Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:22:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60223 times)
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »

Im not a NIN efficianado I will admit but doesnt Trent Reznor write and play everything and he then has a touring band to bring his creation to life?

If that is true, wasnt Robin basically  just a cover guitarist in NIN also?

pretty much .

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
GeraldFord
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2007, 12:35:23 AM »

Im not a NIN efficianado I will admit but doesnt Trent Reznor write and play everything and he then has a touring band to bring his creation to life?

If that is true, wasnt Robin basically? just a cover guitarist in NIN also?

Robin plays on a handful of remix tracks, and the live album/dvd.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2007, 12:36:23 AM »

Nine Inch Nails is a ''band'', like we all know the word band, only live. Trent basically does everything on his own at the studio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Inch_Nails:_Live

If you want to call Robin a cover guitarist, feel free to do it, but I dont really know what that has to with with this topic.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2007, 12:37:39 AM »

pretty much .

what does whether or not a person wrote something have anything to do with their ability to play it exceptionally well in concert?    Thats why I can appreciate Robin's take on some of the old GnR songs more than the original, because I dont givea fuck if he wrote them or not.  I think some of the songs sound better played by him. 

When I'm at a rock show, I dont sit there and analyze the guys on stage based on whether or not they wrote the stuff.    Thats silly to me.  Its either an enjoyable performance or it isn't.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »

^
Cause u are trying to compare Finck to a Guitar Icon and Finck hasnt wrote ANYTHING EVER thats been any kind of hit or has had any? kind of impact.

So how can u compare someone who has wrote nothing to a guy who has some of the greatest riffs and solos in Rock N Roll history? Its just not cool to me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2007, 12:42:29 AM »

I'm not trying to compare anybody.  You are the one who brought Robin into the discussion dude.  damn.

And to all of you who are trying to discredit Robin as a songwriter, if he was a shit songwriter and didn't have any creativity

A. Better would have never been written
B. He wouldnt' be in Guns N' Roses for almost a decade
C. Axl wouldn't have brought him back into the band after he left it back in 1999.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »

I'm not trying to compare anybody.  You are the one who brought Robin into the discussion dude.  damn.

And to all of you who are trying to discredit Robin as a songwriter, if he was a shit songwriter and didn't have any creativity

A. Better would have never been written
B. He wouldnt' be in Guns N' Roses for almost a decade
C. Axl wouldn't have brought him back into the band after he left it back in 1999.

I don't think anybody is say robin can't write just that dude hasn't proven that he can yet.

I'm sure that may/will change if the album ever comes out.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Lolita
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »

Robin has nothing to do in this thread,  no
We're not supposed to be discussing about  Robin's ability to write songs/play Slash's riffs here.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2007, 12:51:27 AM »

Robin has nothing to do in this thread,? no
We're not supposed to be discussing about? Robin's ability to write songs/play Slash's riffs here.

Yeah, this thread is about ear candy guitar playing. Finck has nothing to do with that.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2007, 12:56:59 AM »

Ron Thal           = Brilliant Lead Guitarist.
Richard Fortus  = Rhythm Guitarist.
Robin Finck       = Um, Third Wheel?

Ha, just kidding. I'll give Robin the benefit of the doubt for 'Better' and 'The Blues', but comparing Slash to a cover guitarist is well, retarted.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2007, 01:00:58 AM »

Maybe Chinese Democracy has taken so long due to the lack of material? Maybe he quit in 99 cause he couldn't please Axl?

I just dont like his tone or style of play.

Better is a good song but I dont think its gonna be a song that is remembered 10 years from now. I hope I am wrong but most of the great songs I have heard are the ones where the guitar doesn't play much of a part.

Like Madagascar has quotes where normally u would get a blazing amazing Slash guitar solo.

Compare The Blues solo to SCOM,NR or Estranged's guitar parts and u will see what im saying.

Sure the solos and stuff are good, they dont suck by any means but they arent on that legendary amazing level or anywhere close.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2007, 02:00:45 AM »

It's been 12/13 years since the peak in the GNR popularity. In these 12 years, Slash didn't do anything to try to keep himself in that ''icon'' position. Instead of that, he played in almost anonymous bands, made special collaborations with Marta Sanchez, Paulina Rubio, Cypress Hill and made a ''supergroup'' that is having a slightly more repercussion than Snakepit (a cult band, known only by hardcore GNR fans). What I want to say is that Slash is currently not the 1% of the rock icon, not the 1% as popular as he was in 1993. And being involved with Velvet Revolver, to my eyes, is not helping...

In the other hand we have Axl Rose. His myth is growing with the pass of the years, even when I admit that not because of musical reasons. He, at least, was able to keep his ''icon'' position safe. He didn't ruin his own reputation playing with nobodies like, to my eyes, Slash did. And now he has very big chances of recovering all what he could have lost in all these years, because he's still in one of the best rock bands in history, sounding better than ever, and with the ambition of giving the fans an evolved musical direction, without damaging the GN'R legacy.

Let me get this straight, you say Slash has lost that ''icon position", but Axl hasn't?

You're dead-set fucking delusional.

This decade long Chinse Democracy farce has turned Axl into a punchline in the music industry. He was part of the band that released an all-time great rock album (AFD) so he'll always be a rock god to a lot of people (including myself) but it is idiotic to suggest his reputation hasn't taken a severe beating over the last ten years.

And yet Slash, still looking as iconic as ever, still releasing new music, and part of one the best and biggest modern-day rock bands in the world, is the one that lost it?

Whatever gets you through the night, champ...

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2007, 03:30:49 AM »

Robin has nothing to do in this thread,  no
We're not supposed to be discussing about  Robin's ability to write songs/play Slash's riffs here.

Yeah, this thread is about ear candy guitar playing. Finck has nothing to do with that.

Nice low blow.  I suppose you think the world of Dave Kushner smoking
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2007, 03:40:57 AM »

Kushner is a rhythm guitarist. He doesn't pretend to be anything else. smoking
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:55:16 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2007, 03:54:57 AM »

Kushner is a rhythm guitarist. He doesn't pretent to be anything else. smoking

I didn't know playing rhythm guitar meant you had to be bland and anonymous both in the studio and on stage
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57:52 AM »

I didn't know playing rhythm guitar meant you had to be bland and anonymous both in the studio and on stage

Better than playing lead guitar and being bland and anonymous, don't you think?

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2007, 04:25:22 AM »

you fucking slash fans make me laugh.  all you can do is bash robin to get your point across.    If you dont like the guys in the band now, why dont you just go to a fucking velvet revolver forum ?

here you go, i'll make it easy
http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2007, 04:28:23 AM »

Better than playing lead guitar and being bland and anonymous, don't you think?

clearly you never saw GnR live then in 2006.  Did you even bother reading any of the reviews?  Robin got the best reviews out of all the guitarists there.  Go look em up.

how about actually talking about Slash and waht he said about the latest album.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2007, 04:45:49 AM »

clearly you never saw GnR live then in 2006.  Did you even bother reading any of the reviews?  Robin got the best reviews out of all the guitarists there.  Go look em up. how about actually talking about Slash and waht he said about the latest album.

I was speaking about Robin as compared to Slash. But you're right. We shouldn't be talking about Robin. Now back on topic.

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2007, 05:12:06 AM »

clearly you never saw GnR live then in 2006.  Did you even bother reading any of the reviews?  Robin got the best reviews out of all the guitarists there.  Go look em up. how about actually talking about Slash and waht he said about the latest album.

I was speaking about Robin as compared to Slash. But you're right. We shouldn't be talking about Robin. Now back on topic.

who the fuck cares about robin compared to Slash.  One of the guys is in GnR, the other left it.   Robin more than fills the spot he is in so you are right, back to the topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: