Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 11:09:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 105872 times)
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »

I disagree.  This is supposed to be Rock and Roll and IMO those quotes are gay.  Just Ilike think thoat shit at the end of Breakdown is gay.  Adding a little quote , ala Civil War, is fine.  But to do a 1 minute piecing together of various quotes makes the song weaker, not stronger.

the song would be brilliant if he didn't have the quotes.  I haven't listened to the song more than 15-20 times because of those quotes.  Definately the weakest of all the post Slash songs except silkworms.  

That's just my opinion.  Give me 10 OMGs or CDs and leave the damn gimmicks out of it.

-TyRod-

p.s.  I think that anyone that thinks Axl is slaving day in and day out to perfect this album is nuts.  My bet is that he goes long streatches without even touching it.  How else do you explain the crazy length of time it has taken him?  I just hop ethat Maddy and The Blues are hte two worst sonmgs on the album.  They better be for the amountof time this is taking.

That is funny because most people I gave the song madagascar to said they thought the middle part with all the quotes was cool.
Just because you think its stupid does not mean others do too.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2004, 08:20:21 PM »

i admit when i first heard this song i didnt like the quotes cause i didnt understand them

now i realize they tell a story and have meaning i think they are fucking brilliant

the last thing i want is afd 2004

one of the things about vr is to me they dont sound like theyve evolved any

i love the new gnr cause it doesnt sound like anything ive ever heard and i love that

i want some musical evolution i want some growth i want a sound i havent really heard b4

the quotes are a great start

telling a story by piecing together tons of quotes from movies speeches etc is amazing

once again dont refer to the quotes as MLK quotes,

MLK quotes are the most famous but there are more quotes from other sources not just mlk

my favs are actually the micheal j fox quotes

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2004, 08:27:44 PM »

That is funny because most people I gave the song madagascar to said they thought the middle part with all the quotes was cool.
Just because you think its stupid does not mean others do too.

And that is why I stated numerous times that that is just MY opinion.  I say "I disagree.  This is supposed to be Rock and Roll and IMO those quotes are gay. "  Read the whole post please.

I think those quotes are fucking gay!!!!!!!!!!!  Just my OPINION.  
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2004, 08:46:15 PM »

I agree with you D.

I want GNR to be a Rock & Roll band.

Well, it's not. You want the old band, then you can pull out AFD and listen to it. If you want 1989 GNR, then you may as well not even bother to buy CD if it's ever released. Sorry that they are not the old band.

i want 1989 gnr, is that so bad?

i hate electronic mucis, is that so bad?

To answer your question, no. But what is, is that you are the one on this board (GNR) and complaining that you don't like their style of music.

This is supposed to be Rock and Roll and IMO those quotes are gay.? Just Ilike think thoat shit at the end of Breakdown is gay.

Sorry that it's too "gay" for you. Maybe you could form better opinions and express them differently if your vocabulary wasn't limited to "it's gay."

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2004, 08:58:28 PM »

i fuckin love the end of breakdown i think its fuckin awesome

our sole hero in his sole mobile! that line is fuckin awesome how he sings that

all of it is awesome!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
TyRod Tulip
Banned
VIP

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2004, 09:05:06 PM »

But what is, is that you are the one on this board (GNR) and complaining that you don't like their style of music.

Well I thought the topic was open for discussion, since D started a thread entitled "madagascar is the most ingenius yet misunderstood gnr song".  I wasn't complaining, just stating opinion.

Those quotes are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Sorry about not expressing myself in a manner suitable to you).

-TyRod
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2004, 09:08:27 PM »

VR is not even like old gnr.
VR is going backwards musically while Axls is progressing.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2004, 09:19:10 PM »

maddy is awsome, i thought when i first heard it that it was gonna have some long solo's n' keep riding like Coma, the quotes blew me away, i just wasnt expecting it,  IM GONNA TELL YOU A STORY...n' i went what the fuck, this is cool.

i understand its your opinion TyRod...but i think its a gay opinion, veeery gay confused

thats just IMHO

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2004, 10:04:55 PM »

Let's not turn this into another GN'R versus VR thread.  We've had enough of those.  Anyway, how can anyone say that VR isn't progressing?  This is their first album so where are they progressing from?   If they still sound exactly the same on their third album, then we can say that they aren't progressing.

Please, direct all comments about that question to the VR section.   Wink
TyRod Tulip
Banned
VIP

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2004, 10:07:29 PM »

Who mentioned VR?  This thread has nothing to do with VR.  No one has even mentioned VR inthis thread, so your post is a little misplaced I think.

And Clintron, a person's opinion is just an opinion.  To call someone's opinion gay is pretty unimaginative .... kinda like those fucking gay quotes in maddy. Smiley

-TyRod-
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2004, 10:11:51 PM »

i just wasnt expecting it,  IM GONNA TELL YOU A STORY...n' i went what the fuck, this is cool.
same here....Thats why its cool, its something different and creative yet it works....As long as every song is different but work cd will be fine. They dont need every song to have samples or quotes but if 1 or 2 do then i have no problem with it at all.....

maddy is such a great fukin song..particularly the rio version..gives me chills

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2004, 10:27:54 PM »

sweet...
 i just downloaded an unofficial film clip of MADDY on kazaa, has anyone seen it, its pretty fuckin' cool. I dont know where it is recorded from but on it i could hear more kryboards n' little things here n' there.
but its gay so lets just forget about it hihi

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
Imfuckincrazy
Headliner

Slash is God.

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2004, 11:14:39 PM »

Those quotes are gay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Sorry about not expressing myself in a manner suitable to you).

They are gay? I never heard any homosexual references in those quotes. Perhaps I misunderstood the song?

Sorry that the song/quotes are too complicated for your tiny little mind.

How are VR going backwards?

And Axls what is progressing? Roll Eyes I know that Axl isn't. If he releases something, then we'll talk. As for now, he's not going anywhere.

God, it's bad enough that you go to the VR board for attention, but what does VR have to do with this topic?

I'm a west coast struttin', one bad mother, got a rattle snake suitcase under my arm
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2004, 11:18:54 PM »

VR is not rock n roll like old gnr, like some of you want Axl to be.
My point is no one is complaining that VR does not sound like AFD so why are people complaining the songs from axl we have heard thus far are not rock n roll enough?

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2004, 11:29:07 PM »

VR's musical progression is backed up by the audience they're now reaching getting airplay on formats Axl has never sniffed, and likely never will sniff.

Maddy and The Blues sound like UYI b sides, to me at least.

Very dated...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2004, 11:31:26 PM »

^^

keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
you really think that if madagascar was  offically released it would not get air play?  Roll Eyes

How is maddy dated? Name one song on the radio now or in the last 4-10 years that sounds like it? There is nothing.

The thing is, once axl puts a single out for Cd its going to be everywhere on the radio
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 11:34:24 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2004, 11:48:25 PM »

keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
you really think that if madagascar was  offically released it would not get air play?  Roll Eyes
Maybe on "classic rock" or "real rock", no chance on modern rock.  KROQ and station like it won't touch it.

How is maddy dated? Name one song on the radio now or in the last 4-10 years that sounds like it? There is nothing.

Exactly.  These type songs haven't got any significant airplay on anything but classic rock or real rock stations since 1992-3.

It's a typical power ballad, so anything GNR has done in the past along those lines or Aerosmith for that matter comes to mind.

The thing is, once axl puts a single out for Cd its going to be everywhere on the radio

Not everywhere.

As much as the GNR brand name helps, it has little cred in the modern rock world.

As I've stated before, VR wouldn't have any chance either if they'd chosen Bach, but whaddya know, they get Weiland and
all over KROQ, playing the Weenie Roast and the Rolling Rock Fest...

Again, perception is reality.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2004, 11:50:44 PM »

Chinese democracy would be played on modern rock stations.
And to be honest even if modern rock does not touch  gnr, who really cares, those stations are big into stuff like nickel back, puddle of mudd and linken park.

As for madagascar, the song is very modern with classic elements.
That is very new for this day and age in music.  Its different and does not sound like anything else.  And nothing in the 90s was like madagascar either.

But we wont know until axl puts out the album.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 11:53:30 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2004, 11:59:51 PM »

Chinese democracy would be played on modern rock stations.
And to be honest even if modern rock does not touch  gnr, who really cares, those stations are big into stuff like nickel back, puddle of mudd and linken park.

IMO Chinese Democracy should get a chance at modern rock outlets, but it won't.  It's not just the music anymore, it's the perception.  

Example, let's say "Slither" was recorded by Aerosmith, do you think modern rock would touch it?  Absolutely not.

As for "who really cares", here's a few:  

Record labels
MTV
Concert promotors
Young listeners
Program directors
DJ's

Just a few...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2004, 12:03:43 AM »

I wouldn't discount the ballads.  Lots of people love a good ballad...not just girls!  I've gotten some cds just because I loved the ballad type song I heard on the radio and wanted to hear more from the artist.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: