Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:21:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Article Set for Aprils UnCut Magazine
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article Set for Aprils UnCut Magazine  (Read 11434 times)
ChrisPittman
Banned
Rocker

There Was a Time

« on: March 25, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »

It has been 5,650 days since Guns N' Roses last released an album of original material. 24 musicians, 8 producers and 15 million dollars later... What on earth has Axl Rose been doing?

At the time of writing GN?R?s fourth studio album of original material, Chinese Democracy, was tentatively scheduled for release on March 6, 2007. It?s a cautionary phrase, and one which has necessarily featured heavily in most things written about Guns N? Roses these past couple of decades. Should this blessed event actually occur ? and readers would be ill advised to wager and especially beloved children on it ? it will mean that 5,650 days have elapsed between it?s release, and that of the last original studio recordings produced by the group, the Use Your Illusion double set of September 1991.

While the determination of Axl Rose ? GN?R?s sole surviving founder member ? to attend to every detail of his vision is laudable, one can overthink these things. Various reports estimate the running production costs of Chinese Democracy at between $13 million and $15 million. It?s known to have consumed the time, energy ? and very likely the sanity ? of at least either producers and around two dozen musicians ? including Jane?s Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, basketball star Shaquille O?Neal and, on one demo, Brian May.

To put Rose?s fine-tuning of Chinese Democracy in perspective, it?s worth recalling that America?s egress to the Moon took 2,979 days, from John F Kennedy?s announcement of his country?s lunar ambitions May 25, 1961, to Neil Armstrong reaching Tranquility Base on July, 1969. The complete defeat of European fascism was knocked off in a relatively leisurely 2,073 days from Britain?s declaration of war on Germany on September 3, 1939, to General Alfred Jodl?s signing of the document of unconditional surrender on May 7, 1945. Even when measuring Chinese Democracy against other minutely wrought artworks, it feels reasonable to observe, as GN?R?s bewildered paymasters must surely have more than once, that Michelangelo toiled but a trifling four years beneath the Sistine Chapel ceiling. It quite possibly takes Axl Rose that long to tune his guitar.

On December 14 last year, Rose posted on GN?R?s website an open letter to his patient fans, ?To say,? he wrote, ?the making of this album has been an unbearably long and incomprehensible journey would be an understatement.?

This was the last proof that Rose hasn?t entirely parted company with reality, but it did little to answer one irresistible question: what does this man do all day? The following chronology of ? for want of a better word ? ?events? will hopefully go some small way to explaining why Guns N? Roses wandered so far off the reservation, and how arrival of Chinese Democracy came to look as remote and unimaginable a prospects as the arrival of, well, Chinese democracy.

June 6th 06 @ RDS, Dublin, Ireland
July 29th 06 @ Wembley Arena, London, England
ChrisPittman
Banned
Rocker

There Was a Time

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »

September 1991
Guns N' Roses release Use Your Illusion: the twin albums occupy the top two spots on Billboard in their first week on sale. Two-year world tour ensues, noteworthy for riots in St. Louis and Montreal, the departure of guitarist Izzy Stradlin, the recruiting of guitarist Gilby Clarke, and the brief reappearance of Stradlin after Clarke breaks his wrist in a motorbike accident.

July 1993
Use Your Illusion tour ends in Buenos Aires.

November 1993
Release of The Spaghetti Incident?, a not-terrible-good punk and glam covers LP, including The Damned?s ?New Rose?, The Dead Boys? ?Ain?t It Fun?, UK Subs? ?Down On The Farm? and ? as an unlisted track, apparently included as the insistence of Rose over the objections of his bandmates ? ?Look At Your Game, Girl?, by Charles Manson, dingbat leader of murderous ?love & terror cult?, The Family.

1994-1995
The long wander in the wilderness commences. Gilby Clarke fired. Axl Rose?s longtime friend and collaborator, Paul Tobias, recruited on guitar, to the apparent displeasure of other members, especially Slash. Matters worsen when Tobias? solo is featured, at Axl?s insistence, on a version of The Rolling Stone?s ?Sympathy For The Devil?, recorded for the soundtrack of Interview With The Vampire. Rumours emerge of new recordings at LA studio The Complex, apparently reflecting Rose?s burgeoning obsession with industrial music. Izzy Stradlin briefly replaced by Zakk Wylde, who?s subsequently briefly replaced by Izzy Stradlin, who?s subsequently quits again. Suggestion that LA?s rock fraternity is ceasing to take matter entirely seriously comes with the first performance of White Trash Wins Lotto, a satirical musical by former Wall Of Voodoo frontman Andy Prieboy, about a vaguely familiar-sounding heavy metal singer. The musical acquires a solid cult following, and tours sporadically for years.

March 1995
Slash?s side project, Slash?s Snakepit, release decentish debut album, It?s Five O?Clock Somewhere. In ensuing interviews, Slash notably fails to enthuse about new GN?R material, or Rose?s work rate (Axl will later claim that the Slash?s Snakepit songs were material he rejected for GN?R).

1996-1997
Slash quits, as does original bassist Duff McKagan, and long-serving drummer Matt Sorum, leaving Rose the only pre-Use Your Illusion member of GN?R. Slash is eventually replaced by former Nine Inch Nails guitarist Robin Finck, McKagan by former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson, Sorum by session player Josh Freese.

Geffen exec Todd Sullivan, seeking to jolly thing along, sends Rose some CD samplers of various producers. Rose drivers his car over them.

Rose arrested in Phoenix airport for threatening a security worker. GN?R relocate to Rumbo Records, where some of Appetite For Destruction was recorded. The set-up is said to include personalised tapestries, coloured lights, and at least 60 guitars. Geffen give Rose $1 million to get on with it, and offer a bonus of another $1million if the album is delivered by March 1999.

February 1999
Rose fined $500 for the Phoenix airport incident.

July 1999
According to a report in The LA Times, Chinese Democracy will be released in the summer of 2000.

August 1999
Finck takes sabbatical to tour with Nine Inch Nails.

November 1999
Guns N? Roses? first original material in eight years is released, a track called ?Oh My God?, which features on the soundtrack of not-very-good Schwarzenegger movie End Of Days. It isn?t very good. Contrary to rumour, the track is not named after catchphrase of Rose?s accountant. The arguably sarcastically titled Live Era 87-93 is also released.

Two other toiling on Chinese Democracy, engineer Billy Howerdel and drummer Josh Freese, form another band entirely, A Perfect Circle, and bash out an album, which sells nearly two million copies. Freese, not unreasonably, quits. Bryan Mantia, formerly of Primus, replaces him. Veteran avant-garde guitarist Buckethead joins. Noted for wearing a featureless mask and a KFC tub, he later demands that a chicken coop be built in a recording studio. Axl tells Rolling Stone that GN?R have, for reason surpassing understanding entirely re-recorded debut album Appetite For Destruction.

June 2000
Axl plays his first live gig in seven years with Gilby Clarke?s The Starfuckers, at LA?s Cat Club.

October 2000
Rose plays Rolling Stone about a dozen new tracks, uncluding ?Catcher In The Rye?, ?Oklahoma? and ?IRS?. Chinese Democracy is reported to be ?loosely scheduled? for summer 2001.

January 2001
GN?R play a New Year?s Eve set at LA?s House OF Blues, followed with a show at the Rock In Rio festival. Summer European tour announced.

May 2001
Summer European tour cancelled, due to Buckethead?s mystery stomach ailment. Tour rescheduled for winter.

November 2001
Rescheduled European winter tour cancelled, for feat that it would ?slow progress? on Chinese Democracy. Then-manager Doug Goldstein insists that Rose has spent ?every waking minute of every day during the last five years writing, recording and producing the record?.

December 2001
GN?R play two shows in Las Vegas, Slash refused entry, dashing hopes of a Nigel Tufnel-style return.

Paul Tobias leaves, replaced by Richard Fortus, ex-Psychedelic Furs.

August 2002
Chinese Democracy world tour begins, with album of the same name still, ironically, unfinished. Even more ironically, the tour begins in Hong Kong, possibly the only place where the notion of Chinese Democracy seems even more dysfunctional. Asian European concerts follow, along with ?surprise? appearance at MTV Awards.

November 2002
North American leg of Chinese Democracy tour begins. First show, in Vancover, is cancelled when Rose fails to show up. Riot ensues.

December 2002
GN?R fail to show up at Philadelphia show. Riot ensues. Tour cancelled.

June 2003
Tommy Stinson tells Billboard that Chinese Democracy will be released before the end of the year.

February 2004
Universal Records inform Rose that paying for the Chinese Democracy?s completion is now his problem.

March 2004
GN?R?s Greatest Hits released, despite legal attempts to prevent it by Axl, Slash and Duff Buckethead quits. A statement from GN?R describes Buckethead as ?inconsistent and erratic in both his behaviour and his commitment?, which is like being called ?damp? by a fish.

August 2005
Slash and Duff launch legal proceedings against Axl Rose, accusing him of cheating the, out of royalties.

February 2006
Three tracks from Chinese Democracy leaked online ? ?There Was A Time?, ?The Blues?, ?IRS?. The latter becomes the firsts leak MP3 ever to make US rock radio airplay charts. While celebrating his 44th birthday in New York, Axl throws an impromptu listening party for revellers, playing several tracks from Chinese Democracy.

March 2006
Axl responds to Slash and Duff?s lawsuit by filing a counter-suit, and issuing a statement calling Slash an ?opportunist and manipulator?. Axl claims that Slash showed up at his home in October 2005, making disobliging remarks about the guitarist?s bandmates in Velvet Revolver. Velvet Revolver frontman Scott Weiland retaliates with a website posting calling Axl a ?fat, Botox-faced, wig-wearin? fuck?, and ?a frightened little man?. So there.

April 2006
Spin magazine?s April Fool?s joke is a review of Chinese Democracy.

May 2006
GN?R play first shows in four years in New York before embarking on a 77-date, 23-country tour. Axl gets twatted by Tommy Hilfiger in a nightclub for reasons that remain maddeningly opaque.

June 2006
Axl goes to the British Grand Prix, and gives minute-long interview on grid to ITV?s Martin Brundle, an exercise in mutual bafflement comparable to two dogs attempting to teach each other mah jong. Mantia departs paternity leave, replaced by Frank Ferrer. Axl arrested in Stockholm following an exchange of views with a hotel security guard, during which the guardis allegedly bitten in the leg. After a night in the cells, he pays a fine and compensation to the guard.

July 2006
Newcastle gig aborted after Axl objects to having things thrown at him. At Wembley, Axl departs show early owing to illness, replaced by former Skid Row singer, and opening act, Sebastian Bach.

January 2007
Axl reported to be working on ?final vocals? for Chinese Democracy in a studio in Vegas. For what it?s worth, tracks known, believed or rumoured to exist include ?Better?, ?Catcher In The Rye?, ?Chinese Democracy?, ?IRS?, ?If The World?, ?Prostitute?, ?Sorry?, ?The Blues?, ?Madagascar?. World declines, on balance, to hold breath.

June 6th 06 @ RDS, Dublin, Ireland
July 29th 06 @ Wembley Arena, London, England
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »

So there has been a few problems....

I blame Buckethead smoking

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »

and Merck

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:13:34 PM »

A statement from GN?R describes Buckethead as ?inconsistent and erratic in both his behaviour and his commitment?, which is like being called ?damp? by a fish.

Thats a great new spin on an old joke!  rofl

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:19:23 PM »

I think ive read this article already, or theyve pinched lots of it from somewhere else. it really was a big waste of time and paper to write an article based on a march release date when you know the article wont be out til after that date.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
anythinggoes
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 06:23:07 PM »

I think ive read this article already, or theyve pinched lots of it from somewhere else. it really was a big waste of time and paper to write an article based on a march release date when you know the article wont be out til after that date.

yeah i read it a couple weeks ago
Super-Ecwfan1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 12:17:10 AM »

Yeah the fact that Buckethead had them build a coop in the recording studio is pretty old news . The only new details is Universial telling Axl he'll have to pay to finish the album in 2004 and the fact in 1997 he drove his car over a disc a Geffen exec gave him to listen to new producers. That sounds like something Axl would do.
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 12:40:52 AM »

Yeah the fact that Buckethead had them build a coop in the recording studio is pretty old news . The only new details is Universial telling Axl he'll have to pay to finish the album in 2004 and the fact in 1997 he drove his car over a disc a Geffen exec gave him to listen to new producers. That sounds like something Axl would do.

Those aren't new details either, but it's not some type of breaking news article.  It's basically just giving a timeline of the album's production.
Edward Rose
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:08:19 AM »

So there has been a few problems....

I blame Buckethead smoking

I could SWEAR that's Tawnee Stone in your avatar  rofl

...in 1997 he drove his car over a disc a Geffen exec gave him to listen to new producers. That sounds like something Axl would do.

I still say this is in the top 5 coolest things a rock star has ever done  hihi

KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 02:03:00 AM »

It is a novel,like a big trip for all of us.. Undecided

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 02:09:41 AM »

I do remember Axl taking some of the blame for the show up in Maine, but blaming Buckethead for some of the bands problems? ?Come on now...we all know theres more than that to it.
jc524
Rocker

I should have known you're crazy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 02:32:31 AM »

Cool timeline

not full of errors and shit like most of these things

thanks for posting  ok

Fucked up and out of place
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 03:00:48 AM »

February 2006
Three tracks from Chinese Democracy leaked online ? ?There Was A Time?, ?The Blues?, ?IRS?. The latter becomes the firsts leak MP3 ever to make US rock radio airplay charts. While celebrating his 44th birthday in New York, Axl throws an impromptu listening party for revellers, playing several tracks from Chinese Democracy.

Nice read, pretty accurate, though The Blues was never leaked.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
Bona
Opening Act

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 03:18:53 AM »

Source: http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=630
Edward Rose
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 03:44:06 AM »

I do remember Axl taking some of the blame for the show up in Maine,

Hmm, I DON'T remember Axl taking some of the blame for what happened in Maine. I recall city officials seeming to be hell bent on triggering civil unrest, and Axl having no other choice than to cancel the gig. And your bold words above are exactly the kinds of words that will crawl through the veins of bb readers like millions of spiders, and then be "general fact" 6 months from now in another discussion at some other bb... just because of how you casually threw the statement out there. Curious you even MENTION anything about Maine, when nothing about Maine is anywhere in this thread.  Roll Eyes

...but blaming Buckethead for some of the bands problems?  Come on now...we all know theres more than that to it.

No, we don't.

What can I do when there's so many liars
That crawl through your veins
Like millions of spiders
That seek out their victims
And no one's the wiser

I know I get shit here for posting conspiracy theories... but at least I post them as THEORIES. All the while, hundreds of posters are constantly spreading lies and dreaming shit up as fact without any sources. And everyone's afraid to step up to the plate and call them out.

Well FUCK that. I'm gonna stick up for my favorite band and I don't care if 10 of his bb friends pile a bunch of shit under this message. At least a FEW readers will walk away knowing the thing above about Axl taking some of the blame in Maine is bullshit.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 04:04:31 AM by Edward Rose » Logged
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 04:38:30 AM »

December 2001
GN?R play two shows in Las Vegas, Slash refused entry, dashing hopes of a Nigel Tufnel-style return.

I found that pretty funny.

Good read, the timeline seems to be pretty accurate from what I know, but did Izzy really rejoin the band in 1994, if only temporarily? 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 06:01:16 AM by don_vercetti » Logged

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
KaptainKuntra
Rocker

Tres Bizzare, non?

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 05:16:52 AM »

So according to this article it was the 'Final vocals' that were the couple of days of finishing touches needed?
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 05:22:45 AM »

I could be wrong but this article is old news?

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
Warchild
Rocker

Shine on you Crazy Diamond...!!!

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 05:23:32 AM »

I do remember Axl taking some of the blame for the show up in Maine,

Hmm, I DON'T remember Axl taking some of the blame for what happened in Maine. I recall city officials seeming to be hell bent on triggering civil unrest, and Axl having no other choice than to cancel the gig. And your bold words above are exactly the kinds of words that will crawl through the veins of bb readers like millions of spiders, and then be "general fact" 6 months from now in another discussion at some other bb... just because of how you casually threw the statement out there. Curious you even MENTION anything about Maine, when nothing about Maine is anywhere in this thread.? Roll Eyes

...but blaming Buckethead for some of the bands problems?? Come on now...we all know theres more than that to it.

No, we don't.

What can I do when there's so many liars
That crawl through your veins
Like millions of spiders
That seek out their victims
And no one's the wiser

I know I get shit here for posting conspiracy theories... but at least I post them as THEORIES. All the while, hundreds of posters are constantly spreading lies and dreaming shit up as fact without any sources. And everyone's afraid to step up to the plate and call them out.

Well FUCK that. I'm gonna stick up for my favorite band and I don't care if 10 of his bb friends pile a bunch of shit under this message. At least a FEW readers will walk away knowing the thing above about Axl taking some of the blame in Maine is bullshit.

You are right on the money about "some" people constantly spreading lies, and dreaming up shit to fill vapid little lives, But I'm not afraid to step up and call them out..by name if necessary.........Don't care IF I piss people off, beter to be pissed off than pissed on!

Public Officials are NOT always nice "friendly" people........The tightasses in Maine were obviously upset about the band playing there

and making it as difficult as possible for the band to fufill their appearance here.....IF public officials have a bug up their ass, NOT playing

this Venue was a wise decision.......It could have gone down a LOT worse, and the funny thing is people would still be throwing blame

at the band.....between a rock and a hard place, Dammned if you do, and Dammned if you don't..a no-win situation.....

Kudos E.R. Nice Post........

warchild

"It takes Less than Death to Kill a Man
and I'm so sick of dying;
Days of sunshine nights of rain
Doesn't matter when you're crying

Tell me how to make things right
tell the truth from lies..
W
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: