Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:26:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228565 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 255714 times)
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1900 on: December 17, 2006, 08:50:31 PM »

The vocals for both songs were recorded in 1999, so Axl was using the same equipment.

How do you know?

The 1999 "Better" demo has the same vocals as the updated demo in the YouTube video posted above.

Maybe I'm wrong but wheres this '99 demo of Better, I've never even heard of it.

My mistake - the "Better" demo in the YouTube video is the only version available, but it's shit quality because the leaker only gave us a 128 kbs rip of the track.

Yeah the only songs from '99 are Catcher, and the other versions of TWAT and I.R.S.
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1901 on: December 17, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »

The vocals for both songs were recorded in 1999, so Axl was using the same equipment.
Robin wasnt even in the band when they recorded Oh My God.

http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=120

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

Yeah Robin wasnt involved in the final recording, thats what I said.

"not involved in the writing of the final recording" does not = "not involved in the final recording"
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1902 on: December 17, 2006, 08:51:41 PM »

http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=120

Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White.

Yeah Robin wasnt involved in the final recording, thats what I said.

"not involved in the writing of the final recording" does not = "not involved in the final recording"

Whatever, thats what I meant.
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1903 on: December 17, 2006, 08:52:12 PM »

Better was written after 2002.
He was on tour with Nine Inch Nails, so obviously Better is not from that time period since Robin wrote it.

Yep Better is not from 1999, the rough demos of IRS and TWAT are from 99! There is a full CD of other demos floating around somewhere but management got to the guy that had it at the time and offered him something to stop him leaking it. Better is a much later recording possibly from around 2002 but no one knows for sure, but judging by the Harley Ad it was pretty recent as the song is pretty much the same par the new Pitmann effect and Robins new guitar part at the end!

Jonx

I would love to get my hands on those demos, IRS and TWAT sound so cool in those versions.
Tommie
Imma Gunna
Rocker

« Reply #1904 on: December 17, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »

You are mixing the cards, just because they have some similar effects dont make the two songs compareable at all.
I like them both !

I wasnt comparing the songs as a whole, I was just stating that some of the effects used in the song REMINDED me of Oh My God

--Tommie

When life gave Jack Bauer lemons, he used them to kill terrorists...Jack Bauer hates lemonade.
www.gnrevolution.com
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #1905 on: December 17, 2006, 08:55:45 PM »

He was on tour with Nine Inch Nails, so obviously Better is not from that time period since Robin wrote it.

Yep Better is not from 1999, the rough demos of IRS and TWAT are from 99! There is a full CD of other demos floating around somewhere but management got to the guy that had it at the time and offered him something to stop him leaking it. Better is a much later recording possibly from around 2002 but no one knows for sure, but judging by the Harley Ad it was pretty recent as the song is pretty much the same par the new Pitmann effect and Robins new guitar part at the end!

Jonx

I would love to get my hands on those demos, IRS and TWAT sound so cool in those versions.

Who knows? Maybe he'll have a change of heart someday.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1906 on: December 17, 2006, 08:56:04 PM »

That was my understanding as well...Better came about once Robin rejoined the band...
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #1907 on: December 17, 2006, 08:57:30 PM »

I was just listening to the leaked leaked copy of "Better" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezLO4sHuhcA? (thank Demon Wolf for the video) and there is alot of "Oh My God" moments during the song.? I noticed the voice synth effects and some of the guitar effects remind me alot of what was used for "oh my god".? I kinda find it funny because alot of people hated that song, and now some of the effects are used in "better"? And almost everyone I know on here loves it.?

--Tommie
p.s.? "Better" is hands down my fav.

I'm one of "those" people that wasn't crazy about Oh My God. ?I love Better though. ?The difference??? ?Better has a god damn beat to it! ?It flows! ?OMG has some nice lyrics, I'll give ya that, but it's choppy in my book. ?OMG is disjointed. ?Better however, even though it mixes up the sounds, it does it in a skillful way, one that I think sounds beautiful. ?It's already a GNR classic in my book. ? beer ?To see this performed live? ?drool ?Incredible, just amazing. ?yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1908 on: December 17, 2006, 08:57:50 PM »

Jonx

Who knows? Maybe he'll have a change of heart someday.

I hope. In some ways when i thought those were going to leak, i was more excited to hear those than the finished 'Chinese Democracy'. I was, and still am, a little afraid that the finished CD would be a little too polished and produced. Those demos sounded kinda rought, edgy and awesome.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #1909 on: December 17, 2006, 09:01:52 PM »

did I also mention I don't think OMG takes advantage of Axl's amazing vocal abilities?  Now I did.   ok

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
EstrangedReality
« Reply #1910 on: December 17, 2006, 11:38:11 PM »

1. Axl said Robin performed on "Oh My God." So you're wrong. Unless you want to call Axl Rose, the man who performed vocals for the song, a liar.
2. Better most likely dates back to around 1999, but either way it's all speculation since we don't know. So don't act like we do.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1911 on: December 17, 2006, 11:57:11 PM »

Better doesn't have the same vocal effects as OMG. The "guitar effects" are just regular wha, used since late '60s and the drop D tune to make it sound heavier. Really, I don't see that much things in common...

Better is a much later recording possibly from around 2002 but no one knows for sure, but judging by the Harley Ad it was pretty recent as the song is pretty much the same par the new Pitmann effect and Robins new guitar part at the end!
What new Pitmann effect?
And Robin's guitar part at the end was always there. Listen close to the demo or just search for the instrumental version out there and you'll notice the same guitar work.

badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #1912 on: December 18, 2006, 12:53:41 AM »

1. Axl said Robin performed on "Oh My God." So you're wrong. Unless you want to call Axl Rose, the man who performed vocals for the song, a liar.
2. Better most likely dates back to around 1999, but either way it's all speculation since we don't know. So don't act like we do.

The version of 'Better' that leaked is most likely NOT from 1999. Buckethead is obviously on it and he didn't join the band until after '99.

I would guess that Catcher In the Rye, and the version of TWAT and IRS without Buckethead are from 99 and that TWAT, IRS (with Buckethead) and Better are from 2001 or 2002.
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1913 on: December 18, 2006, 01:14:40 AM »

I was just listening to the leaked leaked copy of "Better" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezLO4sHuhcA? (thank Demon Wolf for the video) and there is alot of "Oh My God" moments during the song.? I noticed the voice synth effects and some of the guitar effects remind me alot of what was used for "oh my god".? I kinda find it funny because alot of people hated that song, and now some of the effects are used in "better"? And almost everyone I know on here loves it.?

--Tommie
p.s.? "Better" is hands down my fav.

No probs, I'm glad you like it. As for Oh My God, the lyrics are good but the song itself could've been so much better.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
EstrangedReality
« Reply #1914 on: December 18, 2006, 01:51:03 AM »

The version of 'Better' that leaked is most likely NOT from 1999. Buckethead is obviously on it and he didn't join the band until after '99.

I would guess that Catcher In the Rye, and the version of TWAT and IRS without Buckethead are from 99 and that TWAT, IRS (with Buckethead) and Better are from 2001 or 2002.

I never said the demo is from 1999. I think the demo is from some time period between 2002 and 2004.

I said the song itself dates back further - the second TWAT leak minus the Buckethead solo sounds like it's from the same sessions as CITR, which based on interviews given by Axl was almost definitely recorded in 1999 with Brian May (I believe May said that's when he worked on it, too, on his website).

There are thousands of demos out there that have been stashed away over the past ten years - I wouldn't be surprised if Better was originally written earlier than 2002 - 2004.

But, as I said before, no one knows until Axl/the band says something about it.
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #1915 on: December 18, 2006, 02:08:14 PM »

'Better' is a catchy pop-rock song but it lacks something that would make it a classic. Too much shred in it too methinks.

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1916 on: December 18, 2006, 04:38:45 PM »

In my opinion, Better is the best song they've ever done. It has got everything.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #1917 on: December 22, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »

I think this song has the potential to become one of the greatest songs ever...I love it so much, Axl has some amazing lyrics in this song..The only thing im not stuck on is the chorus

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
yourfinalanswer
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1918 on: December 22, 2006, 08:48:16 PM »

Better sounds alot different in concert than the old demo we all have - much different guitar - a lot "deeper" instrument-wise.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1919 on: December 22, 2006, 08:53:55 PM »

For the record, Robin doesn't think he performed on Oh My God.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: