Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tenet Alleges Early Iraq War Plans
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tenet Alleges Early Iraq War Plans  (Read 5820 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »

Anybody catch Tenet on 60 minutes tonight? Boy was he spirited.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 12:13:01 AM »

If this war was purely about securing oil and keeping it (relatively) inexpensive, then they've sure fucked up that plan. 

What didn't they fuck up over there?

Well, if a goal was to get Saddam, then it's been accomplished.  Not exactly worthwhile, though.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeraldFord
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 12:24:22 AM »

Anybody catch Tenet on 60 minutes tonight? Boy was he spirited.

Yup.

To be honest, despite whatever mistakes he's made, he seems like a decent guy. I thought he was going to punch the interviewer in the face though...
Gordon Gekko
Banned
Headliner

Blue Horseshoe loves GnR

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »

Ex-CIA analyst: Forged 'yellowcake' memo 'leads right back to' Cheney

A former CIA analyst claims that falsified documents which were meant to show that Iraq's Saddam Hussein regime had been trying to procure yellowcake uranium from Niger can be traced back to Vice President Dick Cheney.

Appearing on MSNBC's Tucker Carlson Show, Ray McGovern who served in the CIA for twenty-seven years, said, "the [forged] memo leads right back to the doorstep of the Vice President of the United States."

According to McGovern, former CIA Director George Tenet told his "coterie of malleable managers" at the CIA to create a National Intelligence Estimate "to the terms of reference of Dick Cheney's speech of August 26, 2002, where Dick Cheney said for the first time Saddam Hussein could have a nuclear weapon in a year, he's got all kinds of chemical, he's got all kinds of biological weapons."

McGovern, who at one time chaired National Intelligence Estimates and prepared the President's Daily Brief, also claimed to have evidence that the memo leads back to Cheney, but he would not say what it was, except that the names of the people involved were "in the public domain."

In an op-ed posted at Buzzflash, McGovern argues, "If any good can come out of the intelligence/policy debacle regarding Iraq, it would be the clear lesson that intelligence crafted to dovetail with the predilections of policymakers can bring disaster. The role that Tenet, McLaughlin, and their small coterie of malleable managers played as willing accomplices in the corruption of intelligence has made a mockery of the verse chiseled into the marble at the entrance to CIA headquarters: 'You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'"

McGovern also calls Tenet a "pathetic figure" who is trying to "justify himself for unjustifiable activity." Tenet, in his new book, claims that the Bush administration distorted his use of the term "slam dunk" in reference to intelligence that ultimately led to the Iraq war.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 10:25:51 PM »

Ex-CIA analyst: Forged 'yellowcake' memo 'leads right back to' Cheney

A former CIA analyst claims that falsified documents which were meant to show that Iraq's Saddam Hussein regime had been trying to procure yellowcake uranium from Niger can be traced back to Vice President Dick Cheney.

Appearing on MSNBC's Tucker Carlson Show, Ray McGovern who served in the CIA for twenty-seven years, said, "the [forged] memo leads right back to the doorstep of the Vice President of the United States."

According to McGovern, former CIA Director George Tenet told his "coterie of malleable managers" at the CIA to create a National Intelligence Estimate "to the terms of reference of Dick Cheney's speech of August 26, 2002, where Dick Cheney said for the first time Saddam Hussein could have a nuclear weapon in a year, he's got all kinds of chemical, he's got all kinds of biological weapons."

McGovern, who at one time chaired National Intelligence Estimates and prepared the President's Daily Brief, also claimed to have evidence that the memo leads back to Cheney, but he would not say what it was, except that the names of the people involved were "in the public domain."

In an op-ed posted at Buzzflash, McGovern argues, "If any good can come out of the intelligence/policy debacle regarding Iraq, it would be the clear lesson that intelligence crafted to dovetail with the predilections of policymakers can bring disaster. The role that Tenet, McLaughlin, and their small coterie of malleable managers played as willing accomplices in the corruption of intelligence has made a mockery of the verse chiseled into the marble at the entrance to CIA headquarters: 'You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'"

McGovern also calls Tenet a "pathetic figure" who is trying to "justify himself for unjustifiable activity." Tenet, in his new book, claims that the Bush administration distorted his use of the term "slam dunk" in reference to intelligence that ultimately led to the Iraq war.

It's interesting to hear the left slamming Tenet for his book, while still accepting many of its details.  I do agree that Tenet is trying to shed a favorable light on himself, but that certainly can't lead us to ignore the basic accusation of his book.

I don't know much of anything about Mr. McGovern, but if true, his own allegations are very disheartening.  Iraq could very well become, to today's youth, what Watergate was to previous generations: a reason to have a strong distrust of government.  Unfortunately, this carries with it, commonly, the side effect of being disengaged from the process, meaning that those we DON'T trust will have an even tighter stranglehold on the reins of power. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 10:35:32 PM »

It's interesting to hear the left slamming Tenet for his book, while still accepting many of its details.

Who is doing that on the left?

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 10:38:32 PM »

im waiting on the government to release how they actually committed 9/11 themselves to give themselves a reason to go to iraq. I do believe? terrorists are real, and attacking, like london 05, but 9/11 i have my doubts, im honestly starting to believe, when thingsl ike this come out, your (americans) own government did it.

too many people would have to be involved. it would be too big of a cover up.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
GeraldFord
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »

I don't know much of anything about Mr. McGovern, but if true, his own allegations are very disheartening.  Iraq could very well become, to today's youth, what Watergate was to previous generations: a reason to have a strong distrust of government.

There's gonna be some other stupid war(s) and the people will wrap themselves in the flag and pin yellow ribbons on trees, and then they will be against it when kids start coming home in body bags. The cycle will go on and on...
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:58 PM »

It's interesting to hear the left slamming Tenet for his book, while still accepting many of its details.

Who is doing that on the left?

Oh, the talking heads, mostly...and Arianna Huffington, if she counts for anything.  Though I'm not criticizing them for it!  Tenet deserves a little bashing...I just hope it doesn't take away from the REAL story, which is his accusation of Bush's EARLY plans to invade. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »

I've seen nothing but the usual smear job from the right towards Tenant, I'll check out Huffington post and see what she is saying.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 12:03:38 AM »

I've seen nothing but the usual smear job from the right towards Tenant, I'll check out Huffington post and see what she is saying.

I saw a quote from her (presumably from her site) that was in the Chicago Tribune. 

The right's response is typical and expected.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: