Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228565 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 255469 times)
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1780 on: October 21, 2006, 08:03:04 AM »

Oh I gotcha. I mentioned the unmentionable thing that everyone knows about. My apologies. Wont do it again.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
melissa
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1781 on: October 21, 2006, 08:09:52 AM »

Of course "BETTER" will be the first single, no doubt about it.

Better is my favorite new song and it will be even if it is or it isn't a single.
i love every second of it , including "that stuff in the midle".
if played by any band, i'd still love this song.
but , of course, not any band can write a song like this ok
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #1782 on: October 21, 2006, 08:37:54 AM »

I think we all got this mixed up. It makes sense now. "Better" is the first  "JINGLE", not "SINGLE".  hihi

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1783 on: October 21, 2006, 09:02:16 AM »

Of course "BETTER" will be the first single, no doubt about it. Anyone who knows anything about marketing will agree.? peace

That's a reach Huh

Tell me Mr. "Marketing" expert. What makes 'Better' more marketable than I.R.S.?

Everything although I like I.R.S. also very much I don't think it will be a 2nd or even 3rd single. More chance for madagascar or the blues as a 2nd single.

Eternal Flaming Sword of Death...
Rocker

What happened?

« Reply #1784 on: October 21, 2006, 09:19:14 AM »

why can't we discuss certain things?

they follow all the rules, now management wants control over what we talk about....

everybody pretend that "certain things" didn't happen last week....this is kind of getting old

Behold, the evil that men do...
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #1785 on: October 21, 2006, 09:26:28 AM »

Next one who mentions the version that appears in the "leaked" commercial, will get banned.  ok

/jarmo

sorry jarmo but this is just ridiculous. you're becoming management's tool more and more everyday.

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1786 on: October 21, 2006, 09:31:22 AM »

sorry jarmo but this is just ridiculous. you're becoming management's tool more and more everyday.

Whatever.

I don't feel like deleting a bunch of posts talking about a clip we're not supposed to have heard yet.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #1787 on: October 21, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »

Next one who mentions the version that appears in the "leaked" commercial, will get banned.  ok

/jarmo

I don't think that is the case, ease up. Jarmo is just doing a small favour, nothing more. I'm sure he got good reasons for it. So be it. And please do not forget that CD will be out before Christmas. By then we can discuss it all.

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
diablo280273
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1788 on: October 21, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »

I think the song just isn't good enough for a first single, don't get me wrong i like it, i like it a lot, but again it just isn't good enough for putting this band back on the map. Undecided

They gonna need a killer rocker, an instant classic with a chorus that you can't get out of your head once you've heard it, and this song just aint gonna do that, mark my words.

Sure it will get attention, even outside the hardcore fanbase but all based on curiousity and the GnR name. But after that its gonna fade away very quickly, cause by no means its up there with the old classic big guns of the band.

I like the new band a lot but......the first single must resemble the chemistry between the bandmembers. Sure they can play, probably eat the old band for dust technically, but from what i've heard so far i doubt if there is that much needed sparkle between them to write those killer songs.
Rocker

What happened?

« Reply #1789 on: October 21, 2006, 09:35:51 AM »

i understand, Jarmo, but the thing is we HAVE heard it....i understand your respect, but it seems kind of stupid to ask people not to talk about something, as if it never happened

this is the best GNR board, it just feels like fascism, when we are told the things that we can talk about(within the rules)

Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #1790 on: October 21, 2006, 09:37:25 AM »

i understand, Jarmo, but the thing is we HAVE heard it....i understand your respect, but it seems kind of stupid to ask people not to talk about it...

this is the best GNR board, it just feels like fascism, when we are told the things that we can talk about(within the rules)

fascism? Do you really know the meaning of the word? You wouldn't toss it around like that if you did.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #1791 on: October 21, 2006, 09:42:53 AM »

The reason why Nesquick doesnt like Better is because it has Buckethead written all over it.

And I agree with the others, it has nothing generic about it

It has nothing to do with Buckethead, even if his mechanical and heartless shred doesn't help for sure. I take that song as a whole. I've always said, since day one, that the transitions are unproper and that there is a lot of incoherence in the flow of that song. In fact, there is no flow. The song is in different pieces, like different parts mixed together, like a song in pieces, it doesn't sound as a whole united and coherent song to me.? You can easily love a part and hate another one a few seconds later. Overall,  it gives you mixed feelings.
Now compare with The Blues or Madagascar, they are coherent songs, they are built in a fantastic way, it just grows and grows until the big final. Beautifull songwriting.
But "Better" is too much like "Stop and Go", "Stop and Go". No disrespect to Robin, but I can see some NIN there, LOL . I just hope the Studio version will be beter... and with better and proper transitions.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:06:25 AM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Rocker

What happened?

« Reply #1792 on: October 21, 2006, 09:57:22 AM »

i understand, Jarmo, but the thing is we HAVE heard it....i understand your respect, but it seems kind of stupid to ask people not to talk about it...

fascism? Do you really know the meaning of the word? You wouldn't toss it around like that if you did.

What I meant was authoritarianism, which sometimes fascism can be defined as.

What I meant was authoritarianism, which sometimes fascism can be defined as. Maybe thats a little extreme, I just think it's extreme for management to ask the fans not to discuss certain things that happened, and act as if they didn't happen, just because they weren't supposeed to happen.

no offence to Jarmo.....I think management has some strange ideas sometimes....

TheDave0206
Headliner

« Reply #1793 on: October 21, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »

Where do we go to discuss the Harley Davidson commercial now featuring Paradise City?  Take another look...

Fun how everything was roses
When we held on to the guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky ones
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #1794 on: October 21, 2006, 10:01:27 AM »

What I meant was authoritarianism, which sometimes fascism can be defined as. Maybe thats a little extreme, I just think it's extreme for management to ask the fans not to discuss certain things that happened, and act as if they didn't happen, just because they weren't supposeed to happen.

I don't think it's that strange, jarmo's just doing a small favor for management. the thing wasn't supposed to be 'out'  yet. That's the end of it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:03:20 AM by Dont Try Me » Logged

Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1795 on: October 21, 2006, 10:03:35 AM »

Where do we go to discuss the Harley Davidson commercial now featuring Paradise City?? Take another look...

To be honest thats the one I prefer by a long way.....

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #1796 on: October 21, 2006, 10:09:02 AM »

The reason why Nesquick doesnt like Better is because it has Buckethead written all over it.

And I agree with the others, it has nothing generic about it

It has nothing to do with Buckethead, even if his mechanical and heartless shred doesn't help for sure. I take that song as a whole. I've always said, since day one, that the transitions are unproper and that there is a lot of incoherence in the flow of that song. In fact, there is no flow. The song is in different pieces, like different parts mixed together, like a song in pieces, it doesn't sound as a whole united and coherent song to me.  You can easily love a part and hate another one a few seconds later. Overall,  it gives you mixed feelings.
Now compare with The Blues or Madagascar, they are coherent songs, they are built in a fantastic way, it just grows and grows until the big final. Beautifull songwriting.
But "Better" is too much like "Stop and Go", "Stop and Go". No disrespect to Robin, but I can see some NIN there, LOL . I just hope the Studio version will be beter... and with better and proper transitions.

sigh, cut the crap man...for fucks sake...continue with your pointless crusade....  hihi

Morley
Opening Act

There's stories to be told...

« Reply #1797 on: October 21, 2006, 10:12:54 AM »

I think the song just isn't good enough for a first single, don't get me wrong i like it, i like it a lot, but again it just isn't good enough for putting this band back on the map. Undecided

They gonna need a killer rocker, an instant classic with a chorus that you can't get out of your head once you've heard it, and this song just aint gonna do that, mark my words.

I think that you need to hear the song one more time, and do it with more attention.

"Better" is everything that GNR needs to be on the map, is everything that you said above.

I don't think it's that strange, jarmo's just doing a small favor for management. the thing wasn't supposed to be 'out'  yet. That's the end of it.

"Supposed..."  this is the word.

Hum... why we don't discuss that?

Do you really believe that? Believe that H/D would have a mistake like that??

'Morley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 10:22:38 AM by Morley » Logged

Here Today... I'm afraid... nervous
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1798 on: October 21, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »

Better is a great song.  I heard someone describe it as a grown up SCOM.  But with expectations so high, will any song satisfy everyone?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
evergreen_layne
Rocker

People have waited a long time for this

« Reply #1799 on: October 21, 2006, 10:31:11 AM »

Whatever.

I don't feel like deleting a bunch of posts talking about a clip we're not supposed to have heard yet.

/jarmo

Yeah well I can kind of understand management getting worked up over the "better" commercial if there was some miscommunication and it wasn't supposed to be out yet.  But the Rollingstone article threads getting deleted is what really got to me.  This is the place we've been coming to for years when there was no news and now that there is real news we can't even talk about it.  Makes no sense.  What because it had one new song title in it?  Makes absolutely no sense.  Believe me I have no sympathy for Merck.  Can't even schedule a tour right.  Why should we respect his wishes to not read an article that he was interviewed for?

11.08.02 - Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA
12.10.06 - Everett Events Center, Everett, WA
12.11.06 - Rose Garden Arena, Portland, OR
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: