Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 113194 times)
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2005, 08:58:37 PM »

Axl isn't progressing as much as he is simply following trends. That Madagascar drum loop is soooo early-mid 90s.... actually Prince has an unreleased song (Dance With The Devil) from '89 or earlier with a drum loop that sounds almost exactly like Madagascar's. Download the song from any p2p program to see for yourself.

Nothing in the song is groundbreaking; quotes have been used before, synthesized horn section is reminiscent older hip hop songs that used them.

To reiterate,
Axl wanted to move in a new musical direction... to do what others were doing. Download Dance With The Devil, you'll see the similarity between the drums.

Oh yeah, 'Gascar is a pretty good song.
jgfnsr
« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2005, 08:59:29 PM »

i want 1989 gnr, is that so bad?

You already have 1989 GN'R...Appetite for Destruction and Lies.

It strikes me as ironic that while so many consider Axl to be dillussional and unrealistic, many of those are the same ones who hope that the exact sound and feel of a decade and a half a go will somehow be recaptured.

Is it bad? ?No, just utterly impossible.
jgfnsr
« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2005, 09:06:58 PM »

I understand why some feel so close to Maddy, it obviously touches some kind of chord with the listener who digs the "heart on your sleave" type of lyrical content.

Nothing wrong with that...

That said, to portray it in any kind of musical evolution is downright ?absurd. ?

I swear on a stack of Sex Pistols records I knew exactly
what was coming next the first time I heard the song. ?It is an absolute formula power ballad, from the organ intro to the synth laden background noise to the weeping guitar.

I know, I know, the quotes tell a story, yadda yadda..

I'm baffled that more haven't stressed their discomfort with the MLK interlude. ?I mean for the love of God, trivializing MLK quotes with movie lines is borderline offensive, no matter what story is told. ?Isn't there also a redux of the Civil War intro somewhere in there? Recycling your previous work is hardly an evolution. ?At least plagiarizing someone else can be considered a product of influence, paying an homage if you will....

One more point, progression can not in any way, shape or form be measured in a way that's defined by "there's alot going on in that song". ?That's just not a very analytical way to characterize anything, let alone the thought of perceived musical evolution.

Again, I understand why some do enjoy the tune, the same folks who love NR and Don't Cry are probably drawn to Maddy as well. ?Neither of those 2 tunes ahead of their time in 1991 by any stretch, both closer to Elton John. As for the ladder, it's closer to...well...Elton John. ?

13 years later. ?

Considering the fact that a band like the Sex Pistol's produced the most important record in your life Falcon, it really shouldn't surprise anybody that you would have no appreciation for a song like "Madagascar."  After all, with all due respect, we're talking about the same guy that has forever loathed "November Rain" and "Estranged!"  For the record, whether it's progressive or not, I really don't think "Madagascar" could be termed a ballad. 

And if I may ask, how or why is recording movie lines with Martin Luther King quotes offensive?   Huh   
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2005, 09:10:59 PM »

Well then it's a 'power ballad'.

As for the quotes, I think they're almost cheesy. It just is. Cheesy like this. It's like asking 'Why don't you think the Backstreet Boys are cool'? But if anyone enjoys it, more power to you.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 09:20:08 PM by mr_yoshimaroka » Logged
noizzynofuture
Rocker

Spread the Virus

« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2005, 09:11:57 PM »

Madagascar is a good song, but IMO, i think it could be better. ?

I think it needs another verse (the first couple of verses in axl's words are great) and I agree with the minority and think the quotes make the song a bit bloated and too self righteous. ?

Also, the quotes make this song almost impossible to listen to while at a GNR concert (you can't make them out and the music is just background noise during them). ?I went twice in 02 and people were heading for beers during what amounts to a bad drum solo.

Cut the quotes and have axl "tell the story".
jgfnsr
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2005, 09:13:30 PM »

Well then it's a 'power ballad'.

Let's not split hairs here.

Maybe it's a matter of opinion but a ballad (or power ballad) is a song like "Don't Cry," "November Rain," or "The Blues."

I don't think "Madagascar" is the same thing. ?Nor "Civil War" or "Estranged" for that matter.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2005, 09:15:55 PM »

Axl isn't progressing as much as he is simply following trends. That Madagascar drum loop is soooo early-mid 90s.... actually Prince has an unreleased song (Dance With The Devil) from '89 or earlier with a drum loop that sounds almost exactly like Madagascar's. Download the song from any p2p program to see for yourself.

Nothing in the song is groundbreaking; quotes have been used before, synthesized horn section is reminiscent older hip hop songs that used them.

To reiterate,
Axl wanted to move in a new musical direction... to do what others were doing. Download Dance With The Devil, you'll see the similarity between the drums.

Oh yeah, 'Gascar is a pretty good song.

You are missing the point. Yes nothing in the song is ground breaking but what makes madagascar ground breaking is no one took all those things and put them into one song and make it sound good.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
jgfnsr
« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2005, 09:19:07 PM »

?Also, the quotes make this song almost impossible to listen to while at a GNR concert (you can't make them out and the music is just background noise during them). ?I went twice in 02 and people were heading for beers during what amounts to a bad drum solo.

...one reason why I've always seen the new band as more of a studio-based outfit than any type of live one. ?I tend to think that what Axl is recording now will "translate" better through a stereo than on stage.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2005, 09:27:11 PM »

Madagascar and Stairway to heaven have the same bass riff. If you listen to an average mp3 copy of Madagascar at say Rock In Rio 3 and compare it to a studio copy of Stairway the bass riff is identical..also the whole flow of both songs are both very similar as well. Ah well, I love and cherish both songs yes

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2005, 09:36:23 PM »

And if I may ask, how or why is recording movie lines with Martin Luther King quotes offensive?? Huh?? ?

Simply put, the MLK speech is probably one of the most, if not the most important orations in US history.
I find the pretention of its inclusion offensive and a more than a bit self important.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jgfnsr
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2005, 12:08:38 AM »

Simply put, the MLK speech is probably one of the most, if not the most important orations in US history.
I find the pretention of its inclusion offensive and a more than a bit self important.

For cryin' out loud Falcon, you're starting to sound like Doppelganger.  (That's NOT a good thing by the way)

I'll grant you that Martin Luther King's speech is one of the most important in our nation's history.  Nevertheless, King wasn't the Messiah and what he said isn't sacred scripture.

If anything, Axl including his speech in "Madagascar" could be considered a tribute to King rather than an exercise in self-indulgence.
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2005, 12:29:24 AM »

Madagascar is a pretty good song but i've never understood how peeps can claim it's one of the best. I would be alarmed if this was the general calibre we have in store for CD and hope Axls not full of wind by claiming it's not one of the "big guns".

The comparison to November Rain, I can see - pleasant enough but clunky in it's over-earnestness, a little self-important.

As for the quotes, hardly a new concept sampling various movies and speeches. And in principle it is a bit rich to use MLK speech fragments in the context of a rock song - kind of devalues their poignancy

However, The Blues is another thing altogether and has classy written all over it IMO. Im just not feeling Madagascar the way others are

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2005, 12:56:23 AM »

I listen to Madagascar more than any other song.  One of the top 5 best GN'R songs ever, and it isn't even studio quality?!  Hard telling how good it's going to sound when its produced properly.  I'm too used to the 2001 Rio version....ma nava mada madagascar...lol I know every word on that damn track and love every second of it.  PERFECT piece of art Axl has created...good choice for the 2002 VMA perfomance as well... ok
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2005, 12:59:27 PM »

madagascar is gr8

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2005, 01:32:34 PM »

Madagascar is one of the greatest GNR songs ever.

Whoever thinks the MLK quotes suck is an idiot.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2005, 01:33:50 PM »

For cryin' out loud Falcon, you're starting to sound like Doppelganger.? (That's NOT a good thing by the way)
I have no idea who the hell Doppleganger is..

If anything, Axl including his speech in "Madagascar" could be considered a tribute to King rather than an exercise in self-indulgence.

Could be I guess, given the singers penchant for the overblown, I doubt it.

This comment by jimmythegent sums it up very well:
"And in principle it is a bit rich to use MLK speech fragments in the context of a rock song - kind of devalues their poignancy"

A bit rich indeed..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2005, 03:47:41 PM »

So far I havent heard one riff that is vaguely memorable some great vocal melody but thats it.

I really liked the riff on the song Chinese Democracy, especially when the Darkness did it on "i Believe In A Thing Called Love".?

Nah, I like Filter's version of it better on "Hey Man, Nice Shot".
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2005, 06:53:14 PM »

Amazing song, Its extremely fucking uplifting.

It also makes a statement regarding Axl's resilliancy  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
jgfnsr
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »

I have no idea who the hell Doppleganger is..

Doppelganger is none other than our good buddy SLCPUNK.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #199 on: December 21, 2005, 07:04:32 PM »

I haven't listened to much Nu-GN'R in a while, but last night I put on RIR3, and I still think Madagascar is up there with Axl's best work. Such an epic, powerful song, which I didn't really get at first listen.

I honestly think that if Chinese Democracy isn't coming out, Axl really should at least release an EP of studio versions of Madagascar, The Blues and CD. I know I'd buy it! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: