Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 10:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228563 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 255072 times)
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #1560 on: April 17, 2006, 06:56:44 AM »

Best part of the song at the moment for me...

Each to their own I guess.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
kaddisonmoore
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1561 on: April 17, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »

Best part of the song at the moment for me...

Each to their own I guess.
thats my favorite part too. changes it from a pop song to a rocker with major pop infulence lol

the hardest part this troubled heart has ever yet been through now...
http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=icecream&act=idx
Greatest Fucking Forum Ever Made By Myself and a friend
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #1562 on: April 17, 2006, 02:23:39 PM »

Well, i see it as the worst part of the song, the screaming is so lame sounding, he should really re-think that part. ok

-------and time goes by-------
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1563 on: April 17, 2006, 04:10:26 PM »

No way, the middle part of this song is so awesome....I get goosebumps imagining Axl screaming that part at Hammerstein with all of us screaming the words right back.

I wonder if Axl and company know that its gonna  be mostly forum people if they open with better.....then again, Jungle is just the classic opener, I don't think GNR should ever open with another song...EVER! haha

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
FortusGNR21
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1564 on: April 17, 2006, 05:52:59 PM »

The "metal" part in the middle of the song rocks dude! His voice sounds so powerful, to me It's a throwback to Old Axl, sounds as good here as he has for a long time IMO!  ok

I get up around 7, get outta bed around 9, and I don't worry bout nothin no because worryin's a waste of my fuckin time!
MJRoses23
Rocker

JORDAN FOR THE WIN!!!

« Reply #1565 on: April 17, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »

Yea the crazy screaming part is the best...i get chills everytime i hear it.  The part it could do witout is the funny computer breakdown thing.  It doesnt fit.  Other than that the rest of the song is amazing

"Its not how hard you push along the way...its having something left to finish"

-Michael Jordan
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #1566 on: April 17, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »

I have a couple close buddies who are excellent musicians and know their shit. ?I made them a cd of the demos and live boots. ?One likes GNR but isn't up to date on them and the guitarist isn't really into them, but I got a call the very next day after they heard the demo cd. ?They were both blown away by Better. ?The guitarist said he just stopped what he was doing and was like, "what is he (bucket) doing! ?that's incredible, i would have never gone there (scale wise)".

My other buddy was impressed because "it seemed like all their new songs have a chord progression that's going down" and he could hear GNR evolving from their old catalog where it seemed like everything went up. ?He also said he could see why it's taking a long time and he's excited to hear CD. ?

After 2 months of this song I'm still not sick of it. ?The intro gets a little old after a while but the robotic verse, solo, and outro solo into the final verse impress me each time. ?

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1567 on: April 19, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »

The metal portion is really great.  It caught me off guard at first, but now I love it.  Buckethead's solo in the middle is great, it just comes out of nowhere and the effect he does at the end of it is nuts.  This song really shows why Buckethead is indeed the man, his fills and bridges are great.  I also love the outro, great solo from Finck, and the "no, no, no, no" background vocals by Axl are infectious
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1568 on: April 22, 2006, 09:06:12 AM »

After hearing the leaks, a friend of mine and I were talking about how damn good it is just to hear Axl's voice again.  In regards to Better, he said "I hated how [the band] faded out after UYI with the lawsuits and lineup changes, all the rumors and all the waiting, and with SFTD being the last thing they put out...but this songs makes it all worth it.  If this was to be the last song that Axl put out, then I could deal with that.  It would be great way to close the GnR catalogue."

Not that I would ever hope that it would be that last we'd hear from Axl, but I agree - it's simply that good of a song.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #1569 on: April 22, 2006, 11:56:13 AM »

Definitely agree with that.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1570 on: April 22, 2006, 02:49:58 PM »

After hearing the leaks, a friend of mine and I were talking about how damn good it is just to hear Axl's voice again.  In regards to Better, he said "I hated how [the band] faded out after UYI with the lawsuits and lineup changes, all the rumors and all the waiting, and with SFTD being the last thing they put out...but this songs makes it all worth it.  If this was to be the last song that Axl put out, then I could deal with that.  It would be great way to close the GnR catalogue."

Not that I would ever hope that it would be that last we'd hear from Axl, but I agree - it's simply that good of a song.

I feel the same way I think. Even if we never got to hear anything else (which we will) I feel that the demo of Better proves that Axl knows what he's doing and all of the doubters are wrong

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Evolution
« Reply #1571 on: April 22, 2006, 03:57:47 PM »

I love the little guitar part that goes "dee dee deedee" from BH into the riff signalling the start of the metal section.  hihi
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #1572 on: April 22, 2006, 08:09:25 PM »

This song is insane. It starts off as a pure pop-hip-hop intro with a voice reminiscent of Brittany Spears. That is not a bad thing. It goes amazingly well with the intro. I really like that intro.

It kicks in with a very simple sounding rhythm guitar riff. However, the pattern of the rhythm is very difficult and odd. That's the beauty of this piece. It's so simple, yet the rhythm is the hardest part of the song to catch. A

fter the 2nd chorus, Buckethead owns his guitar with a solo that makes you think "New Age on top of Pantera/Slayer rhythm." At the end of his solo, Buckethead uses his killswitch. That part makes me want to fucking knock somebody out. It's so intense.

After the solo, the head-banging metal part kicks in. It sends an adrenaline riff through you if you're playing drums or guitar along with it, or even when you're just groovin' to the music.

Then the voice kicks in...Axl...screaming with anger...he's pissed definitely because of some heartless bitch.

And finally, Robin's industrial past owns a part of the song. With a 7/8 signature, it really is a reminder of "Oh My God". The two riffs are very similar.

The only off-set of the entire 5 minute long epic song is the computer techno part. I am hoping that they will add a drum fill in place of it.

After that, Buckethead strikes once again with a classical technique of his, slap guitar with a wah-wah pedal set all the way back. (Yes, it's definitely his famous slap-'n'-pop technique.)

Robin's solo is the most emotional part of the song. It makes you really get a feel for what Axl went through. It makes you think about the song. Its meaning, its focus, its point.

The song finally dies down with the same riff from the intro.

All in all, we can definitely tell there are several influences. Industiral, New Age, Hip-hop (if not Rap), Techno, and Metal.

And we can also tell that Buckethead wrote more than half the parts of this song, due to the new age feel and the odd rhythm pattern (in mentioning the pattern of the rhythm, I do not mean the order of the verses and the arrangement or anything, but the pattern of the picking. It's 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3, 1, 1-2-3, and many songs follow ordinary patterns such as 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, so on and so forth).
Siliconmessiah
« Reply #1573 on: April 23, 2006, 10:01:11 AM »

I love the little guitar part that goes "dee dee deedee" from BH into the riff signalling the start of the metal section.  hihi

I guess I know what part you mean...the di di dididididididididideooow-part, right?   rofl

It?s great!

And another great guitar-part is the one going in to the last verse, before the "naa naaa naaa" part.

Like in minute 3.42 of the song.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:08:37 PM by Siliconmessiah » Logged
Steel_Angel
« Reply #1574 on: April 23, 2006, 01:18:10 PM »

What is axl saying in the background at 4:00 thru 4:18?
JB9988
VIP

« Reply #1575 on: April 23, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »

BETTER FUCKING KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1576 on: April 23, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »

I think he is repeating " I know better"

He is saying it like this

IIIII knoooowww Bet-tah

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Jonathan
« Reply #1577 on: April 23, 2006, 01:28:13 PM »

IIIII knoooowww Bet-tah

I can actually here that too, a little bit, but I think it's just "aah-aah-aah-aah".
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #1578 on: April 23, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »

This song is insane. It starts off as a pure pop-hip-hop intro with a voice reminiscent of Brittany Spears. That is not a bad thing. It goes amazingly well with the intro. I really like that intro.

It kicks in with a very simple sounding rhythm guitar riff. However, the pattern of the rhythm is very difficult and odd. That's the beauty of this piece. It's so simple, yet the rhythm is the hardest part of the song to catch.

After the 2nd chorus, Buckethead owns his guitar with a solo that makes you think "New Age on top of Pantera/Slayer rhythm." At the end of his solo, Buckethead uses his killswitch. That part makes me want to fucking knock somebody out. It's so intense.

After the solo, the head-banging metal part kicks in. It sends an adrenaline riff through you if you're playing drums or guitar along with it, or even when you're just groovin' to the music.

Then the voice kicks in...Axl...screaming with anger...he's pissed definitely because of some heartless bitch.

And finally, Robin's industrial past owns a part of the song. With a 7/8 signature, it really is a reminder of "Oh My God". The two riffs are very similar.

The only off-set of the entire 5 minute long epic song is the computer techno part. I am hoping that they will add a drum fill in place of it.

After that, Buckethead strikes once again with a classical technique of his, slap guitar with a wah-wah pedal set all the way back. (Yes, it's definitely his famous slap-'n'-pop technique.)

Robin's solo is the most emotional part of the song. It makes you really get a feel for what Axl went through. It makes you think about the song. Its meaning, its focus, its point.

The song finally dies down with the same riff from the intro.

All in all, we can definitely tell there are several influences. Industiral, New Age, Hip-hop (if not Rap), Techno, and Metal.

And we can also tell that Buckethead wrote more than half the parts of this song, due to the new age feel and the odd rhythm pattern (in mentioning the pattern of the rhythm, I do not mean the order of the verses and the arrangement or anything, but the pattern of the picking. It's 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3, 1, 1-2-3, and many songs follow ordinary patterns such as 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, so on and so forth).

nice analogy! good post man

And I agree 110% about the rhythm, it seems so simple but it's very, very hard to get a finger on it. Very strange pattern indeed. I love it.  Cheesy

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1579 on: April 23, 2006, 01:39:54 PM »

IIIII knoooowww Bet-tah

I can actually here that too, a little bit, but I think it's just "aah-aah-aah-aah".

If you listen close I think its I know better.
It could be Nah Nah Nah Nah, but I know better sounds cool  Tongue

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: