Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 10:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228146 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The GN'R vs Nirvana thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R vs Nirvana thread  (Read 68082 times)
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2005, 01:13:39 PM »

Duh Axl, who else? Kurt couldn't play guitar, sing or even write decent songs.

your so dumb! Tongue
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2005, 05:41:57 PM »

Duh Axl, who else? Kurt couldn't play guitar, sing or even write decent songs.

your so dumb! Tongue

But he's so right!

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Philly Rose
Crazy AND German
Headliner

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2005, 05:47:34 PM »

the last song on nirvana concerts was destruction, that says a lot. mr selfdestruction kurt. i go with axl rose in 2004.

Forget about me. You can't tell me.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2005, 08:29:11 AM »

Kurt vs. Axl...

That's like comparing a bicycle to a Mercedes Benz.? Wink
Why the extra wheel? More like a unicycle and a Mercedes Benz! hihi

Fuck 'Em All.
SLASH2365
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2005, 07:47:27 PM »

no way. Kurt Cobain was WAY more talented than Axl could ever be. Axl is a fuckin recluse and a sellout. Kurt was a much better lyricist and songwriter, and to everyone who disagrees, he had really good riffs. By the way, SLTS was WAY more popular than NV or SCOM.

"The Blues are realy important, that's where most of the hard rock n' roll came from." - Izzy Stradlin
*RightNextDoorToHull*
Headliner

G n' F'n R's!

« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2005, 07:55:58 PM »

Random. Everyone is always comparing Kurt and Axl!

I think that if you go out and ask anyone on the street they're going to opt for the dead guy (because everyone becomes a martyr when they die young, whether you like it or not!) rather than the guy who's just plain... not there.  Undecided
Just my opinion though  Wink

Em Xx

"The Sex, The Drugs, The Violence, THE SHOCKING TRUTH!"
Bad_Apple
Rocker

Oh my distorted smile

« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »

I'd havta agree w/ *rightnextdoor....
and yeah, it's comparing whats better to burn out/fade away.  I think ppl idolize Kurt (although many ppl idolize axl as well)...and remember, we're not comparing who is "better" just whose year it was (in 2004).  Obvioulsy both are/were critical musicians....
we'd havta tally up record sales for the year, murch. sales, ebay sales, radio airplay, public + media opinion...so its tough to say.
IMO, I can't really say...but I do keep a good ear to the ground in terms of media (I read a lot of music mags/music shows...) and I've noticed WAY more coverage w/ gnr...I think a lot of it hasta do w/ VR (!!) and the GH.  I didn't see that much coverage on Nirvana's box set...surprisingly!

"in a world he did not create, he will go through it as if it were his own making; half man, half beast, I don't know what it is, but its weird and its pissed off and it calls itself Slash"
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2005, 08:35:03 AM »

he had really good riffs.
Er, according to who? Ask any fucking guitarist what he thinks is a better riff , SLTS or SCOM/NV... The solo for SLTS is the tune for the chorus, played out on guitar, for starters  hihi . Any fucking kid can play that.

Fuck 'Em All.
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »

he had really good riffs.
Er, according to who? Ask any fucking guitarist what he thinks is a better riff , SLTS or SCOM/NV... The solo for SLTS is the tune for the chorus, played out on guitar, for starters? hihi . Any fucking kid can play that.

Kurt came up with some great riffs!!...."ask any guitartist whats the better riff".... fuck off drool...There is no "better riff"!!!..Classical guitar is alot harder to play than rock but it doesn't make it better music! A fan of classical music might think so, same way nirvana fans would enjoy Kurts simple riffs over a complicated GnR riff. and vice versa. How many "riffs" has Axl ever written anyways?  By the way "any kid", (in fact the majority of people) can't play Kurts tunes properly, especially while attempting to sing them , let along write the fuckers!  Kurt and Axl are both one of the best in modern rock music and can't be compared to each other.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2005, 05:05:52 AM »

Fuck You! I'm tired of arguing. You're right about one thing though, Axl and Kurt should'nt be compared. That was what my first post was abt! You can go play your classical "harder-to-play" Smells Like Teen Shit, for all i care...

Fuck 'Em All.
Assman
Opening Act

Ass man, always ass.

« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2005, 11:43:40 AM »

I agree with a couple of you. Since Kurt died young, people will go with him, but of course on this board most people will go with Axl.

In my opinion Axl is a lot more exciting. AND if Axl would have died in 91-92 he would be up there with Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and the others. Damn right!

Of course I'm glad he is still alive, cause when/if the album comes out it's gonna be the biggest release this decade..
Tied-Up
VIP

« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2005, 10:31:50 PM »

OK here's my two cents...

Axl is the bigger star. 

Reality Check:  Kurt is dead.  People may have loved his stuff, but I think the reality is (although we'll never really know) is that if he hadn't blown his brains out (or someone did it for him, whatever theory you choose to accept) he would have probably gone the route other bands before him have --> been successful, and then the music genre starts to die away to make way for the next big thing. 

The only thing that has made Kurt a legend is the fact that he decided to take his life away from his fans before they were ready to let go.  Had he not have killed himself/gotten killed, I doubt his legend would be what it is today.  We have gotten a few "new" previously unpublished works, but, he can't create music anymore.  Because he's dead.  So anything "new" we get isn't actually new, it's just stuff that they kicked around before he died.

Axl on the other hand can actually still create music.   That he has chosen not to release it yet doesn't make him any less able to do it.  So, the one with the potential to be the bigger star is obviously Axl. 

And besides, Nirvana is ok... but, compared to Guns? 

Of course, it's all just my opinion, but whose opinion did you expect me to express, anyway?
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2005, 05:59:35 PM »

I love Kurt and Nirvana to death but Im sorry

but Axl Rose is the definition of the word Rock Star  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Jungleboy
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2005, 10:10:52 PM »

I dunno, I love both bands, but while I think GNR is coming back, especially with greatest hits out, I think Nirvana, and Kurt, retain more star power, least from what I see. If CD would get released though, I think GnR would dominate, lol
mitchejw
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2005, 10:36:55 AM »

As to be expected, the antithesis of rock has his opinion of Guns and feels he needs to offer it up...

Get in the Ring: And Insult Axl Rose
?They?re really talentless people, and they write crap music, and they?re the most popular rock band on the Earth right now. I can?t believe it.? ?Kurt Cobain on Guns N? Roses

what I can't understand is how the world turned in to grunge lovers because of this guy...I know there are some Nirvana lovers out there but how can Kurt Cobain make any comments about "talent"...aside from power chords...Kurt's orignal catalog would be empty. Although Power chords are very important, they don't require much talent to play.

Also, when u watch Guns, you have a good time. Kurt's songs are all about how fucked up and depressed he is. He sings in a long, drawn out tone. Why was everyone so enthralled in songs that were meant to make u sad and depressed?

Atleast we can understand what Axl is saying...and I know he was thinking he was being "artsy" by singing the way he did...I say screw that. Unnunciation and communicating are two key parts to singing.

If Kurt thought he was being cool with his lack of unnunciation than he should remember that Zubba pants were cool when he was spouting out his artsy tones.
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2005, 10:42:17 AM »

Sometimes I feel like you're beating a Dead Horse..

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
mitchejw
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2005, 10:47:12 AM »

k
Skeletor
Paha keisari
Legend

Oyez! Oyez!

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »

k

Which is why they moved it here Wink

This is what he'd always known
The promise of something greater beyond the water's final horizon
Snakepit__
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2005, 03:35:12 PM »

GN'R vs Nirvana? It's Kurt thats throwing shit on Axl, not the whole band!
And give it up guys, Kurt Cobain is fucking dead.. Is anybody enjoying listening to things Kurt said about Axl 12-13 years ago.. And come on.. We can't do anything, so why do you even bother?  Huh
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2005, 05:01:33 PM »

Kurt was crap

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: