Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:53:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228564 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 255127 times)
Evolution
« Reply #1580 on: April 23, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »

What is axl saying in the background at 4:00 thru 4:18?

I think he is repeating " I know better"

He is saying it like this

IIIII knoooowww Bet-tah

I thought it was "allll iiiii waaantteeed"
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #1581 on: April 23, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »

I only heard the full version of this song once. i have the version thats only half of the song... does anyone know where i can get the full version? i tried limewire but i can never get it.
BabyGorilla
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1582 on: April 23, 2006, 04:01:12 PM »

Just go to youtube.com and search Chinese Democracy.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1583 on: April 23, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

I thought it was "allll iiiii waaantteeed"

That's what I thought too   ok
Steel_Angel
« Reply #1584 on: April 23, 2006, 04:14:43 PM »

errmm it sounds like "allll i wannnaaa" seriously.
GNR estranged
Rocker

« Reply #1585 on: April 23, 2006, 10:17:29 PM »

Just go to youtube.com and search Chinese Democracy.

cool thanks
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1586 on: April 24, 2006, 02:06:55 AM »

This song is insane. It starts off as a pure pop-hip-hop intro with a voice reminiscent of Brittany Spears. That is not a bad thing. It goes amazingly well with the intro. I really like that intro.

It kicks in with a very simple sounding rhythm guitar riff. However, the pattern of the rhythm is very difficult and odd. That's the beauty of this piece. It's so simple, yet the rhythm is the hardest part of the song to catch. A

fter the 2nd chorus, Buckethead owns his guitar with a solo that makes you think "New Age on top of Pantera/Slayer rhythm." At the end of his solo, Buckethead uses his killswitch. That part makes me want to fucking knock somebody out. It's so intense.

After the solo, the head-banging metal part kicks in. It sends an adrenaline riff through you if you're playing drums or guitar along with it, or even when you're just groovin' to the music.

Then the voice kicks in...Axl...screaming with anger...he's pissed definitely because of some heartless bitch.

And finally, Robin's industrial past owns a part of the song. With a 7/8 signature, it really is a reminder of "Oh My God". The two riffs are very similar.

The only off-set of the entire 5 minute long epic song is the computer techno part. I am hoping that they will add a drum fill in place of it.

After that, Buckethead strikes once again with a classical technique of his, slap guitar with a wah-wah pedal set all the way back. (Yes, it's definitely his famous slap-'n'-pop technique.)

Robin's solo is the most emotional part of the song. It makes you really get a feel for what Axl went through. It makes you think about the song. Its meaning, its focus, its point.

The song finally dies down with the same riff from the intro.

All in all, we can definitely tell there are several influences. Industiral, New Age, Hip-hop (if not Rap), Techno, and Metal.

And we can also tell that Buckethead wrote more than half the parts of this song, due to the new age feel and the odd rhythm pattern (in mentioning the pattern of the rhythm, I do not mean the order of the verses and the arrangement or anything, but the pattern of the picking. It's 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3, 1, 1-2-3, and many songs follow ordinary patterns such as 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, so on and so forth).

Nice breakdown although I don't agree with the Britney Spears part  ok

I also really like the electonica breakdown, I think it's a perfect setup for Buckethead's doodling and R2D2 effects that accompany the following chorus  smoking
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1587 on: April 27, 2006, 10:07:36 AM »

THIS SONG KIX FUCKIN' ARSE N' WILL RIP THE FUCKIN' CHARTS TA HELL!!!

Guns n' Roses - Better - a fuckin' masterpeice drool drool drool drool drool beer beer smoking

only heard the short version 'till this arvo when someone posted it!!  n' got canned obviously!!

THANX DUDE!!!   ok peace love crying smoking beer drool drool drool

very moden, it just kix man, GNR will rule once again, i cant wait!! beer

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1588 on: April 27, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »

I sincerely apologize if someone else has mentioned this (I couldn't make it through all 80 pages), but I think the introduction with "hip hop" beats, the falsetto, and the distorted guitar sound a bit like Radiohead, which Axl specifically mentioned in his 1999 interview with Kurt Loder as a band that used cool hip hop beats in rock (like Airbag, The Bends, etc . . . .).  And Axl was a big fan and went to their shows in 1995 and 1997 in LA.   Whatever the influence, it's a great song.
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1589 on: April 27, 2006, 12:12:24 PM »

I just finally heard the full version . . .  hmmmm, can't say I love what happens after the 2:06 mark.  I dunno: it just seems to become fragmented and unfocused.  I love, love both Buckethead and Robin's solo work but Axl's singing and the tone seem off from the first two minutes, which were really tight and had the makings of a great opening single (and probably a really big hit).  Don't get me wrong - it's still an excellent song and I'm sure it will grow on me, but I think (at this point) that this is an example of a song where "less is more."  I wouldn't be surprised to see a radio edit that takes out the tempo changes, screaming bit and riffing in the middle, and adds a drum beat to the final "no one ever told me" pre-chorus.  That version would be a massive hit.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1590 on: April 27, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »

I just finally heard the full version . . .? hmmmm, can't say I love what happens after the 2:06 mark.? I dunno: it just seems to become fragmented and unfocused.? I love, love both Buckethead and Robin's solo work but Axl's singing and the tone seem off from the first two minutes, which were really tight and had the makings of a great opening single (and probably a really big hit).? Don't get me wrong - it's still an excellent song and I'm sure it will grow on me, but I think (at this point) that this is an example of a song where "less is more."? I wouldn't be surprised to see a radio edit that takes out the tempo changes, screaming bit and riffing in the middle, and adds a drum beat to the final "no one ever told me" pre-chorus.? That version would be a massive hit.
There is a fan edit that takes out the middle part.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
madagas
« Reply #1591 on: April 27, 2006, 12:29:28 PM »

That part in the middle, right after Bucket's solo is waaaaayyyyy to Limp Bizkit for me. Axl's screaming behind the cheesy generic guitar mosh is terrible. I would edit it right after Bucket's solo then go to the squishy squishy keyboard thing then in to the remainder of the song. Just basically take out Axl's screaming part and the guitar parts beneath it. ok Dave, I would love to here that fan edit. hihi
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:32:18 PM by madagas » Logged
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1592 on: April 27, 2006, 12:32:36 PM »

There is a fan edit that takes out the middle part.

I would guess that if Geffen A&R has any say (and they probably DON'T) we will see a version like that released to the radio, if this indeed is the first single.  Cut those sections out and reduce it to about 3:45 and you probably have a radio-friendly smash, not that that is the only thing that is important in life (but it would sure help sell a lot of initial copies of CD).
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #1593 on: April 27, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »

That part in the middle, right after Bucket's solo is waaaaayyyyy to Limp Bizkit for me. Axl's screaming behind the cheesy generic guitar mosh is terrible. I would edit it right after Bucket's solo then go to the squishy squishy keyboard thing then in to the remainder of the song. Just basically take out Axl's screaming part and the guitar parts beneath it. ok Dave, I would love to here that fan edit. hihi

IT's one of my favorite parts of the song.

It just plain kicks your ass out of nowhere.

The first time I heard it my exact words were: What the fuck!!??

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
madagas
« Reply #1594 on: April 27, 2006, 01:30:30 PM »

To each his own.....we'll finish this at the pre party on the 15th! beer peace
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1595 on: April 27, 2006, 01:35:21 PM »

To each his own.....we'll finish this at the pre party on the 15th! beer peace

DUELING BETTER's!!!

Smiley

For the record, my wife firmly agrees with you.  She likes the song without that 55 seconds, or so, of "heaviness".

Together again,
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #1596 on: April 27, 2006, 01:36:15 PM »

Take OUT the heavy part?!  Shocked

Thats insanity.  nervous

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #1597 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37:08 PM »

Take OUT the heavy part?!? Shocked

Thats insanity.? nervous

I believe the word I used, when my wife suggested the same thing, was:

BLASPHEMY!!

I then proceeded to call her "Outcast UNCLEAN!".  Not being a Thomas Covenant fan, she didn't get the joke....and I didn't get...well....lets just say I learned not to make obscure literary jokes she's not likely to get. Smiley

Together again,
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #1598 on: April 27, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »

Take OUT the heavy part?!  Shocked

Thats insanity.  nervous

I believe the word I used, when my wife suggested the same thing, was:

BLASPHEMY!!

Just so you know .. in the future you could use this as grounds for divorce.  Wink

peace

madagas
« Reply #1599 on: April 27, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

For the record, I love Bucket's solo, it is the next part after that.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: