Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash solo's while in VR live in concert recently
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash solo's while in VR live in concert recently  (Read 18579 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »

yeah 'cuz jarmo was the one mentioning those gnr songs first? Roll Eyes

Oh, we can't mention GN'R songs now? Get a clue. Maybe I should highlight the part I was referring to:

Two of those songs were mostly written by a guy who's not in VR and Slash hasn't produced solos like that since.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »

Two of those songs were mostly written by a guy who's not in VR and Slash hasn't produced solos like that since.

Look who's turning this into an Axl vs Slash thread again...

Oh shut up. D was baiting Jim Bob to get negative karma by starting the whole GN'R mention.

If you're gonna credit Slash for those solos, keep in mind that somebody had to write the songs first.

There would be no NR solo if there was no NR.

Since VR has no NR, there's no solo like that on Contraband.

D can say what he wants about Slash's playing, but if you don't want Axl to be mentioned make sure to mention songs/solos that had nothing to do with Axl.

In recent years, I haven't heard him do anything that good. Am I allowed to say that Genesis or will you be upset?

The Hendrix tribute was great though. The solo in "Money" was cool.....

So remember, if you don't want GN'R mentions here, don't mention GN'R songs in the first place.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2007, 12:10:17 PM »

Oh shut up. D was baiting Jim Bob to get negative karma by starting the whole GN'R mention.

You're his big brother now? Plenty of us can have decent discussions and arguments without calling somebody else an "absolute idiot", that too in his second response.

If you're gonna credit Slash for those solos, keep in mind that somebody had to write the songs first.

Wow, I just don't see your logic. You need to have a great song to have a great solo? Hmmm...

Take Angus Young for instance. AC/DC have written numerous songs, classics even. Any solo of his stand out for you? Do you think of Angus, when talking of the greatest guitar solos written? Not.

It all depends on the guitarist's talent.

In recent years, I haven't heard him do anything that good. Am I allowed to say that Genesis or will you be upset?

Absolutely not, you're entitled to your own opinion. ok

So remember, if you don't want GN'R mentions here, don't mention GN'R songs in the first place.  ok

Nobody has a problem with GN'R mentions here. It's just a few *cough* Axl kiss asses who seem to ruin every legitimate thread.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »

It's just a few *cough* Axl kiss asses who seem to ruin every legitimate thread.

-1 for insults.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 12:18:18 PM »

-1 for insults.

Reply to the post instead of hiding behind your karma.

Fuck 'Em All.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »

-1 for insults.

Reply to the post instead of hiding behind your karma.

It's hard to reply to your posts or take anything you say seriously when you have to insult others just because they have a different opinion than you.

AC/DC is also off topic in the VR section.

I don't think it's a good idea to bring other bands into this section right?

/jarmo

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »

It's hard to reply to your posts or take anything you say seriously when you have to insult others just because they have a different opinion than you.

Funny how that never bothers you when a certain 'Finckadelic' poster makes his posts.

AC/DC is also off topic in the VR section.
I don't think it's a good idea to bring other bands into this section right?

Yeah, misdirection is a great way to escape when you don't have anything to say. I guess it takes a big person to admit when somebody else has a valid point, but then that wouldn't be you, would it?

Fuck 'Em All.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »

Without Slash's solos I would fall asleep while listening NR. Nuff said. 

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »

I think he's a great guitar player, but there's a shit load of great guitar players out there. It takes a bit more than just skill for playing the guitar in my opinion to get to the top.

It doesn't hurt if you have somebody pushing you, telling you what you just played was great or motivating you.

A solo is just a solo unless you have a great song around it. Then it becomes something else.... Maybe even a classic like the songs mentioned above.
/jarmo

Slash produced some amazing work whilst in GNR but my personal opinion is that the stuff I've heard from him in VR hasn't come anywhere near the same calibre.? I'm sure that there'll be some on here who'll vehemently disagree with me but my personal thought is along the lines of what you said above, Jarmo, about motivation.? I still believe that Slash has the potential to create more great work but on present evidence, I can't see him achieving this with his current band.

I feel that perhaps he is content to play what is comfortable and familiar and that it's only when he's pushed to dig a little deeper that we get to hear what he's truly capable of.? Whether it's the carrot or stick approach that works best with him I wouldn't know, but agree that a song needs to be more than the sum of its parts if it's to become one of the 'classics'.

Again it's just my personal opinion (and a purely selfish one too), but I wish Slash could find himself musical partners who'd inspire and encourage him to reach for the stars, if only to hear once more an unfamiliar track playing somewhere and just know instinctively, somewhere deep at gut level, that it's the man himself exchanging heart and soul for a few minutes of pure musical genius.

But, then again, maybe he's happy with the way things are..

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »

You're his big brother now? Plenty of us can have decent discussions and arguments without calling somebody else an "absolute idiot", that too in his second response.

Wow, I just don't see your logic. You need to have a great song to have a great solo? Hmmm...

Take Angus Young for instance. AC/DC have written numerous songs, classics even. Any solo of his stand out for you? Do you think of Angus, when talking of the greatest guitar solos written? Not.

It all depends on the guitarist's talent.

Absolutely not, you're entitled to your own opinion. ok

Nobody has a problem with GN'R mentions here. It's just a few *cough* Axl kiss asses who seem to ruin every legitimate thread.

are you serious about angus young's solo's? ofcourse he has some great solos. he always makes some lists of great solos.

i could hum his solos from all of their hits. shook me all night long, back in black, highway to hell etc.

he probably has just as many memorable solos as slash to me.

"do you think of Angus Young when you think of great guitar solos?"  Roll Eyes

yes........yes i do. and many people would agree. MAAAAANY people.
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »

Without Slash's solos I would fall asleep while listening NR. Nuff said.?

Finally I see a sensible post in this thread, it's the same for me with all the epics if it wasn't for the guitar they would probably bore me to death...
LT4
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »

Slash produced some amazing work whilst in GNR but my personal opinion is that the stuff I've heard from him in VR hasn't come anywhere near the same calibre.? I'm sure that there'll be some on here who'll vehemently disagree with me but my personal thought is along the lines of what you said above, Jarmo, about motivation.? I still believe that Slash has the potential to create more great work but on present evidence, I can't see him achieving this with his current band.

I feel that perhaps he is content to play what is comfortable and familiar and that it's only when he's pushed to dig a little deeper that we get to hear what he's truly capable of.? Whether it's the carrot or stick approach that works best with him I wouldn't know, but agree that a song needs to be more than the sum of its parts if it's to become one of the 'classics'.

Again it's just my personal opinion (and a purely selfish one too), but I wish Slash could find himself musical partners who'd inspire and encourage him to reach for the stars, if only to hear once more an unfamiliar track playing somewhere and just know instinctively, somewhere deep at gut level, that it's the man himself exchanging heart and soul for a few minutes of pure musical genius.

But, then again, maybe he's happy with the way things are..

I couldn't agree more. ?Slash is my favorite guitar player without question. Though it wasn't his
work on VR that led me to this conclusion. ?I really believe that it was Axl who was pushing him
to get the very best. ?In Axls absence he has relaxed a bit, which is deserved. ?I hope that he can
find the inspirational muse as Axl provided (my opinion) to elevate his music to the noteworthy
status we believe. ?I'm hoping for a lot from Libertad but in the back of my mind I fear it will be
just another album. ?My favorite playing would include his work on "Hey Joe", and those short
pieces of work in the UYI DVD's i.e. "Wild Horses" "the Godfather Theme" and the outro (sp) to
"Double Talkin Jive" ?It is this level of work I hope to find in Libertad. ?

LT4 ? ?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

Jimi Page hasnt had a great guitar riff since Led Zeppelin so does that mean he is no longer a great all time legend guitar player?

November Rain came on the radio at work the other day, and u know when a song goes off how everyone around u will get it stuck in their head and sing it all day long?

This proves absolutely nothing but NOT ONE p erson sang,whistled or hummed the lyrics or vocals. Every single person I heard the rest of the day were humming the guitar solo.

Slash has that uncanny ability to produce a solo that is a masterpiece inside a masterpiece.

U take his work away from NR and Estranged and they are still great songs but Slash's work elevated them from 8's to 10's in my opinion.

Slash may have not done a lot of great things since GNR but what the hell has Axl done since Slash left?? Axl hasnt exactly had overwhelming successs since Slash left either. Its just somewhat ridiculous to me at this point to compare guys who have released Zero material to an all time great. Outside of "Better" i have yet to hear anything impressive at all from the new guitarists. The songs like Maddy/the Blues etc are great cause of Axl but there really isnt any memorable riff or solo to speak of.

Slash never has to play guitar again and he will always be a legend based on his GNR work. The new guys have A LOT of work to do before even being mentioned in the same sentence. Basically all they have in common is workin with Axl at this point and thats where all the comparisons stop at this time.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:20:24 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »

Slash has that uncanny ability to produce a solo that is a masterpiece inside a masterpiece.

That is right, but like Jarmo said, after Slash quitted GNR, he never had a masterpiece to produce a masterpiece solo. It's quite simple.

For example, I find ''Fall To Pieces'' solo fantastic. But that's all you can do with an average/mediocre song like that. Slash was a monster, a guitar god, when he had the chance to make solos for previously made masterpieces. That's when Slash is really at his best. I listen to November Rain played entirely in piano and I find it a masterpiece anyway. Of course, the incredible Slash's guitar parts brings the song to another (higher) level. But what can you do with a song like ''She Build Quick Machines''?

Slash is a beast, a great guitarist, but he's like the old Michael Jordan playing for the Washington Wizards. Slash needs a brilliant songwriter to be at his best. And Im not talking specifically about Axl as THAT brilliant songwriter. For example, Slash's solo in Michael Jackson's ''Give In To Me'' is probably on of the best of his career, and one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. That's because, again, Slash worked on a masterpiece made by a genius.

That's basically why I think that Slash is losing his time next to Scott Weiland.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

to me this is plain easy to discuss... both Slash and Axl need each other to make fucking great music with great quality. That?s it... ok u got some leaks of CD which are good and you got Slither and other kick ass songs in Contraband but none of those can compare to those songs which were the product of those two guys working together... this is it. Now I really dont get why we always end up discussing the same stuff over and over again. Why cant we enjoy what both bands are doing at the time (especially VR atm) peacefully? And concerning Slash?s techniques and skills, well besides Jimmy Hendrix and Page I can?t think of any other guys who can?t stand up to Slash. Just my opinion. Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »

That is right, but like Jarmo said, after Slash quitted GNR, he never had a masterpiece to produce a masterpiece solo. It's quite simple.

For example, I find ''Fall To Pieces'' solo fantastic. But that's all you can do with an average/mediocre song like that. Slash was a monster, a guitar god, when he had the chance to make solos for previously made masterpieces. That's when Slash is really at his best. I listen to November Rain played entirely in piano and I find it a masterpiece anyway. Of course, the incredible Slash's guitar parts brings the song to another (higher) level. But what can you do with a song like ''She Build Quick Machines''?

Slash is a beast, a great guitarist, but he's like the old Michael Jordan playing for the Washington Wizards. Slash needs a brilliant songwriter to be at his best. And Im not talking specifically about Axl as THAT brilliant songwriter. For example, Slash's solo in Michael Jackson's ''Give In To Me'' is probably on of the best of his career, and one of the most beautiful solos I've ever heard. That's because, again, Slash worked on a masterpiece made by a genius.

That's basically why I think that Slash is losing his time next to Scott Weiland.

I can agree with that 100 percent. Great Post. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »

to me this is plain easy to discuss... both Slash and Axl need each other to make fucking great music with great quality.

Well, that is just your opinion, because to my eyes songs like TWAT, Better, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues and CITR are ''great music'', and the last thing I think when I hear these songs is Slash... More than that: I think TWAT and Madagascar should be in an all time top 10 GNR songs, and the solos in TWAT (specially), Maddy, Better and The Blues are outstanding, very soulful solos played by very talented guitarists.

Note that I mentioned the 75% of the new songs we know, and I'm judging DEMOS. Your comparison between the unfinished leaked tracks and a finished studio version like Slither makes me think I am not too wrong.

Axl Rose is NOT unable to make great music without Slash. To be honest, I'm very happy of the new musical direction GNR is having. I dont want to think in the possibility of a reunited AFD lineup making songs like Spectacle/Illegal i, instead of songs like TWAT and Maddy...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2007, 04:09:43 PM »

to me this is plain easy to discuss... both Slash and Axl need each other to make fucking great music with great quality.

Well, that is just your opinion, because to my eyes songs like TWAT, Better, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues and CITR are ''great music'', and the last thing I think when I hear these songs is Slash... More than that: I think TWAT and Madagascar should be in an all time top 10 GNR songs, and the solos in TWAT (specially), Maddy, Better and The Blues are outstanding, very soulful solos played by very talented guitarists.

Note that I mentioned the 75% of the new songs we know, and I'm judging DEMOS. Your comparison between the unfinished leaked tracks and a finished studio version like Slither makes me think I am not too wrong.

Axl Rose is NOT unable to make great music without Slash. To be honest, I'm very happy of the new musical direction GNR is having. I dont want to think in the possibility of a reunited AFD lineup making songs like Spectacle/Illegal i, instead of songs like TWAT and Maddy...

well... that?s ur opinion and I respect that. but I really don?t agree with it. I can?t put TWAT (though I think its the best new song gnr have atm) or Better next to the old songs whatsoever. And to me, Slither has much more of the old sound that these new leaks we have been hearing and of course I really am more into Slither and VR kind of songs than TWAT or the other leaks which go into a different direction that I don?t quite like, to be honest. Twat, Maddy as u refer, in my opinion, got nothing of the old sound that made us love this band from the start, and if they ever reunited u wouldnt hear stuff like that. What I really think is that both TWAT and Slither together or not don?t stand up to the old songs whatsoever. And that is due (once again, it?s my honest opinion) both Axl and Slash don?t have each other.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2007, 04:17:40 PM »

Axl Rose in 10 years has created great songs like you say estebanf, But Slash has created great songs too, I don't mean only in Velvet Revolver, I'm talking about Slash'snakepit, but none of them have created amazing songs like November Rain, Scom, Mr. brownstone, ?Nightrain, Estranged or Coma. So we can conclude that they need be together to create inmortal songs, that confirm too that Guns n' Roses is broken, Guns are in Velvet Revolver and the Roses are in the current Axl's band, ( the "N'" belongs to Izzy ?hihi )
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:20:34 PM by Rocker_GNR » Logged

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »

Axl Rose in 10 years has created great songs like you say estebanf, But Slash has created great songs too, I don't mean only in Velvet Revolver, I'm talking about Slash'snakepit, but none of them have created amazing songs like November Rain, Scom, Mr. brownstone,  Nightrain, Estranged or Coma. So we can conclude that they need be together to create inmortal songs, that confirm too that Guns n' Roses is broken, Guns is in Velvet Revolver and the Roses en the current Axl's band, ( the "N'" belongs to Izzy  hihi )

just like I said  ok

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: