Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:36:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Marilyn Manson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marilyn Manson  (Read 176425 times)
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2005, 05:38:34 PM »

a few things-
he never killed any puppies
he's a revend crowned by anton le vey in the church of satanism. we're not talkin' sacrificing goats and virgins here, most people don't even know what anton le vey's satanism is. it's more of a life philosophy, social darwinism, survival of the fittest, it's not about worshipping Satan, it's about worshipping yourself because man is responsible for his own good and evil and that satan is just a manifestation created by humans to justify their baser nature.

i'm pretty sure he's never glorified hitler

his upbringing wasn't 'normal'
definitely not 'normal'
he didn't grow up in some crazed cult where they worshipped satan or anything but
it's not like he was just your average kid one day who decided to become Marilyn Manson.. it was more of a transformation.

robots.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2005, 01:05:39 PM »

i dont understand what the church of satan is.

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2005, 03:07:28 PM »

i just watched rock am ring 2003 and he kicks john 5 in face then john 5 goes totally insane....its crazy.

html sucks
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »

i just watched rock am ring 2003 and he kicks john 5 in face then john 5 goes totally insane....its crazy.

was that on tv or something or do u have a copy of it? i'd really like to get some clips of manson live.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2005, 04:57:38 PM »

was that on tv or something or do u have a copy of it? i'd really like to get some clips of manson live.

Thats not a good show to base him off. Id go 2001 or before. Anything after he got all fat and his voice sounded crappy.

Mechanical animals era is a good look, all glam, its mad.

Regarding the show, it is sometimes shown on MTV, but that one is rarely due to the incident. I downloaded it along time ago. Never even watched it before, noticed it was there put it on, found it to be a poor performance.

html sucks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2005, 05:00:11 PM »

ehhhh...
i understand why he does what he does, however, i still dont like alot of his views...
(aside from killing puppies, being minister at church of satan, WHY KILL THAT PUPPY!!? he did nothin to him!!? Cry )

and if i can, ill look for what i read about whatever he said about Hitler, maybe i misinterpreted it, but ill look...

peace

C'mon, how old r u? He hasn't killed puppies or abducted school children or any of the rest. Don't believe everything you hear.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2005, 07:39:11 PM »

hey guys i found an awesome review for Mechanical Animals thought u might like it:

?                                            Shock. Cock. Rock. Marilyn Manson. No

Well, yes. Usually I'd wear a mask of cynicism and merely say Marilyn Manson (the man and the band) aren't too worth of praise. But the first time I heard 'Mechanical Animals' I arrived at a surprising turning point. I began to realise that away from the mass market shock image that the kiddies love so well, well, somewhere in there was both groovy music sharing a depth with The Beatles (ie "catchy" "disposable") and above that pretty fine lyrics.

'Great Big White World' sets about making the long play take flight. I have to take my hat off, aside from sounding great I really am quite partial to the lyrics. My hat shall now remain off until the end. Far from being shock-cock-rock this song is an articulate and thought-provoking examination of a world that has lost all its colour, or rather has been drained of all its colour. Naturally in some respects this is a modern topic for a song, and in other respects it's like some old folk song suggesting the world isn't as good as it once was. This is the thing with Marilyn Manson, whilst some do their best to label him as a symptom of our times others see clearly that he is far from post-modern and owes more to times gone by such as the 60s movement and 70s intellectual rock.

This album has said to be rooted in David Bowie's soil. Shudder. The fact seems to me as being that when Marilyn Manson isn't trying to be Alice Cooper he indeed equals if not surpasses the standard set by David Bowie. This album proves that away from trying to shock, the pretender of darkness really can write darn decent songs.

People tend to avoid the words concept and album these days, which puzzles me because if you look in the right places you'll find a plethora of stunning concept albums. For instance Pink Floyd's 'Animals' ought to be as well respected as George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' such is the artistry and political bite. 'Mechanical Animals' is certainly a concept album to my mind, a brilliant one. The name itself reveals the concept; this is a tour-de-force expos? of the dehumanisation of modern life. "The living are dead," sings he. The cover art is rather stunning also; an asexual Manson appears in a startlingly dehumanised grey synthetic costume. The message is strong and coherent throughout the album, it could have easily fallen flat on its face and ended up looking pretentious but they have pulled it off in fine fashion.

'Mechanical Animals' is filled with catchy glam rock songs, the rest of the band are constantly maintaining a quality and power in the music that really delivers the lyrics to pretty much their full potential. A rare feat in itself. 'The Dope Show' sticks in mind as well as a Beatles pop song, it's that catchy yet isn't quite as cheesy. 'Mechanical Animals' the title track is brilliant, it sets the mood of the whole album. The fourth track 'Rock Is Dead' is a fine example of why reviewers often mention glam rock when talking of this album. It isn't the Slade style cringe-worthy glam rock, it is just that songs like 'Rock Is Dead' aren't afraid to be both ultra-catchy and utterly overproduced, and naturally over the top. It's a great song and tells us that, "God is in the TV." Yes!

The modern day angst continues with 'Disassociative' that at times almost verges on all out space rock, slightly less drugged but similar to something you could imagine the mighty Hawkwind spewing out of their mashed up heads. Ah Hawkwind! Wish I'd been alive then. -an aside: I picked up 'Masters Of The Universe' for ?1.99 in the HMV bargain bin, and found it to be one of the best albums I've ever bought. Spaced out.- Speaking of which, 'The Speed Of Pain' has a very Hawkwind style computerised voice but the genius is having an acoustic guitar at the root of the mix. I even hear backing singers in there somewhere, once more proving to the whole world that sometimes you really can consider overproduced music as good music. God forgive me. Bob.

'Posthuman' is something that I'd like to lick. I like to lick things I like, see. Lines such as, "God is just a statistic," and even better, "God is a number you cannot count to," really float the boat that is me. The music is manic and in keeping with things rather unnatural sounding, it pounds away like a big mental computer going ape-poop in a big mental robot factory. Or something. 'I Want To Disappear' sounds just like T-Rex. I mean, "just like," T-Rex. It's spooky and rather nails the whole Glam Rock tag. And so on.

All I can say about 'I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me)' is: "yeah baby." Actually there is a lot more to this song than what one may presume from the title/chorus line. I think it's best explained by the following lyric: "There's a hole in our soul that we fill with dope, and we're feeling fine." And perhaps I'll convince you what a brilliant song this is with another quote: "Raised to be stupid, taught to be nothing at all." This a provocative commentary on the hopeless and unnatural society which we persons have built up around ourselves. And check out the backing singers, lovely touch. 'New Model No. 15' continues, "I'm as fake as a wedding cake," and so on. 'User Friendly' is a groovy name for meaningless whorish sex. The lyrics, "Use me like I was a whore / Relationships are such a bore / delete the ones you've fucked," are in my view spectacular. It's sad; it captures the mood of disillusioned youth perfectly, as the entire album does.

'Fundamentally Loathsome' features rather tender vocals (well, compared to usual). Makes me giggle anyway. Ah, hate you feel, but love is not real. Bless him. And so on. 'The Last Day On Earth' is by now standard and doesn't go anywhere new. Not that I'm suggesting the album is too long, or too samey. It isn't. I just wanted something to say. The intro to 'Coma White' sounds just like something else but I can't think of what. Shame. Cool all the same. Actually to stop being flippant for a second, this is a really moving song. It captures hollowness in drugs dependence and explains that no matter how many drugs you take to escape the world you can never escape yourself. Whilst certainly not an anthem, it is a darn fine song to end on.

~~TIP~~
Stick 'Mechanical Animals' in a CD-ROM and find a program that shows you two paintings. Oh and the tip? - don't bother. Arf.
~~TIP~~

Listen: If Marilyn Manson didn't market themselves by grabbing hold of cheap symbols and pretending to be Alice Cooper not only would they have artistic integrity but also.. nobody would know about them at all. See?

This is a challenge. Not because it's hard to listen to -it's very easy to listen to, you could even play it to your Gran, no go on, do!- but because you have to put aside your own prejudices about little Gothy kids or rather brats whom you know worship Marilyn Manson. They make him the Anti-Christ Superstar. Well forget that, he's about as much of an Anti-Christ as Freddie Mercury was. What he is however is a reasonably talented songwriter and singer with a whacky pop-metal band behind him. The result isn't the crumble of society, it is rather a fine album that even verges on the camp at times. It's simply a joy to listen to.

To go deeper than that isn't really necessary. But if you do dig in what you will find is a surprising depth to the lyrics. They capture a certain body of thinking upon these post-modern times that is neither post-modern nor old. Whilst the post-modernist doesn't really seem to care, Manson seems to present his anger at what a crock of shit life and the world is. In that sense Manson to me represents one of the most romantic artists around right now. Hoorah for him. And for us being able to listen to him. Moaning at least is caring, which is better than most manage.

My hat. Blown away.

Rasputin
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2005, 08:46:58 PM »

a few things-
he never killed any puppies
he's a revend crowned by anton le vey in the church of satanism. we're not talkin' sacrificing goats and virgins here, most people don't even know what anton le vey's satanism is. it's more of a life philosophy, social darwinism, survival of the fittest, it's not about worshipping Satan, it's about worshipping yourself because man is responsible for his own good and evil and that satan is just a manifestation created by humans to justify their baser nature.

i'm pretty sure he's never glorified hitler

his upbringing wasn't 'normal'
definitely not 'normal'
he didn't grow up in some crazed cult where they worshipped satan or anything but
it's not like he was just your average kid one day who decided to become Marilyn Manson.. it was more of a transformation.

ok, first, never said sacrificed, you people seem to think that just cause i dont like him i misunderstand him
ive read alot about him, I DONT LIKE HIM I DONT LIKE HIS MUSIC!

HE SAID HE KILLED A PUPPY!

and again incase you didnt READ IT i said MAYBE i misinterpreted that quote on Hitler, but from waht i remember, he was talking in a good manner about him

and another thing, i dont care what "type" of "Satanism" it is,
ripping up a Bible (i saw a fuckin pic of that so dont give me that "he never" bull shit)? its still evil and sends a bad message
now i know WHY he does what he does, and most of it i JUST DONT agree with, however, being an individual, being different, fine, tryin to lead people away from what they believe in, i dont agree with

and Izzy, NEVER FUCKIN SAID HE ABDUCTED A CHILD!
i read a quote he said he killed a puppy - -'
FYI, I dont believe hardly ANYTHING i read, i usually look further into it, because i know ALOT about particularly someone like Mason WILL be toatally twisted, but, when he said he did it..
(and i dont think, "i came from Detroit, i thought it would fly" will work this time  Tongue)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:53:28 PM by Rasputin » Logged
Rasputin
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2005, 08:57:37 PM »

'The recent Internet postings accusing rock musician Marilyn Manson of killing puppies, chickens or any other animal in concert are false'

ok, so there, maybe your right, however, i did find a quote, maybe he's just jokin on people who made that shit up, but im not lyin i read somewhere HE said he did...

still..  i just dont like his music..
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2005, 09:00:24 PM »

ripping up a Bible doesn't make some one evil.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Rasputin
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2005, 11:58:52 PM »

it sends a bad message, and he knows it
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2005, 12:12:03 AM »

I think he was going more for shocking people.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2006, 08:31:11 PM »

does anyone have the bonus track for Mechanical AnimalsHuh if u do could u post it to download on usendit or whatever, please?

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2006, 07:09:18 PM »

does anyone have the bonus track for Mechanical AnimalsHuh if u do could u post it to download on usendit or whatever, please?

wasnt that the random weird sound one?

html sucks
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2006, 09:03:54 PM »

i dont understand what the church of satan is.
'
most people don't even know what anton le vey's satanism is

A Handy way for Lavey to get some  easy cash and publicity?
A perfectly normal interpretation of "common sense" for someone who is a selfish, self centered asshole?
Collection of flashy quotes and guidelines Lavey took credit for  even though majority of them came from random european literacy dating back to 19th century?

"You are your own god, and obey no rules.Now, here's a set of rules you need to obey to be a good satanist:"
Smiley

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2006, 09:13:56 PM »

I hope I get to see him live! I've heard from friends that he's awsome!
And I really like his music.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2006, 06:18:37 AM »

Strange that prevailing attitudes have it that Mechanical albums was rejected by the fans and marked the beginning of the end for Manson...

....and yet every fan of his music i've ever encountered claims it as a superb effort

Personally i think its his best album too - the review above is abit OTT (its nothing like the Beatles in any way) but its still a damn fine listen and remarkably consistent

Quick! To the bandwagon!
slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2006, 06:31:49 AM »

manson's music is cool

my personal favorite is the death song  ok

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
Lara
I Finck therefore I am
Legend

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2006, 08:47:52 AM »

My favorite are Fundamentally Loathsome, This is the New Shit and (S)aint.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »

Mechanical Animals is my favorite Manson album aswell.
it's hell of a functional lil thing.
Lyrics are mostly brilliant, which is kinda obvious. Manson is an excellent writer.

What really makes this album stand out from ACSS or HolyWood(not to mention the more irrelevant Manson records) is the music/overall sound.
IMO the band has always been kinda plagued by very mediocre composing. Mot of the music before and after MA is just kinda uninnovative, unmemorable &pretty simple hardrock that is hidden somewhere in the backround, giving room for Manson's great voice and allowing it to be the main musical instrument of the records.

But noit during MA! No sssir. Atleast not as much as on other albums. I have always LOVED the twisted glampoprock vibe of MA. Somehow, music in general is just so much more innovative, experimental and creative than on any other MM album.Extrenmely well produced.

I really got into manson around the time MA came out.Like Izzy, I also recall that there were surprisingly large amount of bad press around it.
Many fans hated it, any many critics kinda laughed at it.Both accusing Manson of "selling out" and choosing a safe and "mainstream" way of doing things, instead of continuing to be "dangerous"
Which is utter bullshit.
MA was very daring and surprising direction to move, career-wise. Much more so than some dull "hay i'm still evil and satanic, witness my hatred of christianity, which i wrote 15 songs about" - excuse of ACSS II would have ever been.

Hail Mechanical Animals!!!!

A very cool live version of Speed Of Pain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtSE2fQdnE&search=speed%20of%20pain
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 09:24:32 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: