Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash solo's while in VR live in concert recently
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash solo's while in VR live in concert recently  (Read 18530 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »

Slash wrote a lot of great guitar stuff since the UYIs. Anyone who thinks that Neither Can I, Beggars, Be The Ball (yes, Be The Ball), Back and Forth Again, Shine, Ain't Life Grand, Serial Killer, Obsession or YGNR isn't a masterpiece is tone deaf or his/her hatred doesn't let him realize the obvious. Slash made big in these songs. Very big. All would have been flawless GN'R songs with Axl singing. Slash's post GN'R work (well, Snakepit and not VR) musically far better than the UYI stuff in overall. (Cannot be said the same about lyrics and vocal melodies though.)
BTW I agree with those who say that a great singer (like Axl) can motivate him to do even better - but sometimes you can't top what he did. How could anything better than Neither Can I, Shine or Serial Killer? Well, it can't be better since his playing is perfect in the mentioned songs.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2007, 05:21:53 PM »

That is right, but like Jarmo said, after Slash quitted GNR, he never had a masterpiece to produce a masterpiece solo. It's quite simple.

For example, I find ''Fall To Pieces'' solo fantastic. But that's all you can do with an average/mediocre song like that. Slash was a monster, a guitar god, when he had the chance to make solos for previously made masterpieces. That's when Slash is really at his best. I listen to November Rain played entirely in piano and I find it a masterpiece anyway. Of course, the incredible Slash's guitar parts brings the song to another (higher) level. But what can you do with a song like ''She Build Quick Machines''?

Slash is a beast, a great guitarist, but he's like the old Michael Jordan playing for the Washington Wizards. Slash needs a brilliant songwriter to be at his best. And Im not talking specifically about Axl as THAT brilliant songwriter. For example, Slash's solo in Michael Jackson's ''Give In To Me'' is probably on of the best of his career, and one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. That's because, again, Slash worked on a masterpiece made by a genius.

That's basically why I think that Slash is losing his time next to Scott Weiland.

Normally I don't agree with your posts but I do agree with this one except for the NR part but hey that's a matter of opinion, Good post mate? ok

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:19 PM »

you are an absolute idiot. 

Chill with the name calling.

And i dont care if I get karma for it, it needs to be said.

Your wish is...

and thats fine, I expected it.  But he is no worse for mocking me for supporting the guys who are actually in the band now.   And for bringing Axl/GnR/Robin Finck into the VR section.  Something I never mentioned, this was supposed to be about Slash.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:07 PM »

Slash is good, but there are much better guitarists out there.? ?

Funny you say that, because the reason I like Slash is and has never been because of how good he supposedly is when put up against other guitarists.

But when it comes to style, tone and technique and the sound he creates, not many can touch him.
He manages to sound sloppy and tight at the same time if that makes any sense. A pure rock n' roll sound.

And Slash has a sound and style that is unmistakably him.
Can't say that about too many other guitar players.

Couldn't have said it better myself ok peace
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:41 PM »

100% agree with the poster above.

Theres tons of guys out there who can play faster than slash or more technically than slash....but slash has unique tone, can get such an emotive blues vibe, has a distinctive attack to his playing, and as you said that rock slopyness yhat really works for him so damn well.....

Anyway...is good to see Slash "is back", mind you I dont think he really went anywhere I think its just that he'd been playing a style of music recently that doesn't show off his skills quite as much. When i saw VR a few times in concert I was struck by how much more slash kickass playing there seemed to be live than on the record...still not as much as in GNR...but I think part of the problem is that contraband is mixed in too much of a grungy way.

Anyway...i'm hopeful from what we've seen that libertad will feature some classic slash playing in the style of AFD, UYI and 5 O'clock somewhere....

I'd agree the songs off contraband sounded much better live than on cd....saw them 3x's Electric factory, Spectrum, and Starland NYE. Wink
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »

But, Live, so far, this is the best he has sounded to me in the consistency dept.  He is such a bad ass.  I love this tone so far as well.  The new solos sound a little more difficult as well and his new Set Me Free solo is better.  He sounds more like the 1993 UYI Slash.

All of the solos in the video you posted are from one show, are they not?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2007, 10:27:21 PM »

Slash is without question my favorite musician ever. Note that I said Favorite and not best ever. It's not just knowing what to play, it's knowing how and why it needs to be played. That being said if GnR never existed I don't think anyone would rank him all that high based off Contraband. I like VR alot (altho pretty disappointed by all the libertad stuff I have heard so far) but it seems like an awkward fit to me. And even as a big STP fan growing up I must say I have always thought the greatest frontmen ever know that there needs to be a time and place for the guitar and Scott doesn't. Bon Scott let Angus go nuts for the 2nd half of "whole lotta rosie", (By the way whoever said Angus doesn't have any memorable solos should probably do a little research and check that one out) Robert Plant let Jimmy Page shine for countless songs and so forth. Axl Knew that pretty well too. I think he may have been the biggest fan of Slash's playing back in the day. The songs Axl wrote by himself all left big spaces for Slash to do his thing.
And on the original topic I saw VR twice and really loved it the first time when him and Dave were trading solos during "Set me Free". Best Slash Solos in VR: No More No More, Slither, Money.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »

Axl can create great songs without Slash, Some of the new ones are fantastic but every new song outside of Better lacks something that Im not sure even the most die hard Axl fan can deny.

I listen to some of the new tracks and just think to myself what they would sound like with Slash.

TWAT is ok, personally it isnt a top 20 GNR song, the solo is good but nowhere near the level of GNR classics same with Catcher,The Blues, Madagascar.

IRS is decent but still none of these songs outside of "Better" really have a riff to speak of which concerns me a little.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »

he probably has just as many memorable solos as slash to me.
"do you think of Angus Young when you think of great guitar solos?"  Roll Eyes
yes........yes i do. and many people would agree. MAAAAANY people.

Perphaps, music is subjective after all. Maybe the example was bad but Angus doesn't do anything for me.

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:34 AM »

Axl can create great songs without Slash, Some of the new ones are fantastic but every new song outside of Better lacks something that Im not sure even the most die hard Axl fan can deny.

I listen to some of the new tracks and just think to myself what they would sound like with Slash.

TWAT is ok, personally it isnt a top 20 GNR song, the solo is good but nowhere near the level of GNR classics same with Catcher,The Blues, Madagascar.

IRS is decent but still none of these songs outside of "Better" really have a riff to speak of which concerns me a little.

what the fuck?  you are going on and on about Axl and GnR in the vr section. Shut the fuck up about it.    No, not all of us think anything is missing from these songs, GnR doesn't need Slash.  fuck man.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2007, 11:09:50 PM »

So u can have an opinion and we are all suppose to respect that but I can't have one?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2007, 11:26:28 PM »

It'd better if we wouldn't talk about Axl's new songs here. There are plenty of topics for that.

BTW I appreciate Wheres Izzy's post, it was a great one!  ok

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: