Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60222 times)
Lethalis
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2007, 03:32:37 AM »

What song will scott be remembered for?
His STP stuff. Songs like Plush, Crackerman and Wicked Garden.

And with VR, Fall To Pieces maybe. That song has always meant a lot to me.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2007, 03:48:44 AM »

I have to agree with Jarmo.

Boasting is one thing but Axl's boasts are dead on the money.

You, like Jarmo, have missed the point. 

Jarmo first had an issue with the idea that a musician would compare their new material with a classic like Exile On Main St..  Then once he was reminded that Axl had done the same thing, it was about the individual making the comment, not the principle.  It was a disingenuous criticism from the start, it just took some time to clarify.

Turn on the radio sometime; youre bound to hear "Interstate Love Song," "Plush," "Vasoline," "Big Empty," "Sex Type Thing," or "Creep."  Like it or not, these songs have been embraced as, yes, classics by rock radio.  Whether you agree or not, theyll continue to be played for years to come.  Thats a simple fact.

This discussion of what is "classic" simply cant be continued until a consensus is reached on what defines the word.  I dont see that happening (especially with estebanf), so its probably best that its dropped.   

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2007, 03:56:19 AM »

Jarmo first had an issue with the idea that a musician would compare their new material with a classic like Exile On Main St..  Then once he was reminded that Axl had done the same thing, it was about the individual making the comment, not the principle.  It was a disingenuous criticism from the start, it just took some time to clarify.

Turn on the radio sometime; youre bound to hear "Interstate Love Song," "Plush," "Vasoline," "Big Empty," "Sex Type Thing," or "Creep."  Like it or not, these songs have been embraced as, yes, classics by rock radio.  Whether you agree or not, theyll continue to be played for years to come.  Thats a simple fact.

This discussion of what is "classic" simply cant be continued until a consensus is reached on what defines the word.  I dont see that happening (especially with estebanf), so its probably best that its dropped.   

You're suggesting that ''Big Empty'' is a classic, and I am the problem here?  hihi

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2007, 04:13:16 AM »

I'm still confused as to why estebanf wants Slash to lie to him and say that there are more aggressive songs on Libertad than Let It Roll when there may not be. Huh

All I can figure is you're basically saying you want to be fooled into hearing something you want to hear about the album to make you like it and in turn make you buy it?

And it ain't about whether bands or artists lie and hype up their albums, because I know that's the case.
But the fact that Slash has said that Let It Roll is the most aggressive song on there and you don't like it, aren't you glad you have an idea of what to expect when it's released?

If you don't then I'm sorry, but I still don't understand your logic...

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2007, 04:16:32 AM »

You're suggesting that ''Big Empty'' is a classic, and I am the problem here?  hihi

"Big Empty" is a song that helped propel the album on which it was featured to over 6X Platinum in America.  It receives steady radio airplay 13 years later. 

You believe that unreleased, generally unheard songs are classics.  Thats your opinion; I posted facts.  You can "laugh" if you feel so inclined, but youre probably the only one doing so.

By the way, wheres that post describing "Let It Roll" as "horrible?"  I still cant find it.   Huh
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2007, 04:51:43 AM »

aren't you glad you have an idea of what to expect when it's released?

Yes. I'm ''glad'' (i dont know if that is the word) because I know what to expect, and I dont see myself buying that album now (I already spent a lot of money to see VR live and was a waste of money/time/illusions).

But I'm trying to think as the artist, not as a fan. I still think that, if you want to sell more records, you need to be careful with what you say. Libertad has 13 tracks, right? Slash knows that VR fans have heard three new songs, so they can make their own conclussions about them. So, he should praise unheard songs (he has 10 tracks left), create expectations in the potential buyers, so they will go running to the stores to buy the album ''because VR's main man said that X song is very aggresive, and I must heard that song now''

I think Slash was honest... but not smart. If you want to sell your product, you need to be a little machiavellian. Like I said, I'm trying to put myself in the mind of the artist.

If before the VR show in my country, Slash would have said in a local newspaper ''we are going to do a very boring show, play 50% covers, ruin Wish You Were Here, leave the stage without interacting a single time with the crowd, use a megaphone in almost all songs, and we are gonna be overshadowed by Evanescence'', then:

* Slash would have been honest
* Slash would have been not smart
* I would never have bought my ticket

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2007, 05:35:18 AM »

It's not his fault you have shit taste in music.  Undecided

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2007, 06:22:55 AM »

maybe in america those STP songs are heard, but here in england  i hear jack shit from STP ANYWHERE, rarely they are on music TV, and when they are its just sex type thing.

Old gnr stuff gets played pretty often, for an old band hated by one of our main rock press mags, kerrang.

i like VR, i love slash, i love duff, matts a dick though, and daves cool too, scott to me, spoils the band, his vocals totally hold them back, hes very limited, they should have gotten a better singer.

html sucks
Lethalis
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »

maybe in america those STP songs are heard, but here in england  i hear jack shit from STP ANYWHERE, rarely they are on music TV, and when they are its just sex type thing.

Old gnr stuff gets played pretty often, for an old band hated by one of our main rock press mags, kerrang.
That doesn't mean anything though.

I've never heard of The Black Crowes either in Holland, before my girlfriend introduced me to them.. and they're pretty good. The thing that made GnR so popular was their image. The more different and unique you are, the more widely known you'll get.

For instance, everybody knows Marilyn Manson  Grin Whether they hate him or not, doesn't matter.. everybody seems to know about him.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2007, 07:15:17 AM »

I don't like generalizations.

I don't think all VR fans are boring and mildly amusing just because you are.

If some guy, who in my opinion has limited talent, says he made a classic album with his band, I react differently to compared to when somebody who has proven to be able to write classic songs says similar things.

Would I find it funny if Bono said he had written a song that he thinks will be remembered in 20 years? No.

Would I react if CC DeVille said it, absolutely.

Also, a 20-something might say one thing and a 40-something might not say the same thing.

So you're not only comparing two different levels of talent, you're also comparing two different people at two different points in their lives.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »

That doesn't mean anything though.

I've never heard of The Black Crowes either in Holland, before my girlfriend introduced me to them.. and they're pretty good. The thing that made GnR so popular was their image. The more different and unique you are, the more widely known you'll get.

For instance, everybody knows Marilyn Manson  Grin Whether they hate him or not, doesn't matter.. everybody seems to know about him.

no, my point was.

Bands that usally wrote classic albums, get known everywhere, and are still known years later, gnr have that status, just like the rolling stones, aerosmith etc. STP do not ,meaning just cause they are played in america doesnt mean scotts an amazing composer.

html sucks
shaunbhoy
Banned
Rocker

All HTGTH Moderators are Pussy's

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2007, 07:27:27 AM »

Slash has written some classic songs as well

Can you tell me three of these songs? (They need to be written by him)

So you snivel about your inability to effectively communicate in English, yet you attack somebody else for their semantics?? Youre not even consistent in your insults towards other posters.

You need to know that I perfectly speak spanish. Moreover, I manage to make me understand in english. I think its quite good, I mean, could you discuss this same subjet with me in spanish? So I dont think its funny to make jokes on the way I write in english, when you had lots of other things to quote from my post than this. You chose to quote this to feel you're so smart... good for you.

If you want to discuss how good am I at english, MSN me. If you want to discuss why Slash has never made a classic without Axl, why Slash one day says one thing, a week later another, why you look incredibly ridicule trying to make comparisons between Axl Rose classics/songwriting skills with ... Scott Weiland, then stick to the topic and get rid of your jokes about my english skills.

Slash made the music to SCOM Wink ?that is something he done and l hate to see fuckheads like Finck ruin it Angry

Sometimes l Feel Like I'm Beating A Dead Horse
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2007, 09:05:27 AM »

Slash has written some classic songs as well

Can you tell me three of these songs? (They need to be written by him)

So you snivel about your inability to effectively communicate in English, yet you attack somebody else for their semantics?  Youre not even consistent in your insults towards other posters.

You need to know that I perfectly speak spanish. Moreover, I manage to make me understand in english. I think its quite good, I mean, could you discuss this same subjet with me in spanish? So I dont think its funny to make jokes on the way I write in english, when you had lots of other things to quote from my post than this. You chose to quote this to feel you're so smart... good for you.

If you want to discuss how good am I at english, MSN me. If you want to discuss why Slash has never made a classic without Axl, why Slash one day says one thing, a week later another, why you look incredibly ridicule trying to make comparisons between Axl Rose classics/songwriting skills with ... Scott Weiland, then stick to the topic and get rid of your jokes about my english skills.

Slash made the music to SCOM Wink  that is something he done and l hate to see fuckheads like Finck ruin it Angry

I quite enjoy Finck on SCOM.  I dare say I'm feeling his version moreso than the original.

(hey you brought Robin into this, not me)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »

Not to sound chauvinistic, but Stone Temple Pilots is an American band, so other markets are secondary.  America is where it matters most. 
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »

Will people let this thread die already? What the hell was it even about, now?

Fuck 'Em All.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2007, 10:51:20 AM »

aren't you glad you have an idea of what to expect when it's released?

Yes. I'm ''glad'' (i dont know if that is the word) because I know what to expect, and I dont see myself buying that album now (I already spent a lot of money to see VR live and was a waste of money/time/illusions).

But I'm trying to think as the artist, not as a fan. I still think that, if you want to sell more records, you need to be careful with what you say. Libertad has 13 tracks, right? Slash knows that VR fans have heard three new songs, so they can make their own conclussions about them. So, he should praise unheard songs (he has 10 tracks left), create expectations in the potential buyers, so they will go running to the stores to buy the album ''because VR's main man said that X song is very aggresive, and I must heard that song now''

I think Slash was honest... but not smart. If you want to sell your product, you need to be a little machiavellian. Like I said, I'm trying to put myself in the mind of the artist.

If before the VR show in my country, Slash would have said in a local newspaper ''we are going to do a very boring show, play 50% covers, ruin Wish You Were Here, leave the stage without interacting a single time with the crowd, use a megaphone in almost all songs, and we are gonna be overshadowed by Evanescence'', then:

* Slash would have been honest
* Slash would have been not smart
* I would never have bought my ticket

I think I understand what you're saying now, but I'm still not sure your point of all this.

You think Slash should lie and say "there's more aggressive songs on here than Let It Roll" to sell his upcoming album, but be honest and say "don't come to our crap live show". Huh

And I know it's all down to personal opinion, but I had a fantastic time at the two Sydney shows they played here in 2005. The band sounded awesome and had great crowd interaction, and all the songs they played sounded great, even Wish You Were Here.
Oh, and there was no promise about what I would be getting from those gigs aside from going to see VR live, so I wasn't fooled into thinking I'd get anything other than seeing the band live. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »

Realizing STP were not "HUGE" outside of North America, I'm not sure some of the people who discredit Scott realize just what he accomplished with STP. ?The guy wrote tons of hits, sold millions of records and won a Grammy long before he met up with Slash. ?As Booker mentioned, STP still gets massive airplay here nearly 15 years after their release of "Core", an educated guess would say STP has more songs on more playlists nationwide than GNR. ?Nothing to sneeze at by any means. ?Granted, do their hits hold the same clout as WTTJ, SCOM or PC? ?Probably not,
but I can promise you a number of their hits get more annual spins than "November Rain". ?

Keep this in mind, Slash had little to no success after he quit GNR. ? Nothing memorable to speak of whatsoever. ?Since his partnering with Weiland, he's had a helluva run. ?We know the stats, hit singles, multi platinum record, Grammy etc. ?Most importantly, he's established an identity outside of GNR which is quite an accomplishment in and of itself. ?I seriously doubt Rod Jackson could have propelled him to those heights. ?Let's not kid ourselves, he's always going to be "Slash of VR, formerly of GNR", and in some cases "Slash: formerly of GNR, currently with VR". ?The legacy is too
strong not to be forever tied to it in some fashion.

Will "Slither" still be heard 20 years from now? ?My guess is no. ?Will whatever single(s) GNR has yet to release do the same, ?who knows? ?

Bottom line: ?

Neither will ever reach the levels of success/acclaim apart than they did together, it just won't happen. ?

Don't let the above lead anyone to believe I'm one of those holding onto hopes of a reunion, I'm not. ?I find it much more interesting to watch their story unfold as separate entities in different bands.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »

GNR and VR hype will never be what the original GNR had, but the two bands can make some great music.  I don't want a reunion either

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »

Neither will ever reach the levels of success/acclaim apart than they did together, it just won't happen. 

That fact is what makes it so funny that people around here like to boast about either VR or New GNR's music being better than the others. It is like they are proud to be considered the more mediocre version of the original Guns.

Neither band has written a darn thing that will supplant any of the original GNR's best tunes anytime soon. So arguing between who is the better of the 2 is like arguing who is the first best loser. It's just stupid. Until one of them pens a song that supplants Jungle, PC, SCOM, or NR in the hearts and minds of the general public both bands are essentially failures because it just proves that Axl & Slash needed eachother to make their best music and bring the best out of eachother.
Lethalis
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2007, 01:11:08 PM »

Neither will ever reach the levels of success/acclaim apart than they did together, it just won't happen. 

That fact is what makes it so funny that people around here like to boast about either VR or New GNR's music being better than the others. It is like they are proud to be considered the more mediocre version of the original Guns.

Neither band has written a darn thing that will supplant any of the original GNR's best tunes anytime soon. So arguing between who is the better of the 2 is like arguing who is the first best loser. It's just stupid. Until one of them pens a song that supplants Jungle, PC, SCOM, or NR in the hearts and minds of the general public both bands are essentially failures because it just proves that Axl & Slash needed eachother to make their best music and bring the best out of eachother.
Don't forget about Izzy..
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: