Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 113167 times)
Mattgnr
Rocker

I'm a llama and very proud

« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2005, 04:01:35 PM »

Mine

The Blues - I love the Lyrics
Madagascar
Chinese democracy
OMG
Silkworms
R/B
jgfnsr
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2005, 10:58:58 PM »

Now for the OFFICIAL list :

1) Madagascar
2) The Blues
3) Chinese Democracy
4) Rhiad & The Bedouins
5) Oh My God
6) Silkworms

ok
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:59:49 PM by Illogical Phallus » Logged
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2005, 05:11:24 AM »

I think Madagascar is about the old band members...

I feel that way too.? Someone posted in one of the past Madagascar threads - and I agree - that it could actually be considered a continuation of or sequel to "Estranged"

Or a prequel, "part 4 of the trilogy

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2005, 06:12:20 AM »

Now for the OFFICIAL list :

1) Madagascar
2) The Blues
3) Chinese Democracy
4) Oh My God
5) Silkworms

ok
Where's Rhiad?? Huh
Anyways, here's my list NOW (sometimes it changes a bit Grin):

1)Rhiad/The Blues
2)Madagascar
3)Oh my God
4) Chinese Democracy
5) Silkworms (the Las Vegas one is much better)

Eva, your post about the freedom was brilliant. I agree 100%. Axl indeed wanted to please everyone with some really great songs different from each other. To me is like "taste them, those are only a small part of a whole new sound".

Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »

Eva, your post about the freedom was brilliant. I agree 100%. Axl indeed wanted to please everyone with some really great songs different from each other. To me is like "taste them, those are only a small part of a whole new sound".

thank you for the compliment Smiley

and less we forget:  "Freedom Through Musical Integrity"....  trying to remember however where this phrase came from?
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2005, 03:38:05 PM »

1) The Blues  (sounds epic, grand etc.. and at around 4-5mins, is more economical regarding time)
2) Chinese Democracy (this would be a perfect first song fro CD)
3)Madagascar (pretty nice song, I think it lags a little though and sounds a little dated, not the timeless sound we expect of Guns)
4)Oh my god (nice ideas, but it sounds under-developed and a murky, muddy production doesnt help much. Lends weight to the thory of it being a demo.)
5)Silkworms (pretty poor IMO. Sounds like something that was written in the soundcheck before the gig. ie a jam)
6)Rhiad (hard to form a real impression here as the version I have is extremley poor quality. However, what I can make out sounds awful - especially the vocal melody which just sounds like incoherent shouting)

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2005, 05:37:21 PM »

"so far I have known just of two people than dont like it you and this other guy, its like the people who dont like Estranged, its just ESTRANGE to say the less"

see I am unable to see a similarity between Estranged and Madagascar (I think that's what you are saying)
Estranged is a beautiful song...
Madagascar is a whiny song...no depth...victum like lament with a "poor me tinge"

But there's definitely enough peeps out there who dig it so...there ya go...whatever floats your boat.
inho
Headliner

Arnold? Who's Arnold?

« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2005, 10:40:21 AM »

Rocks like a motherf***er! (I know that this is stone age for everyone else).
I downloaded the boston soundboard recording and nearly wet meself? peace peace peace
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 10:50:26 AM by inho » Logged

If this ridiculous album ever comes out, I'm going to buy it 3 times.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2005, 12:32:18 PM »

Madagascar is fanastic very deep lyrics and meaning well to me!

EEEERRRR Little boy
inho
Headliner

Arnold? Who's Arnold?

« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2005, 12:37:04 PM »

I agree about the lyrics ... I had read about Axl's voice being shot so I looked up the Mp3s of the 2002 concerts ... and well if that's what it sounds like when you lose your voice I bet Weiland is praying for  athroat condition.
Abolutely AMAZING! ok

If this ridiculous album ever comes out, I'm going to buy it 3 times.
dangnr
Headliner

My babys gotta locomotive

« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2005, 02:42:17 PM »

I agree with yah I love madagascar it never gets boring too me!! It got a mystic feel to it!! I cant wait to hear the studio version, but who knows maybe by the time the cd comes out, madagascar might not even be on it. But i think this song means alot to Axl cause he played the small tidbit of it at the vmas that year plus the lyrics seem to have relevace to the old band great song
where can i got downloads from sounboards from that tour? if anyone could let me know id be happy
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2005, 02:54:25 PM »

I love the guitars on it. Richard does a great job on it (especially at the VMA).

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2005, 02:58:16 PM »

I know Im in the minority, but I find the song a tad overly melodramatic, and I find some of the lead guitar out of place. That said its a good song, Id just like to see it become less bloated and a little bassier....both bass more prominent and guitars less treble. A bit too long as well.

Still a good song, dont get me wrong.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2005, 03:15:08 PM »

I know Im in the minority, but I find the song a tad overly melodramatic, and I find some of the lead guitar out of place. That said its a good song, Id just like to see it become less bloated and a little bassier....both bass more prominent and guitars less treble. A bit too long as well.

Totally on point in all observations, not too mention extremely predictable.   

As much as I dig the potential of IRS and Chinese Democracy, this song represents everything musically
disturbing about the direction of the new band.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »

Madagascar is a masterpiece. One of most awesome song in years.

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2005, 03:27:11 PM »

Totally on point in all observations, not too mention extremely predictable.? ?

As much as I dig the potential of IRS and Chinese Democracy, this song represents everything musically

You know whats weird for me.

I love the guitar work on Tommies album, great unpredictable and raw....but a lot of the stuff Ive heard from Nu GNR sounds much less inspired, more treble based more 80's and less raw.

Like the opening lead in Oh my god....awful....and sections of madagascar, IRS ?and the blues.
disturbing about the direction of the new band. So far I havent heard one riff that is vaguely memorable some great vocal melody but thats it.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2005, 03:35:23 PM »

So far I havent heard one riff that is vaguely memorable some great vocal melody but thats it.

I really liked the riff on the song Chinese Democracy, especially when the Darkness did it on "i Believe In A Thing Called Love".?

I haven't been able to listen to a clean enough version of IRS to make any objective judgements on the music, Axl sounds good on it though which has to be considered good news.?

With none of the players in the band having much creative experience in their own right, i think the music is the wild card in the whole CD dynamic.? I fully believe Axl will deliver vocally.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2005, 05:57:29 PM »

Maddy r0x0rs!

nervous
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2005, 06:44:03 PM »

the CD riff and the Darkness riff are way different, the opening chord might be the same but that can be said for millions of songs.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2005, 08:24:47 PM »

To me Madagascar is groundbreaking. There are so many things that are blended in together to make that song that no one would normally blend together. Lets break this down:

theres organ, orchastral arrangements, a hip-hop beat that turns into a beat kind of like the one in at the end of STH by Zeppelin, the quotes, incredible lyrics, soulful singing by Axl (I've never heard Axl sing like this anywhere in the old GN'R songs), the guitar work (it might sound simple but it fits very well with the song and to me it makes it that much more emotional).

No one has ever combined these types of things together. That is how this song alone shows that Axl has grown as an artist from the old GN'R days.

Madagascar rules!!!! It just moves me in a way I can even describe, from the beat, the singing, the lyrics, the orchastral arrangements, and the quotes....its just incredible.

P.S. - I agree with D about how much of a genius Axl is to have taken all these quotes that had nothing to do with each other, bring them together to make them tell a story. I would rather hear something like this than a predictable guitar solo. Its something very different from everything else and it makes it reach another level.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 08:27:22 PM by ChineseBedouins » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: