Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:39:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228561 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 255005 times)
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #1500 on: March 19, 2006, 02:28:29 AM »

I can't say why, but I think that Robin plays the rhythm (power chords) on this song and Richard plays the higher, more experimental guitar.  It just seems more like his Love Spit Love and Psychedelic Furs stuff.  If I remember right, this was the song that was recorded around the same time as Zodiac and Atlas Shrugged as detailed by some journalist (don't remember who- can anyone help?)  Anyway, that would be recent enough for Richard to have more involvement than just rerecording Paul's rhythm parts....

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #1501 on: March 19, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »

the last solo is god like it rocks ok

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1502 on: March 19, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »

wow some of you must listen to these songs like detectives.
badapple81
« Reply #1503 on: March 20, 2006, 07:55:06 AM »

wow some of you must listen to these songs like detectives.

Well Better is a great song! The others I can understand why some might not like. But Better is just awesome.. a solid 9/10.

I remember someone who worked on the songs described some as 'fire and ice'.. this is surely one of them.. the tempo changes are just awesome.. at first it sounded a bit cut and paste but it was just something new to get used to. I can see how Axl was influenced by the style of Queen, not necessarily in the sound of the song.. but in the tempo changes.. like Bicycle Race for example.
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #1504 on: March 20, 2006, 03:17:09 PM »

fire and ice....... alright thats good .... i hope like they make a kilar music video out of Better and Twat would be cool too

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1505 on: March 20, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »

this song without a doubt is an instant GNr classic

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Sparksry
VIP

« Reply #1506 on: March 20, 2006, 09:15:36 PM »

agreed

- Stewie Griffin-
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1507 on: March 20, 2006, 11:02:48 PM »

Realizing it's just a demo..

The song is the best and worst of Axl.

Good lyrics and vocal, catchy hook.

Disjointed and lacking flow musically, schizo.

Would not be surprised if the final outcome has an entirely different arrangement.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #1508 on: March 20, 2006, 11:07:37 PM »

Would not be surprised if the final outcome has an entirely different arrangement.

I hope so. The  song has promise, but the transition  needs to be fixed.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1509 on: March 20, 2006, 11:23:32 PM »

I hope so. The? song has promise, but the transition? needs to be fixed.

The song itself reflects my high expectations and at the same time, my misgivings about the album in general.

I have no doubts Axl will sound great and have smart/thoughtful lyrical content.

That said..

Musically, I'm just not sure if it'll be a cohesive/focused body of work.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #1510 on: March 20, 2006, 11:26:00 PM »

I hope so. The? song has promise, but the transition? needs to be fixed.

The song itself reflects my high expectations and at the same time, my misgivings about the album in general.

I have no doubts Axl will sound great and have smart/thoughtful lyrical content.

That said..

I love BH and dare i say this. The parts of the songs on the demos that need to be fixed are his and not Robins. Robins solos are really great but BHs are just lacking save the last BH solo in TWAT. I think that is one of the reasons he and the band didnt get along.  BHs solos just dont fit in some of the songs

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1511 on: March 20, 2006, 11:42:45 PM »

I love BH and dare i say this. The parts of the songs on the demos that need to be fixed are his and not Robins. Robins solos are really great but BHs are just lacking save the last BH solo in TWAT. I think that is one of the reasons he and the band didnt get along.? BHs solos just dont fit in some of the songs

I dig BH as well and agree, some of his stuff just does not "fit" in these demos.?

I don't think his work is solely responsible for the lack of flow, but it does compound the situation for sure.? Arrangements will be definitely need some reworking, transitions really need to improve while other parts just need to be removed.? I don't think the "3 song in 1" thing will fly in the final outcome.

In it's present state, this song just doesn't work for me.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #1512 on: March 21, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »

totally disagree. What is so schizo about this song? Unpredicatble yes, schizo no. Fuck Navvaro. Who cares what he has to say.

This song is simpy amazing. I have been blasting this song in my car and it gives me chills everytime. I wasnt sure if this band could deliver and anthem but they proved me wrong. This is an instant GNR classic.
You keep throwing around this unfocused nonsense but I just dont get it. What is so unfocused about it? Because it stops and changes musically?  It changes sounds? Would you consider bohemian rhapsody an unfocused, unorganized song? Just because theres this pre concieved notion of Axl and this band wanting to do eveything under the sun doesnt mean evey song is unfouced becaus eits different. If it works it works...and for me atleast it more than works. Its a masterpiece. I rememeber all the old arguments of cowbells, and all this techno crap. Whered that go? Out the door. Its all nonsense. This song has everything in it. And it works. Just ebcause it has everything doesnt mean Axl and the band were bored 1 day trying to copy every phase out there. For all we know this was the first take of the song and the way the band jammed out to it. It rocks Case closed

Everything about this song rocks and makes me just wanna rock out. I love the Bucket solo, I love the crazy Axl vocals in the middle{which I hated at first}, I love the sound effects and stopping of the song and then the build up, I love the outro...everything about this song is simply amazing. Its a sure hit. Cant wait to hear the final production

this song has everything but most importantly its something refreshing and it has big balls!...

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #1513 on: March 21, 2006, 12:08:15 AM »

Better is a great song and like I said, they just need to fix the transltional flow when it goes from pop to metal then back to pop. The robot masterbating part has to do.

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #1514 on: March 21, 2006, 12:13:25 AM »

they dont need to fix anything other than the production and final mix of this song. Nothing has to be added or cut. This song is perfect

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1515 on: March 21, 2006, 12:20:45 AM »

totally disagree. What is so schizo about this song? Unpredicatble yes, schizo no. Fuck Navvaro. Who cares what he has to say.

This song is simpy amazing. I have been blasting this song in my car and it gives me chills everytime. I wasnt sure if this band could deliver and anthem but they proved me wrong. This is an instant GNR classic.
You keep throwing around this unfocused nonsense but I just dont get it. What is so unfocused about it? Because it stops and changes musically?? It changes sounds? Would you consider bohemian rhapsody an unfocused, unorganized song? Just because theres this pre concieved notion of Axl and this band wanting to do eveything under the sun doesnt mean evey song is unfouced becaus eits different. If it works it works...and for me atleast it more than works. Its a masterpiece. I rememeber all the old arguments of cowbells, and all this techno crap. Whered that go? Out the door. Its all nonsense. This song has everything in it. And it works. Just ebcause it has everything doesnt mean Axl and the band were bored 1 day trying to copy every phase out there. For all we know this was the first take of the song and the way the band jammed out to it. It rocks Case closed

Everything about this song rocks and makes me just wanna rock out. I love the Bucket solo, I love the crazy Axl vocals in the middle{which I hated at first}, I love the sound effects and stopping of the song and then the build up, I love the outro...everything about this song is simply amazing. Its a sure hit. Cant wait to hear the final production

this song has everything but most importantly its something refreshing and it has big balls!...

Settle down YG, don't take it personal.? Seems as though you've lost perspective in your excitement.

An educated guess says this tune will sound a bit different in the final analysis.?

Maybe alot different.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #1516 on: March 21, 2006, 12:26:16 AM »

im not taking it personal but I hate when I read terms like schizo and unfocused when most of these songs are clearly not. Will the album as a whole be diverse. Yes it will. DOes that mean its unfocused? But we all know that goin in. There will be all kinds of songs on this album. Thats just Axl. Hes not gonna do a straight foward in your face pure rock album. So I guess from Illusions on hes a schizo, unfocused artist..idk but I liek it. And millions of others like it. As long as the songs they put out rock in their own way I could carless

as for the final sound of this song. You might be right. It might sound a lot different now that Bucket is out. Unless they have a version that is better than this, they should in no way shape or form change it. The song is amazing for me.

and if they do change it, atleast I/we have the demo....lol

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1517 on: March 21, 2006, 12:33:54 AM »

im not taking it personal but I hate when I read terms like schizo and unfocused when most of these songs are clearly not.

Understood, although I think those are terms that will definitely be used when describing this song in particular.?

and if they do change it, atleast I/we have the demo....lol

There's the silver lining, no matter how it comes out you've got a version that works for you.

No reason to get defensive because it doesn't work in it's present form for someone else.? Myself, dave-gnfnr2k or Dave Navarro for that matter.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #1518 on: March 21, 2006, 12:43:01 AM »

All they need to add are two bridges I am sure Fortus or Finck could have written or have written something to make it flow a little better.

misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #1519 on: March 21, 2006, 12:52:33 AM »

I like how it moves from fire to ice the way it does. But I agree that Bucket takes away from the song in a few spots. Out of place.

Robin is the soul of these new songs without a doubt.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: