Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 05:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228487 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 113503 times)
magnumS
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #440 on: March 22, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »

Ok so ive been reading posts here n there about madagascar interpretations , and i must say poeple are NOT reading between the lines but only at the speech wich actually all of it speaks "old band"-p.s -wdf relegious?.
so heres my interpretations :
"I won't be told anymore
That I've been brought down in this storm
And left so far out from the shore
That I can't find my way back, my way anymore"-Simple meaning "Im not gona stand here and be told that i was brought into this music bussines , ruled the world and the im suddenyl left out of all that i had and cant come back again"

Forgive them that tear down my soul
Bless them that they might grow old
And free them so that they may know
That it's never, too late
-Meaning Forgive the old members that tear down my soul with the never ending lawsuits bad interviews ,etc , and help them realize that the door to them coming back is always open , its never too late.

For the many times, what seemed like, a memory
I searched and found the ways you used to lure me in
Ooh, I found the ways,
Why it had to be
Mired in denial, and saw heart break / Mired in denial and so afraid
-Means , when i sit here and rmemeber afd illsuions tours and times , it seems like a memory , sumthing gold lost in time , ive finally found how you used to lure me into your habits (stated in interview that slash used to lure axl occasionaly into drugs),
why does this have to be so full of denial and heartbreak why do we have to be so afraid(regrouping?)

If we ever find it true,
That we had the strength to choose,
The freedom or the chains,
We held together-
Means , if the day comes where we all can finally have the strength to comeback and choose wether to get back toegether and be free or hold the chains of denial upon us and stay drifted apart.

Speech-
Sometimes I feel discouraged
I felt this fear
He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone, no never alone, no never alone!
Let's get something straight, alright?
Promised never to leave me!
This whole thing was fucked up
Never to leave me alone!
All men betray. All lose heart!
I don't want to lose heart!...I want to believe.
-I think the worlds talk for them selves , most probably slash and axl got really close near the end of tour , and when steph and him broke up , slash was his shoulder promising hell never leave..And hes with him 100% ..words speak for themselves

Black men and white men
Together at the table of brotherhood!
I have a dream
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty!! WE ARE FREE AT LAST!!
these words speak for themselves,axl obviouslty finds this speach very relating to him
Basically means when they all the band come toegether , that was axl's dream,and theyl finally be free of this sorrow.
not  all the relegious crap poeple talk about , although theres sum light to that ,maybe axl's faith found its way?

P.s-This id my opinsion , this is what ive analysed over extensive thinking and i can relate to this song very mucyh and understand it because sumthing of similar nature happend to me
If any of you net freaks who are tough on net and so brittle when your heads get shoved down the toilets wana bad mouth , spray your filth elsewhere , i got the right to speak my opinion.
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #441 on: March 22, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »

Ok so ive been reading posts here n there about madagascar interpretations , and i must say poeple are NOT reading between the lines but only at the speech wich actually all of it speaks "old band"-p.s -wdf relegious?.
"I won't be told anymore
That I can't find my way back, my way anymore"-Simple meaning "Im not gona stand here and be told that i was brought into this music bussines , ruled the world and the im suddenyl left out of all that i had and cant come back again"

-Meaning Forgive the old members that tear down my soul with the never ending lawsuits bad interviews ,etc , and help them realize that the door to them coming back is always open , its never too late.

Ooh, I found the ways,
Why it had to be
-Means , when i sit here and rmemeber afd illsuions tours and times , it seems like a memory , sumthing gold lost in time , ive finally found how you used to lure me into your habits (stated in interview that slash used to lure axl occasionaly into drugs),
why does this have to be so full of denial and heartbreak why do we have to be so afraid(regrouping?)

If we ever find it true,
We held together-
Means , if the day comes where we all can finally have the strength to comeback and choose wether to get back toegether and be free or hold the chains of denial upon us and stay drifted apart.

Speech-
I felt this fear
He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone, no never alone, no never alone!
Never to leave me alone!
-I think the worlds talk for them selves , most probably slash and axl got really close near the end of tour , and when steph and him broke up , slash was his shoulder promising hell never leave..And hes with him 100% ..words speak for themselves

Black men and white men
I have a dream
these words speak for themselves,axl obviouslty finds this speach very relating to him
Basically means when they all the band come toegether , that was axl's dream,and theyl finally be free of this sorrow.
not  all the relegious crap poeple talk about , although theres sum light to that ,maybe axl's faith found its way?

P.s-This id my opinsion , this is what ive analysed over extensive thinking and i can relate to this song very mucyh and understand it because sumthing of similar nature happend to me
If any of you net freaks who are tough on net and so brittle when your heads get shoved down the toilets wana bad mouth , spray your filth elsewhere , i got the right to speak my opinion.

I see you have related the whole song to Gn'Rs past. That's fair enough, although I view the song in a more broader sense. I havn't analyzed Madagascar word for word, I just take the overall feeling of the song, and that feeling I cannot put into words, although I get the feeling of isolation and trapped in ones self.  peace

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:01:10 AM by redx » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #442 on: March 22, 2007, 02:57:28 PM »

I hope (sorry) that that interpretation is incorrect.  The idea of using MLK's speech in a song about something as insignificant as a band's struggles seems inappropriate to me.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Skinflick
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #443 on: March 22, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »

"I won't be told anymore

Ooh, I found the ways,
Why it had to be

If we ever find it true,
We held together-

Speech-
I felt this fear
Never to leave me alone!

Black men and white men
I have a dream
not? all the relegious crap poeple talk about , although theres sum light to that ,maybe axl's faith found its way?

You are quoting incorrect words in the song. A few of the lyrics are wrong but most are correct.

NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR FUCKIN' SHINEBOX!!!
zigthis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »

Quoth Wikipedia:

The Madagascar was a large British merchant ship built for the trade to India and China in 1837, but went missing on a voyage from Melbourne to London in 1853. The disappearance of the Madagascar was one of the great maritime mysteries of the 19th century.

As a result of the Victorian Gold Rush the Madagascar was sent to Melbourne with emigrants under the command of Captain Fortescue William Harris.? She then loaded a cargo that included wool, rice and about two tonnes of gold valued at ?240,000, and took on board about 110 passengers for London.? The Madagascar left Melbourne on Friday 12 August 1853, and after leaving Port Phillip Heads she was never seen again.

When the ship became overdue many theories were floated, including spontaneous combustion of the wool cargo, hitting an iceberg and, most controversially, being seized by criminal elements of the passengers and/or crew and scuttled after the gold was stolen and the remaining passengers and crew were murdered.

In 1872 rumours of a supposed death-bed confession by a man who "knew who murdered the captain of the Madagascar" were first published and over the next century many purely fictional stories based on this rumour have been published.? Most 20th century versions state that the death-bed confession was by a woman passenger who was taken by the mutineers and by implication raped, and was too ashamed of what had happened to confess beforehand.

The legend of the Madagascar has also been used as a plot device in popular fiction, the earliest known usage being in Thomas Harrison's My Story; or, the Fate of the Madagascar first published as a serial in The Colonial Magazine, Melbourne in 1868, and the most recent being in Sandy Curtis' Deadly Tide in 2003.

Perhaps Rose, with the song title and some of the lyrics, is making some kind of metaphorical reference between his rumor-laden exile and the rumor-laden disappearance of this ship.?

Thoughts?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #445 on: March 30, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »

I always thought it was the island that broke off from Africa or whereever. Forgive my Geography, No time to research so I am goin out on a limb.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #446 on: March 30, 2007, 03:34:34 PM »

Quoth Wikipedia:

The Madagascar was a large British merchant ship built for the trade to India and China in 1837, but went missing on a voyage from Melbourne to London in 1853. The disappearance of the Madagascar was one of the great maritime mysteries of the 19th century.

As a result of the Victorian Gold Rush the Madagascar was sent to Melbourne with emigrants under the command of Captain Fortescue William Harris.? She then loaded a cargo that included wool, rice and about two tonnes of gold valued at ?240,000, and took on board about 110 passengers for London.? The Madagascar left Melbourne on Friday 12 August 1853, and after leaving Port Phillip Heads she was never seen again.

When the ship became overdue many theories were floated, including spontaneous combustion of the wool cargo, hitting an iceberg and, most controversially, being seized by criminal elements of the passengers and/or crew and scuttled after the gold was stolen and the remaining passengers and crew were murdered.

In 1872 rumours of a supposed death-bed confession by a man who "knew who murdered the captain of the Madagascar" were first published and over the next century many purely fictional stories based on this rumour have been published.? Most 20th century versions state that the death-bed confession was by a woman passenger who was taken by the mutineers and by implication raped, and was too ashamed of what had happened to confess beforehand.

The legend of the Madagascar has also been used as a plot device in popular fiction, the earliest known usage being in Thomas Harrison's My Story; or, the Fate of the Madagascar first published as a serial in The Colonial Magazine, Melbourne in 1868, and the most recent being in Sandy Curtis' Deadly Tide in 2003.

Perhaps Rose, with the song title and some of the lyrics, is making some kind of metaphorical reference between his rumor-laden exile and the rumor-laden disappearance of this ship.?

Thoughts?

Perhaps. Huh
SLCPUNK
« Reply #447 on: March 30, 2007, 03:35:32 PM »

Madagascar is German for "Whale's Vagina".
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #448 on: March 30, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »

rofl

Instead of searching for the meaning behind the lyrics, we should look for the sexual meaning behind the titles of the songs hihi

So far, TWAT and Whale's Vaginia.....

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #449 on: March 30, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »

I always thought Madagascar was a metaphor about the original band.

France controlled Madagascar from the late 1800's until 1960 when Madagascar became independent.

U can read all about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagascar

elmir
VIP

« Reply #450 on: March 30, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »

i also always thought it was his referrence to the old band...Madagascar is a massive piece of land that broke away from Africa, and now it just floats, can't really find its way, and is not considered a country or an island...its basically nothing really....

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #451 on: March 30, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »

I thought it was a combo / separation themed song about both the band Angry Angry and a personal relationship. Cry Cry

Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #452 on: March 30, 2007, 04:24:35 PM »

man, it makes me want to make a new video of it, the songs is SO COOL! Smiley

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #453 on: March 30, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »

WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!??

DO IT!

SLCPUNK
« Reply #454 on: March 30, 2007, 04:43:45 PM »

WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!??

DO IT!

Yea, but please, this time, no mimes, berets or loafs of bread.

Thanks.
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #455 on: March 30, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »

Speaking of ships, isn't there a ship called the Merry Rose  hihi
zigthis
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

I read up on Madagascar (the island nation) also, thinking I'd find some kind of correlation with the words and pictures used in the onstage montage, but nothing really sticks out in my eyes. ?The independence movement there wasn't overly violent, and didn't involve anything politically polarizing (opression, slavery, genocide, etc.) ?It all seems pretty tame compared to the struggles of other european colonies. ?

So then I went looking for evidence of the name Madagascar being used as a metaphor or in some kind of catchphrase. ?Being an island so close to Africa yet so different culturally, perhaps people use the word Madagascar to describe someone/something of similar characteristics. ?It was on Wiki's disambiguation page that I found the ship article, which kinda/sorta/maybe ties in with the lyrics to the chorus:

I won't be told anymore
that I've been brought down in this storm
and left so far out form the shore
that I can't find my way back, my way anymore...

I think the song in its entirety is some kind of opus epitoma for the album where Rose summarily runs through the themes he'll cover throughout - 'Civil War' style political statements, the resolution/acceptance and post-analysis of a failed relationship, and a response to the years of rumor, doubt, and speculation. ?Musically, the song seems to be a reincarnation of 'Civil War', as does the montage obviously.

I think that's part of the appeal of this album (what we've heard of it so far anyway) - the songs are abstract yet intelligent, delving further into complexity both musically and lyrically, full of these metaphorical words and phrases. ?I really hope Rose includes the lyrics inside the album sleeve as with Illusion - I actually wasn't a fan of some of the CD tracks until I read the lyrics. ?
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #457 on: March 30, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »

I think the song has links with the island. Maybe Axl went there for a holiday to write some lyrics  hihi

Madagascar:
An island country in the Indian Ocean off the southeast coast of Africa comprising the island of Madagascar and several small islands. It was originally peopled by Indonesian and African groups around the end of the first century B.C. The French first established settlements on the island in 1642 and made it a colony in 1896. The country gained full independence as the Malagasy Republic in 1960 and was renamed Madagascar in 1975. Antananarivo is the capital and the largest city. Population: 18,000,000.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #458 on: March 30, 2007, 04:57:11 PM »

I always thought it had something to do with Civil Rights.

i think its right up there next to Civil War.  Maybe a little better.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »

Madagascar was the island where Hitler wanted to send all the Jews before WW2.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: