Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 07:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 113300 times)
LaTeRaLuS
Rocker

Some say the end is near......

« Reply #280 on: August 06, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »

i think madagsacar is some lonely/isolated island, that may have sumit 2 do wif it
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #281 on: August 06, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »

I'm not sure there is a reason.

The song is pretty deep with the political and racial issues particularly in the clips in the middle, and its one of those songs that conspiracy theorists could twist into being almost anything.

Madagascar the country seems pretty nondescript, although I'm not sure if there is anything about its history that Axl picked up on.
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #282 on: August 06, 2006, 05:13:10 PM »

cockaroaches
Crazyman
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #283 on: August 06, 2006, 05:15:27 PM »

Thats a good theory.

I personally think that it has to do with the island of Madagascar, and how it is 'isolated' from Africa, kind of how Axl was isolated...with the world...
andypa1
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #284 on: August 06, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »

ok thanks guys,
Yeah the lonely island fits, hmm it confuses me, i think i understand the song, as you say very deep but i dont understand why the racial comments in the middle? All the rest seems to be about leaving him alone and finding strength.
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #285 on: August 06, 2006, 05:29:54 PM »

If Madagascar is well known for one thing that is its fauna and especially reptiles.
Tomorrows
VIP

Stick to your guns

« Reply #286 on: August 06, 2006, 05:35:30 PM »

If Madagascar is well known for one thing that is its fauna and especially reptiles.

And being the place where monkeys are grown and used for research.
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #287 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »

I'd think it'd be more known of it's general relativity to Africa.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:03:29 PM by Drew » Logged

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
tonya_ytzerman
tiger
Rocker

Her Most Evilness

« Reply #288 on: August 06, 2006, 06:36:44 PM »

Madagascar is an island that - geographically speaking - drifted off the continent of Africa a long, long time ago. Hence the flora and fauna on it are very unique and different from what you'd find on the continent of Africa.
Think Axl and the rest of (old) Gn'R. Then read the samples part (here). Questions?

(I think Axl said somewhere that he did feel the old band breaking apart, and that Estranged kind of was expressing that. He was referring to "I've seen the storm was getting closer". Read Madagascar: "I've seen the lightning flash. I've heard the thunder roll."
The whole song is so full of hints i could write a fucking book about it...)

[size=0]shiftless when i'm idle[/size]
Origen
« Reply #289 on: August 06, 2006, 06:42:32 PM »

Madagascar is an island that - geographically speaking - drifted off the continent of Africa a long, long time ago. Hence the flora and fauna on it are very unique and different from what you'd find on the continent of Africa.
Think Axl and the rest of (old) Gn'R. Then read the samples part (here). Questions?

(I think Axl said somewhere that he did feel the old band breaking apart, and that Estranged kind of was expressing that. He was referring to "I've seen the storm was getting closer". Read Madagascar: "I've seen the lightning flash. I've heard the thunder roll."
The whole song is so full of hints i could write a fucking book about it...)

Isn't Estranged based on his relationship with Erin Everly.

Also why would there be lyrics in Estranged about the band breaking up when at the time (1990) they were still pretty much still very close. At the time Axl did a interview with Kurt Loder where he said the band had to figure out how to work together again and how to reinvent their friendship.
tonya_ytzerman
tiger
Rocker

Her Most Evilness

« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »

Estranged is based on the breakup with Erin. But Axl later said that it can be applied to a lot of other stuff, friendships, that was breaking up. Not necessarily only his with Erin.
I think in 1990 the band was close to breaking up. Read the interviews, how hard it was to get the Illusions out? When Axl bought the rights to the Gn'R name? Izzy left in 1991... I'm not saying that back in the day he wrote it ABOUT Gn'R. He said something like maybe in the back of his head he was thinking about Gn'R when he wrote it, and now in the aftermath you can all see it. I'm saying Madagascar is about old Gn'R breaking up.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:57:12 PM by tonya_ytzerman » Logged

KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #291 on: August 06, 2006, 06:55:50 PM »

Madagascar separated from the main continent of Africa and developed with a slightly unique evolution... I kinda guess like Axl's Guns.

The Martin Luther King quotes should probably not be considered in the context they were originally intended. If you listen to the words they go along similar kind of themes as the other samples and lyrics in the song.

'I've seen the lightening flash and thunder role' - I've seen a new way, an evolution if you will. 'I won't be told anymore'

'Sometimes I feel discouraged' - constant criticism in the media, from ex-band members, pressure

'Promise never to leave me' - fans? band members? I dunno.

'Free At Last' - Free from the post UYI rut, the baggage from the name, the ultimately destructive relationship with former band members. 'Free the ball and chains we held together'.

Axl said in Rio he hoped this song would express his sentiments. This wasn't his sentiments to the fans, that was the dedication. It was his sentiments of the time he has been away. He dedicated it to the brilliant crowd that ushered them back in. I always thought the samples in the middle told the story and was slightly disgusted by the complete stupidity of fans who said 'it's just a temp until they get a good guitar solo and some real drums'. The Rock In Rio solo is the second best GN'R solo... shame Buckethead never played it well ever again.
tonya_ytzerman
tiger
Rocker

Her Most Evilness

« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »

KillKurtzKids: Thanks Smiley Exactly what I mean. It's not about where the quotes are from... "failure to communicate" is my favorite (and like the ultimate hint if you ask me)

@"Promise to never leave me alone":
He promised never to leave me [...] alone
Let's get something straight, alright?
[...]
All men betray. All lose heart!
I don't want to lose heart!...I want to believe
Black men and white men
Together at the table of brotherhood!
I have a dream
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty!! WE ARE FREE AT LAST!!
think Slash.

just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2006, 07:03:23 PM »

the song is so clearly about the old members.
just listen to the samples in the middle of the song
there is your proof right there ok
KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2006, 07:05:38 PM »

amen.
Origen
« Reply #295 on: August 06, 2006, 07:08:43 PM »

After reading over the lyrics I always thought The Blues was about the old band.

Maybe they both are, who knows.
just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #296 on: August 06, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »

After reading over the lyrics I always thought The Blues was about the old band.

the blues i think it is about steph
Origen
« Reply #297 on: August 06, 2006, 07:12:55 PM »

the blues i think it is about steph

Yeah maybe, I'd say it;s almost certainly about the old band or probably her.
KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #298 on: August 06, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »

The Blues would be twice the song without 'street of dreams' and 'stardust on my feet'. Ewww. Still... Madagascar, Better, T.W.A.T... lyrically spot on. Now what are T.W.A.T and Better about? Same again?
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #299 on: August 06, 2006, 07:17:21 PM »

Its an island as people have been pointing out. It was also the island that the Nazis were going to relocate all the Jews to before they changed their plans - the rest is history. Cant really say much more about it, God knows why Axl named a song after it!

Jonx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: