Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 07:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228473 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 113053 times)
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2004, 11:49:20 PM »

please for once everyone give axl some mad love and props for that

even the haters have to recognize the genius and power of that

reading that fuckin truly moved me

D, it moved me too, but in a way that i am sort of embarassed about.  hihi Sort of similar to when i watch a really cheesy movie and it makes me cry and i wouldn't admit to people that i liked it because it suggests that i have taste that has seriously not evolved.
But Axl is a genuis man, and i give him props, but not for that.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2004, 11:59:27 PM »

I'm baffled that more haven't stressed their discomfort with the MLK interlude.  I mean for the love of God, trivializing MLK quotes with movie lines is borderline offensive, no matter what story is told.  Isn't there also a redux of the Civil War intro somewhere in there? Recycling your previous work is hardly an evolution.  At least plagiarizing someone else can be considered a product of influence, paying an homage if you will....

i absolutely agree with this. Though i do like the song A LOT, i think a lot of the quotes are cheesy and self-important (in the respect that the influence of Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement should not be trivialized in any song like that). i certainly don't expect many people to agree with this though.  hihi

Living colour used MLK new clips in one of their songs years ago along with JKF, so was that wrong too?

The song was "Cult of Personality", and if I remember correctly,
they caught some flack for it, it hardly went by un-noticed.  

The Living Color analogy further proves my point, how can something they did 15 years ago (MLK quotes) be considered any progression musically for Maddy in 2004?  

It can't.

It wasn't considered ground breaking then, it's sure as hell not now.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 12:03:03 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2004, 12:00:53 AM »

I'm baffled that more haven't stressed their discomfort with the MLK interlude.  I mean for the love of God, trivializing MLK quotes with movie lines is borderline offensive, no matter what story is told.  Isn't there also a redux of the Civil War intro somewhere in there? Recycling your previous work is hardly an evolution.  At least plagiarizing someone else can be considered a product of influence, paying an homage if you will....

i absolutely agree with this. Though i do like the song A LOT, i think a lot of the quotes are cheesy and self-important (in the respect that the influence of Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement should not be trivialized in any song like that). i certainly don't expect many people to agree with this though.  hihi

Living colour used MLK new clips in one of their songs years ago along with JKF, so was that wrong too?

The song was "Cult of Personality", and if I remember correctly,
they caught some flack for it, it hardly went by un-noticed.

The Living Color analogy further proves my point, how can something they did 15 years ago (MLK quotes) be considered any progression musically for Maddy in 2004?

It can't.

Axl did not do what living colour did, axl took a bunch of quotes and tied them together to make  a story, big difference

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2004, 12:11:28 AM »

D, it moved me too, but in a way that i am sort of embarassed about.  hihi Sort of similar to when i watch a really cheesy movie and it makes me cry and i wouldn't admit to people that i liked it because it suggests that i have taste that has seriously not evolved.

I didn't like the quotes at all to begin with.  But, now they've grown on me and are just part of the song.  My question to badgirl is...why would you care if people think that you don't have "evolved" tastes?  Music, movies, art...it's not like there are objective criteria for judging these kinds of things.  It's subjective and that's what is so great about it.  I wouldn't want everyone in the world to like exactly what I liked.  To each his/her own.  I love a good cheesy movie.  Whether it makes me cry or not.   Wink
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2004, 12:20:11 AM »

I didn't like the quotes at all to begin with.  But, now they've grown on me and are just part of the song.  My question to badgirl is...why would you care if people think that you don't have "evolved" tastes?  Music, movies, art...it's not like there are objective criteria for judging these kinds of things.  It's subjective and that's what is so great about it.  I wouldn't want everyone in the world to like exactly what I liked.  To each his/her own.  I love a good cheesy movie.  Whether it makes me cry or not.   Wink

sure, i hear what you are saying, and subjectivity is wonderful, but i personally think that there are more objective criterias of taste. I think that certain people have more evolved, like i mentioned, preferences in art, music, literature, etc.. i think a lot of it has to do with intelligence, drive and exposure. i personally think i have absolutely terrible taste in music. i know nothing about musical theory, have little exposure to different types of music (which accounts for my preference for the simpler sounds) and all around like uncomplicated works. So, a lot of things i like i would  not really shout from the rootops.  hihi
But certainly everyone is free to like what they will, but i personally wish i knew more about, well, a lot.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 12:20:52 AM by badgirl » Logged
Sukie
With Arms Wide Open
Legend

I'm NOT a llama!!!

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2004, 12:27:56 AM »

sure, i hear what you are saying, and subjectivity is wonderful, but i personally think that there are more objective criterias of taste. I think that certain people have more evolved, like i mentioned, preferences in art, music, literature, etc.. i think a lot of it has to do with intelligence, drive and exposure. i personally think i have absolutely terrible taste in music. i know nothing about musical theory, have little exposure to different types of music (which accounts for my preference for the simpler sounds) and all around like uncomplicated works. So, a lot of things i like i would  not really shout from the rootops.  hihi
But certainly everyone is free to like what they will, but i personally wish i knew more about, well, a lot.

I totally understand what you are saying.  There are lots of things I'd like to know more about, too.  If I could absorb it by osmosis 'cause I'm basically too lazy to do it any other way.  But, I'm to a point in my life where I don't feel like making excuses for my tastes.  If people want to look down on me because of my taste in ENTERTAINMENT...well, then...fuck 'em.  
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2004, 01:22:59 AM »

whats cheesy about thoseheartfelt quotes?

what people arent allowed to be depressed and sad and arent allow to express their feelings? whats cheesy about that?

i find it very moving

maddy is differnet than dont cry, i didnt mention november rain because it reminds me alot of november rain without the solos

but dont cry's lyrics arent anywhere as metaphoric and deep as madagascar

lyrically on the original dont cry the lyrics are kinda shit and u can tell axl wrote them at an early age

now however the alt version lyrics are wonderful

madagascar has evolved from november rain and dont cry just the longing and sadness in his voice

i mean he makes u feel his pain in maddy like he doesnt do in any song but estranged and the blues

i can really relate to and feel his sense of loss in maddy

plus the lyrics are so deep u can analyze them in your own special way

my meaning of madagascar and every one else would probably have different versions of interpretation

plus the quotes u have to use the quotes

i mean think about it, how much time and effort alone was put into making a whole bunch of different lines tell a story

that shows alone that axl is being very delicate with CD and no wonder its takin so much time

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2004, 06:24:52 PM »

I was listening to Madagascar and then for some reason I just checked the film quotes and asking my self what does this all mean you know war, about colour and freedom and justice and democracy of course what do you think the messages in the song and taking resonability as well just wondering you know when you just randomly think of these things. I'd like to hear what the board member think the message from the film quotes and Martin Lurther King quotes as well adds up 2

EEEERRRR Little boy
Scree
VIP

Waiting

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2004, 10:05:32 PM »

I think the quotes point to the freedom and peace of mankind and fighting to keep it.  The context and in the types of movies the quotes are from (for me) fits this.  

You have Martin Luther King with his 'I Have A Dream' speech which was freedom for blacks from segragation (sp? lazy fucker, couldn't be bothered to spell check myself) and the chance to live as equals with whites and other races.  

Then you have the movies. Mississippi Burning (about a black fathers torment of his young daughter being raped and murdered and knowing there will be no justice for her in that 'white' courtroom, who then takes the law into his own hands by killing those involved.) Cool Hand Luke (A movie about an inmate seeking freedom). Seven (This is where the peace comes in. A man killing each for the seven deadly sins. A line in the movie at the end, Morgan Freemans character says something like "I once said the world is a great place that is worth saving, I believe in the last part." The line in the song also fits: "How can a person grow up with all this around them?")  Casualties of War (Vietnam war, 'nuff said), Braveheart (I think)(William Wallace fought for the freedom of his fellow country man from the (then of course) tyrrinacel (SP?) English 'rulers') .

This is what I feel the song is about (like I said, what I feel, prolly wrong). Flame away if you wish, I won't respond (which will make ya look kinda silly  Tongue ). I am actually interested what others think the song is about.

Cheers

Scree
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:06:23 PM by Scree77 » Logged

Life is a strange thing. Just when you think you've learnt how to use it it's gone.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2005, 04:19:50 PM »

Ok, I'm a GN'R fan and a guitar player and Slash is my hero. So naturally I followed him more than Axl, with all the talk about the amazing new songs I downloaded two so far. Chinese Democracy and Madagascar.

Chinese Democracy-I like it a lot. Its by no means as timeless as say Jungle or YCBM(or whatever your favourite GN'R heavier song is).

Madagascar- On first listen I thought "What the fuck is this utter crap?" Dont flame me I'm just trying to start a healthy debate. The more I listen to it the more I can see all the different textures etc. But still this isn't worthy of waiting so many years and worshipping sum1 who otherwise has effectivly not been around or done anything recently. This song is very different from Axl's other stuff, but it just doesnt do it for me like Axl of the the original GN'R does.

I am certain Axl can produce better songs than Madagascar, I am sorry to all u Axl-ites but i just think its a terrible song. I havent yet heard silk worms or the blues but i do want to so i can judge hius current new stuff more. I dont know Madagascar just doesnt do it for me Sad
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2005, 04:27:42 PM »

I like Mad at nascar, to me it's along the lines of a November Rain or Estranged. I do hope CD will have more rockers on it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it there too. Plus, all we've heard are live versions. Wait until you hear a finished cut and then decide. ok

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
miau
Opening Act

Purrfect grrl

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »

Just download The Blues.

---
Wag your tail!
shaun
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2005, 04:35:18 PM »

Madagascar is the 2nd best song from the new GN'R, it's in 2nd place to The Blues, which hold's the No.1 spot  ok
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2005, 04:40:41 PM »

I can understand some people may not like Madagascar Because of one thing: the rythm box instead of real drums. I think it's a huge mistake for this song. Madagascar doesn't sound the best it can. They should use real drums and a different tempo. If I were Axl, I wouldn't use a rythm box. However the keyboard intro+ the middle with speachs sound great.
An advice: download "the blues", especially the RIO 2001 version, the best one ever of that song. This is the best new gn'r song IMO.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2005, 04:52:17 PM »

At first madagascar was aright; a year later it was real good and now it's amazing.
I have all the soundboard version, but i downloaded a rough copy from japan, and I heard great guitar/other details i couldn't hear before. I'll try to record the whole song and release it before axl does so you can see where I'm coming from.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 04:55:42 PM by mr_yoshimaroka » Logged
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2005, 04:58:34 PM »

Shaun is correct. ?The Blues is #1, closely followed by Maddy. ?I love both these songs.
I disagree with Nesquick on which Blues version is best. ?I know there's a big contingent here at HTGTH that favors the faster paced Rio version...but I love the slower version, especially Boston (clearest in my eyes) and Pittsburgh (nice and emotional). ?It reminds me of that quote Axl had for Patience. ?Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it was Izzy who came to the group with the music, and then Axl said, "we fucked it up the ass," meaning they took it and slowed it down. ?Voila! ?Presto! ?Now it's a timeless classic. ? peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2005, 05:12:08 PM »

Madagascar was song that quickly grew on me when I first heard I was like its ok but when I listened to better quality versions of the songs I thought it was just amazing. I'd have to say The Blues is my fav new GN'R track I think the rio version is best because the faster tempo although the 2002 version is just as good but I prefer Rio.

EEEERRRR Little boy
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2005, 05:18:01 PM »

i downloaded a rough copy from japan, and I heard great guitar/other details i couldn't hear before.
i fuckin love the madagascar played in japan  beer vma and england is good too  Smiley

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
mentalradio
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »

IMHO, the best version of "The Blues" is the one from their first Vegas concert, at the House of Blues. It's more
up tempo than other versions.   ok
billsguy
Rocker

« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »

though i do like madagascar, i do see where the poster is coming from.  i just went through a phase of liking mostly appetite stuff, the real hard, which is definitely the opposite of madagascar.  i agree that i'd rather see stuff like appetite, but i don't think we will.  the blues is solid, as is chinese democracy, but neither gets to the energy level of appetite.

Mike
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: