clearly a rhythm player, but those two solos Nightrain and Think about you sound rather good.

Anyway, I hope the Slash's solos in this record will be killer!!!!? ? ?beer drool

Finally, a reply with something positive to add to the original topic! ok

I too look forward to hearing what Dave & Slash have come up with for the new album! beer

Edit: Doesn't Izzy play the solo in Double Talkin' Jive?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:43:02 PM by metallex78 » Logged

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #245 on: May 08, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »

#3 - As far as I can tell, you like to blame others for the fact that you VR fans justify their so called greatness basically on the fact that they release albums.

/jarmo

dont forget that they have to bash Axl Rose or Robin Finck too to justify VR's greatness.  even if neither guy has ANYTHING to do with the disucssion at hand.

Yeah I've noticed that a common kneejerk reaction any time someone in here questions VR is to bash the current lineup of GnR.  And another common kneejerk reaction is to say that anyone who feels that Slash's work post-GnR hasn't been able to hold a candle his work in the band is somehow disrespecting his legacy

But there's no better way to skirt around the issue at hand than changing the subject.  I can say without hesitation that Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies on his new work are just as good as they've ever been.  I don't think anyone can honestly say that Slash's guitar riffs have been as consistent and strong as they were when he was working with Izzy and Axl.  But if I say that, to some of these guys it's like saying that I don't Slash is a great guitarist.  I think he's a great guitarist who has underachieved since leaving GnR
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #246 on: May 08, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

But there's no better way to skirt around the issue at hand than changing the subject.  I can say without hesitation that Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies on his new work are just as good as they've ever been.  I don't think anyone can honestly say that Slash's guitar riffs have been as consistent and strong as they were when he was working with Izzy and Axl.  But if I say that, to some of these guys it's like saying that I don't Slash is a great guitarist.  I think he's a great guitarist who has underachieved since leaving GnR

Then there is camp C that doesn't think either one of them has made anything in the past 15 years that is anywhere near Guns greatest songs. Nothing Slash has been a part of or Axl has written will have anyone forgetting Jungle, SCOM, PC or NR anytime soon. Their stuff might be good when compared to contemporary stuff, but when you were part of the greatest Rock N' Roll album possibly ever writte, just being the best of the mediocre isn't good enough.

Both sides of the who was right about Guns debate have essentially been right, because Slash hasn't outdone himself since he left the band, and Axl has been inept since everyone left him. Instead of cheering which side is less mediocre we should be marveling at how petty Axl/Slash are that they would rather be a part of second rate projects than together because they can't admit that neither has been the same or reached that level that had people once saying they could have been the next Stones without the other.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #247 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »

[Edit: Doesn't Izzy play the solo in Double Talkin' Jive?

No, that's Slash.

Fuck 'Em All.
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #248 on: May 08, 2007, 11:31:28 PM »

No, that's Slash.

That's strange because it's credited to Izzy in the booklet.

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #249 on: May 08, 2007, 11:34:51 PM »

ISE (GN'R) / Crackerman (STP) / Sex Type Thing (STP)/ Brownstone (GNR) / Roadhouse Blues (The Doors)/ Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)  ok

Those songs are not covers. They might not be VR songs, but those songs belong to Slash and Duff as much as they belong to Axl.  I suppose then 95% of the current GN'R lineup's songs are covers too. The only original songs they play are those from the rumored CD.

And no, don't tell me it's not, because they still have the name GN'R. ANYTHING from GN'R's catalog is a cover song for everybody in the band now, except Axl.

Fuck 'Em All.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2007, 11:35:41 PM »

No, that's Slash.

Izzy wrote the song, not the solos.

Fuck 'Em All.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2007, 12:39:21 AM »

No, that's Slash.

But some booklets have misinformation about Izzy's playing the solos. Appearantly, my booklet (or: booklets, since I have two UYI Is) says it's Slash.

Back to the topic: Slash's guitar work after GN'R was at least as good as it was in GN'R. Neither Can I, Shine, Serial Killer, Back and Forth Again, YGNR, Slither etc. could have been huge hits with Axl singin'. But having another singers just don't make the guitar work worse. He had the chance to evolve, and unlike in the GN'R days, where the chord progression was really simple in most of the cases, he achieve really great on the Snakepit albums. Those are ear candy for guitar lovers - not ear candy for tone deafs though. Go listen to the Snakepit albums and try to forget that Axl is not there and take attention to the music. It's a killer. If Libertad will be as good musically as the first Snakepit was, I will even by a VR T-shirt, although I haven't bought band T-shirts for nearly a decade.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2007, 12:43:55 AM »

No, that's Slash.

I know that but in the booklet I have it says Lead Guitar: Izzy

Now that would lead me to believe he played the solo wouldn't it? Roll Eyes

But maybe like Mikkamakka said, it's a misprint?

Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »

The "fraud" tag - I've never really understood that accusation.  Can someone/anyone explain his/her thoughts on why Weiland should be labeled a "fraud"?

Because Axl did. Or was it his brain-dead housekeeper?

Ever since his little fanboys have started using it.  hihi

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:16 AM »

I dont bash Finck, I just call it like it is. U show me one thing I have posted that isnt true. He played Trent's material in NIN and for the most part he plays Slash's material in GNR.

Fans like u Jim Bob is why I constantly seem to bash the new band cause its fans like u who make it your mission to act like the old band members are disposable and replaceable which they are not.

Sure Axl can make great records without them, but even if he makes 20 AFD's on his own, it still will never take away what the old band contributed no matter how bad that hurts you.

If I heard Finck play guitar before he joined GNR I wouldnt like him and I dont think he is the right guitarist for Guns N Roses. He'd be perfect for a new band today or a band from the mid 90's but he just can't fill the shoes of an ICON just by association. He has to prove it and so far he hasn't to me.

I just hate Fans who give certain Status to guys who havent earned it just cause they are with Axl and record under the GNR name. It takes a hell of a lot more than that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2007, 01:22:45 AM »

dont worry D, i hate you too.  but not because you prefer Slash its because you can't accept people who have a different opinion than you.

but you still haven't explained why you brought Robin into this in the first place.  You are just babbling on about why you dont like Robin in the VR section for what reason?
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2007, 01:25:38 AM »

No, that's Slash.

I know that but in the booklet I have it says Lead Guitar: Izzy

Now that would lead me to believe he played the solo wouldn't it? Roll Eyes

But maybe like Mikkamakka said, it's a misprint?

Could be a misprint. But just listen to the end solo, typical Slash. Also, he plays it live.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2007, 01:30:07 AM »

I didnt bring Finck into this, Someone else did.

I think what started it was u sayin u liked Robin's SCOM better and it went from there.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2007, 01:38:53 AM »

ISE (GN'R) / Crackerman (STP) / Sex Type Thing (STP)/ Brownstone (GNR) / Roadhouse Blues (The Doors)/ Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)  ok

Those songs are not covers. They might not be VR songs, but those songs belong to Slash and Duff as much as they belong to Axl.  I suppose then 95% of the current GN'R lineup's songs are covers too. The only original songs they play are those from the rumored CD.

And no, don't tell me it's not, because they still have the name GN'R. ANYTHING from GN'R's catalog is a cover song for everybody in the band now, except Axl.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Man, I dont want to force your neurons too much, but... errr... Mr Brownstone and Its So Easy appear in the booklet that came with my Appetite For Destruction CD... and that CD (the vynil too, but as I said, do not demand your brain an effort it's unable to make) is labeled as... errr.... Guns N' Roses!

If Im not wrong, Slash, the liar, the two former GNR members and (let me think)... Dave Kushner are in a TOTAL different band, with a slightly different name: Velvet Revolver!

Velvet Revolver playing Guns N' Roses songs: COVER. It would still be a cover in USA, in Argentina (my country) and in Malaysia.

Damn man, your last post seemed to have been written by whiny baby girl...  Roll Eyes

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #259 on: May 09, 2007, 01:45:48 AM »

errr.... Guns N' Roses!

Your arguments are so predictable, estebanf. I knew you'd use the "they're Guns N' Roses" argument which is why I said in the original post:

And no, don't tell me it's not, because they still have the name GN'R.

Learn to read the whole post, lest your reply makes you look retarded.

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: