Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60260 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2007, 10:28:06 PM »

If you want to discuss why Slash has never made a classic without Axl..

Do you really wanna go there?

If so, riddle me this:

What "classic' has Axl penned less Slash?

November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. There you have three

You're kidding, right?

Are any of these embedded in the general music listening publics minds?  Beyond NR, would anyone outside the GNR fanbase even recognize the tunes?

So by your definition a song has to be a hit to be a classic? 

Anyway, Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine are famous hits and classic rock tunes that were written by Axl and Izzy so there you have it

Anyway you asked him to name ONE classic that Axl penned without Slash and you admit November Rain is a classic, and Axl wrote that song without Slash so there you have it
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »

Anyway, Don't Cry and You Could Be Mine are famous hits and classic rock tunes that were written by Axl and Izzy so there you have it

Slash had NO creative input?

Anyway you asked him to name ONE classic that Axl penned without Slash and you admit November Rain is a classic, and Axl wrote that song without Slash so there you have it

Hold on there partner, don't put words in my mouth.

I NEVER said NR was a classic.

And again I ask, did Slash have NO creative input whatsoever?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2007, 11:00:42 PM »

Slash had NO creative input?

Hold on there partner, don't put words in my mouth.

I NEVER said NR was a classic.

And again I ask, did Slash have NO creative input whatsoever?

Okay, if November Rain isn't a classic GnR song then what is exactly?  It's probably the most famous GnR song worldwide and is a consensus classic rock tune amongst hardcore GnR fans and just casual fans as well

And you asked "What "classic' has Axl penned less Slash?"

Axl wrote November Rain.  He wrote the piano.  He wrote the orchestration.  He wrote the lyrics.  He's the only person who received a writing credit for the song.  Slash came in and layered guitars over a song Axl had already composed and written on his own, but that wasn't your question.  Same with the way Izzy and Axl wrote You Could Be Mine and Don't Cry.

So your question was answered.  Slash played on those songs so obviously he made contriubtions but that's not what you asked.  There's quite a difference between writing a song, and contributing to a song that's already been written.  Axl and Slash contributed to Patience too.  That doesn't mean they wrote it.  Izzy wrote it
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2007, 11:09:33 PM »

Okay, if November Rain isn't a classic GnR song then what is exactly??

Easy.

WTTJ, SCOM and PC.

Then let me rephrase to satisfy your need to be precise.

What "classic" has Axl penned less Slash's contribution/participation?

Satisfied?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2007, 11:21:05 PM »

Okay, if November Rain isn't a classic GnR song then what is exactly? 

Easy.

WTTJ, SCOM and PC.

Then let me rephrase to satisfy your need to be precise.

What "classic" has Axl penned less Slash's contribution/participation?

Satisfied?

So GnR has 3 classic songs then?  Okay

Axl has proven he can write "excellent" or "classic" songs without Slash's involvement in the songwriting process.  What more of a response do you want?  If Axl had another excellent guitarist lay the guitars down, it would still be a great song.  Whether it would have been as good is impossible to say, we only know what we have, but NR would still have been a great song, I have no doubt about that

I'm not sure what response you're expecting anyway.  First, you're using your own opinion as to what's a classic.   99.9% of Guns N Roses fans would say that NR is a classic, you apparently don't.  Well I commend you for being an individual but I think that the your opinion on that song is not particularly relevant to this discussion.  NR is a "consensus" GnR classic. 

If we're using personal opinions about it, then The Blues and TWAT are classics so there's the answer to your question
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2007, 11:29:01 PM »

I'll agree to disagree on the "classic" discussion.? I have much different ideas on what gets that type of superlative.

Let me state this in simpler, more definable terms.

Since they parted ways, which of the two has accomplished more?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »

If you want to discuss why Slash has never made a classic without Axl..

Do you really wanna go there?

If so, riddle me this:

What "classic' has Axl penned less Slash?

I'm not that schooled on GNR songwriting history so maybe someone could answer, did Axl also write the guitar parts (including solos) for the above?

November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. There you have three

You're kidding, right?

Are any of these embedded in the general music listening publics minds?  Beyond NR, would anyone outside the GNR fanbase even recognize the tunes?

I'm not that schooled on GNR songwriting history so maybe someone could answer, did Axl also write the guitar parts (including solos) for the above?   Are you saying Slash had no creative input on any?

No kidding at all. A great song not necesarily is embebbed in ''the general music listening public minds''. I dont really know what is in the general music listening public minds and what isnt. But November Rain must be one of the top ten most famous tracks in the nineties, and one of the best epic songs in rock history. Trust me: you dont need to be a hardcore GNR fan to worship this song. Everyone knows the song, everyone knows who is the band that did it (unlike lots of very famous songs that people dont know who wrote them) and the whole idea/concept of the song was Axl's creation. He worked on ''his baby'' for years. It is said that Axl started writing the song in 1984. Tracii Guns said that Axl was obsessed with that song. The song itself was made by Axl and his piano. In fact, there is audio available of November Rain with just Axl and a piano. The song is a masterpiece since its conception, and it's Axl's masterpiece. Slash could have never made his outstanding solos without Axl's creation. You do not make a masterpiece with a pair of individual guitar solos. That's why I think Slash needs a brilliant songwritter, and Axl needs himself and a bunch of competent musicians, to be able to keep making great songs. TWAT and Madagascar are there to prove it.. And I'll show you some nice quotes:

Tracii Guns: When we were doing that EP for L.A. Guns, like '83? He was playing "November Rain" - and it was called "November Rain" ... you know, on piano. Way back then. It was the only thing he knew how to play, but it was his. He'd go: Someday this song is gonna be really cool. And I'd go: It's cool now. But it's not done, you know, he used to say. And like anytime we'd be at a hotel or anywhere there'd be a piano, he'd just kinda play that music. And I'd go: When are you gonna finish that already, you know? And he'd go: I don't know what to do with it.

Slash: It's a song that when it first surfaced it was Axl playing the piano

Axl: If it's not recorded right, I'll quit the business.

Matt: The first time I heard "November Rain," I thought: 'What is this shit?, What is Axl doing behind the piano? I want rock!' But I was new in GNR and I thought 'Matt, you leave The Cult and now you're in the greatest hard rock band of the world' He sat at the piano and I was thinking 'This is shit.' Then the song came out, and it's the biggest thing we've ever done! That's why I have this attitude: 'OK Axl, you think we should do that? I'm with you.'

Axl: I feel "November Rain" and "Estranged" have a chance at getting embedded in music culture, so I'm gonna fight for them and seed them with as many people as possible. I get bummed when I hear a great track off a record and the artist says, "Yeah, but the public wasn't into it." I'm like, what do you mean? The public wasn't into "Jungle," either.

I think that Estranged and Breakdown are at more or less the same level than November Rain. Breakdown, in my opinion, has the best lyrics ever in a GNR song, but it is not ''embebbed in people's mind'' like NR. Same for Estranged. But that applies to non GNR fans, but we know how great are these songs, we know who wrote them, and we also know, after hearing Snakepit/VR, that ''hell yes, now I clearly see who was [still is] the brilliant mind in GNR''

That's why these three songs are credited ''Rose'' and no more names. There are ''Rose'' songs, as well as ''Stradlin'' and we have ''So Fine'' for Duff. What about Slash? Slash is a superb guitarist, but he's not a songwritter! That is not a sin, its just how things are! He's not like George Harrison or David Gilmour who are guitar icons that also can make masterpieces in their owns. But I repeat: I'm just saying what I see. Slash never wrote a song like ''November Rain'' in his own (like Axl did) or with other musicians. The best Slash appeared with Axl and then dissapeared. Unless you think that ''Been There Lately'' (the best Snakepit hard rock song IMO) and ''Illegal i Song'' are masterpieces at the same level of November Rain (or Estranged, Breakdown, TWAT, etc)

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2007, 11:39:52 PM »

Since they parted ways, which of the two has accomplished more?

Slash has released a lot more music.  Axl has written and recorded higher quality music despite not releasing it officially.  The 2006 GnR tour was also more successful than the Contraband tour, GnR has also headlined major rock festivals which is something none of the former members have done at least to my knowledge since leaving GnR
slashvr86
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2007, 11:56:41 PM »

but u gotta understand that hes got the GUNS N ROSES name which has the popularity.  and those songs mentioned are based on piano written by axl so how can u compare to been there lately or illegal i song which are all guitar based. its like comparing apples to oranges. i like both but i cant really say ones better then the other  Wink both bands play totally different styles of music
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2007, 12:22:30 AM »

Slash has released a lot more music.?

Some of which that has produced a Number 1 multi platinum album, a couple number 1 rock singles and a Grammy award.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Axl has written and recorded higher quality music despite not releasing it officially.?

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:26:00 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2007, 12:32:38 AM »

Slash has released a lot more music. 

Some of which that has produced a Number 1 multi platinum album, a couple number 1 rock singles and a Grammy award.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Axl has written and recorded higher quality music despite not releasing it officially.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

You know, it's fucking good to see a mod defending VR.

I love GNR. But, VR has done wayyyyy more thus far.

And November Rain's solo is often what people remember about the song.. Slash outside the church. It's ionic. You couldn't just "have another player do it." You people who try to downplay Slash's contributions to the original band blow my freaking head away.

gnrevolution.com
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2007, 12:46:42 AM »

I'd like to say just a thing, November Rain and Estranged without the Slash' solos would been NOTHING.

I know, Slash knows, estebanf knows and I am sure that Axl knows.

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »

You people who try to downplay Slash's contributions to the original band blow my freaking head away.

I'm not downplaying Slash's contributions nor am I saying that his solo wasn't an important part of the song.  But if, say, Brian May had laid down an epic solo over the same track are you telling me that November Rain would cease to be a great song?  It would just be an average, everyday song?  Slash added to the song, his solos on there and the guitar in the outro are awesome.  All I'm trying to say is that Axl wrote and composed the song, and had created a brilliant piece of music before Slash added to it
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2007, 12:55:02 AM »

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell Booker he's pathetic for doing so.

For what? If you check this thread, it was estebanf who started the comparison:

About saying a thing like that about one of the three only new songs we know, I honestly think its not a smart move. If ''The Blues'' is the best song in CD, I dont want to know it. I expect more than that, we all do. Is it any bad what Im saying?

Apparently, Jarmo you don't seem to understand what I was saying. I'm not against talking about Axl or CD in the VR section. But unfortunately, nobody can say 'Axl' or 'Slash' in the same sentence without dissing one or the other and eventually threads end up like this one.
Comprende?

Fuck 'Em All.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2007, 12:58:43 AM »

I'd like to say just a thing, November Rain and Estranged without the Slash' solos would been NOTHING.

Okay, so if Axl had written those songs and handed them to Brian May and asked him to lay guitars over them, they'd be nothing?  There's no other guitarist who could have laid down quality music over those songs? 
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2007, 01:05:03 AM »

Okay, so if Axl had written those songs and handed them to Brian May and asked him to lay guitars over them, they'd be nothing?? There's no other guitarist who could have laid down quality music over those songs??

Whatever, my point is that these songs are "GREAT" cause' were created for a whole band, called GUNS N' ROSES, they didn't create for an only person.

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »

Okay, so if Axl had written those songs and handed them to Brian May and asked him to lay guitars over them, they'd be nothing?  There's no other guitarist who could have laid down quality music over those songs? 

Whatever, my point is that these songs are "GREAT" cause' were created for a whole band

That is simply not true. ''November Rain'' is an Axl Rose creation, recorded/performed by a band.

There is no kind of controversy around this among GNR fans... everybody knows NR is his baby. Have you downloaded ''Use Your Illusion I'' in mp3 format or what? If you have a real copy, take a quick look at the booklet  ok

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2007, 01:36:37 AM »

I have to agree with Jarmo.

Boasting is one thing but Axl's boasts are dead on the money.

What song will scott be remembered for?

WTTJ,SCOM,PC,NR will be hard by our great great great grandchildren.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2007, 01:50:10 AM »

Okay, so if Axl had written those songs and handed them to Brian May and asked him to lay guitars over them, they'd be nothing?? There's no other guitarist who could have laid down quality music over those songs??

Whatever, my point is that these songs are "GREAT" cause' were created for a whole band

That is simply not true. ''November Rain'' is an Axl Rose creation, recorded/performed by a band.

There is no kind of controversy around this among GNR fans... everybody knows NR is his baby. Have you downloaded ''Use Your Illusion I'' in mp3 format or what? If you have a real copy, take a quick look at the booklet  ok

that means that Axl created  the guitar solos and riffs right?, answer me honey  smoking

I sure that band granted the rigths to Axl because he was the lead creater of November Rain or Estranged, I bet it.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2007, 02:16:48 AM »

Lots of times, Songs are credited to who created the base music,lyrics and melodies.

Solos are sometimes considered extras and arent credited as songwriters.

Like a Drummer usually doesnt get credit even though they almost always make up the beats.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: