Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 06:41:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Does Axl still have the right bite?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Axl still have the right bite?  (Read 9502 times)
Bona
Opening Act

« on: March 19, 2007, 08:39:46 AM »

Swedish journalist Johan Lindqvist devoted his entire music-column in the newspaper G?teborgs-Posten to GNR and "Chinese Democracy". Among other things, Johan Lindqvist discusses GNR?s high status as a rockband and the myth that has been built up around "Chinese Democracy". Johan Lindqvist also ponders upon the fact that the release of "Chinese Democracy" might in fact end the GNR-saga.

Here are translated exctracts from the text.

In his column, Johan Lindqvist briefly discusses past GNR shows in Sweden and the band?s never-ending influence on young rockers that weren?t even born when AFD hit the record stores. Johan Lindqvist also mentions the incident where Axl bit a bouncer working for Berns in the leg during his last visit in Sweden, and asks, as well as answers the question WHY a band that hasn?t released anything since 1993 still has such high status.
?I think the answer is actually the opposite. GNR is still interesting because no-one has heard anything from the band in fourteen years. And also, because of the fact that the incident at Berns isn?t an isolated event, it is in fact the other way around. GNR ran down the same road, as did M?tley Cr?e in the biography The Dirt, and since the members have gone their separate ways, Axl has cultivated the myth of being a mysterious hermit. And there?s also the drugs. One of many cock-and-bull stories surrounding the band, is about a party at Axl?s Malibu mansion, where he, strung out on drugs and dressed in a pig-costume, greeted his guests by biting them. Other stories tell the tale of a clean Axl, who?s into different kinds of healing, and nowadays spends his money on incense instead of pot, and likes to spend time at eastern-philosophy centers, rather than in rehabs.?

Johan Lindqvist is also sharing his thougts on what actually will happen if, or when, GNR finally releases "Chinese Democracy".
?The main question at this time though, is what will happen after the album actually hits the stores? The grand myth, that has been built up around "Chinese Democracy", will result in the fact, that no matter how this record will sound, it?s overall sound will be the sound of air hissing out of the balloon. It might just as well be, that Axl and Geffen have realized that fact. As the record is out and exposed to whomever, the magic surrounding GNR will disappear.?

According to Lindqvist, after releasing "Chinese Democracy", GNR won?t be as attractive to the fans anymore. Lindqvist also writes that GNR is running out of time.
?But the air is already hissing out of the balloon... A handful of the new songs are already being played live and can also be found on the Internet. On top of that, is the fact that several studio-recordings have also leaked and ended up on the internet. The latest leak was the song "Better", which ended up on the Internet after having been used in a commercial for Harley Davidson that was later cancelled, a song that Axl has called one of his favourites. Both Axl and his record-company have been swift to point out that the leaked songs are by no means the final products, and that they will sound totally different on the album. It isn?t easy to know what to think these days, but during the last weeks, there has been a 10-song version of? "Chinese Democracy" circulating, a version that might in fact be the real deal. Axl keeps his silence, aside from telling Rolling Stone Magazine that the album might come out later this year?.

Johan Lindqvist sums up his column with one last question.
?Maybe, maybe, ?the last real rock band? will release it?s last album??

The original text was printed in Swedish in G?teborgs-Posten, March 17th. Translated by GNRDaily co-workers.

Sources:
http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=629
http://www.gp.se/
2NaFish
Harbinger of doom and gloom
Legend

Something Witty.

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:44:07 AM »

he's correct in the idea that a certain mystique will be lost upon releasing CD, however he's assuming its going to be a pretty bland, indifferent record that won't captivate people. Maybe it'll be as captivating as AFD, maybe more, maybe less. But to simply say its all down hill from the beigning, before the beginning is to make your mind up without knowing the facts.

But this is from a journalist, and that is their job; presenting guesswork and opinion as fact.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:02:30 AM »

I saw this in the paper on Saturday and found it to be yet another bullshit article.

False info, speculation and rumors.

For example, the writer claims the album has cost $100 million.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:28:03 AM »

even though i disagree with the writer, he has some proof to back up his statements. the album is not out and who knows when it will be out. that lends proof to his statement that after the cd comes out, the "air" will be let out of the band and the band will lose public interest. that could be the reason why the cd is still not out and they continue to tour before the cd comes out...

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
cheeser
Rocker

Guns N' Roses

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:34:24 AM »

I think Axl's bite is alright, a slight overbite, but thats about it, like the normal human being.

no underbite at all.  All in all good dentistry.

All the love in the world couldn't save you...
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »

I saw this in the paper on Saturday and found it to be yet another bullshit article.

False info, speculation and rumors.

For example, the writer claims the album has cost $100 million.....

/jarmo

It seems that some so-called journalists make mountains out of molehills in order to get their articles printed and to get some attention. I can't imagine that it is hard to get right infos before writing an article. If any article ever printed is based on such stupid assuming "facts" then we should stop reading newspapers at all.
jooda
Opening Act

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »

I think I'll have to agree with him.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »

even though i disagree with the writer, he has some proof to back up his statements. the album is not out and who knows when it will be out. that lends proof to his statement that after the cd comes out, the "air" will be let out of the band and the band will lose public interest. that could be the reason why the cd is still not out and they continue to tour before the cd comes out...

That makes no sense.

If that made sense, nobody would release albums. They'd just stop releasing them and tour every now and then.

Tongue

The only air that will be let out of any balloon is the air out of these balloon heads, who will have to find something else to make fun of and pass it off as journalism.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:31:56 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rubinone
Opening Act

Urban Jungle

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »

Even though most of the stuff in the press is bullshit, every one is allowed to have an opinion and GNR is a subject where a lot of people whether they like GNR or not have a lot of opinions.
Tommie
Imma Gunna
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »

One of many cock-and-bull stories surrounding the band, is about a party at Axl?s Malibu mansion, where he, strung out on drugs and dressed in a pig-costume, greeted his guests by biting them.

Am I the only one who is disturbed by this?  Is there any truth to it?  B/c the rest of the article seems like half truths.

When life gave Jack Bauer lemons, he used them to kill terrorists...Jack Bauer hates lemonade.
www.gnrevolution.com
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 10:37:01 AM »

One of many cock-and-bull stories surrounding the band, is about a party at Axl?s Malibu mansion, where he, strung out on drugs and dressed in a pig-costume, greeted his guests by biting them.

Am I the only one who is disturbed by this?? Is there any truth to it?? B/c the rest of the article seems like half truths.

I remember Slash stated a few years ago the only thing Axl was addicted to was cigarettes-the drug thing has no valadation to it

libertad
EstrangedReality
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 11:26:18 AM »

Of course public interest will shift. People are interested in Chinese Democracy - even non-GN'R fans - because of its mythic stature. Once they hear it, yeah, the mystery will have ended.

But the die-hard fans such as ourselves are not going to lose interest... it'll give us so much more to talk about.
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »

That makes no sense.

If that made sense, nobody would release albums. They'd just stop releasing them and tour every now and then.

Tongue

The only air that will be let out of any balloon is the air out of these balloon heads, who will have to find something else to make fun of and pass it of as journalism.

/jarmo

not at all. bands need to put out new albums in order to tour. most bands havent released an incredible album such as appetite....they need new stuff to release so they can continue to tour. guns released one of the greatest albums of all time and people want to hear it live and they can continue to tour by playing those songs without releasing new material. the proof is in the facts. they have toured since 2001 without a new album.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:35:33 AM by ibelieveinaxl » Logged

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 11:34:58 AM »

I don't get gp where i live and i wanna read it in swedish too, but can't find it anywhere Huh

anyway, at least the guy is writing about it and giving some info to the public, all publicity is good publicity Wink
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »

I think this guy has a good point.
There are so many expectations and so much hype around this album, there is no way it will live up to everyone's expectations.

And lets stop with the ritual media bashing of anyone who doesn?t say ?Axl is the greatest and everything he does will be successful and wonderful.? The guy has made some great music, but that doesn?t make him above being critiqued or criticized. If he didn?t want to be criticized for not making March 6, tentative or not, he shouldn?t have thrown it out there. If he didn?t want the press to write about the never ending production of CD, he should have released it. The guy is a millionare, and if he has to take a little critcism here and there, so what? There are people on this forum who will come to Axl?s defense no matter what. If someone said ?I don?t like Axl?s red hair,? someone else would hop on and tell them they are pricks for it.

Don?t get me wrong. I?m looking forward to CD more than anything. I love Axl and his music, and yeah, he does get a bum rap from the press from time to time. But this constant B-rating of anyone who doesn?t totally kiss his ass is getting kind of old. Axl's a great guy, I'm sure, but he's not perfect. No one is.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »

Does Axl still have the right bite?

..best ask that Swedish security guard who Axl attacked  hihi
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 01:00:23 PM »

That makes no sense.

Tongue

The only air that will be let out of any balloon is the air out of these balloon heads, who will have to find something else to make fun of and pass it of as journalism.

/jarmo

It will be interesting, however, to see how many interested people around here will still be interested after the release of Chinese Democracy.  Granted the album will hook new fans, but for people like myself, I wonder if we'll stick around long after the initial hoopla of the album's release.  Not to suggest that anyone here has as much or more invested in this album as anyone in the band, but it has been a long wait for some of us.  I will always be a GNR junkie, but upon the release of the album, will it allow me to move on so to speak from the near obsession of this band?  My hopes is that GNR finally does put out an album, it kicks ass, they tour to promote it, and eventually I'll be able to go three hours without checking this website and forum for any scrap of news concerning the band. 

Like I said, GNR will always be  my favourite band, but once this album is out and put through its paces, my need for constant updates will be lifted.  It's been a pretty crazy ride, from the age of 10 years old to now being 27.  I'm looking forward to seeing where this ride finally ends, and who knows, if Chinese Democracy proves itself in my eyes, I'll gladly hop on board for another ride. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »

Listen here everyone: ?We must understand that alot of people think this album is going to be shit because there is no Slash. ?So, given that the ?expectations of many will be diminished, I feel that the quality of this record will actually surprise alot of people. ?I think us hardcore and knowlegable GNR fans really understand that Axl was the director and the MAIN ingredient in this band. ?If Axl wasn't there for Slash, working with him every step of the way, then the music would never have sounded as good as it does. ?Axl is a composer and a genius whom currently has access to great mediums through which his greatest artistic vision will be realized. ?I really believe this. ?
mofo91105
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 01:21:58 PM »

I take a lot of concern with this boards love of the hype of the impending release of Chinese Democracy, and the mythical status that this album has achieved.

First of all, the album will never live up to the hype. It could be as good as Appetite, but there has been such an unrealistic amount of hype and expectation that has been placed on this one album and the band that no matter what they put out, it still won't be enough. I myself believe this could be some of Axl's best work to date, and am super excited to see it seeing as I have seen the band 3 times since 2002, but critics will never give it its due because of the mythical status that has been built upon it, also combined with the never ending issues that have plagued the band (shitty management, replacing members, and ultimately Axl's decision to keep the name Guns N Roses). People will compare this album to the old Guns N Roses albums, which is completely unfair due to the styles of music, but Axl decided to keep the name, so he will ultimately live with the consequences.

Secondly, I think people need to stop the "this album is 13 years in the making" stance that everyone on this board takes, because realistically, this album has not been worked on for 13 years straight, nor has it come close. I have read many documents saying that at times, the studio would lay dormant for months on end, because no one knew where Axl was, or whatever. I think this will hurt the band as well because people who don't know the story will be expecting that Axl has been putting his blood sweat and tears into this album for 13 years, and his genius has finally come to fruition when it gets released. I just think that the longer people talk like the album has been worked on for 13 years straight through, the more bloated the actual image of Guns N Roses will become. People take time off after tours and albums and I just don't agree with everyone saying this album is 13 years in the making when every song has practically been redone multiple times.

These are just my views, but all my points and views on the day to day occurrences of this board can best be summarized by this. LISTEN TO THE BAND AND SUPPORT THE BAND BECAUSE YOU LOVE THE MUSIC, BECAUSE IN THE END, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. IF YOU LOVE TALKING ABOUT THE BAND BECAUSE OF THE MYTHICAL STORIES OF 13 YEAR ALBUMS AND CONSPIRACY THEORIES ABOUT LEAKED SONGS AND MANAGEMENT DECISIONS, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T GET WHAT GUNS N ROSES IS ABOUT. WHILE IT MAY BE A PART OF THE LURE OF GNR, THE STORIES SHOULD ALWAYS PLAY SECOND FIDDLE TO THE MUSIC.
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »

That makes no sense.

Tongue

/jarmo

It will be interesting, however, to see how many interested people around here will still be interested after the release of Chinese Democracy.  Granted the album will hook new fans, but for people like myself, I wonder if we'll stick around long after the initial hoopla of the album's release.  Not to suggest that anyone here has as much or more invested in this album as anyone in the band, but it has been a long wait for some of us.  I will always be a GNR junkie, but upon the release of the album, will it allow me to move on so to speak from the near obsession of this band?  My hopes is that GNR finally does put out an album, it kicks ass, they tour to promote it, and eventually I'll be able to go three hours without checking this website and forum for any scrap of news concerning the band. 

Like I said, GNR will always be  my favourite band, but once this album is out and put through its paces, my need for constant updates will be lifted.  It's been a pretty crazy ride, from the age of 10 years old to now being 27.  I'm looking forward to seeing where this ride finally ends, and who knows, if Chinese Democracy proves itself in my eyes, I'll gladly hop on board for another ride. 

Cheers,

Andrew

I really want the album, but as a live band, I have no interest in seeing them again  peace
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: