Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60264 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2007, 02:04:19 PM »

I don't think that's the case.

I think that's exactly the case.? More records, more singles, more hits, more formats playing them.

What does it tell you that Contraband was very successful and Army of Anyone and STP's last album bombed?

It tells me there's little to no interest in a Weiland-less band featuring former members of STP

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2007, 02:53:48 PM »

Jim Bob callin me a Slash Nuthugger but I dont think I have "Slashanator" or SLashisGod as my Title do I?

He is your Fav guitarist cause he plays with Axl, and Slash no longer is cause he doesn't. To me that is being more of a what u called me than I am by appreciating a guy who has proven to be an Icon and Legend many times over.

Robin Finck is the John Corabi of Guns N Roses.

Same with motley, even had they not got Vince back, 20 years from now if u would've asked who the vocalist of Motley was people would've said Vince Neil.

Same here. in 20 years the guitarist for Guns N Roses will still be and always will be Slash. Just the way it is.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2007, 04:48:47 PM »

Same here. in 20 years the guitarist for Guns N Roses will still be and always will be Slash. Just the way it is.

That's just what you wish, nothing more, nothing else.

I dont know... I think that a comment like that is kinda a ''frustration/resignation post''... if you think VR has a future, it would be cool that in 20 years Slash could be remembered as the VR guitarist.

Me, as a Guns N' Roses fan, I have full faith that the current band members are going to be as big and as popular as the former members, just because I am absolutely convinced that they are as good/talented (or even more) as the former members.

Maybe you are absolutely sure that VR has not the enough potential to be as big as Guns N' Roses.

I am. What about you?

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »

Me, as a Guns N' Roses fan, I have full faith that the current band members are going to be as big and as popular as the former members,

Nothing against the new guys, they're all fine musicians and seem to be good guys as well.

That said..

I can virtually guarranty none of the 3 guitarists will ever have the "rock icon" status that Slash enjoys today.

It just won't happen.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »

So tiresome to read some trolls hijacking every thread in the VR section.  Undecided   If you can't stay ontopic, get away from the thread... or the mods should delete these shitty posts just like they're doing it in the 'current GN'R' section. Ooops, I forgot that some people here have only one aim in their mind: don't let VR be discussed here.

Hey, maybe you could ask why Booker had to bring GN'R into this thread.....

Just making sure you're fair in your thread hijacking statistics.  ok

It seems like as soon as somebody questions VR's words, one of you will mention GN'R and blame the person who questioned what a VR member said, for bringing the thread off topic or making it to be about GN'R.

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »

No need, he probably read the two posts in which I explained it. 

Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2007, 06:15:44 PM »

No need, he probably read the two posts in which I explained it.?

Yeah, I think it wasn't you who hijacked the thread...

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2007, 07:27:46 PM »

Me, as a Guns N' Roses fan, I have full faith that the current band members are going to be as big and as popular as the former members,

Nothing against the new guys, they're all fine musicians and seem to be good guys as well.

That said..

I can virtually guarranty none of the 3 guitarists will ever have the "rock icon" status that Slash enjoys today.

It just won't happen.

Fine.

As long as you state it like a personal opinion, it should be ok for everyone. You have an opinion, I have mine.

What I find kinda sad is stating that ''in 20 years Slash will be remembered as the GNR guitarist'' as a FACT. It's even sadder for VR fans, not for me.

Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

No doubt my friend, it's a fact.

I am so happy, because my favorite artist is in my two favorites band, Guns n' Roses y Velvet Revolver.

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »

Robin Finck is the John Corabi of Guns N Roses.

Same with motley, even had they not got Vince back, 20 years from now if u would've asked who the vocalist of Motley was people would've said Vince Neil.

That's an interesting analogy, but I consider John Corabi a MUCH better vocalist than Vince, and that album they released with him is Motley's finest effort in my opinion.

As for Robin Finck, I much prefer Slash, but I think that Finck is more than capable and has played great solos in the new songs too.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2007, 09:23:10 PM »

He is your Fav guitarist cause he plays with Axl, and Slash no longer is cause he doesn't.
thats horseshit and a baseless assumption.   It has nothing to do with Axl.  Again, get your head out of $la$h's ass.   Until you do that, there is no point in trying to disucss anything with someone so blind and lame.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2007, 09:48:01 PM »

Fine.

As long as you state it like a personal opinion, it should be ok for everyone. You have an opinion, I have mine.

Catch me in 20 years, I'll be glad to say I told you so then. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »

Fine.

Catch me in 20 years, I'll be glad to say I told you so then. yes

I'll catch you in 6 months and you'll tell me ''sorry estebanf, I was blinded by nostalgia''  peace

Just one more question: You think that Slash will be always remembered as the Guns N' Roses guitarist, no matter what Robin can do from now on. Now... Do you want this?

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »

I truly appreciate the mods and Jarmo for allowing this discussion to keep happening. I realize this thread probably should've been locked pages ago but I think we are having a great discussion.

Saying SLash will be remembered as GNR's guitarist isnt a slight on VR or new GNR but I think sometimes people forget exactly the legendary Iconic stuff Slash created in Guns. I think sometimes people take Slash for granted and dont fully give him his respect.

As great as Axl is, I feel Slash contributed just as much to GNR's legacy and success. his riffs and solos are 2nd to none and I dare say he is the greatest guitarist of his generation and it isnt close.

Who can compare? James Hetfield? NO ?Kirk Hammett? NO ?

Eddie Van Halen may have invented the finger tapping style but I think Slash has way better riffs and solos. *Just my opinion*

I just think people take Slash's side and shit on Axl or vice versa and it isnt fair either way.

I am equal when it comes to both. I like them both equally and acknowledge what they both meant to the band.

Someone mentioned earlier that Slash's Solos have been subpar cause he doesnt have the same masterpiece stuff to work with and that he has just been having to do the best he can with what he has to work with.

Same can be said for Axl. Could the album possibly be taking so long cause the material just hasnt been there? Axl may be having to just work with what he has?

If u listen to the music *Ignore Axl* just listen to the music, Its like Scott Weiland. Its good and its serviceable but its nowhere near all time great stuff.

I hear the live version of "The Blues" and that song could be NR or Estranged but its missing some ingredient, its missing that extra something and to me that is Slash and his brilliant melodies and solos.

Jim Bob, Let me ask u this and I'll shut up. be honest though:
Did u even know who the hell Robin Finck was before GNR? W ould anyone care about Buckethead if he hadn't played with Axl? Did anyone ever mention Fortus or Bumblefoot till they got with Axl?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:07:20 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2007, 10:27:59 PM »

Jim Bob, Let me ask u this and I'll shut up. be honest though:
Did u even know who the hell Robin Finck was before GNR?

just about anyone who is a fan of NIN knew who Robin is.

and what you are saying about missing ingredients in the new songs is bullshit.   The songs are great the way they are and probably wouldn't even exist without those guys.   Sorry to break it to ya, but GnR doesn't need Slash. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2007, 10:34:09 PM »

I'll catch you in 6 months and you'll tell me ''sorry estebanf, I was blinded by nostalgia''? peace

If you think Robin will have the same "icon" status in 6 months Slash has carved over the past 20, feel free dude. ?You obviously have no sense of what it takes to reach that height in the pantheon of rock music and popular culture

Just one more question: You think that Slash will be always remembered as the Guns N' Roses guitarist, no matter what Robin can do from now on. ?

I think Slash will always be associated with GNR, there's too much history for him not to. ?I don't think the band as it is now will ever reach the heights of popularity, sales or historical significance the original line up had. ?Unless Robin helps write an album that has the same impact AFD had, he will never have the same status Slash had with the band. ?

Do you want this?

No. ?

Robin is they key ingredient for me staying interested in the band, check my post history.

I"m just being realistic, I don't think anything this version of GNR does will ever be looked or even mentioned in same sentence with that of the original guys and AFD. ?That record is generally considered one of the top few hard rock records of all time. ?Do you actually think CD will garner that kind of acclaim? ?

Objectivity is a good thing, give it a try sometime.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2007, 10:39:23 PM »

I"m just being realistic, I don't think anything this version of GNR does will ever be looked or even mentioned in same sentence with that of the original guys and AFD.  That record is generally considered one of the top few hard rock records of all time.  Do you actually think CD will garner that kind of acclaim? 

IMO, Chinese Democracy (the song) stands head and shoulders next to anything on AFD.   

You are probably correct in your statement that GnR will never reach the popularity they did with AFD, and I think that holds true regardless of who is in the lineup.  Even if it was the original guys it would be no different.    But GnR's history hasn't been written yet.
GeraldFord
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »

What does it tell you that Contraband was very successful and Army of Anyone and STP's last album bombed?

Maybe the general public is more interested in GN'R and a band featuring former members of GN'R than STP.

The Weiland-less ex-GNR bands disprove that theory, dont they?

Talk Show failed to break out in '98; STP released a record a year later that has sold over a million copies.? So the explanation youve proposed is an easy, but specious, one.? The real explanation has more to do with the DeLeo brothers (and Richard Patrick) being much lower-in-profile than Scott and the GNR members, and subsequently less marketable; but thats always been the case.? I would personally that VRs music is better as well, but thats secondary.

A band with Slash and Duff with any high profile singer would do better today then an STP album or Talk Show or AOA.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »

I"m just being realistic, I don't think anything this version of GNR does will ever be looked or even mentioned in same sentence with that of the original guys and AFD.? That record is generally considered one of the top few hard rock records of all time.? Do you actually think CD will garner that kind of acclaim??

IMO, Chinese Democracy (the song) stands head and shoulders next to anything on AFD.? ?

You are probably correct in your statement that GnR will never reach the popularity they did with AFD, and I think that holds true regardless of who is in the lineup.? Even if it was the original guys it would be no different.? ? But GnR's history hasn't been written yet.

Jim Bob, just wanna be sure you said the following...

Chinese Democracy (the song) > Paradise City, Nighttrain, WTTJ, SCOM, Rocket Queen, Its So Easy, and Mr. Brownstone

Jim Bob, that is what you are saying isn't it?

I do not agree. ?

Chinese Democracy (the song) > My World, Shotgun Blues, You're Crazy (Appetite Version), Reckless Life
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2007, 11:00:02 PM »

IMO, Chinese Democracy (the song) stands head and shoulders next to anything on AFD.? ?

I respect your opinion, I dig the tune too. ?That said, do you actually think We'll be hearing that tune being played with the same frequency 20 years from now as WTTJ, SCOM and PC are played with today?

You are probably correct in your statement that GnR will never reach the popularity they did with AFD, and I think that holds true regardless of who is in the lineup.? Even if it was the original guys it would be no different.? ?

I agree, the bar was set to unreachable heights from the get go.

Some need to realize as you said above, those heights will never be reached again.

No matter who's in the band.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:04:47 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: