Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 05:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  TWAT Discussion - your opinions
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWAT Discussion - your opinions  (Read 166541 times)
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #820 on: March 17, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »

imo the thing that needs fixin are the choruses in the first part of the song

somehow i believe the vocals dont mesh well with the music.

apart from that TWAT is a masterpiece peace

homo homini lupus...
MarioGunner
Rocker

I should've known you're crazy

« Reply #821 on: March 18, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »

i like it better than "better" actually, it sounds good to me, although i agree with some peopl who posted that the vocals might be a little low. And the lyrics are just right, simply right. I think that axl is using too much synth in this album, but we gotta deal with that. So far it?s bearable.

You can run like a river
Till you end up in the sea
And you run till night is black
And keep on going in your dream

My NEW Trading Space http://www.freewebs.com/mariogunner/
bluesmaster
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #822 on: March 18, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »

I think this is the best of the new songs. The verses in the beginning sound crazy awesome. The outro can seem draggy if you're not paying that much attention, but I think the polished product will be absolutely killer.
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #823 on: March 18, 2006, 11:57:55 PM »

I really like the Lyrics there really cool ... the last screaming part could have been more die hard... its growing on me but i think the worst o the three is IRS

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #824 on: March 19, 2006, 01:59:24 AM »

A friend of mine in the music industry told me TWAT was actually "There Was a Thyme."  Has this been discussed before?  Sounds plausible....

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #825 on: March 20, 2006, 08:00:01 AM »

A friend of mine in the music industry told me TWAT was actually "There Was a Thyme."? Has this been discussed before?? Sounds plausible....

As far as I know Thyme is a herb so I doubt it really, can't see how it fits the rest of the lyrics.

Although I've always wondered what the lyrics would be to the rumoured GNR track Thyme, unless it's a play on words or a pun, I can't believe Axl has written an intire song about herbs  hihi

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Siliconmessiah
« Reply #826 on: March 20, 2006, 02:10:13 PM »

And by the way...it?s not

"...on a pedestal of men........"

it?s

"...on a pedestal of fear....."

just wanted to be a wise-ass to drop by and say that   ok
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #827 on: March 20, 2006, 03:15:32 PM »

Niice ...... wise ass comments are always appreciated lol

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #828 on: March 21, 2006, 12:16:22 AM »

As far as I know Thyme is a herb so I doubt it really, can't see how it fits the rest of the lyrics.

Although I've always wondered what the lyrics would be to the rumoured GNR track Thyme, unless it's a play on words or a pun, I can't believe Axl has written an intire song about herbs? hihi

Well, the song is about a "bitter" break-up whether it's about Slash or an old girlfriend.  and Thyme is a "bitter" herb.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
CDesigner
Headliner

« Reply #829 on: March 21, 2006, 03:46:56 PM »

i may be beating a dead horse here (pun only slightly intended), but i've given this track several chances and it just doesn't do anything for me. it seems like a jumbled mess, much like OMG... although OMG eventually grew on me just a little bit. still isn't anywhere close to top half of GNR tracks, but there was a time... meh. i think i'd rather listen to just about ANY other GNR song, excluding my world. i really like the other 2 leaks, though (and the live songs from 2002, especially the blues and madagascar.) i will definitely give TWAT another chance when (if?) CD is released, because i think a pro-level production could clear a lot of my issues up.
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #830 on: March 21, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »

Dont get me started on my world .... like what was that lol..... ya TWAT is my second fav of the leaks first being better

- Stewie Griffin-
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #831 on: March 21, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »

i may be beating a dead horse here (pun only slightly intended), but i've given this track several chances and it just doesn't do anything for me. it seems like a jumbled mess, much like OMG... although OMG eventually grew on me just a little bit. still isn't anywhere close to top half of GNR tracks, but there was a time... meh. i think i'd rather listen to just about ANY other GNR song, excluding my world. i really like the other 2 leaks, though (and the live songs from 2002, especially the blues and madagascar.) i will definitely give TWAT another chance when (if?) CD is released, because i think a pro-level production could clear a lot of my issues up.

I think it's cool to hear views like that, as much as I disagree.

I love the song and it's my favourite of the new bunch so far, but from what you've said it looks as though CD will be a mixed bag of favourites like along the lines of UYI.

I mean, you line up 10 GN'R fans to tell you their favs off UYI and you'd get 10 different answers and I think that's a really good thing, it means there's something there for everyone ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #832 on: March 22, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »

its really weird of course the CD will sound like UYI because (i dont know if uve heard this or not) the last song in every album has kinda set the mood for the next album like if u liste youll know what i mean so the point is is tat the CD will sound very much like UYI's

- Stewie Griffin-
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #833 on: March 22, 2006, 04:58:50 PM »

And by the way...it?s not

"...on a pedestal of men........"

it?s

"...on a pedestal of fear....."

just wanted to be a wise-ass to drop by and say that? ?ok

the printed lyrics in the CD will be "on a pede tal of men" Grin
littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #834 on: March 23, 2006, 08:53:11 AM »

It sounds like pedestal of air to me.

I can understand why some people don't like it so much, especially in messy demo form but some of the comments I've read since the leaks on different boards are so inane. Like the idea that the song needs a Slash solo at the end because Slash would play all over the place and cover a shitload of octaves where Bucket mostly stays on one level and supposedly never takes off. To me it's the most perfect, mesmerising bunch of playing and the way the song builds slowly from the low-key verse-chorus-verse-chorus-weird bit to a break then Robin's slow solo which slowly builds up to the chant, then a faster solo and the truly awesome 'I would do anything for youuuuu' part and then Bucket comes in and he starts taking it even higher (metaphorically) and IMO the way he builds it up to when Axl comes in again is fucking incredible, it couldn't possibly be any better and I'll be devastated if they've replaced his part or if he recorded another version which was used etc.

It is kinda messy and the file is bad quality and nothing is mixed properly so I just listen to the vocal, lead guitars and orchestration individually and let the rest of the noise sit in the background. Tommy Stinson said when he last heard playback of the tracks that they sounded 'epic' and there'll no doubt be even epiker stuff than TWAT but I personally don't think anyone in the last years has attempted to do this kind of epic rock and done anything as truly masterful as this. I expect the album version to be nothing less than high art.

This is the kind of thing Slash left over because he didn't want to work that hard to make stuff this good, and he apparently said so (see 2002 press release). He likes his basic riff-rock and to go in and knock out album out in three weeks and be on the road the next month and all credit to him for doing it that way. Nothing wrong with a bit of old-skool. But in music, TWAT is like a piece of the Cistene Chapel, and I imagine that when you fit all the bits together you're gonna have one massive perception-altering painting.
littleredcorvette
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #835 on: March 23, 2006, 09:09:52 AM »

And when I first heard it I was really disappointed because it's meant to be one of the big guns and the first 3 minutes seemed really pedestrian with no melody and I stupidly thought it had to be the same as Estranged but better and blow your head of the first time you hear it.

But it didn't take much effort get past that and judge the song in its own right. For me the key is to 'get' the 'There was a time...I would do anything for you...' part. Once that gets its hooks into you it's easier to appreciate the first half of the song as bulding up to that. I don't think the solo is really a matter of taste. It's a matter of, if you can identify with the song,and preferably have some fucked relationship you can project the lyrics on to , then the melodies in the music and specifically Bucket's solo compliment those kinds of angry, bitter sentiments perfectly. With music this complex, you can't expect the music to do all the work to make you like it. This ain't Mr.Brownstone. If you're all super happy and loved up and just want some chunky riff-rock to get your teeth into then you're barking up the wrong tree in the first place. TWAT is a song dealing with a lot of issues surrounding a relationship which depressed the crap out of Axl for a long time. If you can't relate to that then you probably ain't gonna be able to tap into the music.
snow white
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:41 PM »

I couldn't have put it better LRC.

The first few tims I heard the song I though it was pretty messy and nothing special. Then I spent all day walking around singing 'There was a tiiiiiiiiiiime' in my head and had to listen to it again. That part, the 'I would do anything for you' is like the insane 'oh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii' parts in Madagascar. It's that involving and immense, and I can't listen to it on the bus etc because its just too intense for that kind of an evironment. This raw emotion or passion or whatever you want to call it is basically why I love Axl.

Actually, I can't really listen to any of the new stuff at the moment because it just makes me think of all the thounsands of people who are going to get to see, hear, FEEL *that* live in a few weeks, and I shall not be one of those people.
It's extra hard to deal with when I have new Guns N Roses in my ears playing all this intense, wonderful new stuff.
I should just listen to IRS more...

DCGNR2006
« Reply #837 on: March 24, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »

Enough Said............You guys take it from here
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #838 on: March 24, 2006, 02:50:17 PM »

That first Bucket fill after "when I thought I heard it all" is just killer.
Sakib
Legend

Batman is sexy

« Reply #839 on: March 24, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »

TWAT discussion thread already exists. Yeh they were extremely rocking

Excuse me standing on one leg, I'm half-caste. Explain yuself wha u mean when u say half-caste, u mean when picasso, mix red and green is a half caste canvas?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: