Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60299 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2007, 11:03:52 PM »

What does it tell you that Contraband was very successful and Army of Anyone and STP's last album bombed?

Maybe the general public is more interested in GN'R and a band featuring former members of GN'R than STP.

The Weiland-less ex-GNR bands disprove that theory, dont they?

Talk Show failed to break out in '98; STP released a record a year later that has sold over a million copies.? So the explanation youve proposed is an easy, but specious, one.? The real explanation has more to do with the DeLeo brothers (and Richard Patrick) being much lower-in-profile than Scott and the GNR members, and subsequently less marketable; but thats always been the case.? I would personally that VRs music is better as well, but thats secondary.

A band with Slash and Duff with any high profile singer would do better today then an STP album

A Rod Jackson led Snakepit sure as hell didn't, and not because Duff wasn't in the band.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2007, 11:04:40 PM »

True, but if it were the original band, they would be more like the Rolling Stones in popularity and U2.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »

That said, do you actually think We'll be hearing that tune being played with the same frequency 20 years from now as WTTJ, SCOM and PC are played with today?

I think people lose that perspective sometimes.
GeraldFord
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »

I don't think that's the case.

I think that's exactly the case.? More records, more singles, more hits, more formats playing them.

That is just not true.

More records? As in more records sold?

STP

Core- 8 Million
Purple- 6 Million
Tiny Music- 2 Million
No4- 1 Million
SLDD- .5 million
Best of- NA

17.5 Million

GN'R

AFD- 15 Million
LIES- 5 Million
UYI 1- 7 Million
UYI 2- 7 Million
TSI?- 1 Million
Live- .5 Million
GH- 3 Million

38.5 Million

More hits?

No again. Funny how STP's GH sold nothing yet GN'R's greatest hits sold 3 million copies.

More formats playing STP than GN'R.

Nope. ?GN'R gets spins on classic and modern rock stations. STP gets played too, but I'll tell you, at least in Boston GN'R gets way more aireplay than STP.

Do you have any figures to back up any of your claims?

You have been served....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2007, 11:09:03 PM »

True, but if it were the original band, they would be more like the Rolling Stones in popularity and U2.

Exactly.

A legacy to bulid on, not one to be held in comparsion to.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2007, 11:10:54 PM »

they would be more like the Rolling Stones in popularity

People always thought they were going to be the next Rolling Stones, they had that same charisma and timeless sound. Too bad pride got in the way.
GeraldFord
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »

What does it tell you that Contraband was very successful and Army of Anyone and STP's last album bombed?

Maybe the general public is more interested in GN'R and a band featuring former members of GN'R than STP.

The Weiland-less ex-GNR bands disprove that theory, dont they?

Talk Show failed to break out in '98; STP released a record a year later that has sold over a million copies.? So the explanation youve proposed is an easy, but specious, one.? The real explanation has more to do with the DeLeo brothers (and Richard Patrick) being much lower-in-profile than Scott and the GNR members, and subsequently less marketable; but thats always been the case.? I would personally that VRs music is better as well, but thats secondary.

A band with Slash and Duff with any high profile singer would do better today then an STP album

A Rod Jackson led Snakepit sure as hell didn't, and not because Duff wasn't in the band.

I said high profile singer.

If Gavin Rosedale, Jon Davis, Kid Rock, etc, had been the singer in VR it would have sold well.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2007, 11:18:43 PM »

Exactly.

A legacy to bulid on, not one to be held in comparsion to.

Yep, that is right. ?It would have been so nice, but I guess since they were so crazy it was just never meant to be. ?Sometimes I wish I could go back to 1995 as a fortune teller and work Axl and Slash's shit out. ?Oh well. ?Reminds me of that song Darkside from that movie with tom berenger in it. ?I forget the name of the band. ?Johnny and the somethings.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2007, 11:23:11 PM »

More records? As in more records sold?

No, of original music.

More hits?

More singles that receive regular airplay I'd suspect.

More formats playing STP than GN'R.

Easy, STP is a staple of classic and modern rock stations nationwide. ?Tons of tunes on each.

GNR is obviously huge on classic stations, but still don't get near the run on modern rock formatted stations. An occassional spin of WTTJ, PC or SCOM on a "Flashback lunch" just doesn't match up to the catalog STP boasts geared towards that audience.

You have been served....

I stand by my original post.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:46:13 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2007, 11:25:36 PM »

I still don't get why GNR doesn't get play on modern rock stations much.  yet, they play old Metallica and old RHCP.  You are right Richard, I heard the Radio edit of SCOM.  The left out most of the effing solo and cut to vox quickly in the beginning.  Such bullshit.  and now they play Interstate Love Song on the Classic rock stations.  Such bullshit.  Hmm.
GeraldFord
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »

Falcon, I think you would be right about STP getting more spins on the radio if it were ten years ago. As of 2007, however, STP are not a modern, contemporary band. STP are just as much of a nostalgia act as GN'R are at this point. And even more so, as they don't have the loyal following of GN'R. Kids today are not discovering Core and Purple the way kids today are discovering GN'R via the Greatest Hits and AFD.

As for original material, STP has five albums and GN'R has four. GN'R has far outsold STP in the States as the numbers I listed will indicate (from Wikipedia).

As for more hits, look at the track-listing of GN'R's GH and then look at the same list for STP's GH. So both bands have a lot of hits. But I will tell you that at least in Boston, I tend to hear GN'R more than STP, and not just during the "retro-lunch hour."

I like Stone Temple Pilots a lot, they are one of my favorite bands in fact. I saw them in 2002 and I think they are great. So I don't mean any of this as a diss and I don't mean to discredit them or say they suck or whatever. That said, there is no way that STP are more relevant/popular, etc. than GN'R. That is just not the case.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2007, 11:44:22 PM »

He is your Fav guitarist cause he plays with Axl, and Slash no longer is cause he doesn't.
thats horseshit and a baseless assumption.? ?It has nothing to do with Axl.? Again, get your head out of $la$h's ass.? ?Until you do that, there is no point in trying to disucss anything with someone so blind and lame.

The same shit again... Where is the ignore function? It's your opinion, right? And you're not bashing Slash, and his fans, right?  Roll Eyes   Grow up.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
GeraldFord
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2007, 11:49:30 PM »

It tells me there's little to no interest in a Weiland-less band featuring former members of STP

STP's last album, which Weiland sang on, bombed.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »

Yep, it tanked.  No doubt about it.

The other 5 he did with STP did fairly well, wouldn't you agree?

His ability validated and status solidified I'd suppose?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2007, 11:59:10 PM »

Possibly, but I wouldnt be so sure of that.
GeraldFord
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2007, 12:02:54 AM »

Yep, it tanked.? No doubt about it.

The other 5 he did with STP did fairly well, wouldn't you agree?

His ability validated and status solidified I'd suppose?

He made four other albums, five total.

Weiland is a rock-star and his status is "solidified." He's sang on some of the best rock albums of the last twenty years, I wont refute that. My point all along has been that STP are not more relavant/popular/iconic today than GN'R.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »

I'll catch you in 6 months and you'll tell me ''sorry estebanf, I was blinded by nostalgia''  peace

If you think Robin will have the same "icon" status in 6 months Slash has carved over the past 20, feel free dude.  You obviously have no sense of what it takes to reach that height in the pantheon of rock music and popular culture

I know. But you have to understand that we are not currently a week after the GNR rupture. It's been 12/13 years since the peak in the GNR popularity. In these 12 years, Slash didn't do anything to try to keep himself in that ''icon'' position. Instead of that, he played in almost anonymous bands, made special collaborations with Marta Sanchez, Paulina Rubio, Cypress Hill and made a ''supergroup'' that is having a slightly more repercussion than Snakepit (a cult band, known only by hardcore GNR fans). What I want to say is that Slash is currently not the 1% of the rock icon, not the 1% as popular as he was in 1993. And being involved with Velvet Revolver, to my eyes, is not helping...

In the other hand we have Axl Rose. His myth is growing with the pass of the years, even when I admit that not because of musical reasons. He, at least, was able to keep his ''icon'' position safe. He didn't ruin his own reputation playing with nobodies like, to my eyes, Slash did. And now he has very big chances of recovering all what he could have lost in all these years, because he's still in one of the best rock bands in history, sounding better than ever, and with the ambition of giving the fans an evolved musical direction, without damaging the GN'R legacy.

Chinese Democracy has not too much chances of selling 15.0 million copies like AFD did, but there are SEVERAL reasons for this, where the musical one is just ONE posibility. The world is not ruled anymore by hard rock music, Axl has 44 years and internet exists. Do not rule out the posibility of Chinese Democracy being as killer as Appetite. Even if it is better, it wont sell the number of copies AFD has sold, and that has nothing to do with the hypothetical quality of the album.

But now the band is back in a great form, and if there was one guitarist in the rock environment to replace Slash, in my opinion, that was Robin. And again, if there is one band in the world capable of bringing back the rock status to a higher level, that is Guns N' Roses, because Guns N' Roses, with all the new music we could heard, is showing that is able to rock hardly without sounding old-fashioned. And the main man, the new man where all the people will focus on is Robin. In 6 months (or a year, whatever) the world will know who is the GNR guitarist. The world will know that Guns N' Roses is alive, rocking, in a great form, and Slash is not there. People will say: ''hey, Guns N' Roses can rock without Slash'' and will have VR to contrast and make conclussions, like lots of us did a long time ago.

I"m just being realistic, I don't think anything this version of GNR does will ever be looked or even mentioned in same sentence with that of the original guys and AFD.  That record is generally considered one of the top few hard rock records of all time.  Do you actually think CD will garner that kind of acclaim? 

You need to realise that Appetite For Destruction is an album from the same band that the one that is gonna release Chinese Democracy: Guns N' Roses. Why do you need so desperately to make some kind of ''competition'' between two albums from the same band? Maybe because you think that GNR died with Slash departure, and you consider Chinese Democracy an album from whatever band but NOT Guns N' Roses. In that case, the comparison would be reasonable.

I think that CD will be huge. I dont really care if it sells more than AFD. I'm also proud of AFD, because its an album made by my favourite band. Simple

Objectivity is a good thing, give it a try sometime.

Proposing a comparison about a disc released in the 1987 rock music context and another in 200X is not objective neither. Making some kind of competition between two albums of the same band, like a death or life subject neither. Paul McCartney's albums are as good currently [quality] as in 1990. But no one seems to give a shit about that kind of music today. That makes his latest albums worse?

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2007, 12:20:14 AM »

Jim Bob, just wanna be sure you said the following...

Chinese Democracy (the song) > Paradise City, Nighttrain, WTTJ, SCOM, Rocket Queen, Its So Easy, and Mr. Brownstone

Jim Bob, that is what you are saying isn't it?

I do not agree. 

Chinese Democracy (the song) > My World, Shotgun Blues, You're Crazy (Appetite Version), Reckless Life

thats not what i said, i said head and shoulders next to any song on AFD.   So it would be closer to this

Chinese Democracy (the song) == Paradise City, Nighttrain, WTTJ, SCOM, Rocket Queen, Its So Easy, and Mr. Brownstone.   

a better way to put it, if i ranked all the songs on AFD from favorite to least favorite and threw CD in there, CD wuld probably be 3rd or 4th on the list.

GeraldFord
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2007, 12:27:25 AM »

What I want to say is that Slash is currently not the 1% of the rock icon, not the 1% as popular as he was in 1993.

Contraband sold 2 million copies in the US alone, a third of each UYI disc. I'd say he's doing okay for himself.
You are thinking of someone like David Lee Roth or Vince Neil.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:17 AM »

Im not a NIN efficianado I will admit but doesnt Trent Reznor write and play everything and he then has a touring band to bring his creation to life?

If that is true, wasnt Robin basically  just a cover guitarist in NIN also?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: