Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 60315 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2007, 07:45:24 PM »

If you want to discuss why Slash has never made a classic without Axl..

Do you really wanna go there?

If so, riddle me this:

What "classic' has Axl penned less Slash?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2007, 08:11:22 PM »

Can you tell me three of these songs? (They need to be written by him)

Pick virtually any GNR classic (unless you contend, which you might, that Axl wrote them all by himself). 

So I dont think its funny to make jokes on the way I write in english

But you do think its funny, or fair, to belittle others about what they allegedly dont know about certain words meanings - that was the point.  You tried calling out somebody over a words definition, got called out yourself for another hypocritical display, and now youre back to sniveling.  Im unmoved.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »

If so, riddle me this:

We will know the answer to that once CD is released, but judging the leaks we have heard so far I think Better and Madagascar are strong contenders to become classics...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2007, 08:35:42 PM »

If so, riddle me this:

November Rain
You Could Be Mine (with Izzy)
Estranged
Don't Cry (with Izzy)
My Michelle (with Izzy)

And yes Slash did play on these songs but he didn't write them.  And time will tell but the yet to be released album has some future classics on it for sure.  This is all opinion but to me some of the new songs are neck and neck with the best material of the old band
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2007, 08:36:28 PM »

Cool. Stay with your ''democracy'' (the inclusion of that word to exemplify a rock band metodology is already very stupid, and suggests me that you do not have a fucking idea of the meaning of that complex word) and keep listening to mediocre songs. How many people said in this forum that Guns N' Roses was an Axl Rose ''dictatorship'' in the illusion era? Well, I prefer that ''dictatorship'' with songs like Estranged, November Rain, Breakdown, Dead Horse, etc and not a ''democracy'' with crap songs like ''Spectacle'', ''Come On Come In'' or ''Let It Roll''.

Ehm are you trying to say that I do not know what Democracy is/means?....I used that terminology to keep it simple for you, hoping that you would understand what I was trying to say....

And I'll sure as hell stick with my "Democracy" because some of the best songs ever written originated from bands that followed the "rules of Democracy".....
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »

If so, riddle me this:

The Blues
Catcher In The Rye
Better (although that seems to be mostly Robin)

And the album hasnt' even been released yet. 
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »

If so, riddle me this:

November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. There you have three

And There Was A Time, Madagascar and Better (with Robin) only need to be on the stores to become classics.

I do not have an album of Axl without Slash yet, and I already can answer your question.

See you  ok

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »

I love how the only argument a Slash fan can make to defend Slash is to point out things about Axl.

everyone of these threads in the VR section one of these guys always bring up GnR/Axl, never fails.  Otherwise they have no argument.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2007, 08:55:11 PM »

I love how the only argument a Slash fan can make to defend Slash is to point out things about Axl.

everyone of these threads in the VR section one of these guys always bring up GnR/Axl, never fails.  Otherwise they have no argument.

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell Booker he's pathetic for doing so.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »

everyone of these threads in the VR section one of these guys always bring up GnR/Axl, never fails.? Otherwise they have no argument.

/jarmo

I can do it J-man, but i'm sure i'd get smited for it  rofl

Booker you're pathetic for doing that Wink

I just find this whole never ending argument pathetic
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »

Funny...I didnt expect you to offer a real response.

Im still waiting for you to explain how I tried to discredit Axl.  Youre attempting to spin this as me attacking Axl to defend VR, however no attack was made.  In your rush to judgment, you might have simply failed to realize this.  I have no problem with Scotts comments, therefore I have no problem with Axls and didnt imply otherwise.  Once again, you made the negative allusion to Scott and I felt obligated to inform you that similar statements have been made by artists you like.  Then your entire argument shifted and you havent regained your footing since. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »

I answered that question the first time I pointed out exactly why in my opinion his comment was amusing.

Since you're such a master of the quotes, go look for it.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »

It's not even about being a Slash or Axl fan, I'm a fan of both.  For a while I was skeptical about how Axl would do without Slash.  After hearing the new material Axl's recorded, which we haven't even heard final versions of, and hearing all the stuff Slash has put out in the same time frame it's pretty clear to me that Slash needed Axl in order to make great songs more than Axl needed Slash to make great songs

Slash's consistency as far as creating great riffs and solos has tumbled considerably.  Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies are as good as they ever were, and Axl's new music is more in tune with what GnR was about in terms of vibe, if not musical style, than what Slash has done since then.  For example Better doesn't really sound like an old GnR song in a musical sense, but it still has that classic GnR characteristic of managing to kick ass while being catchy, having pop appeal without being corny, and of course replay value.  Then there's a song like The Blues which could've been taken right off Use Your Illusion, and which would have been one of the best songs on those albums. 

A lot of what Slash has done since departing GnR has been, for lack of a better word, generic.  The Snakepit albums were a couple great songs shuffled in with a bunch of ones that ranged from "so so" to "pretty good".  Contraband was a good album but with a few exceptions was a generic hard rock album.  And while I really liked Contraband when it first came out, and still think it's a good album, it doesn't have much replay value.  When it first came out I think I got caught up in the excitement of a new album featuring Slash, Duff and Matt that I may have overrated it.  Now, roughly three years, it's just another good but unremarkable album in my collection that rarely sees the light of day

Of course this is all opinion.  But I can't see how anyone could say that Slash's guitarwork since leaving GnR is even close to what it was when he was in GnR
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »

It's not even about being a Slash or Axl fan, I'm a fan of both.  For a while I was skeptical about how Axl would do without Slash.  After hearing the new material Axl's recorded, which we haven't even heard final versions of, and hearing all the stuff Slash has put out in the same time frame it's pretty clear to me that Slash needed Axl in order to make great songs more than Axl needed Slash to make great songs

Slash's consistency as far as creating great riffs and solos has tumbled considerably.  Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies are as good as they ever were, and Axl's new music is more in tune with what GnR was about in terms of vibe, if not musical style, than what Slash has done since then.  For example Better doesn't really sound like an old GnR song in a musical sense, but it still has that classic GnR characteristic of managing to kick ass while being catchy, having pop appeal without being corny, and of course replay value.  Then there's a song like The Blues which could've been taken right off Use Your Illusion, and which would have been one of the best songs on those albums. 

A lot of what Slash has done since departing GnR has been, for lack of a better word, generic.  The Snakepit albums were a couple great songs shuffled in with a bunch of ones that ranged from "so so" to "pretty good".  Contraband was a good album but with a few exceptions was a generic hard rock album.  And while I really liked Contraband when it first came out, and still think it's a good album, it doesn't have much replay value.  When it first came out I think I got caught up in the excitement of a new album featuring Slash, Duff and Matt that I may have overrated it.  Now, roughly three years, it's just another good but unremarkable album in my collection that rarely sees the light of day

Of course this is all opinion.  But I can't see how anyone could say that Slash's guitarwork since leaving GnR is even close to what it was when he was in GnR

This is one of the best posts I've ever read. Well said mate.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »

everyone of these threads in the VR section one of these guys always bring up GnR/Axl, never fails.? Otherwise they have no argument.

It's not even about being a Slash or Axl fan, I'm a fan of both.? For a while I was skeptical about how Axl would do without Slash.? After hearing the new material Axl's recorded, which we haven't even heard final versions of, and hearing all the stuff Slash has put out in the same time frame it's pretty clear to me that Slash needed Axl in order to make great songs more than Axl needed Slash to make great songs rofl rofl rofl hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl
 hihi hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl hihi hihi hihi
 hihi hihi rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl hihi hihi hihi rofl rofl hihi hihi rofl

Slash's consistency as far as creating great riffs and solos has tumbled considerably.? Axl's lyrics and vocal melodies are as good as they ever were, and Axl's new music is more in tune with what GnR was about in terms of vibe, if not musical style, than what Slash has done since then.? For example Better doesn't really sound like an old GnR song in a musical sense, but it still has that classic GnR characteristic of managing to kick ass while being catchy, having pop appeal without being corny, and of course replay value.? Then there's a song like The Blues which could've been taken right off Use Your Illusion, and which would have been one of the best songs on those albums.?

A lot of what Slash has done since departing GnR has been, for lack of a better word, generic.? The Snakepit albums were a couple great songs shuffled in with a bunch of ones that ranged from "so so" to "pretty good".? Contraband was a good album but with a few exceptions was a generic hard rock album.? And while I really liked Contraband when it first came out, and still think it's a good album, it doesn't have much replay value.? When it first came out I think I got caught up in the excitement of a new album featuring Slash, Duff and Matt that I may have overrated it.? Now, roughly three years, it's just another good but unremarkable album in my collection that rarely sees the light of day

Of course this is all opinion.? But I can't see how anyone could say that Slash's guitarwork since leaving GnR is even close to what it was when he was in GnR

This is one of the best posts I've ever read. Well said mate.
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »

What a sad state of affairs.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2007, 09:35:36 PM »

I'm a fan of both as well, I guess the word I could have used was "Axl hater" instead.   "Slash fan" was more a nice way to say something else.. lol

i'm trying not to get any more smites.   

Anyways I agree completely with what you are saying in this post.  Well done.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2007, 09:35:59 PM »

What a sad state of affairs.

please.. by all means.  go deeper.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »

And the album hasnt' even been released yet.?

No "classics" yet, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Time will be the judge, we'll know in about 20 years I suppose.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2007, 10:20:59 PM »

If so, riddle me this:

I'm not that schooled on GNR songwriting history so maybe someone could answer, did Axl also write the guitar parts (including solos) for the above?

November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown. There you have three

You're kidding, right?

Are any of these embedded in the general music listening publics minds?? Beyond NR, would anyone outside the GNR fanbase even recognize the tunes?

I'm not that schooled on GNR songwriting history so maybe someone could answer, did Axl also write the guitar parts (including solos) for the above?? ?Are you saying Slash had no creative input on any?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:29:47 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: