Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 07:22:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228106 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  TWAT Discussion - your opinions
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWAT Discussion - your opinions  (Read 153315 times)
TrixAreForKids
Silly Rabbit
Rocker

Tongue like a razor.

« Reply #1120 on: February 27, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »

one of the best gnr songs ever

twat is really ok, but i think from the ballads/epic songs we know so far the weakest track (if weak might ever be the right word for gnr-ballads). especially the chorus, in my opinion, is not too special though.

my rating of the balladesque songs from cd we know so far would be:

1. catcher in the rye (by far)
2. madagascar
3. the blues
4. there was a time

Catcher still needs a lot of work. Guitars defineatly need to be re-worked.

There Was A Time in my opinion is better that CITR and Madagascar.
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #1121 on: February 27, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »

one of the best gnr songs ever

twat is really ok, but i think from the ballads/epic songs we know so far the weakest track (if weak might ever be the right word for gnr-ballads). especially the chorus, in my opinion, is not too special though.

my rating of the balladesque songs from cd we know so far would be:

1. catcher in the rye (by far)
2. madagascar
3. the blues
4. there was a time

Catcher still needs a lot of work. Guitars defineatly need to be re-worked.

There Was A Time in my opinion is better that CITR and Madagascar.

ok, i just listened to twat again... the ending is really one of the best things gnr might have ever done. but the chorus, the chorus, my friend is a bit poor.
whereas madagascar doesn't even have a chorus...
all in all i think twat, blues, madagascar are pretty much on the same level (besides the "there was a time, didn't wanna know it all" lines, which are nothing but outstanding).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:12:41 PM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1122 on: February 27, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »

1. The Blues
2. Better
3. -
4. -
5. T.W.A.T.
6. -
7. -
8. -
9. Madagascar
10. -
11. Chinese Democracy
12. Catcher in the Rye
13. -
14. -

- possibly ;big guns' tracks we have yet to hear Wink

(back on topic) what I like about T.W.A.T. is the feeling that the song is about to end after about 2 minutes into the track, and then it continues ending, and ending, and ending. I like that aspect to the song. The guitar playing towards the end really makes the track what it is. The singing/vocals are average in places.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1123 on: February 27, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »

1. The Blues
2. Better
3. -
4. -
5. T.W.A.T.
6. -
7. -
8. -
9. Madagascar
10. -
11. Chinese Democracy
12. Catcher in the Rye
13. -
14. -

(back on topic) what I like about T.W.A.T. is the feeling that the song is about to end after about 2 minutes into the track, and then it continues ending, and ending, and ending. I like that aspect to the song. The guitar playing towards the end really makes the track what it is. The singing/vocals are average in places.

i didn't count "better", for i 100 % would not consider it a ballad. but if better was counted, i would again have to say what was said about a thousand times before: the title speaks for itself...

bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #1124 on: February 27, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »

1. The Blues
2. Better
3. -
4. -
5. T.W.A.T.
6. -
7. -
8. -
9. Madagascar
10. -
11. Chinese Democracy
12. Catcher in the Rye
13. -
14. -

Completely agree redx.

I've always thought the song sounds like it's going to end after the first couple mins.

I personally think that's what makes it as cool as it is.

I think T.W.A.T. will be one of the best songs on the album. Regardless of whether it gets radio play or not.

Most radio music sux anyway !

/bringbackadler

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
JohnMorrison73
Banned
VIP

CRIME SCENE SLUNK

« Reply #1125 on: February 27, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »

i like it-its real different.

Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #1126 on: February 27, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »

This is the song that I am most eager to hear (although, I am extremely eager to hear them all).  I will be extremely disappointed if they don't keep Buckethead's solo for this song. Don't get me wrong, Robin rocks but Buckethead just shreds that ending ! I think this song has unlimited potential to go epic ! I am curious though if it will have the same underrated status that 'Estranged' had. Regardless, I believe we are all in for a major ass-kicking when we finally get the studio version of this song !   beer

what is wrong with bumblefoot's solo? Did you hear it in the madrid version? That was just perfect... and he played it less than 1 month after he joined the band. This is the cut of bumblefoot's solo.
http://rapidshare.com/files/18596821/Bumblefoot_solo_-_There_was_a_time.mp3.html

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1127 on: February 27, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

i think one major reason for twat being on cd is that axl is emontionally really attached to that song... according to some people that worked with gnr, there are much better songs than twat (more memorable).

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #1128 on: February 27, 2007, 04:19:06 PM »

Even a year later, I'm still torn on TWAT as a complete song. I still don't like the intro and most of the melody ......BUT.....I am in agreement that from the moment it slows down and the guitars start jamming, that it is untouched as far a rock songs go.  I'm very curious to hear the studio version too.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1129 on: February 27, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »

i think one major reason for twat being on cd is that axl is emontionally really attached to that song... according to some people that worked with gnr, there are much better songs than twat (more memorable).
Who said that? When? Can you give me a source for this quote?

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1130 on: February 27, 2007, 06:25:32 PM »

This is the song that I am most eager to hear (although, I am extremely eager to hear them all).? I will be extremely disappointed if they don't keep Buckethead's solo for this song. Don't get me wrong, Robin rocks but Buckethead just shreds that ending ! I think this song has unlimited potential to go epic ! I am curious though if it will have the same underrated status that 'Estranged' had. Regardless, I believe we are all in for a major ass-kicking when we finally get the studio version of this song !? ?beer

what is wrong with bumblefoot's solo? Did you hear it in the madrid version? That was just perfect... and he played it less than 1 month after he joined the band. This is the cut of bumblefoot's solo.
http://rapidshare.com/files/18596821/Bumblefoot_solo_-_There_was_a_time.mp3.html

That solo kick major ass and i'm sure that if BBF have re-recorded that solo, it'll be at least as kick ass as BH's (even though i still think BH is a better skilled guitarist)
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1131 on: February 27, 2007, 06:26:09 PM »

hope i'm not wrong, but either paul buckmaster or marco beltrami said that twat was quite "forgetable" (don't know the exact quote), whereas other songs ("seven", "thyme", "prostitute" etc.) were quite strong...

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1132 on: February 27, 2007, 07:33:19 PM »

hope i'm not wrong, but either paul buckmaster or marco beltrami said that twat was quite "forgetable" (don't know the exact quote), whereas other songs ("seven", "thyme", "prostitute" etc.) were quite strong...

Your entirely right.

Im almost certain it was Paul Buckmaster and not Marco who said TWAT was not "forgetable," but "weak" or something along thoses lines, in comparison to "Seven" or "Prostitute."

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Risico
Rocker

You will lose everything...

« Reply #1133 on: February 27, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »

Your entirely right.

Im almost certain it was Paul Buckmaster and not Marco who said TWAT was not "forgetable," but "weak" or something along thoses lines, in comparison to "Seven" or "Prostitute."

If that is indeed the case... Then wow. I'm trying to keep my expectations grounded, but info like that makes it tough.  Grin

When all is said n' done, we're not the only ones...
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #1134 on: February 28, 2007, 01:46:53 AM »

Opinions on the new material seem to be quite high from those who have either worked on it or heard it.  I don't think any of these folks are doing independent PR work for GNR either (perhaps with the exception of Baz), which simply means these are honest assessments and thus bode well for the quality of the tracks.
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #1135 on: February 28, 2007, 02:16:25 AM »

I honestly think the last half of T.W.A.T. is the best part of a GN'R song in a long, long time (going all the way back to November Rain and even SCOM). The solo is out of this world and the best since SCOM in my opinion. The ending is also incredible, perhaps the best ever on a GN'R track. Now if they could improve the first 2 and a half minutes of the song, I think it'd be an instant classic. Buckethead's solo is already an instant classic in my mind. It's easily the best solo we've heard in mainstream rock probably since Slash was around with GN'R and when Metallica used to have solos (listening to Enter Sandman right now, which also has an incredible solo).
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #1136 on: February 28, 2007, 05:17:07 AM »

I honestly think the last half of T.W.A.T. is the best part of a GN'R song in a long, long time (going all the way back to November Rain and even SCOM). The solo is out of this world and the best since SCOM in my opinion. The ending is also incredible, perhaps the best ever on a GN'R track. Now if they could improve the first 2 and a half minutes of the song, I think it'd be an instant classic. Buckethead's solo is already an instant classic in my mind. It's easily the best solo we've heard in mainstream rock probably since Slash was around with GN'R and when Metallica used to have solos (listening to Enter Sandman right now, which also has an incredible solo).

the verses are also delicate, but i don't understand the uninspired chorus ("it was the wrong time..." etc.).
my worry is, that twat could drop another epic ballad (e.g. catcher in the rye) off the track-list; we already have blues, madagascar and catcher; if there are some more killer ballads (this i love ?) that are on the same level as catcher, it will be hard to find "space" for them on the record... you also have to consider that there should be another ballad for the second single, we don't know already. i don't think twat could be a classic second single. catcher could. blues or madagascar couldn't either, although they are good songs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:20:23 AM by whiny » Logged

jarvie_a
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1137 on: February 28, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »

On the few occasion this song has been peformed live, who plays the lead guitar?
floppyfish27
Banned
Rocker

back on top of the world

« Reply #1138 on: February 28, 2007, 09:57:54 AM »

IMO  from a vid on youtube it was shared by robin and bbf... with bbf covering the last solo...

sorry I cannot get the link while at work, but search in youtube and you will find the live performance of the song
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #1139 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53:57 AM »

As much as i want bumble on the cd, bucket needs to stay on TWAT....no doubt about it. I'm quite happy with bumble re-doing buckets solos on better, IRS etc. But bucket MAKES this song.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: