Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash solo's while in VR live in concert recently
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash solo's while in VR live in concert recently  (Read 18582 times)
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 06:03:19 AM »

BTW it's strange that some people hate Slash so much on a GN'R site. Are you not a fan of his playing? Then what the hell you do when you're listening GN'R albums?? Roll Eyes
oh my god? Roll Eyes

I NEVER SAID I HATED HIM
.? I like slash.? ?He is among my favorite guitarists, just not up at the top.

Musical appreciation is a subjective thing and varies from person to person.?

what is more amusing is some of the asslicking.? "one note played by Slash blows away other guitarists' whole career"?? Are you fucking kidding me?? ?rofl

To some of you, if someone doesn't rate Slash as their favoritest most super duper greatest guitarist ever means you hate him?? ?Talk about blind love!? Roll Eyes

Yes, Slash is great, he did some amazing stuff in guns and he's still very good.? But he is by no means my favorite, or even in my top 5.? Does this mean I hate slash?? Roll Eyes?

that is all, i think i've posted enough for this topic and i'd rather not get into this dumb shit with a few silly slash fans who put him up on some altar like hes a god.

I still think that one note plaayed by Slash (in his blessed moment) can make more than other guitarists' whole career. I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I know a singer who - just like Slash - isn't perfect, doesn't have a trained voice, makes mistakes, but... he's genuine, unique and his one scream or little melody worth more than other singers' whole career.

Slash is not in your top 5. Fine, it's all about personal taste. But as far as I know GN'R is your favourite band or at least in the top 3. And GN'R was a guitar band, and Slash played on every album. That's why I don't get how he isn't in your top 5, but that's just me. ?peace

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 07:19:06 AM »

Jim bob I think u are just a slash hater.

No, I'm not.   He's just not that high on my list of fav guitarists.   Not everyone worships slash, get used to it.   I said he is good.

Moving your fingers fast isnt what makes a great solo

never said it was.  I agree completely.

Just by curiosity... whats ur top 5?

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 08:43:38 AM »

Man, I love his STB solo. So messy and spontaneous.? ok

Btw, has everyone seen this Mr. Brownstone performance from the Quilmes Rock show? Listen to Slash during the verses - not to mention the kickass outro. Fucking awesome. Best I've heard this song sound in a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLORbkhCa0

I have to say, I do not like VR(scott), but slash kicks fucking ass on that. The singer is the problem. He sucks. However that is the best I have heard that song musically sound in a long time.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »

Man, I love his STB solo. So messy and spontaneous.? ok

Btw, has everyone seen this Mr. Brownstone performance from the Quilmes Rock show? Listen to Slash during the verses - not to mention the kickass outro. Fucking awesome. Best I've heard this song sound in a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLORbkhCa0

I have to say, I do not like VR(scott), but slash kicks fucking ass on that. The singer is the problem. He sucks. However that is the best I have heard that song musically sound in a long time.

I agree with both of you, best since argentina 93   hihi

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »

Scott's new songs do seem to favor his voice/range a little better.? I think he is trying more on this record to be himself.

Agree with that 100%

As much as I loved Contraband, and despite what an excellent frontman I think Scott is, I felt that Scott was changing himself and his vocal stylings to 'fit in' with the expectations that were placed on VR.  On more than one occasion at every show (of the four I have been to) he was clearly trying to sing not only outside of his comfort zone, but out of his range.  The new stuff is much more suited to his style.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »

This shows me his chops are somewhat back.

When did he lose them?

He sure seems to have them during this Rock Am Ring 2005 performance of "Set Me Free." The "Hey Joe" video Jarmo posted was from later that year.? And theres plenty of other examples between 2003 and now.? I think this is a case of confusing a return from a fairly lengthy absence with a return to form.

Booker, wrong, Slash was on a lot back in 2005, however, he was more hit or miss then.  From the shows so far, Slash has been much more focused and accurate with much less bad notes.  He has always been a on and off type player, but so far, this tour, he is nailing everything.  The Jimi Hendrix Tribute was awesome.  The Daughtry solo was good.  But, Live, so far, this is the best he has sounded to me in the consistency dept.  He is such a bad ass.  I love this tone so far as well.  The new solos sound a little more difficult as well and his new Set Me Free solo is better.  He sounds more like the 1993 UYI Slash.
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 04:45:36 PM »

When did he lose them?

He sure seems to have them during this Rock Am Ring 2005 performance of "Set Me Free." The "Hey Joe" video Jarmo posted was from later that year.? And theres plenty of other examples between 2003 and now.? I think this is a case of confusing a return from a fairly lengthy absence with a return to form.

Booker, wrong, Slash was on a lot back in 2005, however, he was more hit or miss then.? From the shows so far, Slash has been much more focused and accurate with much less bad notes.? He has always been a on and off type player, but so far, this tour, he is nailing everything.? The Jimi Hendrix Tribute was awesome.? The Daughtry solo was good.? But, Live, so far, this is the best he has sounded to me in the consistency dept.? He is such a bad ass.? I love this tone so far as well.? The new solos sound a little more difficult as well and his new Set Me Free solo is better.? He sounds more like the 1993 UYI Slash.

Interesting. I think Slash was much better @ the CB tour than on the last round of the UYI tour. His playing was much more accurate (although the songs were better in 1993).

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 08:45:54 PM »

When did he lose them?

Slash at times was more in shredder mode and had to force out the dirty little thing solo as we all hoped he would hit the right notes.  Look at the Weenie Roast Sucker Train blues where he actually appears to be drunk. 

Watch Night Train from Tokyo DVD's, now he was on then.  All the argentina and brazil and chile shows from 1993 are just so raw.  KOHD was killer.

Mikkamakka, maybe you are right.  Maybe its that the songs were just so much better in 1993.  In any case, he is playing great now!

Booker, wrong, Slash was on a lot back in 2005, however, he was more hit or miss then.? From the shows so far, Slash has been much more focused and accurate with much less bad notes.? He has always been a on and off type player, but so far, this tour, he is nailing everything.? The Jimi Hendrix Tribute was awesome.? The Daughtry solo was good.? But, Live, so far, this is the best he has sounded to me in the consistency dept.? He is such a bad ass.? I love this tone so far as well.? The new solos sound a little more difficult as well and his new Set Me Free solo is better.? He sounds more like the 1993 UYI Slash.

Interesting. I think Slash was much better @ the CB tour than on the last round of the UYI tour. His playing was much more accurate (although the songs were better in 1993).
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 12:35:47 AM »

Top 5 Favs for me:

1.Slash
2.John Frusiciante
3. Prince
4. Richie Sambora
5. Stevie Ray Vaughn

Jim bob u to me seem like one of these New Gnr fans who try to discredit original members to try and make FInck and people like that seem better than they are.

Look at your title for Christ's sake. Your title and posts in this section make me think u Hate Slash just cause Axl does which to me is pathetic.

I challenge u to listen to NR,Estranged or SCOM and come tell me that Slash isnt the MVP of those songs.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:37:39 AM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 06:37:10 AM »

Jim bob u to me seem like one of these New Gnr fans who try to discredit original members to try and make FInck and people like that seem better than they are.

Look at your title for Christ's sake. Your title and posts in this section make me think u Hate Slash just cause Axl does which to me is pathetic.

I challenge u to listen to NR,Estranged or SCOM and come tell me that Slash isnt the MVP of those songs.
you are an absolute idiot.  And i dont care if I get karma for it, it needs to be said.

if all you are going to do is attack me for my title and diss me for supporting the guys who are in the band now over someone who left it 10 years ago, maybe you should go find a VR board if you want a place where everyone is as eager to lick slash's ass as you are.   

I will discuss this topic with you when you can get your head out of Slash's ass, until then, forget it.

Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2007, 06:58:11 AM »

you are an absolute idiot.  And i dont care if I get karma for it, it needs to be said.

if all you are going to do is attack me for my title and diss me for supporting the guys who are in the band now over someone who left it 10 years ago, maybe you should go find a VR board if you want a place where everyone is as eager to lick slash's ass as you are.   

I will discuss this topic with you when you can get your head out of Slash's ass, until then, forget it.

Jim... whats ur top 5? Can u tell us please?

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 06:59:02 AM »

Lol I so agree with u... ok

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »

you are an absolute idiot.?

Chill with the name calling.

And i dont care if I get karma for it, it needs to be said.

Your wish is...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »

I'm very dissapointed in Jim Bob. Cry

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »

Two of those songs were mostly written by a guy who's not in VR and Slash hasn't produced solos like that since.

Maybe that says something, or probably not since you're happy with VR.

I think he's a great guitar player, but there's a shit load of great guitar players out there. It takes a bit more than just skill for playing the guitar in my opinion to get to the top.

It doesn't hurt if you have somebody pushing you, telling you what you just played was great or motivating you.

Slash wrote the SCOM intro and hated it. Look what happened......

A solo is just a solo unless you have a great song around it. Then it becomes something else.... Maybe even a classic like the songs mentioned above.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 11:20:10 AM »

Two of those songs were mostly written by a guy who's not in VR and Slash hasn't produced solos like that since.

Look who's turning this into an Axl vs Slash thread again...

Slash wrote the SCOM intro and hated it. Look what happened......

A solo is just a solo unless you have a great song around it. Then it becomes something else.... Maybe even a classic like the songs mentioned above.

Again, I think what D was referring to was the guitar solos in the song and not who wrote what and made them great. The SCOM intro is easily one of the most, if not the most famous riffs in rock and the NR solo was voted the 7th greatest solo of all time by Rolling Stone. Of course Axl wrote the songs, but that's not what we're talking about here, is it?

Fuck 'Em All.
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »

Jim bob I think u are just a slash hater.

Moving your fingers fast isnt what makes a great solo

Slash is one of the few guitarists that can make a guitar solo stand out as much as vocals. When Slash plays a solo u  remember it and can sing a long to it.

That is much much harder than someone like BUcket or bumble who just play a hundred notes of jibberish.

i love slash because he was in my favourite band. i love his solos in many songs. but to say that are few that can do the same as him is not true. i could list over 50 guitarists who have the same effect on me.

and what you say about buckethead is untrue. he doesn't just play hundred notes of gibberish. granted he can play hundreds of notes of gibberish if he feels like it thats not all he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DyZej9yrHE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgXIiHg2qTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-2w9b8i7GU

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2007, 11:29:11 AM »

...Slash hasn't produced solos like that since.

I think that distinction is in the ear of the beholder. ?

For my money, the solo is "Slither" was the most memorable thing he's done since SCOM.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2007, 11:34:18 AM »

When Slash plays a solo u? remember it and can sing a long to it.

Taking that premise one step further, in the immortal words of the guy on my avatar:

"If you can't hum it or whistle it, ain't nobody gonna remember it." - Billy Duffy

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »

Look who's turning this into an Axl vs Slash thread again...

yeah 'cuz jarmo was the one mentioning those gnr songs first? Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: